Page 1 of 49
... LastLast

RAF Monk Level Granting - The Guide

RAF Monk Level Granting – The Guide

Level Granting Checklist

Alright so 1 week from MoP! I've decided I would share my checklist with the world for what (I feel is) the best way to grant all of those levels to your Monk. Even if you don't like my checklist, I encourage you to make one! It's very important! You don't want to mess anything up! Please feel free to adapt this to your own needs, this isn't actually what mine looks like, it's a little more generalized so people can use it as a rubric. This is just a check list to get everything in order to get you leveled and into proper leveling. I didn't include any instance group stuff, if you're planning a group, just adapt it slightly. Everything in brackets is just notes and explanations of why I do things.

__Log onto first RAF toon before 12:00 to hopefully stay logged on.
    __Log on to Veteran account before 12:00 to hopefully not have to relog. (GC I think has tweeted that he hopes reclogging won’t be necessary to access the new expansion stuff this time).
    __Delete Name Placeholder. (Supposedly your name is saved for 30 days so you can do this now)
    __Create Monk
    __Log on to bank toon.
    __Send bags, gear, gold, enchant scrolls, potions, flasks, etc. (Not necessarily professions yet)
    __Log on to Monk.
    __Check mail, get at least the bags and the heirlooms (don’t necessarily equip the heirlooms yet).
    __Get to 399/400 with some variations in race (I’m doing undead, so equip a 10% Heirloom and kill 7 level 2 mobs pretty easily).
    __Group up with the RAF toon. Grant as high as possible. (I believe you need to be in a Party to grant levels)
    __Relog to the next RAF toon, group up, Grant as high as possible.
    __Monk should be 41+ now.
    __Relog the next RAF toon. Summon to Org/SW flight master. Grant levels to 80.99.
    __Invite to guild. Learn max flying (or as high as you’re going to go).
    __Set Hearthstone to Org/SW.
    __Equip as much gear as possible, at least the heirlooms (should have guild +10%, cap +10%, back + 5% so 25% extra experience).
    __Set up bars -abilities/mounts/flasks/food/potions/macro’s etc.
    __Learn at least the level 1 of professions you plan on using (can still get profession recipe drops if you have the profession, even at level 1 hopefully).
    __Level professions if you are going to.
    __Do introduction to Hyjal or Vash quests. Should ding 81.
    __Equip remaining gear if needed.
    __Do the first few quests in either zone to get past the crappy time-consuming dialogue-filled starter quests.
    __Zen Pilgrimage (Abilities automatically now. No reason to see a trainer).
    __Learn Dual Spec from the trainer there.
    __Do the first quest, repeat the first quest as the Daily. (Note the first time you do the quest an NPC will walk around talking. You don’t have to listen to him, you can just run to the Master and finish the quest).
    __Use/Equip Flask of the Winds, Adventurer’s Journal, Potion of Treasure Finding, Food Buff/Anything I’m forgetting.
    __Zen Pilgrimage back.
    __Quest like Hell.

I don’t understand Recruit a Friend Level Granting, How does it work!?

RAF is really easy to understand but really hard to explain. The Friend Account can ONLY grant to the Veteran Account, the Veteran Account CANNOT grant to the Friend Account.

How the level granting works is that the Friend Account can grant 1 level for every 2 they earn to the Veteran Account. The only exceptions to this rule is that you gain your first grantable level at level 2, which is only 1 level earned from level 1. After level 2, you gain a grantable level at every even number (4, 6, 8, etc.). The other exception is that you gain your last grantable level at 78 (which is 39 levels) BUT you STILL need to level to 80 because a level 78 character cannot grant higher than 78. Don't just quit leveling because you ran out of an extra level to grant.

Also note that if you decide to go a route that is 80-41-40 or 80-41-20-20 or anything similar to that, you need at LEAST one level 41 to grant to level 41. Because a level 40 can ONLY grant to level 40, which means a level 89 can ONLY grant 39 levels to a maximum of 79. So if you don't want to have to level completely from 80-81, level at LEAST one toon to 80 and at LEAST one toon to 41

For a complete explanation of Refer A Friend (officially called Recruit A Friend) see: http://us.battle.net/support/en/arti...t-a-friend-faq

Alright that makes sense. But how do we know how high of levels we need to grant a Monk to 80?!

So the way level granting works is that the friend can ONLY grant levels to Veteran characters that are LOWER levels than the friend. So a level 30 CANNOT grant ANY levels to ANY character above level 30. So when you go to grant your Veteran account some levels, make sure to start with the LOWEST LEVEL FRIEND TOON FIRST and work your way up. This also means that you need at LEAST 1 level 80 and level 41 character (see the bold red Note earlier in this post for an explanation) on the friend account.
    Let’s go over the popular variations of granting 80 levels. I said earlier that the friend account can grant 2 levels for every 1 earned. So lets just say:
    FriendLevel -1 / 2 = Grantable Levels.
    21 -1 = 20. 20/2 = 10. 10 Grantable levels. Easy enough right?

