10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Greeney View Post
    For someone with only one exceptional season though? They should have moved on when he wouldn't agree to 5 mil.
    He had 3 great seasons, 68 goals and 205 points in 230 games, before he got plagued with injuries. He also has a knack for clutch goals and is the life blood of their PP.

I wouldn't of given him 6M due to his injury issues, but I would give a healthy Green 6M+.
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

10+ Year Old Account
    This could be Gary Bettman's third lockout as commissioner. If this happens him and Donald Fehr can go jump off a cliff.

Quote Originally Posted by Irony View Post
    He had 3 great seasons, 68 goals and 205 points in 230 games, before he got plagued with injuries. He also has a knack for clutch goals and is the life blood of their PP.

I wouldn't of given him 6M due to his injury issues, but I would give a healthy Green 6M+.
    I'll give him 2008 and 2009, but 2007 looks mediocre to me. Especially keeping in mind that he is passing the puck to Ovechkin when Ovechkin seemed to be at his best (alongside Semin and Backstrom when they were putting up crazy points). I dunno, I look at the way Karlsson gets the puck to Spezza or Michalek and I'd be far more afraid of him on the ice at the same time as Semin Ovechkin when playing their best. If they can go scoring 40-65 goals a year and I see them both going up by at least 10 goals and a very good chance at a Stanley Cup. I just don't see a Stanley Cup in Washington's future with Green on the ice, unless he gets so much better defensively. That's why I feel 6mil+ is too much of a risk right now.

If they gave him 10 mil this year, when it's likely going to lockout, and 3-4 mil the next two years I would think it's at least reasonable.
    Last edited by Greeney; 2012-07-17 at 03:08 AM.

10+ Year Old Account

Also, need to say I'm impressed by Holmstrom's loyalty. Seems like those types of guys always go to the Red Wings.
    ... or is it Red Wings who make them such?

Also, great video, Garbles.

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    ... or is it Red Wings who make them such?

Also, great video, Garbles.
    Eh, to me it seems like it just happens on the more successful teams. Still... Yzerman, Lidstrom, Draper, Holmstrom recently while Datsyuk and Zetterberg also look like they'll only be Red Wings at the moment. Kind of a lot seeing as so few skilled, longtime players ever only stuck with one NHL team (once they were there).

15+ Year Old Account
    Eh, to me it seems like it just happens on the more successful teams. Still... Yzerman, Lidstrom, Draper, Holmstrom recently while Datsyuk and Zetterberg also look like they'll only be Red Wings at the moment. Kind of a lot seeing as so few skilled, longtime players ever only stuck with one NHL team (once they were there).
    Stars stick around with one team as long as the team is half decent and they know when to hang em up , but the more impressive are the lower tier role playing guys. Usually they are shoveled out after their first contract is over. Guys like Maltby, McCarty, Draper etc. Well Draper came to Detroit from Winnipeg for $1, but I don't think he actually ever played for them.

---------- Post added 2012-07-17 at 09:51 AM ----------

Didn't see this mentioned in here from the other day, but I was just reading up on Doan and Semin to see if there had been any progress, reportedly some team in the Eastern Conference, offered Doan $30 million over 4 years. $7.5 million per season for a 35 year old averaging 55 points the last three years. That came out on Friday. I kind of hope he agrees to that contract just to completely obliterate any argument the owners are trying to make in the CBA negotiations.

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Green's offensive upside is too good to let him go. He's a bit better defensively than Karlsson due to his size, but how little is that saying.

A healthy Green is worth 7M+, the current Green is a liability. This isn't a signing you can judge at the moment, if Green is injured again, then it's a complete waste.
    His defensive capability is also improving, IMO.

His highest post season +/- rating was this year, if that accounts for anything.

Of course it doesn't matter if he ends up injured again.
    red panda red panda red panda!

Not sure if this has already been posted

15+ Year Old Account
    Didn't see this mentioned in here from the other day, but I was just reading up on Doan and Semin to see if there had been any progress, reportedly some team in the Eastern Conference, offered Doan $30 million over 4 years. $7.5 million per season for a 35 year old averaging 55 points the last three years. That came out on Friday. I kind of hope he agrees to that contract just to completely obliterate any argument the owners are trying to make in the CBA negotiations.
    My highest suspicions would be,

New Jersey, in need of a strong leadership player.
    New York Rangers, looking for offense.
    Florida, to burn money.

A lot of people felt it had Garth Snow written all over it as far as the Shane Doan offer, but I guess we wont know until someone actually says it was them or he takes it/turns it down.

It was apparently Carolina.. read something about this 2 or 3 days back.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    My highest suspicions would be,

New Jersey, in need of a strong leadership player.
    New York Rangers, looking for offense.
    Florida, to burn money.
    -New Jersey has literally no money. They have to write a check for $80 million on September 1st or the owner is literally going to lose the franchise.
    -Sather is stupid, but he isn't that stupid. Besides the Rangers still need to sign another defenseman (only 5 under contract with Del Zotto unsigned so far) and are certainly looking for a better offensive piece. I guess you can't rule them out totally since Sather like burning money.
    -Florida is at the salary floor so scratch them. If they add more salary it will be Luongo but even that is doubtful.

