Poll: Fallout or Elder Scrolls?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I chose Fallout, but it was a tough choice. Only looking at the newer games, I'd say I enjoyed Fallout 3 & NV more than I enjoyed Skyrim or Oblivion. I have hundreds of hours in each game, but there was something about Fallout that edges past TES games. If I had to pinpoint one thing that stands out, I would have to say atmosphere. I also like the perks and I thought they did a good job with the VATS system. Granted, all of the games greatly benefit from mods since the default difficulty is usually set to "Can I Play, Daddy?"

Tried fallout 3, bored me to death, terrible story, awful combat system combined with the most uninteresting setting ever. TES all the way!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Window View Post
    Never really a fan of fallout the post apocalypse angle is cool to a degree but usually results in horrible maps, not to mention that music.....
    The eldar scrolls on the other hand., Always enjoy the dark brotherhood and thiefs guild and content like the shivering isles
    THE MUSIC!? That's what made it so great? You sir just lost some respect...

Deleted
    Let's make it simply, they took their weak engine and pasted gunfire in it, with some crappy RPG system ( IDK what is that targeting thing about, when all it does is giving player some serious, but random advantage ), not fluid, not fun.
    Then you've got TES series, which are mostly broken, but they do have nice parts, and fighting works quite well even in unmodified version ( and to be honest it's getting better every new game which is nice ).

So where is the choice? The only way to like "fallout" is to not experience any similar, but better game. Heck even Rage which failed critic quite hard is vastly superior experience, and how this can be better than Stalker?

On other hand, Fallout used to be game created really by gamers for gamers, cleverly creating quite unique environment, while building gameplay inspired by the best games to be released that time.

So my opinion, original trilogy was genious (though neither second fallout or tactics did add anything better than the first one offered), TES series were quite good (hard to tell which one was the best, but I'd said that the first one was not exceptionally great), and Fallout 3/NV were quite weak, overhyped material, that lost quite a lot value in Europe, where original was indeed quite popular.

I wasn't really sure how to vote, so I voted Elder Scrolls just because I've played it more, but I like the idea behind Fallout more.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    U like neither of the fight systems but i still want to play one of them ? Why? i mean u might aswell play something u like instead of following the hype.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoonalol View Post
    wat are the 2 gob mounts.. i only know the trike

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Heh it's fun really... When I play Elder Scrolls I end up missing Fallout features (V.A.T.S or the radio), and when I'm playing Fallout I end up missing Elder Scrolls features (horses, a world that isn't doomed, spells, fantasy)... But all in all... I enjoyed Oblivion more than Fallout. And I enjoyed Skyrim about as much as I enjoyed New Vegas.... I dunno... Meh, TES gets my vote.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

10+ Year Old Account
    i'd kill for a proper fallout mmorpg ( still coming bact to original Fallout at least once a year) , but from those two games ... neither

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiny212 View Post
    Tried fallout 3, bored me to death, terrible story, awful combat system combined with the most uninteresting setting ever. TES all the way!
    The combat system is the exact same thing honestly, and all Bethesda games have terrible stories (main stories that is).

---------- Post added 2012-06-30 at 07:16 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Bluesftw View Post
    i'd kill for a proper fallout mmorpg ( still coming bact to original Fallout at least once a year) , but from those two games ... neither
    A fallout mmo WAS in the making, but they stopped due to... Stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by wynnyelle View Post
    I like Fallout better myself. I could never get into the Elder Scrolls just because the combat always bothered me. Granted, Fallout isn't that much better (I think that VATS is a terrible system, but if you don't like FPS then it's good), but it's at least slightly more satisfying than Elder Scrolls combat. It also feels a little bit more complex to me, due to the stats and perks systems. Overall, I just think that they are better designed games than the Elder Scrolls. I'm interested to see what Bethesda has in store for us for Fallout 4.
    I feel exacly the same. Both fallout and Elders scrolls have amazing an story and rpg elements, but the combat in the elder scroll is so incredibly boring. It improved a lot in skyrim but its still the 1 mayor flaw of the elder scroll series.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Watskeburt View Post
    I feel exacly the same. Both fallout and Elders scrolls have amazing an story and rpg elements, but the combat in the elder scroll is so incredibly boring. It improved a lot in skyrim but its still the 1 mayor flaw of the elder scroll series.
    The combat is the exact same in TES and Fallout (3 and NV)... Only difference is V.A.T.S which is flawed and often bugs.

Quote Originally Posted by wynnyelle View Post
    I like Fallout better myself. I could never get into the Elder Scrolls just because the combat always bothered me. Granted, Fallout isn't that much better (I think that VATS is a terrible system, but if you don't like FPS then it's good), but it's at least slightly more satisfying than Elder Scrolls combat. It also feels a little bit more complex to me, due to the stats and perks systems. Overall, I just think that they are better designed games than the Elder Scrolls. I'm interested to see what Bethesda has in store for us for Fallout 4.
    Fallout and TES are not really FPS (First person Shooter) games, they are RPGs. Granted they have first person elements but there core game play consists of more then point and shoot bad guy.

Anyway, I would rank them Skyrim>Fallout: NV> Fallout 3>= Oblivion. I've heard Morrowind is good to but I haven't played it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    The combat system is the exact same thing honestly, and all Bethesda games have terrible stories (main stories that is).

