Page 1 of 765
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

[Megathread] Path of Exile

Title: Path of Exile
    Developer: Grinding Gear Games (New Zealand)
    Genre: Action RPG
    Model: F2P, cosmetic cash shop
    Status: Open Beta as of 01/23/13! The game is in soft release. It is currently free to both download and play. No purchase necessary, however there are minor conveniences and cosmetic perks available.

Check out GGG's Open Beta official Trailer here.

EDIT (1:32 PM CST, 01.30.2013): Open Beta is official as of 01.23! Updated healine game information accordingly.

EDIT (10:25 AM CST, 01.20.2013): Updated Official Open Beta release information, added a YouTube link to the Open Beta official Grinding Gear Games Trailer.

EDIT (1:14 PM CST, 10.8.2012): Updated open beta information with link from dev post.

EDIT (8:44 AM CST, 10.8.2012): Updating some info for the OP here. A few weeks ago we got patch 0.9.11. It's been great so far. The Maps end-game system is quite a success. Very accessible to start out with for a fresh 58+. Full patch notes here. Note the substantial skill tree update and free respec for everyone.

On a similar note, we've gotten a grand total of 24 more unique items implemented into the game in under 3 weeks, including the re-implemented legacy ones. If that doesn't impress you, I don't know what will. Get to hunting!

Another interesting highlight is patch 0.9.11h. Your poor mouse hand finally catches a break.

This game is developing at an amazing pace. Please support GGG.

EDIT (9 AM CST, 27.7.2012): Open beta weekend incoming in 10 hours. Come try the game so you'll buy permanent beta access. (You will) Also, let's help them stress their servers to the max.

Opinions incoming

After being disappointed with Diablo III overall, I decided to take a look at this game that a friend told me about a few weeks ago. It takes some of the best features that most of us loved from Diablo II, makes them better, and adds countless more.

I. Character build diversity
    -In this game, the class you select is arguably a cosmetic choice. This is the Passive Skill Tree that every class has access to, affectionately dubbed "Skilldrassil" by some.
    -Your class affects how much of each primary attribute you start with and your starting position on the Skill Tree. For example a Ranger starts with 30 dexterity and has early access to many dexterity related passives, as well as those which increase her ability to wield bows and 1-handed melee weapons. On the other hand, the Marauder starts with 30 Strength and has early access to many passives involving Strength, Armor, increased ability to wield shields, 1-handers and 2-handers, and things like that.
    -The main point is that any class can eventually use ANY build, it just may take longer to access it depending on the class you select. For example a Witch would have a hard time building for strength and sword/board combat, but it's possible.
    -Oh, and the level cap is 100. (Good luck ever reaching it ever.)

II. Replay value/Long-term playability
    -Ah, yes. The modern ARPG's natural enemy. Well, don't worry about it. Other than an almost endless ability to reroll a new character due to the above stated points, we will also get maps. Read the link for the features of the map system.

III. Itemization
    -This was a problem that many, including me, had with how Diablo III turned out. Here's a quote from the lead POE devs at GGG:
    Whenever we’re faced with a new system to design, the first question we ask is “How can we put this on an item?”
    -I read that and I thought "Wow. These guys know what ARPG fans want."
    -Let's discuss "Uniques" (legendaries, I suppose) for a second here. If you take a look at a few of the uniques created so far, you'll see that these items are truly the essence of what unique items should be.
    -For example, take a look at some of these. (Scroll down for a list of viewable item links). These are great. These are unique pieces of equipment, that in many cases, completely change the way you play your character.

For the rest of the game, I think that I'd be depriving you of a ripping good read if I just copy/pasted too much more from the website. Go there, look at the game, and if you like what you see, support this game developer. $10 gets you in for all beta testing from then on.

I will say that they have used A LOT of what Diablo II had. To some extent even I would agree that it's a bit too much. I mean... item quality being white>blue>yellow>orange? It couldn't be ANY different? Fortunately that's a minor thing, and if it works why break it?

Anyway, check the game out. If you felt D3 had a lot missing from what you loved about D2, you'll like it.

Recommended reads from their site:
    Barter system currency
    New Player FAQ
    Additional FAQ
    Public Player-made Mumble Server
    Last edited by Aurinax; 2013-01-30 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Updated open beta information
    Playing Path of Exile and Guild Wars 2

I've been in the closed beta since just before xmass last year and it is prety damn good for what is to be free to play. taking aspects of ff7 and 10 and incorporating it very well into the game...the new maps system that is supposed to be in the next patch looks sweet...just need to get to max level to try them

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lagwin View Post
    I've been in the closed beta since just before xmass last year and it is prety damn good for what is to be free to play. taking aspects of ff7 and 10 and incorporating it very well into the game...the new maps system that is supposed to be in the next patch looks sweet...just need to get to max level to try them
    The great thing is maps DON'T require max level

I believe the lowest level ones are around level 60.