I'd suspect
    -The Islanders. Slightly under the pre-CBA cap floor and desperately need something to improve and bring in fans.
    -The Canes. 20 guys under contract, and even with paying the Staal's roughly a billion dollars they have $20 million in cap space. Not a terrible Nash replacement plus they don't have to give up Skinner.
    -The Jets. Nostalgia-rific.
    -The Sens. Need offense, have money, Rick Nash doesn't like them
    -Toronto because why the hell not?

15+ Year Old Account
    Good points.

Now that I think about it though... I wonder why no one is going after Semin yet?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    Good points.

Now that I think about it though... I wonder why no one is going after Semin yet?
    The silence on the Semin front is bizarre. You know he has plenty of suitors in the NHL. Maybe he just hasn't made up his mind about playing in the NHL or KHL yet. If Detroit and Pittsburgh are tossing similar deals at him you'd think he would either play with his buddy Dats or with the best player in the game. Either he is holding out for someone to make a stupid huge offer (see: Doan 4 years $30 million) or he just can't decide to not play in the KHL.

From what I was reading he had plenty of offers for the KHL but prefers to play in the NHL. It does seem like Free Agency has been completely quiet since the first week, which I guess is expected for the most part since the biggest of the names are normally gone by then.

10+ Year Old Account
    No one wants Semin, no one. Only Detroit and Pittsburgh have shown moderate interest in him. His situation is very similar to Maxim Afinogenov's. It's just pretty bizarre that no team with sign a 40 goal scorer.
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

15+ Year Old Account
    No one wants Semin, no one. Only Detroit and Pittsburgh have shown moderate interest in him. His situation is very similar to Maxim Afinogenov's. It's just pretty bizarre that no team with sign a 40 goal scorer.
    It is just about as bizzare as Anaheim dangling Bobby Ryan, a 40 goal scorer, over a cliff for the last season and change. The reluctance to sign Semin to a multi-year contract has to be pretty much a CBA thing. Yes there are reasons to question the guys work ethic, but come on can he honestly be a bigger risk than 9 out of 10 guys on most every roster?

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    When he's on, he is easily one of the top 8 most skilled players in the NHL. I'm guessing teams are just skeptical about his performance after receiving a large paycheck. That or maybe he has unreasonable requirements. At this point, I'm expecting him to go to the KHL.

And about the lower end guys sticking with the Wings the majority of their careers - who in their right mind WOULDEN'T do that though? You're almost guaranteed to win a Cup in your career. You're going to be extremely well coached. You'll always be playing in the playoffs and likely contending to progress each year. It's not like they'd make that much more money going elsewhere and I'm sure Detroit loved having those dudes on their team. I just don't get why the players are so money driven it seems. You'd think winning would be priority. I would way rather want to consistently win and fight for the cup every year then make what, 2-3 more million a year? The most recent team that comes to mind is the cup winning Blackhawks team. They had such an amazing team and if they could have brought back all those role player guys, they might've won a couple more cups. Instead, they lost Versteeg, Byuflein (I can never spell that name right), Ladd, Niemi, Brouwer. Not saying they should have signed all of them but if they could've gotten 3/5 back - they might have had a mini dynasty going. Instead, unless they get some nice drafting and a new goalie, I don't see Chicago winning again in Kane/Toews/Sharp's lifetime.

Not trying to shit on the Hawks at all, I just find them a prime example of players chasing the money instead of success. I guess winning multiple Cups isn't exactly priority for NHL players. Once you win 1, I guess you're set.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeoni View Post
    Not trying to shit on the Hawks at all, I just find them a prime example of players chasing the money instead of success. I guess winning multiple Cups isn't exactly priority for NHL players. Once you win 1, I guess you're set.
    Its hard to saddle them completely with the blame for that teams issues. They handed out A LOT of bad contracts over the last 3-4 years. Prior to tricking Florida into taking Campbell they had about $20 million tied up in 3 defenseman, another $23 million tied up in four forwards. It is a tough model to build on and not one you can really blame all that much on the players. The GM is the one dishing out those above market contracts. At least Chicago got the term right on everyone but Hossa and Keith who they signed to stupidly long deals. The other guys they locked into only 5 year deals which are at least flexible via trade (you know, assuming they hadn't given them all NMCs except for Sharp who has a modified NTC and Kane who only has an NMC in 2014 (Hint: Kane won't be a Blackhawk in 2014-15)). Frankly I'm surprised Kane is still a Hawk. I honestly figured they would have moved him as part of a package to fix that giant hole they have between the pipes with with Luongo or Ryan Miller (since Buffalo stupidly dangles him occasionally) by this time in the offseason. I wouldn't be surprised if he is gone before the season starts.

That got off track a bit, but I could see the Hawks winning again. They are going to have to unload a contract or two to actually build up their depth unless they have some good players brewing in the AHL and elsewhere(Rockford's top guy had 61 points but he is like 31 lol), but I don't think they are doomed by any stretch like Tampa pretty much is with $30 million tied up in their top five forwards next year, about two of whom actually deserve the money they make.