Deleted

Question Moving WoW Folder from 32bit to 64bit Windows

So.. I have this harddrive thats currently installed with Windows 7 32bit, and I want to re-install it with 64bit.

My question then is, can I copy my WoW Folder from the Windows.old (32bit) and paste it in the 64bit Program files or whatever?

Please help

Yes you can. It wont cause any problems.

Deleted
    Thank you very much!

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account
    Just moving it wont magically make it a 64bit application, it will run but still as a 32bit application. Move it and install the 64bit stuff for full effect.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by looorg View Post
    Just moving it wont magically make it a 64bit application, it will run but still as a 32bit application. Move it and install the 64bit stuff for full effect.
    This is correct. If you want to use the 64x application, follow these steps here and you should be able to run the 64x application of WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Best practice would be to stick it in the Program Files (x86) folder.

Or set up the x64 client.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post

Or set up the x64 client.
    Not entirely sure why you think that, but it makes no difference in this case. World of Warcraft is designed to be a fully portable program, it doesn't make any difference where the root World of Warcraft folder is stored. Since the two actual clients to run the game in 32-bit or 64-bit modes are actually completely separate. The program files x86 is only there to easily show which programs are installed as 32-bit only. For the most part very few programs actually require to be installed in this folder.

15+ Year Old Account
    Actually, in Windows 7/Vista, that's a bad idea. The UAC permissions usually cause all types of problems with the config files that addons write.

No. Best practice is to keep it away from both User folder and Program Files (32 and 64 bit varieties) because of UAC conflicts. To make it easier to access manually into screenshots and addons folders, stick WoW into root of C: drive.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have WoW installed on a portable USB drive lol. That way, I can run it anywhere I want :-)

I also have it installed on my main PC at home, but not on my laptop that I take to work. WoW has to be the most portable game I've ever seen. Very handy.

Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz View Post
    Actually, in Windows 7/Vista, that's a bad idea. The UAC permissions usually cause all types of problems with the config files that addons write.
    Erm, last I checked, most people turn UAC off? Unless you're running a public computer for some reason (or do you REALLY not trust your family that much?) UAC is too much of a hindrance to be left on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz View Post
    They'll be stored in the users profile, where arguably they should be stored in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    Erm, last I checked, most people turn UAC off? Unless you're running a public computer for some reason (or do you REALLY not trust your family that much?) UAC is too much of a hindrance to be left on.
    Then most people are idiots. UAC was hindrance in first version of Vista, but in SP1 and in Win7 it was fixed and turning it off now is a tragic mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkXale View Post
    They'll be stored in the users profile, where arguably they should be stored in the first place.
    WoW does not play well with UAC mechanics, never has, and addons really should not be under user profiles as the game is designed to be portable.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    WoW does not play well with UAC mechanics, never has
    Worked just fine the last few months, with patching and all.
    Last edited by mmoca371db5304; 2012-06-30 at 09:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkXale View Post
    Worked just fine the last few months, with patching and all.
    Yep, it works for some, but considering the amount of people who have problems with it... It's not recommended to roll a dice with it.
    Trolling should be.

Hoof Hearted!!!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Actually, it does not matter where you put the WoW directory when you paste it to your newly reformatted harddrive. Simply open the WoW directory where you put it and right click on the launcher file and select Run as Administrator for the read/write permissions to be set as well as the registry entries, of which there are only 2. My WoW installs are not in the x86 or the 64 bit Program Files folder on either of my computers.
    when all else fails, read the STICKIES.

Step by step:

1. Defrag your hard drive to make sure the files are condensed and the maximum amount of hard drive space is available.

2. Use the windows partition utility to make a new partition big enough for what you need.

3. Install windows 64 bit to that partition.

4. Copy your wow folder straight across to that partition.

5. Download the wow 64 bit client files (it's really small, like 2 mb).

6. Extract the contents of the 64 bit client file straight to the main wow directory.

7. Start the wow launcher and open up the preferences, make sure the 'launch 32 bit client' option is disabled.

Follow steps 5-7 only if you want the 64 bit client installed as well. The 64 bit client is pretty stable (I've been running it since it came out, without incident). I would also suggest partitioning your hard drive in a way that separates your OS installation from the rest of your programs, especially large games that you have installed. This way if you need to do a fresh OS install, you don't have to reinstall all your games and other programs.

Good luck.