Page 13 of 37 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstorm View Post
    With no care about gear, and the driving point being fun, I don't see why I would enjoy finding the easiest way to get over the mountain, when the mountain is what I want to climb, not the top. In fact, some people might go ahead and find the collection of professions that would make for the hardest climb.
    Yeah some might but thats not just in GW2 people are always trying different things, take the naked levelling in WoW or the guy who used only blue gear on inferno it happens everywhere, GW2 is not special in having players who want to break from the norm.

---------- Post added 2012-08-05 at 03:22 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Dodrin View Post
    When you start taking "cookie cutter" builds over the player, you prove yourself to be a fool.

Guess what? That person with the obscure spec you wouldn't ever use may preform far better than another random who went online for 30 seconds and copied the first link they saw.

Your mindset is flawed, you refuse to recognize it because you've never tried someone based on their merits.
    not true i tried to convince my fried to go feral but she wanted to play boomkin, she still plays boomkin and very well, you see there are people who dont always conform in every game not just GW2

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodrin View Post
    When you start taking "cookie cutter" builds over the player, you prove yourself to be a fool.

Guess what? That person with the obscure spec you wouldn't ever use may preform far better than another random who went online for 30 seconds and copied the first link they saw.

Your mindset is flawed, you refuse to recognize it because you've never tried someone based on their merits.
    shadowfrost dks were better than unholy dks

regardless of age, intellect, gender, birth-right.

Deleted
    I wasnt really going to buy this Game...but the current Void in Term on Videogames took over :/

Dare you people if it sucks!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Knopperz View Post
    I wasnt really going to buy this Game...but the current Void in Term on Videogames took over :/

Dare you people if it sucks!
    It doesnt so double dare...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Ill take that bet, theres that myth again, the GW2 community will be so far above those of other mmos, dont come to our game with your cookie cutter builds and your OP classes we are far above those selfish and horrid notions....
    hey, nice with the whole passive agressive attack on the GW2 community there....

But to answer your point, I dont have a problem with cookie cutter builds in games where that makes sense (wow, swtor, to some extent rift). But GW2 is not one of those games. I'm not saying its better or worse, but in order to be able to come up wiht cookie cutter specs you need to be able to math out specs, you cant in GW2, because there is no rotation, and abilities are situational and should be used reactively not on cd to get the best effect.

Also, how do you plan to balance survival against control against dmg? or how do you plan to weigh the utility skill such as wall of reflection? I really would be interested to know, I've done a fair amount of theory crafting when I played wow, and having played GW2 I just dont see how it can be realistically done. Yes you can do it on paper, but that all falls apart the second you hit the live game as there is no place for static rotations.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Plzbegentle View Post
    Seriously guys .....
    <<bull's charge frenzy hundred blades warrior in pvp ?>> = For the love of god , some utility skills remove stun+ while u doghe u avoid all the damage !
    <<3 elementalist in PvE ?>> = have u consider for a sec , that Regeneration doesnt multistack , and the same apply to the elementalist place-on-the-ground-healing . Or some aoe-ground-healing have 6-10 yards range , while u have to constadly move ?
    Sir! Can I gently kiss you on the Forehead for those Words ... my Ingi loves them helpless cute HB Warris <3

GW2 is just more group based... i think it will be really hard pugging explorable modes, without changing some skills,... and playing together like a group... but I also think, IF you play as a group it's a hell-of-a-fun ...

Also I had to experience ... that even events are quite fun, I had the same event with a small group, and it was fun, and later there were a lot of people and it was still fun...

i always want to help people when they fight adds,... here noone is pissed about "taking adds" or something... everyone just fights for the same team, wether you're in a group or not ... i like this ...
    Last edited by mmoc51e960453b; 2012-08-05 at 02:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cranberries View Post
    cookie cutter builds arent about 'strongest', they're builds that do something that no other build does and because of it, the build has an advantage over any other build:
    That is not really the way I've always understood the term. Cookie cutter builds occur where everyone uses the same build (like a batch of cookies cut using the same form) because there are no benefits to variation. Cookie cutter builds tend to have wide applicability with little reason to deviate from them.

