Thread: add ons in gw2

Page 1 of 24
... LastLast

add ons in gw2

will gw2 have add ons up on curse. i see that gw2 does not support third party programs or mods as in "if you break it we wont help." but third party programs and mods are still aloud as long as no one is cheating. i thought about this after reading the "enemy hp" thread. it makes me think someone could just make a add on to show enemy hp. now if everyone did not have access to the add on that person would have a advantage.

To add, they said they want the players to play the GAME not the UI, so i doubt it will be enabled later either

Edit: Before someone asks for it

http://www.arena.net/blog/the-golden...f-guild-wars-2
    Last edited by ptolemy66t; 2012-08-04 at 09:36 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's really no need for Add-Ons in Guild Wars 2.

10+ Year Old Account
    No there is no add ons, and I dont think many people want them, Ill miss being able to design my own UI but not the needing to download/update them.
    Now, you might be thinking, “Hey, game designer! That’s about the stupidest thing ever typed.” And it kind of is.
    Its not kin of, it is the stupidest thing ever typed. Its also funny how the screenshot they use looks nice and clean yet I can never see anything due to the amount of particle effects and debuffs/buffs, mobs, other players, anyone can fake a tidy screen while not fighting to promote a games clean ui, the photo is just a lie, the game gets just as cluttered and just as confusing during a fight as any mmo ive played.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    No there is no add ons, and I dont think many people want them, Ill miss being able to design my own UI but not the needing to download/update them.

Its not kin of, it is the stupidest thing ever typed. Its also funny how the screenshot they use looks nice and clean yet I can never see anything due to the amount of particle effects and debuffs/buffs, mobs, other players, anyone can fake a tidy screen while not fighting to promote a games clean ui, the photo is just a lie, the game gets just as cluttered and just as confusing during a fight as any mmo ive played.
    ???... I don't know how particle effects are part of the UI, the picture they use looks the same as the UI I have in game. I never really had problems with particle clutter personally, I didn't do a lot of WvW, so that might be where it's really obviously, but out in the PvE world, I found particle clutter to the point of confusion fairly rare.
    Last edited by Malthurius; 2012-08-04 at 10:00 PM.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

10+ Year Old Account
    they said that they want us to watch and listen to the game; you can see the aoe skills and you can hear them, and so you can avoid / block them.
    You will have to learn all of them for PvP.

Quote Originally Posted by rogerwilko View Post
    they said that they want us to watch and listen to the game; you can see the aoe skills and you can hear them, and so you can avoid / block them.
    You will have to learn all of them for PvP.
    Speaking of that, here's an interesting memory trainer some guy made on Reddit. It's a game that helps you remember boons and buffs and what they do for GW2.
    Here's a flashcard trainer for GW2 as well.

Deleted
    Theres some ppl , that dont like simplicity of the Inteferance UI (skin)(i wouldnt say no to a silver dragon , around the 1-9 spell bar:P) .
    So we could ask Arenanet next time in the officials forums to could create a <<Inteferance UI >> contest and let the fans create their own UI skin , with photoshop or simply paint program , voting via facebook for the top 20 (but create all of the 20, ingame) .

(that way they would gain more publicity via FB , and once again to show that they listen to their fans :P)
    Last edited by mmocd9c65c8d53; 2012-08-04 at 10:53 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthurius View Post
    ???... I don't know how particle effects are part of the UI, the picture they use looks the same as the UI I have in game. I never really had problems with particle clutter personally, I didn't do a lot of WvW, so that might be where it's really obviously, but out in the PvE world, I found particle clutter to the point of confusion fairly rare.
    I could log on any of my mmos, turn off my add ons, take a picture while standing around and say, hey guys look how great my ui is, but when it boils down to it, when you get fighting the buffs/debuffs are impossible to keep track of, the particle affects although not relating to ui do add to screen clutter that was mentioned during the same section . Its also missing the health bar of the mob your fighting, and I dont know if you ever tried to keep track of debuffs on a mob but its near impossible in a group. The UI may be cleaner because we dont have add ons but at the same time I dont agree that its better. The picture may not be a 'lie' thats the wront term but it is just picking and chosing to make it look clean when its not when you actually want to use it, and dont forget the constant [F] search/revive that pops up that really annoyed me mid fight :P

I would like addons, for say the ui (i dont care what they say about not playing the ui) But i really dont want boss timers etc, for me it ruins the game and i am glad that wont be there

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    I could log on any of my mmos, turn off my add ons, take a picture while standing around and say, hey guys look how great my ui is, but when it boils down to it, when you get fighting the buffs/debuffs are impossible to keep track of, the particle affects although not relating to ui do add to screen clutter that was mentioned during the same section . Its also missing the health bar of the mob your fighting, and I dont know if you ever tried to keep track of debuffs on a mob but its near impossible in a group. The UI may be cleaner because we dont have add ons but at the same time I dont agree that its better. The picture may not be a 'lie' thats the wront term but it is just picking and chosing to make it look clean when its not when you actually want to use it.
    Keeping debuffs on a target isn't an exact science in this game; generally when I look at an enemies debuffs all I look at is the stack and possibly the duration (White Ring around the Debuff icon), I've pretty much learned what every debuff looks like because of it's streamlined nature and I really only care about debuffs I can apply because that's really all I can effect. An enemy usually only has maybe 3 or 4 buffs on him at a time, and it's not hard to know that the star burst is fury (20% crit stacking duration) and the sword is might (30 I think extra power per stack). It's not like in WoW where there are 60 different kinds of dots that all behave differently and have different effects. I can tell what the debuff/buff does at a glance in GW2.

