10+ Year Old Account
    Oh yeah, for those asking about Korin, apparently he's an 800 year old anthropomorphic cat who's immortal and is a master of martial arts. Another one of those "becomes irrelevant" things when DBZ hits.

10+ Year Old Account
    Soooooooo I just learned that the original japanese Vegeta had said "It's over 8000!". Not 9000. So DBZ Kai's translation was totally correct.

There goes my fucking childhood.

Seriously, my entire childhood.

9000 had a special place in my heart.

Now I'm wondering what the fuck else we're shown in Kai that I THOUGHT was "correct" in the DBZ english episodes aired on Cartoon Network 12-13 years ago.

I'm currently watching Kai with my 11-yr-old brother, who has really grown to love the show so far.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2012-07-18 at 10:38 AM.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    Soooooooo I just learned that the original japanese Vegeta had said "It's over 8000!". Not 9000. So DBZ Kai's translation was totally correct.

There goes my fucking childhood.

Seriously, my entire childhood.

9000 had a special place in my heart.

Now I'm wondering what the fuck else we're shown in Kai that I THOUGHT was "correct" in the DBZ english episodes aired on Cartoon Network 12-13 years ago.
    Here here, you can cry on my shoulder.

Though I will never understand why they translated it as 9000 the first time around. Was there any special reason for this, or was it simply human error?

As for the showdown argument, indeed, I gotta grant that the people constantly arguing how overpowered DBZ characters are (make no mistake, they are overpowered) quickly dismiss how overpowered their fandom character is when they present "arguments" to make them come out on top.
    I firmly believe Frieza saga Goku, pre-Super Sayian could wipe the floor with Cthulhu. We don't even need to get into DBGT godhood arguments.
    Last edited by Adramalech; 2012-07-18 at 10:42 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tya View Post
    As a warlock, allow me to be the first to say that I get tremendous amounts of joy from watching fear pathing take you to Africa.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drayarr View Post
    Twinking is like going back to school when you are 30, just to be smarter than the other kids.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adramalech View Post

Though I will never understand why they translated it as 9000 the first time around. Was there any special reason for this, or was it simply human error?

As for the showdown argument, indeed, I gotta grant that the people constantly arguing how overpowered DBZ characters are (make no mistake, they are overpowered) quickly dismiss how overpowered their fandom character is when they present "arguments" to make them come out on top.
    I firmly believe Frieza saga Goku, pre-Super Sayian could wipe the floor with Cthulhu. We don't even need to get into DBGT godhood arguments.
    Many power levels were different in the English translation, not just that one. Though I don't know why.

Quote Originally Posted by Adramalech View Post

It was Vegeta's voice actor. He felt that 9000 worked better with the lip synching. Not Chris Sabat mind you, the ocean dub voice actor.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    While reading through the wiki and re-watching episodes of Dragon Ball Z (this thread inspired me to do so), I have noticed something that I thought was amusing. At the end of the Frieza saga, with Goku somewhere in space and Vegeta flying around the universe searching for him, Gohan was the most powerful person left on earth (seeing as he was able to challenge form 3 Frieza with a full power masenko blast while Piccolo got soundly whipped). Then after Cell was killed, Gohan was once again the strongest known fighter and was charged by Goku to protect the earth. Then came the Buu saga, and once again, once Buu (whatever form) was killed, Gohan was the strongest known solo fighter.

It seems that despite Toriyama's best efforts, he was not able to leave it with Gohan being the strongest. Makes me wonder if he just gave up on Gohan in GT and decided to give the fans what they wanted in Goku.

10+ Year Old Account
    Meh, I'm done with this showdown lol, people aren't even taking the time to even bother looking at facts about how Goku would win.

But something that has got me thinking, in your opinion Laurcus, who could beat Goku?.

Quote Originally Posted by divinepurpose View Post
    Meh, I'm done with this showdown lol, people aren't even taking the time to even bother looking at facts about how Goku would win.

But something that has got me thinking, in your opinion Laurcus, who could beat Goku?.
    I really don't think anyone could beat Goku. The only thing I can think of is Doomsday from DC. He has this evolutionary regenerative power that allows him to partially copy the powers of anything he fights, as long as he takes damage. It's sort of similar to the Saiyan zenkai. But really, it would take Doomsday and Goku working together to intentionally make Doomsday stronger than Goku. And Doomsday's a villain, so Goku would just wipe him out instead of repeatedly giving him power increases for the lolz.

10+ Year Old Account
    Alright alright lets keep the Goku vs Cthulu discussion in the Goku vs Cthulu thread (hence the title) -_-

This thread is aimed at more GROUNDED discussions about DB revolving around FACTS like POWER LEVELS and shit.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

10+ Year Old Account
    Interesting, going to read up on Doomsday a bit more.

