The Secret World Buddy Pass

Hey, i heard you can get 24 hours of TSW Restricted playtime if you get a buddy pass from someone.
    Does anyone have an extra?

This game seems fun. I'm very torn on it though, there are a lot of aspects I like and dislike almost equally. Still on the fence about buying it.

One thing, and I'm just being nitpicky I'm sure, but is anyone else irritated that their character doesn't talk in any of the cut scenes? I guess I'm a bit spoiled after SWTOR. The characters around me seem fascinating and are well voiced/acted, but I can't help but feel my character is kind of dumb when all she has as a response to these often crazy things happening around her is a vacant eyed expression. It just really bugs me for some reason.

One thing, and I'm just being nitpicky I'm sure, but is anyone else irritated that their character doesn't talk in any of the cut scenes?
    I do agree I want my player to talk too, however people will complain that their character voice is not what they wanted, or "my character would never say that". Though people equally complain about not having a voice and always will so its a lose/lose situation.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Quote Originally Posted by summourn View Post
    This game seems fun. I'm very torn on it though, there are a lot of aspects I like and dislike almost equally. Still on the fence about buying it.

One thing, and I'm just being nitpicky I'm sure, but is anyone else irritated that their character doesn't talk in any of the cut scenes? I guess I'm a bit spoiled after SWTOR. The characters around me seem fascinating and are well voiced/acted, but I can't help but feel my character is kind of dumb when all she has as a response to these often crazy things happening around her is a vacant eyed expression. It just really bugs me for some reason.
    Well, you *DO* have a bee stuck in your throat.

Just curious who all is running this with AMD as I've heard there are bottleneck issues with either AMD graphic cards or CPUs.

---------- Post added 2012-07-18 at 05:30 AM ----------

Oh, and I was curious if anyone had any extra buddy keys? I'd really like to give this game a go before purchasing.

Quote Originally Posted by zfigz View Post
    Just curious who all is running this with AMD as I've heard there are bottleneck issues with either AMD graphic cards or CPUs.

---------- Post added 2012-07-18 at 05:30 AM ----------

Oh, and I was curious if anyone had any extra buddy keys? I'd really like to give this game a go before purchasing.
    Running at ultra with 6970 and no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    I do agree I want my player to talk too, however people will complain that their character voice is not what they wanted, or "my character would never say that". Though people equally complain about not having a voice and always will so its a lose/lose situation.
    Yeah. The "my character would never say that" part is annoying.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

Quote Originally Posted by Repefe View Post
    Yeah. The "my character would never say that" part is annoying.
    Why is that annoying? So far you're the one who decides what your character's thoughs on most situatons are, Funcom has given you the courtesy of filling the gaps with your imagination. You know, like books do.

Besides, both monologues and your silent presence immensely contribute to the atmosphere. Try imagining your character spouting cheesy phrases that constitute 90% of dialogues in SW:TOR. It works in Star Wars universe but it will murder the atmosphere in TSW.

Funcom might pull dialogues off if they decide to implement them. But do we really want to put such a burden on them? We talk about subpar animations and how they scare off certain player types. I say - that's fine. If you start trying to cater to every player type out there you might screw the pooch for everyone.

If you want dialogues right away I suggest playing or replaying SW:TOR. So "Shut up and prepare to jump to lightspeed".

Deleted
    i play it since 2 weeks now, and its alot of fun so far
    the first content patch is announced for this month already ...

I'm looking for any questions you may have about TSW for a Q&A on www.crygaia.com. The questions could be about the game itself, the players, etiquette, the story, whatever. You can even ask about missions as long as you keep everything spoiler-free.

I'll be picking questions and posting the answers on CGN.

Deleted
    http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...-world-10.html

the post from laeris in this thread might be an indicator of whats to come, regarding funcom "support".
    let's hope funcom has improved a friggin lot since the aoc dilemma.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulslaver View Post
    http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...-world-10.html

the post from laeris in this thread might be an indicator of whats to come, regarding funcom "support".
    let's hope funcom has improved a friggin lot since the aoc dilemma.
    I had an active sub for AoC for a few years (late '08 through mid '11)and I never got double-billed. I do remember that thing that happened with the RP server getting merged with a PvP server though. Both servers were practically dead, so it did make sense from a population standpoint. I never heard about them refusing to transfer gold or guild keeps though.

Edit: I recognize that guy now from the AoC forums. He's a troll to the highest order. Think he got butthurt about getting canned from the GM program or something. Don't really remember.
    Last edited by Sj; 2012-07-18 at 01:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kliffharry View Post
    Running at ultra with 6970 and no problems.
    thanks for the response! i'll have a radeon hd 7770.

thanks for the response! i'll have a radeon hd 7770.
    You should be good, then. I've got a 5850 and it suuuuuuucks. My nVidia card melted after my power supply copped an attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokot View Post
    Why is that annoying? So far you're the one who decides what your character's thoughs on most situatons are, Funcom has given you the courtesy of filling the gaps with your imagination. You know, like books do.