HARP, SLSL, Shadowfrost are a few examples of cookie cutter builds in WoW that existed simply cuz they were builds that did stuff no other build could. HARP - 30 seconds of AR w/ 1 sec GCDs, SLSL: unmatched survivability without losing DPS, Shadowfrost ... Retarded.
    These would be specialized builds, not cookie-cutter builds. SL/SL for example, while very survivable, had no burst potential.

Just to be clear, I'm not arguing that such builds don't exist, it's just that the unusual use of the terminology has me surprised.

Also, how have we suddenly switched to PvP? I was under the impression we were talking about PvE. WoW has/had cookie-cutter builds in PvE because of a confluence of reasons: (1) Talents being largely a numbers game, since practically all bosses are immune to status effects, (2) few talent choices that made an actual difference, and (3) difficulty to change builds.

Seriously guys .....
    <<bull's charge frenzy hundred blades warrior in pvp ?>> = For the love of god , some utility skills remove stun+ while u doghe u avoid all the damage !
    <<3 elementalist in PvE ?>> = have u consider for a sec , that Regeneration doesnt multistack , and the same apply to the elementalist place-on-the-ground-healing . Or some aoe-ground-healing have 6-10 yards range , while u have to constadly move ?
    Bull's charge isn't stun. Regeneration stacks duration, meaning it's great to stack it. If it stacked intensity it would be a significant nerf to elementalist stacking, as bigger ticks would be overhealing.

---------- Post added 2012-08-05 at 03:06 PM ----------

shadowfrost dks were better than unholy dks

regardless of age, intellect, gender, birth-right.
    This is a fairly common misconception. As someone who played DK since they were released, including arena PvP in all brackets at reasonable successful levels, I can vouch that shadowfrost worked in exactly one bracket, and only up to a certain level. In 3s and 5s it was unholy or GTFO due to complete lack of anything to burst with, which was a hard wired requirement in these brackets back in 3.0 and 3.1 (I played in a #2 5s team for a few weeks during early 3.0 as unholy in best EU battlegroup for example). At top levels of 2v2 there was nothing but lock shaman and hunter shaman which were specifically geared to hard counter shadowfrost paladin comp. When you reached that point, you generally either switched to try to do something else, or you just played to your best ability knowing you met the stone wall of hard counter comp land.

Same thing for SL/SL btw. It sacrificed a lot of damage to gain superior survivability. The way to counter SL/SL lock was to abuse this and only presenting him with one target to DoT up in range. Since target damage of SL/SL lock being hacked on by rogue or warrior was life bloomable. The failure came when you presented lock with two targets to DoT up in 2s and 3 targets in 3s (lock was control in 5s more so then damage and had to watch dotting not to cause polymorph failures). I still remember games in 2s in late TBC where we would kill druid's partner and then spend upwards ten minutes killing the enemy druid because my damage from just dots and my druid parner's damage was barely enough to overload his mana regen. Essentially kill were scored by howling him off pillar > fear > root while shadowbolt/starfire nuking.
    Last edited by Lucky_; 2012-08-05 at 03:10 PM.

Deleted
    U should better watch Toldo(enginner in the BW3 or the last test , where he used the rifle kockback himself and his enemies , and used the <<utilities google>> to get back up (he has a description why he choose the googles) .
    About the Elementalist , i mean that u cant benefit from 3 heal-on the ground (damm english) . u wont get get healed x3 in 10 sec

U should better watch Toldo(enginner in the BW3 or the last test , where he used the rifle kockback himself and his enemies , and used the <<utilities google>> to get back up (he has a description why he choose the googles) .
    About the Elementalist , i mean that u cant benefit from 3 heal-on the ground (damm english) . u wont get get healed x3 in 10 sec
    1. No one cares if one guy can dodge it. I'll kill his friend, then 2v1 him. Or miss it, have someone else immobilize him and kill him. It will work regardless. That is why bull's charge frenzy hundred blades warriors are a staple burst damage class you see in almost every decent organised sPvP video from BWE3.
    2. Yes, you will. You will either get separate heals for individual healing from geyser, or your regeneration will stack duration from rain. All of them stack.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_ View Post
    1. No one cares if one guy can dodge it. I'll kill his friend, then 2v1 him. Or miss it, have someone else immobilize him and kill him. It will work regardless. That is why bull's charge frenzy hundred blades warriors are a staple burst damage class you see in almost every decent organised sPvP video from BWE3.
    2. Yes, you will. You will either get separate heals for individual healing from geyser, or your regeneration will stack duration from rain. All of them stack.
    ah the fallacy of assuming that YOUR hypothetical situation is correct and ignores that mine is equally valid. In mine I hammer punt you back wards, bit you with an immobilisation, ring of warding your team mate, switch to greatsword charge you and pwn your face before switching back to hammer just in time to punt your friend away so I can get a finisher off on you before walking over to pwn him too......