Deleted
    Goku ofc. Hes just the biggest badass ever.

I think DBZ video games should start introducing AF characters.
    That way the AF realm of fan art etc has another outlet to expand to.
    It's not like AF-like characters haven't been in the games before, for example...
    Tein & Yamcha's fusion
    SS3 Broly & Vegeta..
    Different Buu Absorption's

Quote Originally Posted by divinepurpose View Post
    Interesting, going to read up on Doomsday a bit more.
    He's one of Superman's villains. He's basically a genetically modified Kryptonian. He's pretty famous for actually killing Superman. His powers vary between universes though, like most DC characters. In some universes he's cloned whenever he dies, and the clones have the memories and powers of their predecessors. In other versions, he just comes back to life on his own every time he's killed. If I recall correctly, Superman deals with him by strapping him to a meteor and throwing the meteor in a random direction, ensuring he won't be back for quite some time.
    Last edited by OrcsRLame; 2012-07-18 at 05:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    He's one of Superman's villains. He's basically a genetically modified Kryptonian. He's pretty famous for actually killing Superman.
    Wasn't it just a healing coma and not actual death?

Quote Originally Posted by iadamson View Post
    Wasn't it just a healing coma and not actual death?
    I don't remember. I'd have to look it up again.

Edit: Looked it up. No, Superman actually died. A villain called the Eradicator was using Superman's corpse to power an energy matrix, since it was still absorbing yellow sunlight. But later the matrix broke, and when it did it released all that energy into the air, which revived Superman's body. At the same time, Jonathan Kent talked to Superman's soul in a dream, where he told him that the Earth still needs him, which called his soul back. Those two factors combined brought Superman back from the dead.

He was actually dead for like a good 3 months.

You may be thinking of the 2007 movie Superman: Doomsday, which was based on The Death of Superman story arc. Superman doesn't actually die in that, he's kept alive for Lex Luthor's amusement, and he's later rescued.
    Last edited by OrcsRLame; 2012-07-18 at 08:10 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by bmps View Post
    While reading through the wiki and re-watching episodes of Dragon Ball Z (this thread inspired me to do so), I have noticed something that I thought was amusing. At the end of the Frieza saga, with Goku somewhere in space and Vegeta flying around the universe searching for him, Gohan was the most powerful person left on earth (seeing as he was able to challenge form 3 Frieza with a full power masenko blast while Piccolo got soundly whipped). Then after Cell was killed, Gohan was once again the strongest known fighter and was charged by Goku to protect the earth. Then came the Buu saga, and once again, once Buu (whatever form) was killed, Gohan was the strongest known solo fighter.

It seems that despite Toriyama's best efforts, he was not able to leave it with Gohan being the strongest. Makes me wonder if he just gave up on Gohan in GT and decided to give the fans what they wanted in Goku.
    I was thinking about the same thing a few days ago... i think the interaction between Vegeta and Goku was too awesome. Moreover Gohan kinda reached a dead end with the Mystic "Transformation" because it is so damn boring... honestly SSJs are among the coolest things ever in TV series and this guy Gohan just has this "mystic" form? Pretty bad for him.

Gohan easily could have taken gokus part after Cell Games, with goku still having a lot of showings during tournaments on earth and in otherworld. They still could have even made the Majiin Vegeta vs Goku battle... but instead gohan was pretty useless the whole saga and Vegeta + Goku had to kill Buu.

Does anyone know where to find DBZ Kai episodes online? dbz.tv doesn't seem to have them uploaded yet.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    I really don't think anyone could beat Goku. The only thing I can think of is Doomsday from DC. He has this evolutionary regenerative power that allows him to partially copy the powers of anything he fights, as long as he takes damage. It's sort of similar to the Saiyan zenkai. But really, it would take Doomsday and Goku working together to intentionally make Doomsday stronger than Goku. And Doomsday's a villain, so Goku would just wipe him out instead of repeatedly giving him power increases for the lolz.
    What about Imperiex? Seems like he was stronger than Superman, Doomsday, Darkseid and all forces of earth (including a lot of "lesser" Superheroes) combined. He is described as having omnipotent powers, being able to trigger a Big Bang (yes, THE Big Bang) and creating a Blackhole that is able to consume a whole universe.

DC seems to be full of overpowered entities though... Spectre is described as: "the most powerful known being in the universe, capable of virtually any feat. His powers vastly increased over the years. At times he utilized the mystic Ring of Life to perform feats that were beyond his powers." and "The Spectre is a cosmic entity and the physical embodiment of God's (=The Presence) vengeance on Earth."

