Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Irony View Post
    For how much they want. I'm glad we didn't sign them. Neither are worth that.

---------- Post added 2012-07-04 at 04:37 PM ----------

With Backstrom's contract over next season... Sadly yes they will.
    Apparently other teams were offering more, but generally for one player or the other.

---------- Post added 2012-07-04 at 07:22 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    What a waste.

The only reason I don't like Minnesota though is their colour scheme and logo are horrid. lol.
    They should go back to being the North Stars if Dallas ever gets moved or folded.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can't believe Parise and Suter signed 13 year deals with Minnesota. They better hope it's a damn good fit because if not they're fucked. I also think their color scheme and logo are atrocious.

10+ Year Old Account
    When the hell did you move to Halifax?
    Yesterday, which is why I was inactive.
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Yesterday, which is why I was inactive.
    Where! And why!
    red panda red panda red panda!

10+ Year Old Account
    Where! And why!
    Quinpool and possible School. Got burnt out at my last job.

---------- Post added 2012-07-05 at 02:07 AM ----------

Matt Carle gone to Tampa. 6 years 33M. That's not too much of an overpay tbh.
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

Here is another little wtf? fact. Combined total of Suter/Parise = 196 million. Price Leiopold sold the Preds for in 2008, 193 million.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quinpool and possible School. Got burnt out at my last job.[COLOR="red"]
    Ah. I am on the other side of the dirty harbour. In between the bridges.

There's a couple others here from Halifax if I am not mistaken. I propose this coming season to hit up a bar and yell at the TVs playing games!

Here is another little wtf? fact. Combined total of Suter/Parise = 196 million. Price Leiopold sold the Preds for in 2008, 193 million.
    Honestly I think both of them signing there due to family was a foolish decision.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
    Which is still over $20 million more than the Yotes are worth right now after a period of pretty aggressive inflation lol.

---------- Post added 2012-07-05 at 05:23 PM ----------

Semin is considering offers from several teams and the KHL. Sources say he wants to play in the NHL though.

---------- Post added 2012-07-05 at 05:29 PM ----------

Weber apparently wants out of Nashville. Can't wait to see if they trade him or if someone gives him an offer sheet. If someone gives him an offer sheet for 1 year at ~$7.8 million the Preds will lose him even if they match. You can't trade a player you match a sheet for so Weber would walk away for nothing next offseason just like Suter just did. If they don't match they at least get two firsts, a second, and a third at that salary. If I'm the Preds I look to deal him and get what you can get now since it looks damn bleak that he has any interest in signing long term with them according to his agents.

---------- Post added 2012-07-05 at 05:33 PM ----------

Fun Coyotes news. Apparently a petition was just handed in by the citizens of Glendale to overturn the sales tax increase that was going to be used to fund the lease agreement. The other petition to make the lease agreement a ballot issue should be done and filed by July 16th. If the current petition ends up being valid the city is going to have to scrape up some other idea to fund the lease agreement.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    Weber apparently wants out of Nashville. Can't wait to see if they trade him or if someone gives him an offer sheet. If someone gives him an offer sheet for 1 year at ~$7.8 million the Preds will lose him even if they match. You can't trade a player you match a sheet for so Weber would walk away for nothing next offseason just like Suter just did. If they don't match they at least get two firsts, a second, and a third at that salary. If I'm the Preds I look to deal him and get what you can get now since it looks damn bleak that he has any interest in signing long term with them according to his agents.
    Poile will do whatever it takes to keep Weber on board, losing Suter hurt enough. But I agree with you, if we gonna lose him anyway trade him now. If he signs an offer sheet let him walk and take the compensation. Better than just him walking away next year without anything in return.

That said, losing both our elite D-man in one off-season would hurt like hell.

Hard to say, according to his agent he was shocked that Suter didn't come back. That either means he's doing the same acting job that Suter did, or he got fooled by Suter too.

My bet, he's gone before the season even starts. After the Suter thing I'm thinking that if Poile doesn't get him to sign early, or he starts getting the same lip service he will trade him off. If someone offer sheets him at nearly 8 million I think they let him go too. Most of the fans early on thought Weber would be the one to bail, with him possibly staying because Suter would. I think most of us are pretty conviced he bails for a major market and tries to buddy up with a friend like Suter did.

