10+ Year Old Account
    I think this game as great, GREAT potential, and honestly I think it's a setting that a lot of people have always wanted (post-Apocalypse, ect), but so far the fact that there's no leveling system is really odd. No classes is like Skyrim, so I honestly don't see a problem there.
    If development by someone more experienced, I think it could be good. It could have been really neat.

Quote Originally Posted by thaimeson View Post
    I think this game as great, GREAT potential, and honestly I think it's a setting that a lot of people have always wanted (post-Apocalypse, ect), but so far the fact that there's no leveling system is really odd. No classes is like Skyrim, so I honestly don't see a problem there.
    If development by someone more experienced, I think it could be good. It could have been really neat.
    Frankly, I couldn't make sense of your post.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokot View Post
    Frankly, I couldn't make sense of your post.
    Yeah ... it's like a coded message from some TSW quest. TSW is 3rd MMO done by Funcom, so saying more experienced developer; how many game developement studios have more than 3 big MMO titles under their belt ? If you compare it to TOR for example where BW literaly wasted a lot of their budget on content a lot of ppl didn't appreciate, TSW is more focused game and imho Funcom experience does show here very much.

It's not perfect ... but it's very promissing step in an awesome direction for Funcom.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

Yeah, I'm not sure what he's trying to say either. The further I get into the game, the more impressed I am. Granted, the locust-style players that rush through are going to get bored quickly. This is really one of those games you want to take your time in. Stop and smell the anima.

Oh, CGN will be livestreaming with yours truly tanking. I made sure to skip the Ankh so it'll be a live noob session! http://www.twitch.tv/crygaianet @ 4pm ET today
    Last edited by Sj; 2012-07-22 at 07:29 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Borzo View Post
    Has anyone bought the soundtrack? I listened to it for free on rdio.com and I'm a little unsure of buying it or not.
    I got it from Amazon as a download, those are different edits and seem longer, also spotted some passages which I didn't hear in the game. Burned it on CD for my car. I'm quite sucked up in this immersive game world and story so I like listening when I'm on the road sometimes.

Also when there are some ravens around on a rainy day the score seems to fit in a eerie way...

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Did anyone happen to see this article posted at G4?
    http://www.g4tv.com/games/pc/46075/t...-world/review/

As if gaming journalism wasn't already a joke...

The article was released on the 19th...but the writer refers to the game as being in beta(!) and then continues to bash the game for issues that have been fixed as of release. I think the biggest head scratcher for me is that the article is still up; unrevised. I hope the author's venture into gaming journalism was a short one.

Quote Originally Posted by HBpapa View Post

As if gaming journalism wasn't already a joke...

The article was released on the 19th...but the writer refers to the game as being in beta(!) and then continues to bash the game for issues that have been fixed as of release. I think the biggest head scratcher for me is that the article is still up; unrevised. I hope the author's venture into gaming journalism was a short one.
    While I think it's a bit low (they do bring up some legit gripes, but I don't get how they could like the story in SWTOR but not TSW), this brings up a funny situation. Games get super high scores: Reviews are a joke. Games get super low scores: Reviews are a joke.

Biggest factor in all of this is still ad dollars. There wasn't enough ad money floating about and there wasn't enough hype generated for them to give it a decent score. That and gaming journalisms MMO reviews are generally trash (they RARELY get to max level, usually it's maybe 10-20h of gameplay or just 3-4 days of playing). MMO's are hard to review and require insane time investments for them to properly be reviewed.

This review really tests your ability to digest "one person's personal views" on things. I find it hard to belive that his opinion is unbiased.

Also, maybe it's my weak knowledge of English, but he didn't prove any of the points he made. He just trashed absolutely every aspect of the game without ever explaining why he did that - it's not criticism, it's whining. Does he get paid for that? I'm fairly certain I could do the same and for less money.