Then we have Superman Prime: "Superman Prime is the second most powerful being that has ever existed in the DC multiverse only surpassed by The Presence. He has acquired countless powers and abilities from his travels and lineage that allow him to do almost anything he wishes, which range from teleportation to the manipulation of magic and warping reality. He can manipulate time, space, matter, and bend reality on almost any scale he wishes. "

While most Marvel Universe Characters generally seem to be a little less overpowered than in DC there are some extremely overpowered beings too:
    Living Tribunal: "The Living Tribunal is a virtually omnipotent and omniscient entity whose purpose is to safeguard the omniverse from imbalance. Tribunal is perfectly impartial and has shown the ability to accomplish anything it sets its will to; including the willingness to sacrifice millions to save billions and sacrifice billions to save trillions. There is absolutely no limit to what The Living Tribunal can accomplish in order to maintain balance or eliminate threats. Nevertheless; Tribunal is second to one."

FINALLY:

The One-Above-All: "As the supreme being of the Omniverse, the One-Above-All is Omnipotent, Omnipresent, Omniscient and Omniversal, infinitely above all cosmic powers and abstract entities, even the Living Tribunal."

This guy should definately give goku some problems even after absorbing the Dragonballs.

I'm no expert though... just furiously reading the wiki (sources of quotes are wiki too btw)

... maybe we will some time again see an "Ultimate Showdown" with competitors like this instead of Super Mario, Gandalf and Magikarp... then it would make sense discussing about weather Goku wins easily or not.
    Last edited by mmoc610696607c; 2012-07-18 at 09:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Liebchen View Post
    What about Imperiex? Seems like he was stronger than Superman, Doomsday, Darkseid and all forces of earth (including a lot of "lesser" Superheroes) combined. He is described as having omnipotent powers, being able to trigger a Big Bang (yes, THE Big Bang) and creating a Blackhole that is able to consume a whole universe.

DC seems to be full of overpowered entities though... Spectre is described as: "the most powerful known being in the universe, capable of virtually any feat. His powers vastly increased over the years. At times he utilized the mystic Ring of Life to perform feats that were beyond his powers." and "The Spectre is a cosmic entity and the physical embodiment of God's (=The Presence) vengeance on Earth."

Then we have Superman Prime: "Superman Prime is the second most powerful being that has ever existed in the DC multiverse only surpassed by The Presence. He has acquired countless powers and abilities from his travels and lineage that allow him to do almost anything he wishes, which range from teleportation to the manipulation of magic and warping reality. He can manipulate time, space, matter, and bend reality on almost any scale he wishes. "

While most Marvel Universe Characters generally seem to be a little less overpowered than in DC there are some extremely overpowered beings too:
    Living Tribunal: "The Living Tribunal is a virtually omnipotent and omniscient entity whose purpose is to safeguard the omniverse from imbalance. Tribunal is perfectly impartial and has shown the ability to accomplish anything it sets its will to; including the willingness to sacrifice millions to save billions and sacrifice billions to save trillions. There is absolutely no limit to what The Living Tribunal can accomplish in order to maintain balance or eliminate threats. Nevertheless; Tribunal is second to one."

FINALLY:

The One-Above-All: "As the supreme being of the Omniverse, the One-Above-All is Omnipotent, Omnipresent, Omniscient and Omniversal, infinitely above all cosmic powers and abstract entities, even the Living Tribunal."

This guy should definately give goku some problems even after absorbing the Dragonballs.

I'm no expert though... just furiously reading the wiki (sources of quotes are wiki too btw)

... maybe we will some time again see an "Ultimate Showdown" with competitors like this instead of Super Mario, Gandalf and Magikarp... then it would make sense discussing about weather Goku wins easily or not.
    I'm actually very familiar with all those characters, except for Imperiex. I listed Doomsday specifically because of his seemingly infinite capacity for growth. In other words, I think if Goku helped Doomsday, then Doomsday could one day be stronger than him. Fyi, all of those characters except Superman Prime, (and maybe Imperiex, never heard of him before) have lost a fight at some point. Even The Presence has been defeated once, by his chief Archangel I might add. Backstabbing asshole.
    Last edited by OrcsRLame; 2012-07-18 at 09:34 PM.

Deleted
    Imperiex was defeated by the combined forces of Superman, Doomsday and Darkseid (don't know if they were ever allies again at another point in history) after some other Superheroes were sacrificed themselves to weaken Imperiex/strengthen Superman.
    Getting defeated isn't that important as Goku got defeated multiple times too. It should be hard to compare Goku to real godly beings like The one above all and Living Tribunal... but Imperiex is actually just a very mighty "physical" foe so this fight would be very interesting.