10+ Year Old Account
    I signed up for the beta after watching TB's WTF is video on it. It looks very interesting, and something about it reminds me of that older RPG feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurinax View Post
    The great thing is maps DON'T require max level

I believe the lowest level ones are around level 60.
    I worded that poorly...should be the soft level cap(60) as the op getting to 100 will a while

10+ Year Old Account
    Added some recommended reads to the bottom.

here's the link to the skill tree they use for all your passive buffs http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/
    As you can see the tree is huge and there is plenty of choice in what you can do...here's a vid of a melee witch from the build of the week the dev's have been doing

Deleted
    PLayed it a little at open beta and just got into the closed beta for like 10 hours ago.. think i will pick it up again

After losing all interest in Diablo 3 I decided to donate $10 for a beta key last week and don't regret it at all.

This game is going to be a smash hit. It is everything that I hoped Diablo 3 would be. Try it out, watch some videos, read the FAQ, you won't regret it. It's an amazing game made by an indie developer. The developer (Grinding Gear Games) has put a lot of effort into it. The quality is very high, the skill tree is awesome, and there's room for a lot more customization. PoE has more in common with Diablo 2 than Diablo 3 does. Blizzard is getting outdone by an Indie developer. If you don't believe go see for yourself. I was very disappointed with the current state of the ARPG genre until I started playing this gem. It's still in beta and feels more complete than Diablo 3 does 2 months after release.

Open beta is planned for mid August.

Mulling over what to do with my legendary items in the meantime. Maybe somebody wants to buy them... hmmm? ;p

May actually pick this game up but im concerned with how MASSIVE the character spec is.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've managed to get into a few of the betas, and so far, I absolutely freaking LOVE it. Like others have said, THIS is what I was expecting from D3. Really can't wait for this game to launch, but I do want them to take their time and get it right!

Also, in the times I've been in beta, a lot of the devs have been in as well. Chat is usually feverish with people asking them questions, them asking us questions, taking ideas, talking about art design, etc. It's actually been one of the most fun betas I've ever been in!
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    Also, in the times I've been in beta, a lot of the devs have been in as well. Chat is usually feverish with people asking them questions, them asking us questions, taking ideas, talking about art design, etc. It's actually been one of the most fun betas I've ever been in!
    That is actually really great to hear and the first i've heard of developers doing such a thing.

I think im falling inlove with Grinding Gears.

The passive tree? It's not as intimidating as it seems at first glance. It's big but rather straight forward.

There are also a series of Build of the Week videos they put out that show off basic concepts that are easy to learn. With a dash of advance usages in the developer commentary.

To wit~

The new end game map system looks flipping amazing!!

http://www.pathofexile.com/news/2012...dev-diary-maps

Deleted
    If it had rmah, I'd love it long time, but cash shop means that you cant get everything just by playing : (, /sigh, way to go to ruin something that otherwise would be the perfect diablo-like-game ><

I'm still pretty meh on the combat, especially, but currency items, bartering in general, and the map system all make it sufficiently distinct enough for me. Until I had a few crippling technical problems due to my bad comp, I was really, really enjoying the beta.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    The passive tree? It's not as intimidating as it seems at first glance. It's big but rather straight forward.
    First glance my jaw honestly dropped.

Might buy my way into beta, I assume the 1 closed beta key is for myself? Not one extra to give away?

Quote Originally Posted by Chonaire View Post
    If it had rmah, I'd love it long time, but cash shop means that you cant get everything just by playing : (, /sigh, way to go to ruin something that otherwise would be the perfect diablo-like-game ><
    Only thing sold in the cash shop is cosmetics.

Quote Originally Posted by Caiada View Post
    Only thing sold in the cash shop is cosmetics.
    Actually hope they expand on that to mini-pets/emotes/cosmetic armor/weapons maybe even wings like Diablo CE etc, I hope the game goes well don't want to see it rise and fall.

Quote Originally Posted by Chonaire View Post
    They sell cosmetics in the cash shop and a few conveniences. Pricing is like 3$ USD for things like extra bank space. Which is account wide, unlocked on all leagues and such.

Considering that the game is F2P and can reach a broader audience than an indie developer can afford to market- I'd say making the claim even subjectively that they ruined their game for accepting a 3$ tip is somewhat dim.

The game could never survive on box sales. Too niche, too small a company. They rely on word of mouth, tips and good gameplay.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-07-10 at 05:44 AM.