Or maybe my mesmer friend comes up and we load you up with conditions after I punt you out of the heals

or maybe .....
    or then again.....

we can all come up with hyperthetical situations to "prove" our point....but we all look pretty silly assuming they mean anything.

Deleted
    if it was a serious attempt to convince me to play gw2, it didnt work.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharlok View Post
    if it was a serious attempt to convince me to play gw2, it didnt work.
    Lol then don't play? I personally thought they were joking when they mentioned the quaggon... But everything else I'm pretty sure is serious.
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Deleted
    1) With a full toughtness set , all the warriors i met , <<burned>> only 1/3 of my hp with that combo (and 0% - when i saw the frenzy animation , avoiding the charge . So its my friend problem building his character as a glass cannon , or he cant see the enviroment
    2) If u have a video where u can u can get x3 heals from 3 different geyser i would be very happy . I dont have any visible proofs , But my BG where always 3 of Elementalist(stacked-together) , that tried to heal each other , but they failed every time

All classes , bring burn-bleed-comfution etc , but the duration is increased when multiply ppl attack a target , not the damage . Like regeneration

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    If you weren't so busy being cranky, you might realize that he has a point.

When it starts to get into the minds of the community that certain group makeups are "good" and others are "bad", then you start running into the same issue that the holy trinity brought. Guardians are in high demand while...I dunno, I'll just say thieves (for no real reason) I guess...are shunned from groups. I don't want to see another FFXI situation when anyone that wasn't a WHM/RDM/Tank was stuck sitting around all day praying a group spot opened up.

And yes, if you have one build for a class that's simply much better (or accepted as better, even if it isn't) then it starts to defeat the purpose of a character building system altogether.

Yes, I know these are social issues and not game system issues, but to angrily deny they'd exist at all seems silly.
    And if you weren't so angry, you'd see that I'm not denying the issue existing. I'm simply pointing out that it's a player's own choice to gimp himself by being "creative". As someone pointed in this thread, he can walk instead of driving by his own choice. I don't mind at all. However when a person who chooses to walk starts to complain about other people choosing to drive as unfair to him, that's where my tolerance ends. It ends because this person is trying to extend his vision of fun to cover me by force in spite of him knowing that I do not share his view, while I make a point not to extend my version of fun on him as to not ruin his fun. I'm perfectly fine with him doing whatever he wants. But I reserve the right to do the same and demand the same courtesy from him that I extend to him.

The only problem in our situation is with the other person wanting to force me and other people like me to walk with him because he chooses not to drive but he wants to travel with us. That is simply unfair, and I'm calling it as such. Do whatever you want for yourself, and assemble a team of like minded people who enjoy walks. But extend me the same courtesy I extend to you and don't you dare to demand that I do unfun things just so that you can get your fun. I have just as much right not to do it as you have a right to refuse to do it my way.

10+ Year Old Account
    still not impressed

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    This was posted on their Facebook:
    To the OP:

Do you know how to communicate in English?

Or are you only capable of throwing meaningless and vague buzz words, while speaking in generalities.

Can we get straight talk and precise language please.

What the hell do the following phrases mean?
    "Cross-profession combos are as easy to create as they are are dangerous"
    "then do it again in a completely different way"
    "Because you can see how the other half… er, fifth… lives"
    "Because everyone loves a big finish"
    "Because it’s so much more than swinging a sword."

You should be sent back to repeat high school English, to be schooled in effective, clear and articulate writing.

