Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    I don't like it at all. Not only in it's history it had tons of problems - for me their crap browser requires tons of page reloads just to successfully load a page, but mainly the completely useless layer you need to run just to play games. I personally can't see any real advantages using it, over integrating stuff in web server and loading specific functions in game only - like Battle.net. Sure you have some extra buttonz in browser, but not anything better than simple bookmark you can use everywhere, and you can chat with peoplz that are not logged in any game yet. Nothing worth running another layer that is actually not even fast or lightweight at all.

But WTH, this sits perfectly with the trend in industry, where the better hardware we have, the more inefficient is our work.

If Steam had a better offline mode than it would be perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Franuki View Post
    Mass Effect 3 isn't on Steam.
    OT: Neither is BF3

What i think is really stupid with steam is that the programm only starts programms that has the files in the map they want , and not just on the computer. I can basicly put MW3 in every file on my computer it can get on , but exclude the Steam map , and it wont launch , even though i got the required files and everything

Steam is a DRM, just like Battle.net. The strange thing is customers (like us) accept this type of DRM. TBH I'm glad there's at least 1 DRM that peeps accept.

The only thing I dont like about steam is they tend to maintain a higher pricepoint for games long after most other retaliers have permantly discounted the game. This is somewhat offset by the massive sales steam does summer and winter. I've taken to putting off getting some games through steam and just wait till it comes up on sale. Nearly everything in their catalog lands on a 50-75% off sale during their 2 big sales events. Watch the listings and stock up and your set for the next 4-5 months.

The thing really in steams favor is its the least obnoxious form of online DRM out there. nothing like the D3 always online DRM, with steam it only needs an internet connection the first time you launch the game on a computer, after that you can pull the internet cable for all it cares unless your trying to do online multiplayer.

Who is John Galt?

10+ Year Old Account
    They use steam as their DRM. That is one big reason why a lot of new games force you to use steam.

---------- Post added 2012-07-06 at 08:45 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Merendel View Post
    The only thing I dont like about steam is they tend to maintain a higher pricepoint for games long after most other retaliers have permantly discounted the game. This is somewhat offset by the massive sales steam does summer and winter. I've taken to putting off getting some games through steam and just wait till it comes up on sale. Nearly everything in their catalog lands on a 50-75% off sale during their 2 big sales events. Watch the listings and stock up and your set for the next 4-5 months.

The thing really in steams favor is its the least obnoxious form of online DRM out there. nothing like the D3 always online DRM, with steam it only needs an internet connection the first time you launch the game on a computer, after that you can pull the internet cable for all it cares unless your trying to do online multiplayer.
    Some games wont play on steam in offline mode as they require a connection to some server. Single player too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    I recommend some ice for your feet mate. With the trail of hot takes you're leaving in this thread they must be burning.

Deleted
    I think the main reasons why they use steam (or systems like that) is cost. Patching and so on, so that you have the most recent up to date version of a game with bug fixes etc, is all done automatically. There's no need for the company to chase customers to inform them of the update, plus they don't have to change retail packaging and disks to reflect the most recent versions of the game.

Customers should be given a choice though. If you don't want steam, and don't care about the bug fixes and so on, then it should be made easier to play the game as a standalone item without it (IMHO)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Seweryn View Post
    Is this some plan to destroy shops that sells games or what ?
    What caused developers to take this course of action.
    These imo are the two most important deciding factors.

Is this some plan to destroy shops that sells games or what ?
    The developers are trying to take the games industry online only, anyone can see this for themselves, I dont know of a single game that is not avalible to download direct from steam, Origin, or direct from the the creator themselves. I can also see why this is a good business idea, what company would not want to sell directly to the consumers without the distribution costs involved in printing box's, pressing DVD's. Shipping, etc. When they can set up a couple of servers for a fraction of the cost then sell directly, or even use the P2P network and ignore the cost of servers altogether

What caused developers to take this course of action.
    Two reasons that immediately come to mind, Money (see previous Paragraph) and People selling used games, which goes back to my previous statement about money. The creators don't like it that we (and shops) trade in used games once we finish with them, in fact the games industry is the only one I know of that actually gets there knickers in a twist over this. You don't see Ford start to say that they will want to charge a fee if someone buys a use Ford Focus, Where as on next gen consoles it is rumored that you will be able to trade in used games, but you have to pay an unlocking fee to use them.

As you can see, it has come down to one thing, and one thing alone. Money. They want to stop you saving money from store special offers, used games, and trade in's whilst at the same time reducing their costs without lowering there price's through digital distribution.

I have nothing against digital distribution as a method of obtaining games, I would if I chose this method expect to see a reduction in the price of the game I am buying. if I chose to go into a shop and buy the game, then I would expect it to be of a higher cost than the online version due to packaging etc. However this is not the case. It is not has not been unusual for shops in the past to sell big title games lower than the digitally distributed version and this is mainly due to retailers making there money on the used game's market.

If you are worried about cheating in an online game then getting your steam account banned Here is an idea, DON'T CHEAT and if you do and your account does get banned then its your own damn fault