Besides, both monologues and your silent presence immensely contribute to the atmosphere. Try imagining your character spouting cheesy phrases that constitute 90% of dialogues in SW:TOR. It works in Star Wars universe but it will murder the atmosphere in TSW.

Funcom might pull dialogues off if they decide to implement them. But do we really want to put such a burden on them? We talk about subpar animations and how they scare off certain player types. I say - that's fine. If you start trying to cater to every player type out there you might screw the pooch for everyone.

If you want dialogues right away I suggest playing or replaying SW:TOR. So "Shut up and prepare to jump to lightspeed".
    I don't think we understood each other ... I don't like when my character talks. Skippable monologs ala TSW are good middle ground between dialogs and no VO at all. I would actually like TOR better if there was less dialogs and player got to pick from options only when it was about something important ... not generic chitchat.

I don't think we understood each other ... I don't like when my character talks. Skippable monologs ala TSW are good middle ground between dialogs and no VO at all. I would actually like TOR better if there was less dialogs and player got to pick from options only when it was about something important ... not generic chitchat.
    I didn't mind the chit-chat in TOR so much, but it was painfully obvious when they reused the same lines quite often. I'm not sure how many times I heard "this should entertain me" from my character. I'm glad TOR did what they did, though, since it did set a new precedent for character interactions with NPCs.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarahjane View Post
    I didn't mind the chit-chat in TOR so much, but it was painfully obvious when they reused the same lines quite often. I'm not sure how many times I heard "this should entertain me" from my character. I'm glad TOR did what they did, though, since it did set a new precedent for character interactions with NPCs.
    Yeah. It's completelly my personal opinion and to be frank I didn't mind it at first either.

Yeah. It's completelly my personal opinion and to be frank I didn't mind it at first either.
    Well, the more I played it the less I liked it. I like how TSW handled things. Honestly, some of the cutscenes would've been ruined if PCs talked. There's a ranking mission cutscene where my character is trying to get a drink, and the barkeeper doesn't see her. She's waving her arms frantically and it's so funny. Sonnac said to go get a drink, and as a recruit, she's just trying to follow orders. I also like the jabs some of the NPCs take at you for not talking, kind of like the game is making fun of yourself.

I didn't like the mute thing at first, but the more I play and more I get immersed, it really makes sense to me why my character doesn't talk.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarahjane View Post
    You should be good, then. I've got a 5850 and it suuuuuuucks. My nVidia card melted after my power supply copped an attitude.
    I've had my eye on The Secret World for the past week. I haven't ever really gotten into an MMO except for an attempt at WOW back in 2004 as well as a short stint with AION. Anyway, I'm in the midst of figuring a computer to build and wanted to get someone's advice on a build I'm researching to play The Secret World as I'd like to play it on high settings (ultra would be nice, but i'm not holding my breath). Now budget is a huge concern for me as I have a baby on the way (my first!), and so, I would really rather not go over $600. Anyhoo,below are my specs...

Rosewill R101-P-BK 120mm Fan MicroATX Mid Tower Computer Case

TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

ASUS M5A97 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

GIGABYTE GV-R777OC-1GD Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX

Coolmax 700W 120mm Fan Semi-Modular ATX PSU with Dual PCI-E - CU-700B

DDR3 8GB 2133MHz (2x4GB) Enhanced Latency Kit

AMD Phenom™ II 965 Black
    HDZ965FBGIBOX

I've had my eye on The Secret World for the past week. I haven't ever really gotten into an MMO except for an attempt at WOW back in 2004 as well as a short stint with AION. Anyway, I'm in the midst of figuring a computer to build and wanted to get someone's advice on a build I'm researching to play The Secret World as I'd like to play it on high settings (ultra would be nice, but i'm not holding my breath). Now budget is a huge concern for me as I have a baby on the way (my first!), and so, I would really rather not go over $600. Anyhoo,below are my specs...

Rosewill R101-P-BK 120mm Fan MicroATX Mid Tower Computer Case

TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

ASUS M5A97 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

GIGABYTE GV-R777OC-1GD Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX

Coolmax 700W 120mm Fan Semi-Modular ATX PSU with Dual PCI-E - CU-700B

DDR3 8GB 2133MHz (2x4GB) Enhanced Latency Kit

AMD Phenom™ II 965 Black
    HDZ965FBGIBOX

I'm no techie by any means, but I have a friend with the same video card and it runs on high settings just fine according to him.