From the interviews I've read, Leipold said they got Suter/Parise because thats what they wanted, they weren't even looking to get both. Pretty sure at this point and time this was something thats been discussed between them since at least the All Star break, maybe even before.

15+ Year Old Account
    Suter to Minnesota and Carle to Tampa Bay... Weber to Detroit perhaps?

Unless he deals with Nashville for a year until the Wild can actually afford him.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm sure some of you read Puck Daddy and I know people read the G&M in Canada, so you probably saw this. Apparently there have been talks that the NHL may consider the end option of folding the Yotes and playing with 29 teams and have a dispersal draft. That would be so freaking nuts. Some people are of the opinion that the NHL is looking to move into that shiny new building near Toronto in 2015 before they expand to Quebec and Seattle or other markets.

I didnt see that on yahoo (i hate the new sports layout btw) but why not have one of those spots that is nearly finished be used for team #30 rather than scratching it for 2-3 years, and then when thats finished if they really wanted to, add 2 new teams expansion wise and make the money from that? Or would that spread things out too much?

Side note Flyers lost out on Suter/Parise (which I honestly expected, and not really disappointed in), lost Carle, signed some rather unknown D-man from TB for less than a mill and bring back Fedotanko >.<

SHit, there's going to be some competition in the division now
    I remember it all too well

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darthvendor View Post
    I didnt see that on yahoo (i hate the new sports layout btw) but why not have one of those spots that is nearly finished be used for team #30 rather than scratching it for 2-3 years, and then when thats finished if they really wanted to, add 2 new teams expansion wise and make the money from that? Or would that spread things out too much?

Side note Flyers lost out on Suter/Parise (which I honestly expected, and not really disappointed in), lost Carle, signed some rather unknown D-man from TB for less than a mill and bring back Fedatanko >.<
    $200+ million dollars is why. The relocation fee would be big, but not expansion fee big. Say the deal doesn't go through with Jamison and the NHL is stuck with the Yotes. That means they are shelling out another $30-50 million just to keep the team afloat in Phoenix thanks to that teams inability to make any money at all ever. If they relocate them they don't face that burden and make about $100 million in a relocation fee. If they expand there is likely enough in fees plus the huge expansion fee to start a new team that would net the NHL owners $200-300 million they would all split. Its basically lost $1-2 million each to keep them there, make $5 million or so each to relocate them, or make $10-15 million each in 2-3 years by expanding. I honestly doubt the NHL is interested in expanding to 32. The league is spread too thin at 30 as it is.

---------- Post added 2012-07-06 at 04:07 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Xevan View Post
    SHit, there's going to be some competition in the division now
    I look forward to Vancouver finally not having a free ride.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm sure some of you read Puck Daddy and I know people read the G&M in Canada, so you probably saw this. Apparently there have been talks that the NHL may consider the end option of folding the Yotes and playing with 29 teams and have a dispersal draft. That would be so freaking nuts. Some people are of the opinion that the NHL is looking to move into that shiny new building near Toronto in 2015 before they expand to Quebec and Seattle or other markets.
    Could be interesting, but Phoenix isn't the only organization in the league that needs to be folded right now. They really need to look at folding the Islanders before too long, that team is a financial pit of doom and the fans are useless. Fold it, do a dispersal draft using team positions from the previous seasons entry draft along side the Coyotes, so every team gets one pick from each organization based on that position. Sure, that might fuck up salary cap situations for some teams, but I think if the league folded two teams at the exact same time, they could still raise the salary cap because they wouldn't have two financial burdens weighing down league revenue as well as team revenue. It seems silly to fold one team and play with an odd number of teams in one conference, fold another team that is inevitably going to have no place to play in another year or so and get it over with now.

---------- Post added 2012-07-06 at 07:21 PM ----------

$200+ million dollars is why. The relocation fee would be big, but not expansion fee big. Say the deal doesn't go through with Jamison and the NHL is stuck with the Yotes. That means they are shelling out another $30-50 million just to keep the team afloat in Phoenix thanks to that teams inability to make any money at all ever. If they relocate them they don't face that burden and make about $100 million in a relocation fee. If they expand there is likely enough in fees plus the huge expansion fee to start a new team that would net the NHL owners $200-300 million they would all split. Its basically lost $1-2 million each to keep them there, make $5 million or so each to relocate them, or make $10-15 million each in 2-3 years by expanding. I honestly doubt the NHL is interested in expanding to 32. The league is spread too thin at 30 as it is.

