Page 35 of 37 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by nemro82 View Post
    I know all of you defend GW 2 like your life depends on it, There was many SWTOR rabid fanboys too, and now they are turned to haters after a while.
    Actually, no. I like WoW, and Rift, and Guild Wars 2, and SW:TOR, and City of Heroes, and a lot of other games. I don't expect an MMO to do be specifically tailored to my needs. I look for things that I can enjoy, and so far I have found them in most MMOs. Just because I maintain a positive outlook does not make me a fangirl of any of them.

If I am somewhat excited, then the reason is that GW2 (if successful) may inspire other game studies to produce MMOs that aren't WoW clones. We really don't need yet another of those, especially when it comes to gameplay.

Please answer me this: - what I'm going to do when I already finish every heart, find every vista, jumping puzzle, complete every DE. Yes there are dungeons that will reward gear - ok lets say i did it all, got all the armors and even legendary weapons, what next? please don't say it will be events in Orr, without actuall reward noone will be doing this after a month or 2, if you dont believe me ask any ex Rift player about rifts, it was fun at start but soon everybody hated it. Land was devasteded by invading hordes of monster but players didnt even care, there was no significant reward for closing them down.
    The same I will do in WoW when everything is done; wait for the next content patch or the next expansion. A progression-based endgame does not mean that there's magically more content. Right now, in fact, I am out of things to do in WoW. I'm really baffled why people treat WoW as a game with infinite content when it is actually one of the worst performers in the "amount of actually playable content" category. WoW's strength is its progression game, which is what game development focuses on and where Blizzard does a very good job. But most of the rest of WoW's content is a bit neglected, to be honest.

I'm sure content will last for quite long time, but eventually it will all end and die, and there's nothing on the horizon. Thats the problem, in other mmos with raids players know there soon will be new raid, new gear to get, achevements to complete, and GW2 lacks a goal.
    As far as I know, GW1 had expansions at roughly yearly intervals (I've never played GW1 beyond Lion's Arch, so I don't know the exact details). There's nothing that stops an MMO company from releasing new content just because there's no progression game. Whether one needs an overarching goal is up for debate, especially given that even in MMOs with a progression game, most players never come even close to achieving this goal; so it can't be all that important from a business perspective.

As another example, City of Heroes also did not have an endgame for the longest time, didn't have much of a budget, and they still had 2-3 content patches annually.

---------- Post added 2012-08-11 at 10:58 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by rezoacken View Post
    There is no game that feed you endless pve content.
    This is something that bears repeating. There simply is no game studio that can produce content at the same pace as their most avid players devour it. It's flat out impossible.

You either have to pace your consumption of content, do some of the content repeatedly, or play multiple games.

Expectations of "I want a game like WoW, except with a new raid and half a dozen heroic dungeons every three months" are unrealistic.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    You'll never complete every DE, nor will you ever know if you have or not (there's no in-game measure of how many DEs you've done out of the total in existence), since they're constantly going to be adding more DEs to every zone, without ever even telling you if they have.
    Internet and information sharing websites say hi.

There will be detailed maps of every zone with every DE within weeks (if there aren't already).

10+ Year Old Account
    lost somewhere in the corn fields of middle America
    There simply is no game studio that can produce content at the same pace as their most avid players devour it. It's flat out impossible.

You either have to pace your consumption of content, do some of the content repeatedly, or play multiple games.

Expectations of "I want a game like WoW, except with a new raid and half a dozen heroic dungeons every three months" are unrealistic.
    Wow I agreed with all your points one hundred percent... someone else on the interwebz who actually understand MMO's and how someone should approach them.. I am amazed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashnazg View Post

There will be detailed maps of every zone with every DE within weeks (if there aren't already).
    So what? you're camping on these event-spots without knowing when those events trigger/spawn? I don't think so.

10+ Year Old Account

They can try, but they won't be able to keep up. I also specifically said that there was no in-game measure.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    They can try, but they won't be able to keep up. I also specifically said that there was no in-game measure.
    I wonder if there's a dynamic to the dynamic events, haha. As in...it's not reoccurring every x minutes, but occurs depending on other factors such as..I don't know, players killing lots of a certain type of mob, or, if dynamic event y has been completed successfully by players 10 times within a few hours, a new dynamic event establishes itself and a boss mob appears to crush us.

Quote Originally Posted by Maarius View Post
    So what? you're camping on these event-spots without knowing when those events trigger/spawn? I don't think so.
    I am sure every website dedicated to them will have the triggers listed. To think otherwise is illogical.

They won't be able to keep up? Lol, you underestimate crowd sourcing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WorldofWorkcraft View Post
    I wonder if there's a dynamic to the dynamic events, haha. As in...it's not reoccurring every x minutes, but occurs depending on other factors such as..I don't know, players killing lots of a certain type of mob, or, if dynamic event y has been completed successfully by players 10 times within a few hours, a new dynamic event establishes itself and a boss mob appears to crush us.
    Evens have all sorts of triggers.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

PVE was the reason that I cancelled my pre order, the only thing enjoyable is PVP.