By “popular variations” I mean combinations for getting 79 total grantable levels (you start at level 1, so you only need 79 levels to grant). You could do:
    2 level 80s (39 + 39 = 78). And at least a level 3 (to grant one more level). Some people just like to do this, but that 70-80 leveling push takes roughly 10-15 hours. It’s MUCH faster to do:
    1 level 80 (39 levels) 2 level 41’s (20 and 20) which gives you 79 grantable levels, perfect, as you start out from level 1.
    Or 1 level 80 (39 levels) 1 level 41’s (20 levels) and 2 level 20’s (10 and 10) gives another 79 grantable levels.

More or less, you can use WHATEVER variation you want as long as you get to 79 grantable levels. Remember though that you need at LEAST one level 80 friend character though. If you have any questions about what combinations would work, feel free to post on the this thread and someone will help you with your math.

Materials Needed:

-“Veteran” WoW account (The account you plan to have the Monk on)
    -“Friend” WoW account
    You NEED both the WoW Battlechest AND Wrath to get to level 80
    (Best Buy, Gamestop, and various other companies currently have BOTH of these on sale for $5 a piece! I would recommend a physical copy, while a digital copy will work, it could be up to 3 days before you can trade anything to that account, and they will need gold for abilities!) ----- These deals are apparently over. It will cost $40 minimum to do RAF.
    -Note that if you DON’T want to pay for at least one month of subscription on the Friend account, DON’T ACTIVATE THE ACCOUNTS YET! You only get 30 days of free time! I would recommend buying 2 months anyway, because you will get the 2 person mount, and it will pay for one month on your veteran account’s play time anyway.
    -A friend to play the “Friend” account OR dualboxing/key passing software.

What do I do first?!

First you need to your recruit your friend, or yourself. Go to www.battle.net and sign into your account.
    Click on Manage My Games
    Click on the game that will have the Monk.
    Click on Referrals and Rewards near the bottom of the page.
    Click on Recruit a Friend
    Type something in for Friend’s Name (Not terribly important, just call them Bob or something)
    Friends email (If it is an actual friend, put in their email. If it is yourself, put in your email.)
    Hit send invitation!
    IF YOU ARE SENDING IT TO A FRIEND, LOG OUT OF YOUR BATTLE.NET ACCOUNT NOW!!!
    Check said mail. In the email it will have you click a link that will direct you to battle.net again.
    If you are logged in with your own battle.net account it will automatically add the game to your profile!
    If you are not logged in, either log in with YOUR account to get it connected back to YOUR own account, or have a friend log in with theirs, or create them one.
    Congratulations, you have now Recruited A Friend!

Okay my “Friend” account is officially recruited. Now what?!

Now you and your friend start leveling!

Note that in order to receive triple experience, you must be partied with a character on a linked account and within 100 yards of one another. With this, both characters (veteran and recruit) must be present for each kill and quest completion.
    Also, should monsters or quests be marked as low level or listed as gray in difficulty for either character, triple experience will not apply.
    You must be within four (4) levels of one another and meet all other triple experience requirements in order for both characters to receive the experience boost. For example, your characters can be levels 5 and 9 and earn the bonus, but characters at levels 5 and 10 will not earn it.
    -Copied straight from the battle.net RAF FAQ page.

You and another actual person

If you and an actual friend are leveling, do whatever! Go do quests, go do instances, battlegrounds, you could even just run around and kill stuff and still level quick! Just ALWAYS stay together, if you are questing, do the SAME QUESTS. Try to stay as close to each other in experience as possible. The reason for that is I believe when one character hits 80 it might nullify triple experience for the other, don’t quote me though.
    Battleground weekend wins will definitely be fast leveling, but you need to be sure to stay close to each other, and you will outlevel your gear a LOT so you won’t be able to contribute much. Unless you really know what you are doing, I wouldn’t recommend Battleground’s as a leveling path.
    Instances, especially at lower levels are insanely quick. The very first Random you do will probably boost you from 15 to 19 or even 20, all depending on what you get. I wouldn’t recommend running as a tank or heals though, it will just frustrate everyone because your gear won’t be able to keep up and you will perform poorly. Run as DPS.
    Killing creatures is pretty quick, still questing or instances is probably still quicker.

Dualboxing

Heirloom gear works!

If you have linked your Friend account to your own Battle.net account you can send Heirloom gear to it! So both of the toons you level can have an EXTRA 35% experience on top of the 300%! Yes it stacks!

