I never recall that with the mesmer

---------- Post added 2012-07-29 at 11:54 PM ----------

http://www.gw2build.com/builds/simul...0.0.20.20.30.0

Replaced the healing shattering with vigor shatter for some extra escape, I need to test its usefulness though as I don't want to override my vigor with a possibly full health bar and I don't want to dodge just to dodge for vigor.

I was also thinking of taking 3% reduced damage for each illusion instead of a random condition when a clone is killed.

9% damage reduction seems pretty minor though, if an attack hits for 2k its only taking like 190 damage off of it... which I guess adds up in time but if a random condition means any condition, it can apply freeze or poison.
    Last edited by zito; 2012-07-29 at 11:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Snake1596 View Post
    is it just me, or does mesmer go down in popularity? before i saw a lot of people picking him up(also voting on him on forums) but now it seems its the least played proffesion (also bump)
    yeah,i guess thats what happens when people relize they cant faceroll shattering mechanic and have to use this thing called there brain

i guess from what ive heard though shattering is eather.fixed to the way arenanet originally intended shattering to be,or they made it easier cuz what i heard shattering was in bwe3 wasnt how it was in the previous 2 bwe's
    Last edited by CrunkJuice5; 2012-07-30 at 11:01 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake1596 View Post
    is it just me, or does mesmer go down in popularity? before i saw a lot of people picking him up(also voting on him on forums) but now it seems its the least played proffesion (also bump)
    I think necro is the least popular.

the thing wiht mesmer is that its got alot of complexity right off the bat...timing shatters, timing phanstasm so as not to be overwritten, making sure you get good use of phantasms before shatters and so on. Its got what is probbaly the steepest learning curve and is quite a subtle profession. So maybe that puts people who prefer "run in and smash it" type of gameplay off a bit.

Different strokes for different folks I suppose. After my guardian, I'll be levelling a mesmer, in fact may level them at the same time, using mesmer for WvWvW.

Quote Originally Posted by CrunkJuice5 View Post
    yeah,i guess thats what happens when people relize they cant faceroll shattering mechanic and have to use this thing called there brain

i guess from what ive heard though shattering is eather.fixed to the way arenanet originally intended shattering to be,or they made it easier cuz what i heard shattering was in bwe3 wasnt how it was in the previous 2 bwe's
    BWE1 shattering was fine when scepter still applied confusion cry of frustration had a usefulness, that changed fast and cry still remains useless unless you trait it to give retaliation but at the same time you pick up every shatter applies confusion so redundant much?

Mind wrack wasn't even that OP, I didn't even touch it and still raped faces it was just bad players bitching.

BWE2 Mind wrack became useless as expected from the cry babys, cry of frustration didn't receive a change like Anet promised, scepter remained a useless clone factory overwriting phantasms when not needed, clones not deceiving foes and phantasms were OP.

BWE3 mind wrack was more useful, cry still useless.

Oh but I deviated from my point, my point is I doubt the shatter mechanic (effects where were unknown during the mesmer hype) was the cause of the mesmer hype/popularity or decline of it.

People thought of mind fucking mesmers and sadly people bitched about an unfinished design such as myself. Until clones actually mind fuck its not the mesmer people wanted, when summoning clones doesn't drop target all a person has to do is follow the ring around your feet or icon above your head... and thats where "stealth" comes in, I am still pretty sure it was implemented when they decided to drop the whole clone dropping target thing, aka a band aid fix, or the bbq sauce on bad ribs.
    Last edited by zito; 2012-07-30 at 11:18 PM.

Seeing how the "Power-Based-Mesmer" build that Xeph uses is floating all over the internets and is highly popular, is there actually a heavy confusion build that's moderately viable, and how would one go about using it? I'm thinking something like This but I have no idea what I'm doing in the theorycrafting community.

Anyone who doesn't fail at life able to point me in the right direction?
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    Seeing how the "Power-Based-Mesmer" build that Xeph uses is floating all over the internets and is highly popular, is there actually a heavy confusion build that's moderately viable, and how would one go about using it? I'm thinking something like This but I have no idea what I'm doing in the theorycrafting community.

Anyone who doesn't fail at life able to point me in the right direction?
    If you took a pendant of the shaman, and then got some nice runes that gave some condition damage as well as other defensive stats (like rune of the undead) it'd work pretty well....
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

The problem with confusion build is you are relying all your damage on confusion, so you need a steady stream of confusion going. However scepters confusion last 5 seconds, so for 10 seconds you need to somehow apply it another way.

You have something going with blind though. I can't remember but the player doesn't need to hit for confusion to do damage right?