If G4 wanted to trash the game they coul've easily done that in a smart way with an intelligent review. We, in our fanboi rage, would have choked on our tears and spit but would change nothing. Instead, they hire an assclown (sorry mods?) and make fools of themselves. That is as far from journalism as it gets.

Deleted
    It's funny, one of the things i like about this game is the lack of split between EU and US. I've gotten so used to this split, and i kinda figured it would be nice to meet more different people, but not that it would matter.

Currently i'm at home due to an injury so i'm playing a bit funny hours (can't sit up long due to my injury so play a bit whenever i feel ok) and no matter when i play, there's always people to play with

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    While I think it's a bit low (they do bring up some legit gripes, but I don't get how they could like the story in SWTOR but not TSW), this brings up a funny situation. Games get super high scores: Reviews are a joke. Games get super low scores: Reviews are a joke.

Biggest factor in all of this is still ad dollars. There wasn't enough ad money floating about and there wasn't enough hype generated for them to give it a decent score. That and gaming journalisms MMO reviews are generally trash (they RARELY get to max level, usually it's maybe 10-20h of gameplay or just 3-4 days of playing). MMO's are hard to review and require insane time investments for them to properly be reviewed.
    The guy flat out said "why review the released product when it didn't change much from the beta." I wasn't even going to buy this game until the last week of closed beta, when they started implementing 4 to 5 patches and hotfixes a day. The game improved drastically then, and it was improved a ridiculous amount more for release. Granted, there are legitimate complaints in there, mainly about character creation, bugged quests (which the writer was reviewing a beta, then most of the investigation mission weren't in beta to be tested) and animations, but the rest of the game is pretty solid. This review was pretty much the writer saying he didn't like anything about a beta so the released product couldn't possibly be better.

I'm not really upset that he said something bad about a game I like. I'm not upset about that at all, actually. What I'm upset about is that I busted my ass to get my credentials, and this guy made a joke out of a job and passion that I take seriously. Sure it's a game review, but the purpose of journalism is to inform, give the facts, and put in the time necessary to do so. He did none of this.

As far as what you said about too high/low scores, that's also the same sort of problem. Instead of being accurate and fair about a review, most game and movie reviewers these days approach a review with the attitude of "OMG I loved/hated it because it was awesome/terrible so I give it 9/10/2/10." As much as I love TSW, I'd only give it an 8-8.5 out of 10. Sure I enjoy it, but there are shortcomings. Honestly, reviews for MMOs shouldn't even come out until a month and a half after release.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laggerbob View Post
    So is there like a trial or something somewhere?
    Read so many mixed opinions about the game and personally loving the whole Cthulhu-mythos, which seems to be prevalent in the game, would really like to try before splurging ~50$ for it.
    The 1st 3rd of the current game is set on the Solomon islands, and they have a lot of Cthulhu references. The other current 2/6th of the game are set to different mythos. But by that point you will be hooked.

The game feels nothing like other MMOs, which is a big plus, it has plenty of growth room for casual gamers, and hardcore player. It is nothing like WOW, which was the major flaw in SWTOR which was like WOW. They made the game worth playing, and building characters.

If you played City of Heroes, Champions, DCU, or several of the superhero super human MMOs this game can safely replace that game for you, if you live breath and rate everything on WOW, stay in WOW. No other game will be good for you,

Deleted
    hey guys! i am planing on buying this game but i really wanna check it out 1st... so i am asking for buddy key, if u got one to spare pls p.m. me thx

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow that review on G4..is shocking, to say the least. It clearly shows that they don't give a crap and hire just about anyone, since any sane rational person that has extensive mmo experience would tell you immediately how off and just flat out wrong he is with several of his claims. Not to mention the fact he reviewed a BETA and G4 posted it as a RELEASE REVIEW. This is just embarassing, and really gives credit to those conspiracy theory kids who claim giant lobbies are working behind the scenes to badmouth specific games and companies lol. He speaks of awful voice acting? Who the F is this troll? And they actually published that...embarassing to say the least.