Software!

I would recommend some dualboxing software like Keyclone or Pwnboxer, Google is your friend here. Some are free and hard to get set up correctly, others cost money and are easy to set up, take your pick. I personally use keyclone and I like it pretty well.

What characters do I choose to level?!

I would recommend running two of the same class preferably range DPS. Such as 2 hunters, 2 mages, 2 priests, 2 warlocks, 2 balance druids, 2 elemental shamans, etc.
    Why 2 of the same class? Simply because all of the cooldowns are exactly the same for each! So when one casts Shadowbolt so does the other, and when one is finished casting Shadowbolt, so is the other!

Macro’s are your friend!

Something I had issues with using dualboxing software is that the key presses don’t always work on both. So I had one macro for /assist otherName and if it didn’t assist on the first click, then it wouldn’t target anything and just sit around not casting. I fixed this by setting all of my ability macro’s to assist focus. Say for example a Warlock:

/assist [@focus]
    /cast Corruption

Put that macro on keybind 1 on the friend account. And put just the spell Corruption on keybind 1 on the Veteran warlock. So whenever you hit the 1 key it will ALWAYS default to /assist focus and and cast Corruption and won’t give you the “no target” error.

/assist [@focus]
    /cast Shadowbolt

/assist [@focus]
    /cast unstable affliction

Etc. etc.

If you want to be REALLY lazy, set up BOTH macro’s like that, and when you get into an instance, set both toons to focus the tank. Then you don’t even need to target stuff! Just hit buttons! If you are killing stuff without a tank, on the Veteran account just focus yourself (so basically you are assisting yourself) and set the focus of the Friend account to the Veteran, and you're golden. Though assisting yourself gets a little fishy at times. Any questions about macro's, just ask!

Best way to level!?

My recommendation for dualbox leveling is just do instances. I didn’t do any quests outside of instances and got to level 60 in 20 hours and from 1-80 in a total of 1 day and 12 hours played. It’s still pretty quick and a lot less frustrating than trying to quest and fly around to each area after outleveling the area so quickly. “aren’t the queue’s bad for DPS though?” really surprisingly the queue’s aren’t but 5-10 minutes for dps at any level I’ve found. So if you want, just go around doing quests in the in between time or killing stuff. Or just do what I did and sit at the class trainer ready to learn all of the new skills after each instance run.

That actually about covers most of it. I will add stuff like FAQs and little notes to everything now. I will update the FAQ's as people ask good questions that most new people would think to ask.

So how do I ACTUALLY grant the levels?

On the friend character target the Veteran Monk (you have to be within range of each other)
    Right click on their name.
    An option should read, “Grant a Level” or something of the sort. Pretty hard to miss.

Ways to get your level 1 character to 99% Experience before Granting by each Race

ANY RACE (Except Pandaren, Goblin, and Worgen of course) Courtesy of Flickflack
    Just wear +10% exp and kill 7 lvl 2 mobs, each will give you 57xp which is 399 at the end.

PANDAREN Courtesy of sakk

Quote Originally Posted by sakk View Post
    To reach level 11.99:
    -know that 11 to 12 requires 7000 exp
    - after healing shien zin stu, the quests will give you 1145 exp ( 850 to speak in the center temple , then you choose the faction, and gain 210 exp speaking to aysa/ji when you reach Orgri/SW , and finally, speaking to Garrosh/King gives you 85 exp )

SO, when you've finished the Shen Zui stu healing quest, and you just have the quest to return at the temple, try to kill mobs to reach 5850 EXP.
    Then : 5850 + 850 +210 + 85 = 6995/7000
    Ig you kill too much monster while questing, just don't finish the - 210 and 85 exp - quest, you will be at SW/Org however

NOTE: " Killing ONLY 5 mobs that was not mobs needed for the quests, so, just the MOBS for quest + 5 more, i reached 92% of the level, so be carefull, and don't overkill lots of mobs that are not needed for the quests"

HORDE

ORC

As an Orc, get the first quest which is 40 experience. Kill enough Mottled Boars to get to 300/400 experience. Then put on a 10% item. Kill one Boar, it'll get you to 355 Experience (50 experience normally, 55 with an extra 10%). Keep the 10% item on and turn in the quest which will give you 44 experience. 399/400 Experience. 99.75%. Best you're going to get.

UNDEAD

If you start out as an Undead, accept the first quest (you can't move until you do) then run down to the mailbox, pick up a 10% heirloom and equip it, run back, turn in the quest, get the next quest, run down the stairs and get the two regeants, turn in that quest. You will be at 99/400 experience. Take off the heirloom, kill 6 level 1 creatures. 399/400 Experience!