Use this build generator for builds, it has the runes and sigils.

Last edited by zito; 2012-08-01 at 03:48 AM.

Correct. They need to activate a skill (even if it's a basic 1-Auto Attack, even for mobs), whether it's a hit or a miss will trigger Confusion damage.
    Last edited by Kelesti; 2012-08-01 at 03:49 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    The problem with confusion build is you are relying all your damage on confusion, so you need a steady stream of confusion going. However scepters confusion last 5 seconds, so for 10 seconds you need to somehow apply it another way.

You have something going with blind though. I can't remember but the player doesn't need to hit for confusion to do damage right?

Use this build generator for builds, it has the runes and sigils.

last i checked as long as they were targeted by you when you hit the blind skill they'd get confusion, i didn't use that trait in BWE3 though so it may have changed.
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

It seems like rune of nightmare is basically the only good choice for confusion as it gives 10% condition duration. However its only .5 seconds for a 5 stack of confusion -.- and a 1s fear on a 90 sec cd.... so yea

is .5 seconds worth it?
    Last edited by zito; 2012-08-01 at 03:55 AM.

You're forgetting the trait of +33% duration as well, and the phantasm from Torch spewing stacks. I just have to make sure that my auto-fire is turned off on Scepter. 1, 1, hit a different button. 1, 1, hit a different button.
    Last edited by Kelesti; 2012-08-01 at 03:58 AM.

You're forgetting the trait of +33% duration as well, and the phantasm from Torch spewing stacks.
    I am working on your build kel, I just finished with runes and sigils and the weapons now on to traits.

SLOW THE FRENCH TOAST DOWN

:3

10+ Year Old Account
    You're forgetting the trait of +33% duration as well, and the phantasm from Torch spewing stacks. I just have to make sure that my auto-fire is turned off on Scepter. 1, 1, hit a different button. 1, 1, hit a different button.
    don't forget the 10% you get from your 10 points in dom either...

So far I dropped phantasmal haste, I don't know the attack speeds of all phantasms however its around once every 5 or 6 seconds which is only 1 second off, which is not that great compared to another MONSTER combo I just found.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    So far I dropped phantasmal haste, I don't know the attack speeds of all phantasms however its around once every 5 or 6 seconds which is only 1 second off, which is not that great compared to another MONSTER combo I just found.
    I was thinking "use it to spawn more phantasms faster". But I'll wait to see what you can come up with.

I was thinking "use it to spawn more phantasms faster". But I'll wait to see what you can come up with.
    All done... no leftover points for u!

http://www.gw2build.com/builds/simul...4.20.0.0.20.30

Glamours cause confusion when a person enters or exits - glamours also inflict blind and blind inflicts confusion. Reduced CD on glamours and increased their duration.

You can alter somethings around. Like clone crippling you don't really need and you can switch the glamours around, you don't need to take feedback or field I just like those 2. You can also drop one for the blind signet if you want but its 1 less confusion then with 2 glamours.

You have a whooping 63% increased in confusion duration assuming they all stack you can go 73% but the last 10 points are better spent elsewhere.

Sigils you can also change around, however they are mostly junk because 90% of them are crit based. I went staff because it plays off condition damage well and it has good defense, GS is just too slow. Another alternative is sword/pistol because it has a invul and a blind with the gun.
    Last edited by zito; 2012-08-01 at 04:22 AM.

I was thinking Sword/Pistol for the control/survivability it gives. But Staff does play the condition damage. And Chaos Storm. Lemme take a look.

If my theory is correct and condition duration stacks and is not multiplicative (it would be god damn useless if its multiplicative) you can drop nightmare rune for something else. I would recommend either undead rune if you wan't more damage which I think you don't need or Svanir rune for +frozen duration to play off your frozen sigils -50% frozen duration to yourself (I hope its yourself, it doesn't say D: ) and more toughness because running 17k hp is almost suicide.

However I strongly suggest running double frozen sigil no matter what you pick.
    Last edited by zito; 2012-08-01 at 04:30 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmmmm that build seems pretty smexy!! lol btw zito, why is it you have so many glamours in your builds after i linked mine? Did i -inspire- you xD?

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    Hmmmm that build seems pretty smexy!! lol btw zito, why is it you have so many glamours in your builds after i linked mine? Did i -inspire- you xD?
    I don't remember ever looking at your builds except from BWE1. I just saw the glamour trait that inflicts confusion and the blind trait that inflicts confusion and went with it.

Mesmer surv was pretty low BWE3 outside sword invul.
    Last edited by zito; 2012-08-01 at 04:33 AM.