Page 1 of 22
... LastLast

Sexist Airline removes man from sitting men from sitting next to Kid(s)

Dunno if any USA Airlines or any other airline has this policy.

But apparently a male cannot sit next to unaccompanied minors on Virgin Airlines.

Is this Sexist??

Virgin Australia has been accused of treating male passengers like paedophiles after it made a man swap seats because he was beside two unaccompanied minors.

The company has defended the policy as in the interests of children. It strips away all the good that any male does regardless of his standing in society, his profession or his moral attitudes

Sydney fireman Johnny McGirr, 33, said he was flying home from Brisbane in April when he took his seat next to two boys he estimated to be between 8 and 10 years old.

He was assigned the window seat but sat in the aisle seat so the two boys could look out the window.

However, a flight attendant approached him just as passengers were asked to put on their seatbelts, asking him to move.

Mr McGirr said when he asked why, he was told, "Well you can't sit next to two unaccompanied minors."

"She said it was the policy and I said, 'Well, that's pretty sexist and discriminatory.

You can't just say becauseI'm a man I can't sit there,' and she just apologised and said that was the policy.
    "By this stage everyone around me had started looking."

Mr McGirr said the attendant then asked a fellow female passenger, "Can you please sit in this seat because he is not allowed to sit next to minors."

"After that I got really embarrassed because she didn't even explain. I just got up and shook my head a little, trying to get some dignity out of the situation," he said.

"And that was it, I pretty much sat through the flight getting angrier."

Mr McGirr pointed out that he works as a fireman in Newtown in Sydney and was trusted in his job to look out for the welfare of children.

"(The attitude of the airline) is 'we respect you but as soon as you board a Virgin airline you are a potential paedophile', and that strips away all the good that any male does regardless of his standing in society, his profession or his moral attitudes," he said.

A spokeswoman for Virgin Australia confirmed the policy and said while they didn't want to offend male passengers, their priority was the safety of children.
    "In our experience, most guests thoroughly understand that the welfare of the child is our priority," she said.

The spokeswoman said staff usually tried to keep the seat empty but when that was not possible a woman was seated next to the child.

"Virgin Australia takes the safety of all guests very seriously and in the case of unaccompanied minors, we take additional steps to ensure their flight is safe and trouble free in every respect."

Mr McGirr, who wrote to Virgin to complain, said the policy was flawed.

"(It's) blatant discrimination that just because I'm a male I can't sit there," he said.
    "...they apologised that it happened on the flight and said it shouldn't have happened then but my issue is not with the mistakes made there, my issue is with the policy in general.

"The majority of sexual assaults are (also) committed by men, does that mean that we can't sit next to women? Should we just have a seat by ourselves and that way women and children will be protected?"

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-...#ixzz236sWYtWe

This made me wonder if women paedophiles even exist.

Deleted
    I'd say this is pretty sexist. Wow..

This is sick and one of the things I hate most in this world, Feminism nowadays = taking away the rights of Men. Just a few days ago my friend was fined and was in jail for 1 month after a girl punched him in the face and he pushed her back, she got bruised and reported him. This is just so messed up.

I fucking hate that acronym, but I find it extremely ironic that "smh" is the name of the website this is hosted on..

OT: That's absolutely pathetic. It's akin to saying that because the majority of people beaten in relationships are women beaten by men, men are no longer allowed to be in relationships with women. How can a company enforce this kind of policy legally? It's disgusting, discrimination is completely wrong uuuntil you do it to a majority group, and then it's fine?

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgin Australia takes the safety of all guests very seriously and in the case of unaccompanied minors, we take additional steps to ensure their flight is safe and trouble free in every respect.
    How is removing a respected fireman from their side looking out for their safety? If an emergency broke out on the plane I would prefer to sit next to the fireman who is trained to operate under intense stress.
    "Death is not kind. It's dark, black as far as you can see, and you're all alone."

Because as we all know, sitting on a crowded airplane is the best place to try having sex with a child without drawing attention...

Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    Of course they do. Paedophilia and child abuse is a pretty even split among all possible genders (edit: that are capable of having children. Childless people are much less likely to commit atrocities to children because.. You know; they don't have any to be atrocious to).

However, one relic of our patriarchal days is the idea that women are weak. And thus, women are harmless. And thus, women are not dangerous. And men are strong. And therefore, men are dangerous. And therefore, all crimes are automatically perpetrated by men (because women are unable to do so) and therefore, all men are monsters.

Yeah; it's sexist.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is 100% sexist.

It's also beyond ridiculous. I honestly blame the media for making it appear sometimes like EVERY single man that you don't know could be a pedophile. Disgusting.
    PEPE SILVA, PEPE SILVA

All men should just be chained in crates in the luggage area for the safety of the wee women and children.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleEye007 View Post
    Because as we all know, sitting on a crowded airplane is the best place to try having sex with a child without drawing attention...
    They must have some kickass headsets if they think a person could rape people on a plane unnoticed.

Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    Yes they do.

This is a major lawsuit in the making.

Feminism nowadays = taking away the rights of Men.

Quote Originally Posted by bekilrwale View Post
    How is removing a respected fireman from their side looking out for their safety? If an emergency broke out on the plane I would prefer to sit next to the fireman who is trained to operate under intense stress.
    Nobody knew he was a fireman, his job is irrelevant to this.

The mere fact that they're making a man move just because he's sitting next to kids is wrong, whether he's a fireman or a lawyer or anything. This is incredibly sexist and if it was me, I honestly would not have moved.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Disgustingly sexist. There is some kind of stigma attached to men caring for children, it adversely affects society a great deal. I know several very intelligent men who refused elementary teaching positions because of this same sexist attitude . . . if you're a man who is around children, you must be a pedo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    Disgustingly sexist. There is some kind of stigma attached to men caring for children, it adversely affects society a great deal. I know several very intelligent men who refused elementary teaching positions because of this same sexist attitude . . . if you're a man who is around children, you must be a pedo.
    This whole thing is disgusting.
    We should be interested in equality, not feminisim.

If this happened to a female, it would be EVERYWHERE.

10+ Year Old Account
    That is 100% sexist.
    If someone came up to me and basically called me a pedophile because I randomly bought a plane ticket that just happened to be near children I would make the biggest scene possible.

I think the bigger problem is two 8-10-year-olds flying on a plane alone.
    These aren't the spoilers you're looking for.

Move along.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Now, Waaldo is prepared to look for this person like Prince Charming testing everyone to see just how bad their psychological disorder is if their foot fits in the glass slipper.

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    Nobody knew he was a fireman, his job is irrelevant to this.

The mere fact that they're making a man move just because he's sitting next to kids is wrong, whether he's a fireman or a lawyer or anything. This is incredibly sexist and if it was me, I honestly would not have moved.
    If you would not have moved they probably would have labeled it as a 'passenger disturbance' made an emergency landing and had you arrested. What I would have done is just pull out my phone, turn on the voice recorder and had the flight attendant state their policy for the record, which I would be consulting with a lawyer after I landed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ridiculous. Why are men even allowed to be school teachers if were all supposedly peadophiles. Glad i dont fly with virgin.

The world has sure become a crazy place, when you read stuff like this.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4