TAUREN

You need to be careful with this one. Get the first quest, get a 10% heirloom from the mailbox. Equip it. Walk down the path, turn in the quest. DON'T KILL THE GNOLLS! They are not at full health and will NOT give the right amount of experience. Kill 1 level 1 animal (like a Planestrider) then unequip the heirloom. Kill enough to get to 399/400.

TROLL

Also a little tough. Start out. Accept the first quest. Since you cannot get the 55 experience from exploring the water anymore you can just kill ONE of those level 3 Crabs as the first thing you do when you spawn at the starting point. There should always be around 2-4 crabs nearby with 1-2 lvl3s and the rest lvl2s. A level 3 Crab with no guild or heirlooms is EXACTLY 55 experience just like the water exploring thing was before. Go turn in the quest, you should get 10 experience for discovering that. Then walk to the Southeast of the island to where the mailbox is, discover again for 10 experience. Kill 2 level 2 boars, kill 1 level 1 cat. 399/400. Much too much work for my taste.

BLOOD ELF

So at level 1, a level 1 will give you 50, a level 2 will give you 52, and a level 3 will give you 55.
    If you kill a level 3 with 25% bonus you will get 68.75 (Does Experience round up?) then just keep killing level 3's without any heirlooms, OR kill level 1's with 10% heirlooms and you'll get 398, 399 if that 68.75 rounds up. Be careful not to discover anything!

That's it for Horde, you can't be a Monk with a Goblin, it wouldn't matter anyway, you have to get out of the starting zone I believe to be granted levels anyway.

ALLIANCE

HUMAN Courtesy of Freyalise

Kill three level one mobs with no heirlooms equipped. Total XP 150.
    Kill two of the level one wolves that are engaged with guards. These give 42xp each every time (tried a few dozen anyway). 84 more XP, total 234 XP.
    Equip 10% heirloom. Kill three level one mobs. 165 more XP. Total 399 XP.

I wanted to point out another way of doing the human xp to 399 I have tested several times on beta.

Using no xp bonus Kill 5 x lvl 1 worgs (250xp),1x Worg fighting a guard (42xp){worg must have greater than or equal to 84% hp or you wont get 42xp}, 1 x lvl2 Blackrock spy 52xp and 1 x lvl3 Goblin assassin 55xp = 399xp

the important part is the worgs attacking guards have varying hp which means lower xp the less hp they have =>84% hp or you wont get 42 xp.
    -Courtesy of Diciple

GNOME Courtesy of Mistfit

Accept Quest
    Kill 3 with 10% bonus (1pc BoA, no guild) (55), kill 3 normal (50) and turn in quest with 5% (just cloak) (84) = 399/400!

DWARVES Courtesy of Mistfit

Accept Quest
    Kill 3 lvl 1's with 10% bonus, kill 3 normal and turn in quest with 5% (just cloak) = 399/400

NIGHT ELF Courtesy of Flickflack

Was to lazy to read previous pages , but if you did not already find the "Nightelf-Way" for 399/400 its very easy , just wear +10% ep and kill 7 lvl 2 mobs (the boars or the imp things will do it) each will give you 57xp which is 399 at the end.

DRAENEI Courtesy of Mistfit

Equip 1x BoA 10%, turn in quest, kill 1 lvl 1 with 10% then kill normal ( no bonus) 5 mobs.

FAQ'S

Q: If I get a level 1 to 399/400 (99.75%) How close will I be to level 81 when I grant my Monk to 80?

A: Courtesy of line integral, thanks a lot!
    Quote Originally Posted by line integral View Post
    I just tried this and granted 5 levels to a character with 393/400 XP. The result was:
    lv1 - 393/400; lv2 - 884/900; lv3 - 1375/1400; lv4 - 2062/2100; lv5 - 2749/2800; lv6 - 3534/3600.

By inspecting the numerical values of these quotients we can clearly see, that there is a reduction of XP - but, as you already have stated, this is only relevant for lower levels, as the reduction appears because of rounding errors.

Consider a level 1 character with 393/400 XP. We grant 1 level to him, now the game looks at your current XP - which is 393/400 or 98.25%. Then it takes the required XP from the following level and calculates 98.25%, i.e. 900 (required XP) * 393/400 = 900*0.9825 = 884.25.
    Then the rounding takes place, and you effectively gain 884 XP - a slight loss of XP occurs.

Now I took the values for XP needed per level (see http://www.wowwiki.com/Formulas:XP_To_Level ) and wrote a small script to compute the expected XP at 80. Considering we start with 399/400 XP (99.75%), the "reductions" sum up to 1.683.412/1.686.300 XP (~99.82%). Assuming that the game also rounds up and doesn't just take the integer value, the reduction works 'for' us. The following graphic shows the progression of XP in % per level in this case.