---------- Post added 2012-07-06 at 04:07 PM ----------

I look forward to Vancouver finally not having a free ride.
    See, the league in retrospect, doesn't make any profit from a relocation fee or an expansion fee. The Coyotes have lost the league so much revenue that they would still be at a loss financially even if they got 200 million for an expansion fee. Also, an expansion would be the dumbest thing the league could do. No one is going to pay the money to put a team in a market like Kansas because it's an unproven market for hockey at any level, Seattle too. Put a team in Quebec City or Toronto and you have conference imbalance issues. Better off cutting out one team from each conference and downsizing to 28 teams in one fell swoop.

10+ Year Old Account
    As Chicago, Toronto and Columbus all fight to the death for Mike Smith.

While Detroit, Pittsburgh and Philly fight to the death for Yandle.

Some people are yes, but the reality is Quebec will probably get the next team. They're building a brand new arena because they really do believe they will get a team next. Can't say I blame them. The fan base is amazing and a brand new arena would do wonders. Bettman seems to be against moving a team, but even he has said that if the fan base is there and they have a good arena, he won't rule out the possibility. So I think Quebec will be next. Eventually the Yotes will fail. They can't and will never make a profit. Hell, the San Jose Sharks sold out all their home games and suites and STILL lost 17 million dollars. Why? Because ticket prices are too cheap. The problem is if they raised them, the sell outs would more than likely stop.

15+ Year Old Account
    As Chicago, Toronto and Columbus all fight to the death for Mike Smith.

While Detroit, Pittsburgh and Philly fight to the death for Yandle.
    I wonder how a dispersal draft would even work. Does it go in basically the normal draft order where Edmonton would pick first essentially getting their THIRD first overall pick of the offseason after stealing Schultz or do they just toss balls in a lottery machine and grab them all out with teams having an equal shot. With only ~23 players to give out, excluding minor league prospects which I have no idea how they are distributed, some teams are going to miss out. I'd love to see that happen just for the oddness of the whole thing.

---------- Post added 2012-07-07 at 08:23 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by sTyLnK View Post
    Some people are yes, but the reality is Quebec will probably get the next team.
    Rumor has it the NHL isn't a big fan of Quebec taking bus trips to show up current teams by buying a bunch of tickets and wearing Nords gear. They like the owners that keep their head down and play by the rules. Same concept of why Basille never got a team because he refused to go through the proper process of kissing the ring of the current owners. That worked out for the best probably considering RIM is broke and I don't even think Basillie has that sort of money anymore if he even still is in charge of RIM. It makes a ton of sense to do Quebec now. A team could play in the Pepsi Colesium where they still play minor league hockey. It seats like 15,000 so they would still massively outsell the Coyotes now plus ticket prices would be much higher (none of that $15-25 playoff ticket bullshit). Then they could move into the building when it is done. Just charge the owners a relocation fee equal to an expansion fee. I'm sure plenty of potential owners wouldn't balk too hard at that if they are going to have to pay it to expand there anyways.

Building a building because you believe you are going to get a team means nothing though. Ask Kansas City and their big fancy and completely tenant-less arena that hosts concerts and that is about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wonder how a dispersal draft would even work. Does it go in basically the normal draft order where Edmonton would pick first essentially getting their THIRD first overall pick of the offseason after stealing Schultz or do they just toss balls in a lottery machine and grab them all out with teams having an equal shot. With only ~23 players to give out, excluding minor league prospects which I have no idea how they are distributed, some teams are going to miss out. I'd love to see that happen just for the oddness of the whole thing.[COLOR="red"]
    It's some really fucked up algorithm which gives the least successful teams over the last decade the higher picks. It includes playoff births, first overall picks, Finals reached, Stanley cups won. Whoever has the lowest amount of "points" is considered the lowest. 1 for playoffs, 2 for playoff win, 2 for first overall, 3 division win, 4 for finals and 5 for Cup win.

Detroit would be dead last with an astounding 78 points. First overall would be CLB with 3 points, Florida has 4 points and Isles have 5.
    Last edited by Irony; 2012-07-07 at 08:24 PM.