I'm in the 3rd area of the Solomon Islands now, the story is gripping, some of the missions scared the hell out of me (being RE, AitD etc hardened). It is challenging with a steep learning curve, but nothing someone with a bit of mmo or gaming experience can't overcome. The game, inspite of the lack of dungeon finder or a similar tool, is very alive and groups are formed by the minute on chat. The skill system is hugely immersive and motivating, keeping you looking forward to almost every new ability unlocked since you have so many possibilities for combination. The crafting, while a bit bulky and not very engaging, fulfills it's purpose and has a very simple and easy-to-learn system. The dungeons (done two so far) are quite fun, especially in terms of presentation and production, and the bosses are as challenging as i remember some of the tougher AoC ones to be.

This is no "WoW-Killer", and it's definitely no "WoW-Clone". It's something original, fresh and immersing. It doesn't reinvent the wheel, but it does a lot of things right and with a tangible gusto, Funcom's love for their game just jumps at you in every little detail. It's definitely not for the LFD/LFR crowd or the BF kids who want instant gratification with facebook commenting. You actually have to think in this game, making it that much more rewarding to progress. Kudos. Looking forward to the promised monthly content.

There are some missions in this game that give me the hevy jeevies, such as the mine in blue mountain, I yelled WTF in my room when I entered the dark area with a pair of glowing red eyes from a shade that was standing right next to me not attacking...
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account

I don't have much of a problem with anything he personally didn't like. Opinion is opinion. He did a poor job supporting his arguments for a lot of it, but whatever. What I do have a problem with are the flat out inaccuracies that G4 can't even be bothered to revise or retract. If you are going to post a article nearly two weeks after the product released then it should be topical for the released product, not a beta-based article with a meager defense of 'it didn't change from beta so I'm not going to change my article at all'. The fact that the author even refers to the game as being "this late in beta" as of the 19th goes to show there is no intent on accuracy.

The author of this article has gone so far as to call someone an 'asshole' because another 'tweeter'(?) told them they should have reviewed the released product (source).

To me, its just one more indication of a more systemic problem in the gaming world. Did Funcom refuse to pay their 'protection money'?
    Last edited by Rooflesstoofless; 2012-07-23 at 06:54 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    There are some missions in this game that give me the hevy jeevies, such as the mine in blue mountain, I yelled WTF in my room when I entered the dark area with a pair of glowing red eyes from a shade that was standing right next to me not attacking...
    That mine area was freaky as all heck. I'm sure there are some lore items I missed in the dark tunnels, but I refused to go exploring. lol This is not a game that I can play with half closed eyes. I love it.
    Playing
    WildStar -Mechari Medic, Draken Stalker
    Diablo: RoS
    GW2 - Ranger

I don't have much of a problem with anything he personally didn't like. Opinion is opinion. He did a poor job supporting his arguments for a lot of it, but whatever. What I do have a problem with are the flat out inaccuracies that G4 can't even be bothered to revise or retract. If you are going to post a article nearly two weeks after the product released then it should be topical for the released product, not a beta-based article with a meager defense of 'it didn't change from beta so I'm not going to change my article at all'.

The author of this article has gone so far as to call someone an 'asshole' because the person told them they should have reviewed the released product (source).

To me, its just one more indication of a more systemic problem in the gaming world. Did Funcom refuse to pay their 'protection money'?
    Meh, according to him he did play the finished product as well. And while I haven't played the finished product I did play a good bit of beta for a while and while there were some great improvements as it progressed, it didn't improve the game enough for me to feel it warranted a purchase and subscription fee (personal opinion).

And I acknowledged the bit about ad dollars buying better reviews, it's pretty hard for anyone to deny it at this point (especially with events like the Gamespot fiasco with Cane and Lynch [I think that was the game]), which is pretty sad.

It's unfortunate that big gaming sites have so little credibility with their reviews but hold so much sway. Honestly, most of the best reviews I've seen come from the smaller sites with guys who are super passionate about the games they play. That's where you get people who are massive MMO fans giving a MMO the proper time needed to write a proper review.

