Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

One thing that has the potential to ruin Guild Wars 2.

Hackers.

One of the things I did not even think about because of my excitement of the game itself.
    I know with every game comes hackers, and its expected. People love to be jerks exploiting and hacking. I stumbled across this video on youtube

Do you think Anet will be on top of this immediately? Has anyone spoken about what they are doing for prevention of stuff like this?

No 15 a month for ANet, if lots of hackers running wild. ANet would lose lots of potential money. I think they will deal with this rather quickly, by all means, if hackers want to continue buying copies of the game, more power to 'em.

A ban in GW2 will probably be longer, if not permanent, the difference is the payment model. As far as hacking for gold goes, I think they would be wasting time in Gw2 compared to WoW or D3.

If they're willing to ban someone in the middle of a tournament (not a big esports event, but a monthly tournament nonetheless) for foul language, I'm sure they will be willing to ban hackers without a second thought.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post

If they're willing to ban someone in the middle of a tournament (not a big esports event, but a monthly tournament nonetheless) for foul language, I'm sure they will be willing to ban hackers without a second thought.
    Was watching that when it happened, think I saw that twice in an observable match, other was on the Isle of wurms iirc

I don't see how people get away with speed hacks like this. I mean, they are easy to spot, report, and ban. Aren't they?
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Moon View Post
    I don't see how people get away with speed hacks like this. I mean, they are easy to spot, report, and ban. Aren't they?
    Yes, but Anet's primary concern is getting the game as perfect as they can for the people playing it properly as oppose to the 0.01% of the population (I'm not going to link their site, but it looks VERY inactive. Also, you'll notice how few views those videos have and how many dislikes it has compared to likes) that hacks. The chances of them 'getting away with it' post-launch is highly unlikely.
    Last edited by Delias; 2012-08-10 at 10:31 AM.

Deleted
    I'll add that while some MMOs may be more lenient towards hackers in order to keep their $15 per month, ANet doesn't directly lose money from banning someone. Permanently.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post

Lol, what is that? The grim reaper delivering a ban? hahaha

I don't see the prob on the OP's video, looks like it was sped up? Am I missing something?
    Valar morghulis

Quote Originally Posted by Jigain View Post
    I'll add that while some MMOs may be more lenient towards hackers in order to keep their $15 per month, ANet doesn't directly lose money from banning someone. Permanently.
    Hackers aren't one of the things other MMOs are generally lenient to, that's not that fair of a point. It's usually other things they are more hesitant about banning for. (trolling/language/harassment)

---------- Post added 2012-08-10 at 05:14 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    Lol, what is that? The grim reaper delivering a ban? hahaha

I don't see the prob on the OP's video, looks like it was sped up? Am I missing something?
    Dhuum, former god of the underworld in GW lore showed up whenever a ban was given out if the person was online at the time.

If you look at the NPCs around him, you will see that HE was sped up but the NPCs were not. As in it was a speed hack.

That video with the speedhack/teleport surfaced around the first BWE. Wasnt it determined at the time that it wasnt a true speedhack? What I recall from the discussion was that it all the hack was really doing was half desyncing the user from the server. On their screen they could zip around and teleport but as far as the server(and everybody else around) there character was still standing right where they started. Aside from being able to look around and explore areas you normaly could not get into a program like that is rather useless if you cant attack or even really move from the start location.

Who is John Galt?

Its financially beneficial to ban hackers. They dont get a sub fee from the players, and if hacking ruins for the game for other players and causes them to leave, these players wont spend money in the gemstore and are less likely to purchase expansion-packs.

Players are also more easily going to leave if there is a lot of hacking going on. Because there is no gear threadmill the player wont be punished for being absent for a while. Unlike in WoW, where leaving for a while will cause you to fall behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Merendel View Post
    That video with the speedhack/teleport surfaced around the first BWE. Wasnt it determined at the time that it wasnt a true speedhack? What I recall from the discussion was that it all the hack was really doing was half desyncing the user from the server. On their screen they could zip around and teleport but as far as the server(and everybody else around) there character was still standing right where they started. Aside from being able to look around and explore areas you normaly could not get into a program like that is rather useless if you cant attack or even really move from the start location.
    Was going to say something related to that.

He didn't do anything besides walking around so he could be just out of sync and not able to actualy atack something.

Quote Originally Posted by Jigain View Post
    so true

the game isn't built to accommodate bots/hackers either
    wow is

Quote Originally Posted by mmochamp7280 View Post
    so true

the game isn't built to accommodate bots/hackers either
    wow is
    I do find it hilarious how these kind of threads almost always devolve into someone saying something about how WoW and Blizzard "accomodate" bots and hackers. It's like Godwin's Law, except it's WoW/Blizzard instead of Nazis.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mofo View Post
    I do find it hilarious how these kind of threads almost always devolve into someone saying something about how WoW and Blizzard "accomodate" bots and hackers. It's like Godwin's Law, except it's WoW/Blizzard instead of Nazis.
    Haha that’s true

I don't know why people are acting like Anet are like the most wonderful, thoughtful, on top of the game devs. It took forever for shit to get fixed in Gwars 1, and I don't see why this is going to be any different.

DONT GET ME WRONG, I loved Gwars 1 without jumping, endgame whatever. I'm just saying they're not as amazing as everyone says they are.

Quote Originally Posted by mofo View Post
    i'll explain
    in pvp, the system allows a bot to
    queue for pvp
    stay in combat in pvp
    avoid repercussions from teammates in pvp
    to be rewarded for botting in pvp

so there is no positive to NOT botting
    real players aren't rewarded in a way that bots aren't

then archaeology, set up so that FREE bot programs
    can completely level 1-525

leveling can be done by FREE bot programs 1-85
    the player will be rewarded with a level 85
    thousands of gold
    that time that would have been spent leveling for other things

LFR can be done with a bot
    fishing can be done with a bot
    mining
    skinning
    everything can be done with a bot

it's a lot harder to stop hackers, i'll give you that
    it's a lot easier to stop botting though
    wow rewards you for logging in, that is a failure of a game design

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mmochamp7280 View Post
    i'll explain
    in pvp, the system allows a bot to
    queue for pvp
    stay in combat in pvp
    avoid repercussions from teammates in pvp
    to be rewarded for botting in pvp

so there is no positive to NOT botting
    real players aren't rewarded in a way that bots aren't

then archaeology, set up so that FREE bot programs
    can completely level 1-525

leveling can be done by FREE bot programs 1-85
    the player will be rewarded with a level 85
    thousands of gold
    that time that would have been spent leveling for other things

LFR can be done with a bot
    fishing can be done with a bot
    mining
    skinning
    everything can be done with a bot

it's a lot harder to stop hackers, i'll give you that
    it's a lot easier to stop botting though
    wow rewards you for logging in, that is a failure of a game design
    If you've ever played gw1, you'd know bots are everywhere there too.

This is just the desync "hack". Just look around in the vid, notice there are no other players, and try to remember any point in any bwe or stress test when you did not see another player around
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    This is just the desync "hack". Just look around in the vid, notice there are no other players, and try to remember any point in any bwe or stress test when you did not see another player around
    I can think of quite a few. But not at a starting area really close to where players begin like on that video right there.