Otherwise, if the game just takes the integer values, and if we start again at 399/400 (99.75%), we get to 1.678.026/1.686.300 (~99.51%), with the following progression:

So, either way, this reduction doesn't really "hurt" the overall XP.

TL;DR: Don't worry about lost XP, they aren't really relevant.

Q: However some people have said there's a way to squeeze out enough juice to get to 81 really quick. Do you just get really close to level 2 on the monk before granting or something?

A: Yes, when a level is granted, if the character was at 99% experience to level, it is still at 99% to level at the next level, so granting a level doesn't just give you the 1% to hit the next level, it actually gives you 100% of a level. So get as close to level 2 as you possibly can, or even 3, or 4, none of those levels are particularly hard to do.

NOTES

MONK CLASS QUEST INFO

Monks can get a Class quest just like every other class in the game, starting at level 20, then another at 30, another at 40, etc until 90 or so. 8 class quests all together. These class quests (at least for Beta) give you a buff called Enlightenment that gives you +50% Experience gained while questing and leveling for 1 hour. If you were to do multiple quests at once, you could have a total of 120 minutes or 2 hours of +50% Experience. If you continue to do these quests, the buff will just drop off after 120 minutes. After you complete these quests, they become daily quests, so you can do them again later for the buff, or even at level 90 for a 3000 Mastery buff. Note that you will be able to do only ONE of the dailies per day, unfortunately you CANNOT do all 8 of the dailies every day.

The way you get to these quests is with the ability called Zen Pilgrimage. When you use Zen Pilgrimage you are transported to a Monk only area. Directly in front of you will be the quest giver. When you are done here, you can use Zen Pilgrimage again to return somewhere relatively close to where you were before.
    It seems like best practice on the day of launch to do the first quest then the first quest again in the form of the daily, instead of the second quest, because later that morning you should be able to do the daily quest again as they reset.

http://www.disargeria.net/2012/08/13...k-of-serenity/ A wonderful Blog about the "Peak of Serenity" (the Area that Zen Pilgrimage takes you to) containing a ton more detailed information I was too lazy to write out myself. Courtesy of ghunor.

Quote Originally Posted by Archdrood View Post
    Not sure if anyone has mentioned this. If you granting levels your monk will have zero gear when you hit 81. It would be wise to have lvl 80ish green/blue BOEs from Cata rdy to equip asap. You don't want to be messing around on the AH when you could be out questing. I have crafted multiple items on my LW and purchased lvl 81 weapons and rings/neck.

You might or might not have some heirloom items, but other than the helm/cloak they stop scaling at 80. Prob the only heirloom I will still use are the 2x haste trinks. All the Cata greens ARE AMAZING for leveling. Most you can find or craft cheap right now. If you wait till launch day you will get ripped off - trust.
    --------If you want a Panda monk but still want to try for the FoS, DON'T ROLL PANDA! Roll another race, and spend $20 to race change later. The Panda entry zone takes WAY too long and it will be absolutely PACKED with people.

--------If you start out as an Orc, DON'T do any quests. Go kill Mottled Boars until you hit level 2. You should be 0/900 experience. Then kill 5 more Mottled Boars and kill 12 level 3 creatures (scorpions) and you should be 896/900 which is 99.55% experience. I'm not sure you can get much better than that.

--------I have all my boosters set in front of the flight trainer, I will friend summon with the first one after I get 99% into lvl 1 (or as close as I can go without the discovery xp of stormwind putting me over)
    -Summon
    -Grant levels from the boosters using a macro:
    /script GrantLevel("MyCharacterName", 1);

or alternatively

/script GrantLevel("target", 1);

With my monk having a macro:
    /click StaticPopup1Button1

Now you simply spam the first macro while hitting the second macro on the monk. Switch boosters when used the levels.

^^^ Stolen from Mistfit. Hope that's alright. A useful macro on each account/character to make the level granting even faster!

---------Taken from the official FAQ:

"Yes. Although a recruited character will cease to gain grantable levels at level 80, the ability to grant them to a veteran character will not go away. This means that if a level 85 recruit character had some grantable levels stored up, it could still grant them to a qualifying veteran character.

That said, all grantable levels will need to be used before the 90-day link expires, as these levels will not be available once the link is removed"

List of things that you may want to farm before MoP release to make leveling your Monk a whole lot easier

What I’ve farmed for the release of MoP for my spiffy new Monk:

Level 77-81 (Cataclysm Gear)

Level 81 Obsidium Bladespear

---I actually have 2 of these. One with the Enchant Weapon – Mending on it and one with Enchant 2H Weapon – Mighty Agility on it. I’m not sure which one will be more useful for leveling
    ---If you want to be even more efficient, get a few scrolls of Mending/Mighty Agility for whenever you replace the Obsidium Bladespear.

