Page 26 of 37 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodrin View Post
    Competition is completely natural in all games. It's not put in there because they want to blind you when you aren't having fun, competition-is- fun for most people.

I mean if you can play Zelda: OoT competitively, then you can play anything.
    I'm sorry, let me rephrase. The current competitive PvE trend, aka the World first achievements and such set by developers. I love competition, and love winning, especially amongst my friends. I just don't care for world firsts or in getting full sets of heroic gear when I already have the full normal tier gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Eeerrrmm. That is not true at all.
    So it'd be just as fun regardless of world firsts for competitive PvE players, in terms of WoW raiding and leveling?
    It has to be true in some sense.

Maybe I lost the main argument for whomever started the "there is no competitive PvE". Wasn't it something like without raids and guilds competing with DPS and for world firsts and the like, there is no "real" competitive PvE? Is that the whole point?
    Last edited by WorldofWorkcraft; 2012-08-07 at 06:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WorldofWorkcraft View Post
    So it'd be just as fun regardless of world firsts for competitive PvE players, in terms of WoW raiding and leveling?
    It has to be true in some sense.
    I am certain it would without the WoW reinforcement of those activities. Because ya'know, in the the MMOs before WoW where competitive PVE first took root there were no WORLD/SERVER FIRST banners on the screen, in-game achievement tracking and so on.

Yet the pre-WoW PVE Competitive scene in games such as DAOC, EQ and so on were highly cutthroat and combative.

What was awesome was how WoW & Warhammer [believe it or not] tapped into that communal desire to compete in often very challenging content that required a high amount of logistics and time commitment.

But as a thing? Competitive PVE does not begin or end in World of Warcraft to any degree. Nor was Competitive PVE the result of developers "realized their content wasn't as fun as it should be".

I understand you have an opinion. And that's awesome, I love to hear it. Though you are claiming some things that are like, factually untrue.

Quote Originally Posted by Zalavaaris View Post
    See, the MMO market is evolving with GW2 and most of the player base will not evolve with it. Being stuck doing the same sheep dailies and the same sheep bosses. I love raiding in WoW and while im not in a world first guild I am in a guild going for server firsts. That is how I view competitive pve in wow terms, however, im also going to play GW2 because its worth every damn penny due to the amount of content you get for an initial cost. People cant just play games for fun anymore which is why many people just wont understand the games direction. Luckily for them MOP is coming out a month later so they can go back to their grinding and repetitive boss kills, and I will see them there.
    I think it's a bit rude and not neccessarily fair to call everyone who enjoys competitive pve a "sheep" or "unevolved".

And yes, some people actually get enjoyment out of playing competitively, be it soccer, darts, chess, WoW or something completely different.

So how do you play competitively in pve? I suppose I can see something like the challenge missions in GW where they had leader boards and all but that is about it that I can see.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    So how do you play competitively in pve? I suppose I can see something like the challenge missions in GW where they had leader boards and all but that is about it that I can see.
    Within the context of GW2? I am not sure that is even necessary, though leaderboards would be obvious.

Seems kind of irrational to expect all games to be alike, however. I understand some players enjoy raiding or playing a tank-- heck, I do. But transposing that to every other game or MMO seems rather... dull. Subjective, natch.

It's okay for stuff to be different, to have different goals, etc, etc.

Within the context of GW2? I am not sure that is even necessary, though leaderboards would be obvious.

Seems kind of irrational to expect all games to be alike, however. I understand some players enjoy raiding or playing a tank-- heck, I do. But transposing that to every other game or MMO seems rather... dull. Subjective, natch.

It's okay for stuff to be different, to have different goals, etc, etc.
    I understand the differences and I agree with you about that. I just don't see or understand competitive pve, in any game.

I am certain it would without the WoW reinforcement of those activities. Because ya'know, in the the MMOs before WoW where competitive PVE first took root there were no WORLD/SERVER FIRST banners on the screen, in-game achievement tracking and so on.

Yet the pre-WoW PVE Competitive scene in games such as DAOC, EQ and so on were highly cutthroat and combative.