Absolutely no reason for this rudeness. -- Blood

Yes, there is a reason. Real people do not speak and write like this. This is PR-speak written by PR drones, consisting of a bunch of ambiguous and meaningless phrases, made up of buzz words. English teachers are rolling in their graves at this abomination of language.

To not criticize this is to tacitly accept the butchering of the English language and the art of communication.
    Last edited by paralleluniverse; 2012-08-05 at 04:41 PM.

1) With a full toughtness set , all the warriors i met , <<burned>> only 1/3 of my hp with that combo (and 0% - when i saw the frenzy animation , avoiding the charge . So its my friend problem building his character as a glass cannon
    2) If u have a video where u can u can get x3 heals from 3 different geyser i would be very happy . I dont have any visible proofs , But my BG where always 3 of Elementalist(stacked-together) , that tried to heal each other , but they failed every time

All classes , bring burn-bleed-comfution etc , but the duration is increased when multiply ppl attack a target , not the damage
    1. That's nice. I love toughness specced people myself. Perfect /ignore material until everyone else is dead. As noted above, I'll kill all your friends while you're tickling me. I'll even promise to /giggle every once in a while to give you illusion of actually doing something worthwhile.
    2. I have no idea what kind of proof you actually want, or why I should feel compelled to go google searching when you yourself appear uncaring enough about the issue not to research it yourself or believe those who actually played the class extensively. I'm telling you here and now how that works from personal experience of actually doing it. You can choose to think me a liar or believe me.

---------- Post added 2012-08-05 at 03:35 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by paralleluniverse View Post
    To the OP:

Do you know how to communicate in English?

Or are you only capable of throwing meaningless and vague buzz words, while speaking in generalities.

Can we get straight talk and precise language please.

What the hell does the following phrases mean?
    "Cross-profession combos are as easy to create as they are are dangerous"
    "then do it again in a completely different way"
    "Because you can see how the other half… er, fifth… lives"
    "Because everyone loves a big finish"
    "Because it’s so much more than swinging a sword."

You should be sent back to repeat high school English, to be school in effective, clear and articulate writing.

The entire purpose of this thread was to discuss the PR release. You can expect all those things from a PR release and I think your linguistic feedback should be oriented towards PR folks at arenanet rather then OP.

---------- Post added 2012-08-05 at 03:38 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by tlacoatl View Post
    ah the fallacy of assuming that YOUR hypothetical situation is correct and ignores that mine is equally valid. In mine I hammer punt you back wards, bit you with an immobilisation, ring of warding your team mate, switch to greatsword charge you and pwn your face before switching back to hammer just in time to punt your friend away so I can get a finisher off on you before walking over to pwn him too......

Or maybe my mesmer friend comes up and we load you up with conditions after I punt you out of the heals

or maybe .....
    or then again.....

we can all come up with hyperthetical situations to "prove" our point....but we all look pretty silly assuming they mean anything.
    Correct. But certain things are proven to work and work well, such as aforementioned bull's charge frenzy hundred blades warrior. There are surely many other things that work too. But if they ever come to work anywhere near as well, they'll become cookie cutters themselves.

So yes, you certainly have a point in that there are viable builds out there other then those that are cookie cutter. What you refuse to see is the natural continuation of your argument, that when these builds become just as effective... they'll become cookie cutters themselves.

So you draw the proverbial argument "battle", and manage to argue against yourself in the actual "cookie cutter" related larger "war".

Deleted
    2) And i tell u from my personla experience , it doesnt work . How many times have u see ppl whinning about the healing abilities of Elementalist in PvP ? Or have u seen any1 whinning about <<FU arenanet , i just met a team full of Elementalists+ Guardians healing each other , and they didnt die>>
    1) Again , choose 1 utility spell like mist form-stun breaker - or elixir S to reduce the damage of warriors hundred blades .
    Last edited by mmocd9c65c8d53; 2012-08-05 at 03:42 PM.

I wasn't aware it was written by ANet's PR staff, instead of the OP.

This has got to be the most convoluted, meaningless, buzz word-laden piece of shit I've ever read.

ANet should fire these people immediately and send them a book on how to communicate in English -- on how people really write and speak, not this PR-speak bullshit.

Their PR department should hang their heads in shame.
    Last edited by paralleluniverse; 2012-08-05 at 03:42 PM.