4 Embersilk Bags of course
    ---Illusionary Bag was way too expensive for my taste, but you could get them if you wanted to.

7 Potion of Treasure Finding
    ---I had mats sitting around so I figured I’d make a few. With 7 I have 7 hours, whether I die or not, and it only applies to Cata, so 7 should be plenty. This really isn’t necessary, just a way to make additional gold and stuff while leveling.

7 Adventurer’s Journal's
    ---This can provide a few different buffs including movement speed increase by 15%, 10% extra experience from quests, 30% chance to heal yourself for 4-6% of your maximum health, when dealing damage to an enemy, as well as an extra 15% bonus damage to various classes of npcs like Dragonkin, Humanoids, etc. I personally would hope for the 10% experience but any of them could be useful. 1 Hour cooldown. Only usable until level 85, hence only 7-10 of these really needed.

100 Fortune Cookie's
    ---Food buffs are always nice, especially if you Pandaren, you get double the effects. And there’s always a chance you could get the 1k or 5k fortune card from eating food buffs. It’s really a win win.

45 Flask of the Wind
    ---300 Extra Agility for 45 hours, assuming you don’t die. I really would recommend having at least a stack of these. Still useful in leveling 85-90, albeit just a little.

120 Potion of the Tol’Vir
    ---Again, 1200 Agility for 25 seconds, REALLY nice for leveling 80-90. Only requires level 80, 1200 agility at level 80 has to be pretty nice, right?

40 Swiftness Potion’s
    ---Share’s a cooldown with Potion of the Tol’Vir, but still useful at times. You never know!

20 Invisibility Potion's
    ---Really neat, never know when you could use them. Not really a required thing, just useful at times.

20 scrolls of Enchant Boots – Earthen Vitality
    ---Why 20? Still useful past 85. Never know how many new boots I will have. I got these more for the minor movement speed (I want to say 8%?) which just makes you walking around from mob to mob 8% faster. Doesn’t seem like much, but over time it adds up, I promise!

Various other enchants, Enchant Chest Mighty Stats Enchant Bracer – Speed Enchant Gloves – Haste pretty much anything you can get your hands on and are enchants are helpful. Some of the enchants you might not be able to put on your BoE gear you’ve farmed/bought for the monk, because they all require ilvl 300+, but will still be useful probably the first time you replace any of it.

I went the extra mile and even farmed ALL the mats for getting JC to about 500 following this guide.
    I’m going to farm the mats to level Mining via Smelting according to this guide.
    Only get it to 500, probably level mining right when I get the Monk and boost it to 80, that way I can level mining from 500+ whenever I get to Uldum while I’m out and about and leveling anyway. And jump right into mining in MoP too.
    The farming all of the mats for professions takes a LONG time. If you’re more concerned about leveling your monk, do ALL of this stuff last! Farm/buy the rest of the stuff first!

Work in progress.
    Last edited by monsage; 2012-09-18 at 05:15 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks Monsage for this, I know there will be a lot of questions concerning RAF now that the game has changed.

I was very pleased to hear RaF is being allowed, perhaps the realm first is a bit much, but I already bought the chest so whatever.

I have a rogue almost at level 80, with plenty of time to go. I'm thinking 1x80, 2x41. It is really simple but I tend to over-complicate things for myself...

• Make my Belf Monk
    • First level 41 is there, and grants it 20 levels. It's now level 21
    • Second level 41 is logged on, grants another 20. It's now level 41.
    • Level 80 is logged on, grants 39 levels. It's now level 80.

Seems simple enough. However some people have said there's a way to squeeze out enough juice to get to 81 really quick. Do you just get really close to level 2 on the monk before granting or something? (I do have cata on my RaF account)

Also does anyone recommend any good ways to get a gear set for it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Great guide. Clearly lays it out for newcomers to the RaF process.

/popcorn enthusiast!

Quote Originally Posted by Frost13s View Post
    I was very pleased to hear RaF is being allowed, perhaps the realm first is a bit much, but I already bought the chest so whatever.

I have a rogue almost at level 80, with plenty of time to go. I'm thinking 1x80, 2x41. It is really simple but I tend to over-complicate things for myself...

• Make my Belf Monk
    • First level 41 is there, and grants it 20 levels. It's now level 21
    • Second level 41 is logged on, grants another 20. It's now level 41.
    • Level 80 is logged on, grants 39 levels. It's now level 80.