What was awesome was how WoW & Warhammer [believe it or not] tapped into that communal desire to compete in often very challenging content that required a high amount of logistics and time commitment.

But as a thing? Competitive PVE does not begin or end in World of Warcraft to any degree. Nor was Competitive PVE the result of developers "realized their content wasn't as fun as it should be".

I understand you have an opinion. And that's awesome, I love to hear it. Though you are claiming some things that are like, factually untrue.
    You're right. It was fun back then because people made it fun and cutthroat. I guess my specifics are off regarding what I address. By adding their achievements, they broadened the spectrum of people looking for/at that, and normalized it. I haven't been around as long as the EQ era. I didn't mean to claim WoW or any current MMO and their "world first" achievement was the premise for everyone's competitive PvE nature. I think what I'm trying to say (I can't even remember anymore) was with this implementation, they make people focus on it more than it should be focused on, and that carries over in a negative way. What it has become seems less interesting than what it was, though I can't claim that.

Though, I still fail to remember the main point of the competitive PvE thing that started this. Was it something about endgame not being there again? xD

I didn't know we could define competitive PvE in a sense only relating to World Firsts, Top DPS, etc. I never thought of it that way because I was never into it enough to care. Oh well. I'm lost.

Anyway, in a game that really pushes working together and helping one another, competing for whatever in the world would be completely out of place. The idea of competitive PvE makes no sense to me. PvP is more fun. Fact. Objective. *cough* The only "competitive PvE" I want to see is who is left alive to complete the dungeons in WvW, hehe.
    Last edited by WorldofWorkcraft; 2012-08-07 at 06:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    I understand the differences and I agree with you about that. I just don't see or understand competitive pve, in any game.
    Ah, I didn't pick up you were speaking in a more general sense.

Well, let me ask you. What is the difference in competitive spirit in PVE environments than PVP?

In PVE, we often form a specific team [let's call them guilds]. We often have a certain goal(s) in mind which are above the capacity of most other players. We also have a set of measurable data for those goals- completion time, damage, disables, threat actual and so on.

Which rather importantly can be shared and compared to other teams [guilds] attempting the same set of feats.

In a serious PVP environment the only difference would truly be, AI vs Player.

---------- Post added 2012-08-07 at 01:37 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by WorldofWorkcraft View Post
    You're right. It was fun back then because people made it fun and cutthroat. I guess my specifics are off regarding what I address. By adding their achievements, they broadened the spectrum of people looking for/at that, and normalized it.
    Oh I agree on that fully. In fact, I have quite a few things to say about how that normalization of what is a fringe concept hurt the genre as a whole.

I don't think it was a good thing to push MMOs in that direction wholly. We got worse games, poor player expectation and what is a true stagnation of the genre.

If you have been around as long as the EQ era, then I will assume you remember when MMOs came in more than just one rigid structure. Stab toes, stack here, now jump and spin twice.. ZzzzZZZzz

10+ Year Old Account
    i dont rly care about competitive pve,but i must ask why do ppl are so worried about it not being so highlighted in GW2,GW1 was mainly PVP oriented and GW2 will proly lean more but im not saying theres no PVE in them.I played WoW from the beginning and still do,and i never rly had an urge for world firsts or realm firsts etc but hey thats me...but what happened with ppl playing the game for the game it self like back in the days with their friends from fun,and the gaming expirience,when everything wasnt so focused on rankings,these days ppl just rush trough the content and lvling without caring for the game so they can be "competitive" i dont see the fun in that rly and i like that GW2 is paced as it is leting u to play @ ur own desire and not focusing hardly on PVE leting u explore and goof around

Oh I agree on that fully. In fact, I have quite a few things to say about how that normalization of what is a fringe concept hurt the genre as a whole.

I don't think it was a good thing to push MMOs in that direction wholly. We got worse games, poor player expectation and what is a true stagnation of the genre.