In PvE, the enemies that have telegraphed attacks are usually really big and it's pretty difficult to not see them even if 100 players are attack him at the same time. Normal sized enemies it can be a little bit tougher, but rarely could I not see a target at all to the point where I couldn't see anything he was doing (namely facing me or throwing projectiles at my face) and the red rings on the ground aren't easy to miss.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

This was asked quite alot in the official forum. Not only add ons but also Customizable UI.

They replied that they have no intention (possibly never) to let add ons, and as of now customizable UI is not a priority, not only because they think that the UI is pretty clean and they would like to stay that way, but because the way it's built in (the code) doesn't allow much space to customizing it.

Now, to be honest I don't see (for now) a need to customize the UI simply because it provides everything I need and I never felt cluttered with info (besides when I didn't know what the info was the first hours of BWE1). As for addons I really hope not to see ever in the game. I think it's amazing how you can do it on WoW but I also think that it comes with a huge down side, people start thinking they need that feature implemented in the game (and sometimes they need) only to be more enjoyable, which imo kills a chunk of the game.

The only bit of UI customization I felt I needed from the BWE's was a bit more of an ability to move/resize some things. I just dont feel the need for the bajillion and one addons I ran for WoW because the information I need is already displayed in an easy to read format. Oh and the guy that wanted silver dragons, for all thats good and holy get some help dude Those silver grifons/dragons or whatever they were were the first thing I couldnt get rid of fast enough in my last MMO.

Who is John Galt?

No Threat Table = No Need for Omen or Threat addon

No Consistent DPS due to dodging attacks / randomized threat = No Recount or DPS Meters

No Tanks or Healers = No Need for Healing or Damage received meters.

None Scirpted Boss fights = No need for DBZ Deadly Boss addons

Built in Bag sorter / bag compactor = No need for Bagnon

No Quests Logs = No Need for Monkey Helper / quest helper addons

No Direct target healing = No need for Grid or Healbot

Auction house is accessable any wheres through your menu = no need for auctioneer addon

Theres really no need for addons, In Guildwars 2

Quote Originally Posted by Merendel View Post
    Those silver grifons/dragons or whatever they were were the first thing I couldnt get rid of fast enough in my last MMO.

The moment I notice any kind of fluff around my bars in any game, I run off to google to find out how to remove it. I cannot stand stupid dragons doing nothing, but taking up space on my screen.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    No there won't be add-ons since there is no API to support it so it's not possible.
    It's the one and only thing I don't like. RP add-on's would be wonderful to have, to write descriptions and to help recognize other roleplayers.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellspawnx View Post
    No Threat Table = No Need for Omen or Threat addon

No Consistent DPS due to dodging attacks / randomized threat = No Recount or DPS Meters

No Tanks or Healers = No Need for Healing or Damage received meters.

None Scirpted Boss fights = No need for DBZ Deadly Boss addons

Built in Bag sorter / bag compactor = No need for Bagnon

No Quests Logs = No Need for Monkey Helper / quest helper addons

No Direct target healing = No need for Grid or Healbot

Auction house is accessable any wheres through your menu = no need for auctioneer addon

Theres really no need for addons, In Guildwars 2
    Curse lists over 5000 addons for WoW. This hardly covers it all. There are lots of things that people would like to tweak in their UI to personalize the game to their own tastes. It's not about things that are "needed" or things that actually affect gameplay, but items that would make each person's experience a little more convenient.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Grugmuc View Post
    There's really no need for Add-Ons in Guild Wars 2.
    No game needs it, it adds an aditional feature...not understood why people don't like addons, it gives close to no advantage over people who don't use it. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    No game needs it, it adds an aditional feature...not understood why people don't like addons, it gives close to no advantage over people who don't use it. :P
    Yes, but people get really defensive when someone points out something about their game as a downfall or a flaw. Having addons would be a wonderful addition (this coming from someone who doesn't really use them) and it's a shame they're not in.
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavlovich View Post
    Curse lists over 5000 addons for WoW. This hardly covers it all. There are lots of things that people would like to tweak in their UI to personalize the game to their own tastes. It's not about things that are "needed" or things that actually affect gameplay, but items that would make each person's experience a little more convenient.
    What he's listed is addons that can be almost considered mandatory for games like WoW (apart from Auctioneer, arguably).
    I may pay my subscription every month, but I don't lose sight of the fact that the other 4/9/24/39 people I'm grouped with pay too.