Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'll add a reason

Completing a complex meta event chain which spawns a dungeon. These "mini-dungeons" will require more than 5 players.

It's going to change raiding as we know it.
    Valar morghulis

10+ Year Old Account
    GW2-Better Looking, slightly
    WoW-MUCH more content
    For the night is dark and full of terrors

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Soratrox View Post
    But expansiveness of the system aside, it's still the same static of WAR's system isn't it?
    It's just not on the same time scale.

That is, the farm given in your example, is going to be attacked by centaurs. And after the full DE is done, it will eventually get attacked by centaurs again.
    This is what I meant by just a more expansive version of previously seen systems.

I'm not saying it isn't still a cool thing, but it certainly isn't as open ended an endless, or as new and original as fans seem to make it out.

Edit:

It should be noted that I am a wow player, but don't have any sort of dislike towards GW2.
    I just wish to understand its appeal better.
    Yes. In time. But if the centaurs take it, they will start branching out and taking nearby towns. There will be events to run into a centaur occupied town to retake the town from the centaurs, and then you have to capture the town while defending against waves. After you've successfully captured the town, it will periodically be attacked by centaurs. Sometimes you even get events after capturing to go destroy a centaur's siege force or to rescue members of the town who were captured during the invasion by attacking a nearby centaur camp.

The DEs are too extensive to be compared to RIFT or other similar MMOs.

---------- Post added 2012-08-03 at 11:14 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Algearond View Post
    WoW-MUCH more content
    I would STRONGLY disagree with that. If you count the same picture painted a different colour as more content then that's fine, but WoW is the same content with different settings, trust me.

Only recently has WoW started being more innovative.

Where are these mini dungeons exactly? Can't say I ever found any and the couple of videos I saw on YT were just like caves or a small room/cavern.

Also, how will it change "raiding as we know it"? Seems sorta outlandish.

Deleted
    But expansiveness of the system aside, it's still the same static of WAR's system isn't it?

That is, the farm given in your example, is going to be attacked by centaurs. And after the full DE is done, it will eventually get attacked by centaurs again.
    This is what I meant by just a more expansive version of previously seen systems.

I'm not saying it isn't still a cool thing, but it certainly isn't as open ended an endless, or as new and original as fans seem to make it out.

Edit:

It should be noted that I am a wow player, but don't have any sort of dislike towards GW2.

http://www.arena.net/blog/colin-joha...vent-questions
    (in the second question)

<<Many of the events in the game belong to large event chains that cycle in various directions based on the outcome of the events in the chain. Other events can be one-off events that can occur, change the world, and cycle back so some conditions must be met in the world to make the event start again. These event cycles vary dramatically on a case-by-case basis. In some large event chains, depending on player participation and the outcome of events, the chain could go entirely from one end to the other over the course of hours before it cycles back. .In other cases, the event may change the world for 10-15 minutes before it can cycle back around. Some events only occur when specific conditions are met, like a snow storm rolls into the map, or night falls over the graveyard. If an event reaches one end of the chain, it could sit at that point for days, weeks, or months until a player comes along and decides to participate in the event chain. We’ve tried to vary the conditions that trigger events and change the length and variety of the event cycles so that everything feels organic and unique.>>
    Last edited by mmocd9c65c8d53; 2012-08-03 at 10:29 PM.

I guess it is how it is more chaotic, the "quests" (Events) are run by the server's timeframe, rather than your own. So it doesn't wait. That kind of makes a sense of importance, especially because the events have effects on the world.

Not to mention, you can contribute in any way possible to the event, it is run by a progress bar rather than a checklist.

And distractions, many distractions.
    Last edited by BoomChickn; 2012-08-03 at 10:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Ford
    Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably why few engage in it.
    This explains a lot.

Herald of the Titans Snow White's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    ITT: People who dont understand the difference between aesthetics and graphics.

You can't seriously say that wow has better graphics than GW2. If you prefer the aesthetic, fine but it's graphics are outdated.

GW2 graphics are amazing.

WoW-MUCH more content
    Too bad 99.9 percent of wows "content" becomes completely irrelevant once you hit level cap.
    Last edited by Snow White; 2012-08-03 at 10:28 PM.

A lot of people are bringing this raid issue...