If you have been around as long as the EQ era, then I will assume you remember when MMOs came in more than just one rigid structure. Stab toes, stack here, now jump and spin twice.. ZzzzZZZzz
    Hey when did you become a Mod? Congrats xD

My friend, when we talk about MMOs on the rare occasion, always brings up UO. He says it was so ridiculous and fun that when you died, you lost all your stuff, and how anyone could loot anything when it was killed regardless of who it was killed by. Granted, it was the only one he played, but you just won't find stuff like that anymore; at least...not mainstream. I played a 2D side-scroller called Odyssey Online [Classic] a long time ago. That was probably my first brush with online gaming...good times.

WoW is fun, and was fun, and will still be fun for what it is. I'm hoping GW2 gives a new sense of fun and achievement and accomplishment that reinvigorates that feeling of a new game (which it should, as it is new).

10+ Year Old Account
    I still think the PvE in this game can be plenty competitive, just in different ways, and it won't be nearly as cutthroat or serious.

The problem with competitive PvE is that it can quite quickly create a divide in the PvE side of the playerbase. You see it happen in WoW and other similar games, with hardcore vs casual, all the time. Between people who want to be at the cutting edge of skill, and those who simply are just enjoying the content and don't want to push themselves to the point where it feels like work.
    At least PvP comes with competition built-in, and if they want to make it into e-sport material, it's going to require that competitive nature.

The way I see it, "competitive" is another word for pitting yourself against other players/people. Which then makes sense as to why ANet wants to keep that kind of play in the PvP side of the game.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-08-07 at 07:13 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Deleted
    Only competitive thing I can see.. is a battle about who looks the most awesome :3 Or who gets that legendary first..
    Not so much about dungeons and such because of their random nature. IMO. "Competitive" can be anything the player feels the need to compete in, might not be a race or anything for everyone but some might have their own competition going on, while you have your own, that's the way I see it

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll definitely play GW2 and enjoy it, but there's really no substitute for raiding in WoW (imo).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by yoomi View Post
    Only competitive thing I can see.. is a battle about who looks the most awesome :3 Or who gets that legendary first..
    Not so much about dungeons and such because of their random nature. IMO. "Competitive" can be anything the player feels the need to compete in, might not be a race or anything for everyone but some might have their own competition going on, while you have your own, that's the way I see it
    Pretty sure people could get competitive about running the dungeons or completing EDEs faster than everybody else.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
    I'll definitely play GW2 and enjoy it, but there's really no substitute for raiding in WoW (imo).
    And why is that, do you think?

I genuinely curious about this. I've raided in WoW since BC, and the biggest enjoyment I get out of raiding is the sense of accomplishment. Having said that, the sense of accomplishment I felt was far greater in some of the BC heroics than in any of the Cataclysm raids. Difficulty of content is not inherently dictated by the size of the group required to take it on, that's a deliberate design decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
    This is exactly why I'm looking forward to GW2.

Having a feeling of completion without the stress of raiding in a high end guild anymore is exactly what I'm looking forward to.

I can't raid 5 days a week or even 2 days a week on farm content anymore. I've already got a job, I don't need a second one that doesn't even pay me. And that's essentially what raiding is. You pay a company to be somewhere with 24 other people at the same time, on the same days and if you call in sick you get replaced.

Screw that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Who said GW2 is even trying to create a substitute for raiding?

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Who said GW2 is even trying to create a substitute for raiding?
    They aren't but for someone reason that answer is not acceptable to some people.

Well, also consider sometimes folks are simply saying; "Hey, I like raiding/healing/mounts/dailies/whatever."

They may not necessarily be saying GW2 must have those things. Only that they enjoy them and might look elsewhere. Yea, sometimes folks do come here to say, "no raidz? fail!!!!lol"

Ignore that tripe.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Pretty sure people could get competitive about running the dungeons or completing EDEs faster than everybody else.
    Then those players will find that as a competition among those who find that thing competitive :P Which was my point. Who knows it can be good for community, to find something they are interested in, enjoy and have a strong passion for. Think about all the themed guilds or communities that can evolve out of it, of something a group of like minded people find interesting or fun. It might just not appeal to everyone. But at least the the possibilities are there, which I very much appreciate