Deleted

Question Guild Wars 2 Patches

Hello everyone,

I recently got into Guild Wars 2 and im realy excited about it. I might even quit WoW for it. I however had a few question's:

-Does Guild Wars 2 have patches like WoW does? With new PvE and PvP content,class changes ect?
    -Is Guild Wars 2 more PvP or Pve oriëntated? Is there as in WoW a realm's first race between guilds to defeat a specific boss or encounter? Or are there more Arena and PvP LAN's and tournaments?

10+ Year Old Account
    1. Yes, GW2 will get "frequent", as described by devs, updates through patches.

2. The PvE game isn't competitive, doesn't mean it's not a PvE game, doesn't mean it's a PvP game (heck, challenge mode dungeons can definitely be a possibility in the future, I think that would be really cool). Gw2 is a game where you can play purely PvE or PvP and have a blast, whatever you want; I've barely touched PvP in the beta, had a blast in PvE.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

There's no competitive PvE or raiding tiers. Its PvE design is very different from WoW.

There is a large emphasis on it, and a huge quantity of it though. It has a very large focus on competitive PvP with tournaments, as well. Basically, casual PvP, and hardcore/casual PvP. Both will be balanced separately, and both will be a large focus for the developers (unlike certain MMOs)
    Last edited by Larynx; 2012-07-27 at 06:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Malthurius View Post
    (heck, challenge mode dungeons can definitely be a possibility in the future, I think that would be really cool)
    as in hardmode explorable dungeons?

Quote Originally Posted by sacrypheyes View Post
    as in hardmode explorable dungeons?
    I think he meant more like, explorable mode dungeons with a secondary objective, or given a reward based on how long it took. Like challenge missions in GW1

GW1 is a good example of how GW2 is handled.

There aren't huge patches like you see with WoW or SWTOR where they advertise huge new content and such. Guild Wars does everything in small batches. Just logging out and back in sometimes gives you a new build.

Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    I think he meant more like, explorable mode dungeons with a secondary objective, or given a reward based on how long it took. Like challenge missions in GW1
    I loved the challenge missions in GW1 (actually loved the mission structure in general there). I hope they make a return in GW2 at some point.

Oh yes. GW2's patching is great. To use a new build, you simply restart the client. There's hardly any downtime between patches. It's great.

Quote Originally Posted by leafs43 View Post
    GW1 is a good example of how GW2 is handled.

There aren't huge patches like you see with WoW or SWTOR where they advertise huge new content and such. Guild Wars does everything in small batches. Just logging out and back in sometimes gives you a new build.
    Usually, yes, but that implies a lack of added content. If you check the September 7, 2005 update, for example (other examples being April 2010, November 2010, and September 2011), you'll see there has been content added in patches.

I know you're not necessarily saying there was no content added in patches, but I wanted to clarify the point

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

Deleted
    In guild wars 1 there a race between guild who can complete a dungeon fastest.

Quote Originally Posted by Nympharia View Post
    Hello everyone,

I recently got into Guild Wars 2 and im realy excited about it. I might even quit WoW for it. I however had a few question's:

-Does Guild Wars 2 have patches like WoW does? With new PvE and PvP content,class changes ect?
    -Is Guild Wars 2 more PvP or Pve oriëntated? Is there as in WoW a realm's first race between guilds to defeat a specific boss or encounter? Or are there more Arena and PvP LAN's and tournaments?
    As another WoW escapee (prior to Cataclysm), GW2 has raised the bar for all future MMOs. In answer to your questions:
    1) GW2 has 2 kinds of patches. Free - without bringing down the servers which will be new content and special events (in both PVE and PVP), and regular full-up expansions (much new content that will be just like WoW expansions that you will have to buy). Unlike WoW,there are hidden puzzles in both WvWvW and PvE zones and if you want to go around and discover that too will give you some nice rewards.
    2) GW2 will satisfy both camps I feel. You can level your toon either way (just by doing PvP or PvE) because they are treated completely separately (note: in PvP you will always play at level capped - 80). Also, unlike WoW you can even level your character just by crafting stuff. In PvE all resource nodes are individual so no one can grab the node ahead of you nor can they tag a kill because all quest/events are rewarded to all participants according to their level rather than the zone level (A HUGE IMPROVEMENT over the WoW system). The instances/dungeons in GW2 are very much different than WoW in that since there is no class/profession requirement to do them, so in those instances the boss fights will be unique upon your group's breakdown. As for tournaments right now, there is only WvWvW which is a 2 week long slugfest between 3 servers that give the winning server buffs for both PvP and PvE. There is also PvP zones that are similar to GW1 in which there are bosses you can take down for PvP points. Right now, we don't know the extent of tournament play (there was this beer keg fest thing that sort of was like PvP in the beta).

Many claim the way the game mechanics work you don't feel the need to gear grind (basically, gear is only for bragging rights not combat advantage). There are over 240 dungeons armor sets (counting all races and professions) and of course there is PvP gear with different looks you can get. You can also transmute gear to make the armor look like another armor set if you want.

Winds of Change on Hard Mode... Urgh, that made me rage in some missions, one easy to remember is the freaking mission where you have to keep Soarclaw alive, with just 4 people in party. But the feeling to finally pass trough it was really good.

Oh yes. GW2's patching is great. To use a new build, you simply restart the client. There's hardly any downtime between patches. It's great.
    It used to be a big pain in the ass for the original guild wars because quite often it would happen during the middle of the day and any PvP form that required more than one map zoning you got screwed.

Luckily the only form of PvP that requires multiple rounds is Tournaments, and it's pretty much impossible to leave them... you log out and when you log back in you're sucked right back into the map.
    The most important thing to realize is, no matter what you experience you are never alone; no matter what you are struggling through, there is always someone who is more unfortunate.

It's Ok to Be Takei (Rank 35/ Fractal Level 22)

Yeah, I think in the 7 years that Guild Wars 1 has been running, there has been approximately 32 hours of server downtime. Think about that for a minute...32 hours in 7 years, it's astonishing.

Quote Originally Posted by mofo View Post
    Yeah, I think in the 7 years that Guild Wars 1 has been running, there has been approximately 32 hours of server downtime. Think about that for a minute...32 hours in 7 years, it's astonishing.
    And something like 20 hours of that was when they physically moved the servers.