---------- Post added 2012-06-30 at 07:16 PM ----------

A fallout mmo WAS in the making, but they stopped due to... Stuff.
    Yeah sure, the TES main stories tend to suck, the side stories however I found to be engaging and interesting, especially in skyrim/oblivion. There's also the fact that Fallout puts ALOT of stock into its main story, in TES it's not that big a deal. As for combat, the thing that lets you...autohit everyone in fallout is just plain lame and there's something off about shooting a person 10 times and him not dying, at least with arrows and swords that feels a tad better. Also again, setting an RPG in a post apocalyptic nuclear waste-land is just boring imho.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah sure, the TES main stories tend to suck, the side stories however I found to be engaging and interesting, especially in skyrim/oblivion. There's also the fact that Fallout puts ALOT of stock into its main story, in TES it's not that big a deal. As for combat, the thing that lets you...autohit everyone in fallout is just plain lame and there's something off about shooting a person 10 times and him not dying, at least with arrows and swords that feels a tad better. Also again, setting an RPG in a post apocalyptic nuclear waste-land is just boring imho.
    I *kinda* miss V.A.T.S in TES, but yeah - it's silly. Especially due to bugs, lag and the fact that the enemy can still damage you. Bleh.
    And yeah, critical hits and whatnot with modern firearms is silly... I mean, I just shot a guy in the face - close up - with a shotgun and it barely hurt him due to his chest armor... Da fuq?

That said, I never felt that Fallout put a lot more stock into their mainstory than TES, especially compared to Skyrim, which likes to shove Stormcloaks, Dragons and Imperials down your throat constantly.

---------- Post added 2012-06-30 at 08:03 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kaosbringer View Post
    Fallout and TES are not really FPS (First person Shooter) games, they are RPGs. Granted they have first person elements but there core game play consists of more then point and shoot bad guy.

Anyway, I would rank them Skyrim>Fallout: NV> Fallout 3>= Oblivion. I've heard Morrowind is good to but I haven't played it yet.
    The combat is however pure FPS. Oh and Morrowind was great for it's time, but after having experienced the luxuries added in Oblivion (a true journal, fast travel and a proper map) Morrowind just feels old. That said, I much MUCH MUCH more enjoyed Oblivion than Skyrim and Morrowind. I really didn't like Skyrim that much, not a fan of the american-vikings, and I missed the imperial city and the overall cozyness of Cyrodiil.

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    I *kinda* miss V.A.T.S in TES, but yeah - it's silly. Especially due to bugs, lag and the fact that the enemy can still damage you. Bleh.
    And yeah, critical hits and whatnot with modern firearms is silly... I mean, I just shot a guy in the face - close up - with a shotgun and it barely hurt him due to his chest armor... Da fuq?

That said, I never felt that Fallout put a lot more stock into their mainstory than TES, especially compared to Skyrim, which likes to shove Stormcloaks, Dragons and Imperials down your throat constantly.

---------- Post added 2012-06-30 at 08:03 PM ----------

The combat is however pure FPS. Oh and Morrowind was great for it's time, but after having experienced the luxuries added in Oblivion (a true journal, fast travel and a proper map) Morrowind just feels old. That said, I much MUCH MUCH more enjoyed Oblivion than Skyrim and Morrowind. I really didn't like Skyrim that much, not a fan of the american-vikings, and I missed the imperial city and the overall cozyness of Cyrodiil.
    Yeah you're right in Skyrim they DO needlessly push the story on you. Like, I feel awkward if I'm playing an Orc or some other "alien" race to skyrim as everything's about dragonborne this and that and talos-worshipping. In Oblivion I didn't really ever mind the main story, the daemon gates and all that never really mattered if you didn't want it to and I ignored it most of the time.

Only thing about skyrim that's better than oblivion is the updated graphics and improved combat tbh, I miss Cyrodiil...

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah you're right in Skyrim they DO needlessly push the story on you. Like, I feel awkward if I'm playing an Orc or some other "alien" race to skyrim as everything's about dragonborne this and that and talos-worshipping. In Oblivion I didn't really ever mind the main story, the daemon gates and all that never really mattered if you didn't want it to and I ignored it most of the time.

Only thing about skyrim that's better than oblivion is the updated graphics and improved combat tbh, I miss Cyrodiil...
    And the nord voice... URGH the terrible swede-german accent done by an american is just FOUL. That and I utterly hate the Stormcloaks and Ulfric, the whole "DIS IS OUR COUNTRY!" crap despite the fact that you are told that both elves, orcs and forsworn lived in Skyrim before the nords. Urgh.

10+ Year Old Account

I have a hard time getting back into Oblivion after Skyrim.
    Putin khuliyo

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    I have a hard time getting back into Oblivion after Skyrim.
    I haven't tried, but despite liking Oblivion a lot more, I'm pretty sure I'd have a hard time going back to Oblivion. I mean, the time has passed and all such.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Patchouli Knowledge View Post
    They always remind me of Arnold Schwarznegger. Especially the Nord brute guy in the Whiterun palace.
    EXACTLY! He might as well tell me to "GET TO DA CHOPPA!". Now, I'm danish, I know plenty of norwegian and swedes - and I've yet to meet anyone who sounded german. Sigh.

10+ Year Old Account
    I get enough fantasy in most RPGs, not too many post apocalyptic ones. I'd say fallout just because I didn't get into the elder scrolls games until skyrim (and that's because a buddy of mine talked me into buying it).