Well, if GW2 really lacks Endgame, they will fall into the same mistake SWTOR did. The leveling content IS NOT enough to keep people interested in the long term in a MMO, period.

Maybe this will be a lesser issue than it was with SWTOR since GW2 is F2P from the beggining.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Madruga View Post

Well, if GW2 really lacks Endgame, they will fall into the same mistake SWTOR did. The leveling content IS NOT enough to keep people interested in the long term in a MMO, period.

Maybe this will be a lesser issue than it was with SWTOR since GW2 is F2P from the beggining.
    WoW release 1 raid , 1 or 2 week after its release
    And 2 more after 3 weeks

Believe it or not, raiding isn't what keeps people playing MMOs. Raids appeal to a small segment of players.

It's all the world "fluff" that keeps players playing. I would say GW2 has that in droves.

I have a question regarding DE's, since I'm still partially new to everything, only did one beta and stress test:

If I complete a specific DE, won't it reset after a certain amount of time? Won't those centaurs respawn after a while and try to take over the farm again, or are they gone forever? If so, how will the player after me get to beat up the centaurs?

Also, I think people talking about WoW's graphics and aesthetics being better just haven't had a chance to play the game. The Sylvari area being the most eye opening I've seen yet. On lowest settings, the game is beautiful, but remember WoW is an 8 year old game.

Quote Originally Posted by Weird Beard View Post
    I have a question regarding DE's, since I'm still partially new to everything, only did one beta and stress test:

If I complete a specific DE, won't it reset after a certain amount of time? Won't those centaurs respawn after a while and try to take over the farm again, or are they gone forever? If so, how will the player after me get to beat up the centaurs?

Also, I think people talking about WoW's graphics and aesthetics being better just haven't had a chance to play the game. The Sylvari area being the most eye opening I've seen yet. On lowest settings, the game is beautiful, but remember WoW is an 8 year old game.
    They eventually reset. From what I have seen individual events can reset very fast depending on how many people there are, but meta events, even the small ones, can take quite a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Ford
    Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably why few engage in it.
    This explains a lot.

10+ Year Old Account
    WoW-MUCH more content
    Er, actual content as a whole? Sure. It has 8 years of existence to thank for that. Relevant content? Doubtful.

Well, it was successful in the past and in the previous Guild Wars games. Which sold well enough to fund a much talked of sequel.

The thing about TOR is that it was not feature complete. EA/Bioware made a a poorly designed and executed game. Other games thrive on and so will TOR once it is F2P without 5+ million subs.

If GW2 "fails" it will be because the game is just not fun. Not because it lacks instanced raids.

Deleted
    WoW-MUCH more content
    GW2 looks considerably better than WoW.
    Content? What are you doing right now that's new? What was patch 4.1 all about? Two new dungeons? DS being a rehash of a ton of old bosses? There was what, one new character skin?

10+ Year Old Account
    it also cures cancer, stops global warming and will figure out that whole middle east thing....

Infracted.
    Last edited by grandpab; 2012-08-03 at 10:52 PM.

Deleted
    Quaggan are not harmless:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZdvDKuJE8Q

Their nukes are just more subtle
    (anyone who makes the whole duration I applaud you)

I appreciate the DE information, guys.

I think this is a major point that doesn't get touched on as much as it should.
    Being a B2P game, GW2 isn't really in direct competition with the other MMOs, I imagine a great deal of people will continue to play Swtor, WoW, Rift, and also purchase GW2, so that they can fool around when they get bored of their normal MMO.

I don't think having a end goal to pursue (endgame raiding and progression) is really necessary in a B2P game. With an active subscription, you need something to drive you to keep playing, because otherwise there's no justification for continuing to pay every month. But without that subscription, it's fine if you just treat GW2 as a sort of open ended multiplayer RPG game with no defined "end".

Like something from the elder scrolls series, but without the main quest line and with more things to do.

Deleted

hang round after events, and watch them spiral outwards, really, if you do 1 DE and then move on, you miss most of the event chain. that NPC you just helped, follow him, he wont just run 10ft and despawn, he will go somewhere and something will happen.

10+ Year Old Account
    DEs make the game feel alive, and one thing is for sure: the journey to max level is WAY more fun and interesting than any other mmo.
    Arukas