Seems simple enough. However some people have said there's a way to squeeze out enough juice to get to 81 really quick. Do you just get really close to level 2 on the monk before granting or something? (I do have cata on my RaF account)

Also does anyone recommend any good ways to get a gear set for it?
    Your granting works out perfectly. Yes, when a level is granted, if the character was at 99% experience to level, it is still at 99% to level at the next level, so granting a level doesn't just give you the 1% to hit the next level, it actually gives you 100% of a level. So get as close to level 2 as you possibly can, or even 3, or 4, none of those levels are particularly hard to do.

I've just been watching the AH for Cata greens that are leather and agility. Also check out the Obsidium Bladespear that BS can make, and get +130 Agi enchant to put on it. It's level 81, but if you boost to 80 with 99% experience, the Intro to Hyjal quests will get you to 81 and you'll be able to use that pretty polearm.

You can grant a level at level 2, not every 2 levels gained.
    http://us.battle.net/support/en/arti...iend-rewards#1

This is sooo awesome!! Thanks! Explains it VERY well! I do have one question. On my vet account, I have a level 85 druid that is perfect for power leveling. I figure add in a all the heirlooms and I could get a character up to 80 pretty quickly doing dungeons. Is there anything wrong doing it this way? (I know I wont take advantage of the triple XP, but would that work? (I just don't have the character slots available on the veteran account)

Quote Originally Posted by dbd_rage View Post
    This is sooo awesome!! Thanks! Explains it VERY well! I do have one question. On my vet account, I have a level 85 druid that is perfect for power leveling. I figure add in a all the heirlooms and I could get a character up to 80 pretty quickly doing dungeons. Is there anything wrong doing it this way? (I know I wont take advantage of the triple XP, but would that work? (I just don't have the character slots available on the veteran account)
    Yes that would work fine. With the Battle chest and Wrath only being $5 each right now I would say buy 2 of each. Then link one account to your Veteran account, then one account to that friend account. So it looks like
    Veteran--->Friend--->FriendofFriend.

Then you can use your method, use your 85 druid to power level the two friend accounts, who are linked to each other, who will still get triple experience, and the first one is linked to your veteran account so it can still grant levels. It would save you a TON of the time. If that makes sense.

okay, so if I level two characters to 80 (or other variations) on my RAF character that I would play, I could create a monk and log them in and grant 40 levels from both of those 80s to my monk to get it to 80, correct?

also, will power leveling the RAF character with an 85 from the veteran account effect granted levels or just triple experience?

Quote Originally Posted by monsage View Post
    Yes that would work fine. With the Battle chest and Wrath only being $5 each right now I would say buy 2 of each. Then link one account to your Veteran account, then one account to that friend account. So it looks like
    Veteran--->Friend--->FriendofFriend.

Then you can use your method, use your 85 druid to power level the two friend accounts, who are linked to each other, who will still get triple experience, and the first one is linked to your veteran account so it can still grant levels. It would save you a TON of the time. If that makes sense.
    Does granted levels give you the ability to grant more levels in this situation?

IE Friend and FriendofFriend get leveled to 80 by Veteran then FriendofFriend grants Friend a second character to 40 then Friend can grant Veteran 40+20. And realistically if you choose Panda Monk thats all you really need to do because just complete the panda zone and a 5 man or two or a few other quests and you are around 20 (or just get to 20ish.)

PS yes i understand the numbers aren't exact but just as a point of reference is the concept possible is all I'm asking.
    Last edited by DesireKT; 2012-08-10 at 12:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by La View Post
    okay, so if I level two characters to 80 (or other variations) on my RAF character that I would play, I could create a monk and log them in and grant 40 levels from both of those 80s to my monk to get it to 80, correct?

also, will power leveling the RAF character with an 85 from the veteran account effect granted levels or just triple experience?
    Two 80's is only 78 levels, if you got to level 2 before you granted the levels you could indeed boost a monk to level 80. Yes, the Friend account can grant levels ONLY to the Veteran account, not backwards, just to be clear.

Power leveling will still let you grant levels. As long as the accounts are linked.

---------- Post added 2012-08-09 at 08:12 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by DesireKT View Post
    Does granted levels give you the ability to grant more levels in this situation?

IE Friend and FriendofFriend get leveled to 80 by Veteran then FriendofFriend grants Friend a second character to 40 then Friend can grant Veteran 40+20. And realistically if you choose Panda Monk thats all you really need to do because just complete the panda zone and a 5 man or two or a few other quests and you are around 20 (or just get to 20ish.)
    Last time I tried that (which was a while ago but I doubt anything has changed) it worked flawlessly. Even though the levels were granted to the Friend account, they are considered levels "Earned". Yeah you would need to get to level 20 on a Panda Monk and that would work well. Though you might as well level 2 more RAF characters to 20, it only takes a hour or two and you will be able to avoid all of the other low level Monks as soon as you get out of the Panda starting area.

