... LastLast
    Deleted
    Well , it's your opinion and I don't demand it but look at WoW races :
    Humans - well , humans
    Dwarves - little humans
    Gnomes - even more little humans
    Night Elves - humans with long ears and different skin colour
    Blood Elves - humans with long ears
    Worgen - half humans half wolves ... humans with fur and different standing/moving style ... well , lore wise they are just cursed humans
    Undeads - undead humans with soooooooooooooooo[...] ugly character model
    Orcs - green and "ugly"
    Goblins - green and "ugly" just smaller
    Trolls - taller than orcs with more bluish skin and tusks
    Now more unique ones :
    Pandaren... well , pandas
    Taurens - bulls/cows [my main]
    Draenei - blue goats without fur [still love them]

In gw2 all races are unique and are with "us" since gw1 (excluding born Sylvari ... who are the best race from the game ever... sub opinion ofc)
    Humans - humans... not unique in general but in Tyria - yes
    Charr - Cats with horns ... more unique than Taurens .. also more aggresive and prefer technology over nature (their evolution you can watch in gw1 ... they have always been familliar with technology but still had shamas and used magic , crystals and such)
    Norns - not just tall humans , they're enchanted with spirit powers that can turn them into bear / wolf / raven / snow leopard (in gw1 npc could only change in bears but our characters could use blessing of 3 spirits - bear , wolf and raven)
    Asura - not just little humans ... long ears pointing down , different skin color and look at their head (really ... look at that teeth!) - they're little monsters!
    Sylvari - new race ... something fresh that I haven't seen in any game (I don't say it doesn't exist in other games but I haven't seen it) - plant race that can have sex but they are born from the tree. Mysterious roots but their behaviour is "open to everyone" , they're open minded and want to learn about the world , bisexuals (all of them) , honest , no racists etc. In book you can read that other races are a bit embarassed when Sylvari is near. They are just pure.

So - if even Sylvari isn't at last a bit interesting then I don't know what would you like.

Quote Originally Posted by TheEaterofSouls View Post
    asura don't look very threatening.
    Have you seen their teeth?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

They still look vicious and races like asura don't look very threatening.
    If I saw one charging me with those large eyes and sharp little teeth, I'd be pretty scared

Deleted
    Well consider this is a new MMO, so they just didn't focus as much on races. That said, expansions might bring such new races.

Now that that's out of the picture, you need to ask yourself, what do you want from a race? To be ugly? That's it? So if... troggs became playable in WoW, would you play them only based on their ugliness? See, this is the thing, you need to find other things to look for too.

And last, you talk about charr, and say some horned cats were the last things you'd think about playing. Of course. Because you don't see horned cat people so much, do you? If you did, they'd be as spread as elves and then you'd have the problem that you wouldn't want to play them because they're too common.
    Also, there are variants for ugly faces and more chubby bodies. You can make ugly characters if that's your thing.

Also, even though the game has only 5 races, besides the generic humans and their norn bigger selves, all other races I find quite unique. Maybe it's just me.
    Overall, you need to think what you want in a race besides being ugly.

Roudene did you even play a warcraft game or are you just saying that if it's in GW2 it is automatically the best thing.

Because alot of the races your listing have strange physique as well as some lore behind them that may be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker87 View Post
    If I saw one charging me with those large eyes and sharp little teeth, I'd be pretty scared
    But they are STILL smart!!

15+ Year Old Account
    But they are STILL smart!!
    So just because they're smart, they don't look threatening?

Want to reword that?

Quote Originally Posted by Malthurius View Post
    I'd say the WoW races that are monohuman are:
    Orcs, Humans, Night Elves, Blood Elves, Dwarves, Gnomes, Forsaken, and Goblins. 8/13. That's going by the criteria I assume you used for GW2, since Sylvari are considered monohuman.[COLOR="red"]
    Not just that, they only added some of them after a number of years. The original ones were almost completely copied from Tolkien or from other literature. At least GW has been fairly creative with their chars.

10+ Year Old Account
    Think Eater is spot on. I want to get a "beast" race that's... well. Not beastly.