Honestly, I think if the game didn't have a subscription it would be getting much better review scores. The fact that it has a subscription means people are expecting a certain level of quality that just isn't there with the game right now. It's still a great game with an amazing story, a spectacular atmosphere, and wonderful lore, but any initial review is going to look at it as a subscription based game. Unfortunately we don't know if Funcom will be able to deliver on their promise of monthly content updates (and we don't know the type of quality of those updates), but reviewers SHOULD revisit their reviews once we start seeing that as that has a HUGE affect on what kind of score a MMO should get. Sadly, mainstream sites just aren't fully read to review MMO's as they should be and are reviewing them as they would review traditional games pretty much.

I don't have much of a problem with anything he personally didn't like. Opinion is opinion. He did a poor job supporting his arguments for a lot of it, but whatever. What I do have a problem with are the flat out inaccuracies that G4 can't even be bothered to revise or retract. If you are going to post a article nearly two weeks after the product released then it should be topical for the released product, not a beta-based article with a meager defense of 'it didn't change from beta so I'm not going to change my article at all'. The fact that the author even refers to the game as being "this late in beta" as of the 19th goes to show there is no intent on accuracy.

The author of this article has gone so far as to call someone an 'asshole' because the person told them they should have reviewed the released product (source).

Also seems he doesn't know how to push "B" in-game and I'd guess stupidity is one of the reasons he says all the quests are bugged as well, just because he can't solve them.
    (And well, because he played it in beta, but I can safely say that there's very very few bugged quests right now, unless I'm just really lucky and have somehow completed all of them anyways.)
    Some quests require outside knowledge to solve, like say an obscure bible passage. But who in their right mind wants to exit a game, visit Google and look up a passage? It interrupts gameplay and just feels like lazy design.
    And even the ravens as he mentioned, I didn't even think that they were bugged and suddenly vanished, they just fly one direction and outfly you until you catch up with them sitting on the ground but running after something is probably too much to ask unless a questhelper and a huge arrow tells you to run after it.

Unfortunately though, this probably gave G4 more hits than they would ever have gotten if the review was good, so they're probably fine with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ighox View Post
    And even the ravens as he mentioned, I didn't even think that they were bugged and suddenly vanished, they just fly one direction and outfly you until you catch up with them sitting on the ground but running after something is probably too much to ask unless a questhelper and a huge arrow tells you to run after it.
    Aren't there tons of clues in game that help you work out the puzzles though? I mean, they're supposed to be challenging and require you to put together seemingly unrelated pieces of a puzzle and search for clues.

It's funny because gaming media have been bemoaning how easy games have become but they will attack a game that actually challenges them if it comes out (except with some games like Dark Souls). How dare a game actually require me to think and use my critical reasoning capabilities and problem solving skills!

...I haven't played the finished product...
    You say this, then say this later:

The fact that it has a subscription means people are expecting a certain level of quality that just isn't there with the game right now.
    I'm not nitpicking or making a personal attack, but the beta was shit compared to the live version of the game. Yes, there are still quality issues, including animations, character creation, and bugs, but the overall quality of the game is high; in fact, it's much higher than it was in the very last stages of closed beta.

It's nowhere near perfect, and this is probably the best example of a game having an open beta that actually hurt it rather than help it. Too many people feel the same as you, that there wasn't any quality in the beta so the the live game couldn't possibly be any better, but it is. The beta was pretty bad, so anyone who feels that way definitely have a right and reason to feel as such. Lucky for me, I decided it was different and interesting enough to try, and I couldn't be happier. Of course, individual mileage may vary. Point is, though, that people shouldn't have to make that decision on a game. The real issue with choosing to play any game, especially a new release, should be personal taste, not whether or not the game has a certain level of quality or polish. I think Funcom really dropped the ball on marketing the finished product.