I have a(nother) question about RAF here.

Here i have Main account with 2 level 80 characters.

Then the spare, or friend account with no characters created yet.

From all explained, if i recruit the "friend" account from the "main" account, i will only be able to grant levels in this direction: Friend--->main. Is this correct?

if so, is it possible to recruit the "main" account from the "friend" account and therefore use the 2 level 80's on the "main", recruited, account to grant levels to the "friend" account.

Basically, i want to use the level 80 characters i have on my main account now to grant levels to a new monk, and i'm confused on how to accomplish this (or ignorant)

Is it possible to RAF from the spare new account to the existing main account so that the new account has "veteran" status and the existing account "friend status" ??

Quote Originally Posted by elfporn View Post
    I have a(nother) question about RAF here.

Here i have Main account with 2 level 80 characters.

Then the spare, or friend account with no characters created yet.

From all explained, if i recruit the "friend" account from the "main" account, i will only be able to grant levels in this direction: Friend--->main. Is this correct?

if so, is it possible to recruit the "main" account from the "friend" account and therefore use the 2 level 80's on the "main", recruited, account to grant levels to the "friend" account.

Basically, i want to use the level 80 characters i have on my main account now to grant levels to a new monk, and i'm confused on how to accomplish this (or ignorant)

Is it possible to RAF from the spare new account to the existing main account so that the new account has "veteran" status and the existing account "friend status" ??
    No, only a new account can grant levels. There is no way to make your Main account the "Friend" account and able to grant levels. It would be nice but unfortunately not. The only way to do it is to level new characters unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by monsage View Post
    No, only a new account can grant levels. There is no way to make your Main account the "Friend" account and able to grant levels. It would be nice but unfortunately not. The only way to do it is to level new characters unfortunately.
    Well that sucks.

So the solution is to perform RaF with a new account and level characters on the new RAF'ed account, 3 characters with combined levels divided by 2 equaling 79. One character required @80.

Upon MoP launch, create your monk on the veteran account and use newly leveled characters (lowest first) to grant levels to 80.

My next redundant question is when should i do RAF? The bonus levels last 3 months, correct? so technically i should be able to do RAF now and level the granters up in preparation.

ps: all this q&a and the FAQ helps a lot for new RAF'ers.

Quote Originally Posted by elfporn View Post
    Well that sucks.

So the solution is to perform RaF with a new account and level characters on the new RAF'ed account, 3 characters with combined levels divided by 2 equaling 79. One character required @80.

Upon MoP launch, create your monk on the veteran account and use newly leveled characters (lowest first) to grant levels to 80.

My next redundant question is when should i do RAF? The bonus levels last 3 months, correct? so technically i should be able to do RAF now and level the granters up in preparation.

ps: all this q&a and the FAQ helps a lot for new RAF'ers.
    Yes that is the solution, 3 characters all combined to divide by 2 (rounding down, ie 78.5 is NOT 79).

Grant in order from lowest to highest correct.

You can do RAF now, but you will need to pay for a month because it is a little more than a month away, but if you pay for a month with the RAF account your main account gets a free month, so that works out.

PS: That's why I made this thread!

Pretty sure gift levels are granted every 2 levels with the first coming at level 2. I think at 78 you have your 39 and at 40 you have 20.

Quote Originally Posted by BugNuggets View Post
    Pretty sure gift levels are granted every 2 levels with the first coming at level 2. I think at 78 you have your 39 and at 40 you have 20.
    Probably true. But I'm just trying to be more safe than sorry. That extra level won't kill anyone to get.

I have a "full" veteran account - aka maxed out on 1 realm on 85s with 1 char slot to spare, can I delete the character I leveled to 80 with on my Vet account? It sounds like I only need to keep my 80s on the friend account, correct?

If I create a Death Knight and level him to lv 60 can he grant 30 levels or just 2 (since he leveled from 55-60 only)?

Oh and another quick question. When I'm done with whole RaF granting levels, can I move characters from friend acc to my main acc (assuming they are on the same B.net account)? Is it paid transfer?
    Last edited by DemoBytom; 2012-08-10 at 07:35 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archaeon View Post
    In tbc everyone wished they were playing vanilla. In cataclysm everyone will wish they were playing wotlk.
    ^------True story!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe a stupid question that I have after reading what you wrote about heirlooms : so I can have the veteran account and the friend account on the same battlenet account and therefore playing to WoW accounts (but on the same bnet) at the same time ?

I ask the question because I intend to RAF to grant level to my Monk, but after it's done my wife will play wow again by using the friend account. So I can use this to grant levels and after she won't have any trouble to play even when I'm playing, right ?
    Thanks !