The Charr may be very industrial and intelligent, but they're still beastly. This shows in a lot of their technology.
    And for the Asura, pretty much the cornerstone of their entire society is technomagical ingenuity. Even if they do have a lot more complexity/depth than that, it's still the trait they're known for.

I want to see a "midget" race based on Klingon culture. And a "beast" race of wise, peace-loving sages.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    I want to see a "midget" race based on Klingon culture. And a "beast" race of wise, peace-loving sages.
    Wouldn't Tengu fill that second request?
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

10+ Year Old Account
    Asura teeth FTW!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    That, and WoW's Panderan would fill that as well...

And I consider Goblins in WoW to be vicious (Greedy) idiots.

Er... off topic? Just a little...
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    Asura teeth FTW!
    Good thing I'm not working in the morning. That'll keep me up all night tonight
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    Tengu can be rather vicious, depending on the tribe.

@OP

You are entitled to your opinion, but it seems to be only looks count for you as "race". Just evil looking or w/e?

Gw2 is based on of course the world of tyria so we know they just wont erase all their world to get you a dog race or pedo race (Tera comes to mind). So with that put aside, I think they've done an amazing job. Norns are for me like Shapeshifters, in no way I feel they are "humans". Dwarves are "dead", Charr are pretty interesting and ugly (hate them lol), asura are "cute" with own characteristics. And so on.

If you are merely talking about looks, I can agree that WoW has far more "choices" specially with different looking (even tho everyone is a Belf xD). But you cant deny that their work on culture, story, feeling of exploring their world and stuff is off, and even the races as it is it's impossible to make a bad looking character (Graphics wise, you can still make them ugly and scary). Hell it has so much "tension" between the races that it just puts WoW in the closet regarding what it should be a "World of Discord between races"

Deleted
    Asura teeth FTW!
    And you continue to like that race?! OH god it has to die.

15+ Year Old Account
    Asura teeth FTW!

How did you get a picture of me?!

Deleted
    @TheEaterOfSouls
    I know about it. But if someone "new" look at it - it's how it looks. And physique ... well , wow is cartoon game. You know it.

OP said his "first impressions" on gw2 races. I did the same with wow races. You can't change the facts. My point is : every race becomes more unique when you know more about them.

@General
    Mif .. who are you in AN ? We are talking about races on MMO-champ and look what's new on the blog http://www.arena.net/blog/the-openin...ction-to-tyria

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    I had a dream a couple of years ago where a tree sprouted from the top of my head and I was skipping down a hill with a crowd of people following me.

I just wanna know, how did Anet get in my head and make this race just for me??
    Well... the truth is that the people at ArenaNet are actually mind-reading aliens. But you didn't hear it from me, so shhhh.

Quote Originally Posted by ThisWillNotStand View Post
    I agree with this man to a point. I loved the Blood Elf story from WARCRAFT 3, but I hated seeing the race implemented in WoW with such an UNWARRANTED anorexic appearance, especially since the guard NPCs and Kael'Thas had a normal Warcraft 3 build.

I wasn't impressed by the Draenei appearance either compared to their cinematic debut - HOWEVER, I liked how much effort was put in their starting zone story that they grew on me. They had character, they had consistency. I got over their appearance, unlike the Blood Elves.

You do realize that a real life buffed human would look about the same as a male blood elf body wise? And you do realize the guards are actually skinnier then the playable race? Since the Silvermoon Guards are still using an older model, the first proposed model for blood elves, which was truly anorexic for both males and females.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nalle View Post
    How did you get a picture of me?!
    You're a Peacemaker?

Quote Originally Posted by Malthurius View Post
    That, and WoW's Panderan would fill that as well...

And I consider Goblins in WoW to be vicious (Greedy) idiots.

Er... off topic? Just a little...
    Still they are a tech race rather than primitive."You wouldn't see a goblin jump into a pit saying "My Precious!""

And while pandaren are all well and good i'd like to see a more futuristic anthro race. This game comes to mind:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9smXv1HjjA