I am sure every website dedicated to them will have the triggers listed. To think otherwise is illogical.

There is some random factors to it. Some of them will be listed no doubt, but I sure as hell won't be looking for them.

Alot of them are just a npc choosing you and IF you talk to him, an event starts. If you talk to him he won't trigger the Event. If you don't follow a certain npc at some point he won't trigger the Event when he gets somewhere too.

Quote Originally Posted by Aerimae View Post
    PVE was the reason that I cancelled my pre order, the only thing enjoyable is PVP.
    Why o.0?

alot of npc's tell you where to go for events. Youll run into a small camp and someone will yell for you. If you talk to them they usually give directions to one of their companions that needs help out in the map. Not talking about scouts cuz they give exact locations, what im referring to is basically "West of here in the caves"

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Actually, it's not. What's sad is that Blizzard has been putting out such crap amounts of content at such a snails pace that people have been conditioned to just accept it now.
    I agree that Blizzard is at the low end when it comes to producing content, but even games with a better track record have their limits compared to how fast players can go through it.

Deleted
    thanks for all the answers, especially from GW1 vets, cant argue with experience. If you say that approach to PvE worked for previous game over the years, I belive you.
    You need to undersand it's rather new to me because so far I was always playing gear driven mmos, where your never ending goal was making your character more and more powerful.

10+ Year Old Account
    I know all of you defend GW 2 like your life depends on it, There was many SWTOR rabid fanboys too, and now they are turned to haters after a while.
    Please answer me this: - what I'm going to do when I already finish every heart, find every vista, jumping puzzle, complete every DE. Yes there are dungeons that will reward gear - ok lets say i did it all, got all the armors and even legendary weapons, what next? please don't say it will be events in Orr, without actuall reward noone will be doing this after a month or 2, if you dont believe me ask any ex Rift player about rifts, it was fun at start but soon everybody hated it. Land was devasteded by invading hordes of monster but players didnt even care, there was no significant reward for closing them down.

I'm not saying DE, exploring, jumping puzzles, hearts, dungeons wont be fun. I'm sure content will last for quite long time, but eventually it will all end and die, and there's nothing on the horizon. Thats the problem, in other mmos with raids players know there soon will be new raid, new gear to get, achevements to complete, and GW2 lacks a goal.
    How about taking a break from the game? GW2 is not the type of MMO that holds a gun to your head (monthly sub) and makes you feel obligated to log in said game X amount of hours to feel like you getting your money's worth. I've already said this many times, GW2 has the bargain of a single player game and the content of an MMo. My cousin just bought GW2 last week and its his 1st MMO ever, as far as RPGs go he's only played single player games up to this point. To him this is basically an RPG with no end in sight because content keeps getting added over time and i'm willing to bet if GW2 had a monthly sub he wouldn't even bother to look at it.

And how exactly do you propose you're going to keep track of how many more you need in each zone if there a) isn't a list b) isn't a in game progress bar that tells you how many you have left and how many you've done. c) if they're semi random and interlinked to others and d) remember how to start each and everyone of them if you don't know all the factor's that contribute to the starting of an event and that's assuming it doesn't have any limitation's on WHEN it can be started. Eg "this can only happen once every 8 hour's" How exactly do you, and the rest of the internet world plan on keeping track of all that.. for OVER 1600 DIFFERENT dynamic events. If you could 100% control it. it'd be no different then the questing system implemented in other games, which seems like alot of effort just to create a system that's no different. which is kinda the whole point of the system.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvanie View Post
    I agree that Blizzard is at the low end when it comes to producing content, but even games with a better track record have their limits compared to how fast players can go through it.
    I have to agree with this.

@Bovinity divinity. I mean... look at how quickly people will complete raids in other games. What.. two... three weeks MAX if it's really difficult/tuned too tightly. You can't expect any company to produce a "dragon soul" or "fire lands" twice a month as well as dungeon's to keep everyone else happy. Especially with what goes into making a raid/dungeon in the first place. It's just not feasible. That's the same as saying producers can make movies faster then we can watch them. It's just not possible.

Deleted
    Please answer me this: - what I'm going to do when I already finish every heart, find every vista, jumping puzzle, complete every DE. Yes there are dungeons that will reward gear - ok lets say i did it all, got all the armors and even legendary weapons, what next?
    you will not
    alone legendary weapons need a lot of time
    first there is no "POINT" in gw2 where the Experience ends
    you will be lvl 80 but lvling dont stop - on 80 you get same exp from everything like before and on lvl 81 your reward is 1 Skillpoint and be back to lvl 80
    so you do lvl 80-81 over and over again while you playing

1 legendary you have to pay like 200 skillpoints for it - you see? how long you have to play for it?
    and the greatsword alone is 2 legendarys combined to one so you have to be lvl 480 to get it^^

there is no end in this game - endgame is "Playing the Game"

The title is "Ten Reasons PvE players will love GW2" but yet people are posting things like "there is no end in this game - endgame is "Playing the Game"" which severely contradicts the topic. Raiding in WoW is what 90% of players would refer to as "PvE", not questing. If wow's endgame was the same as its leveling they would have nowhere near as many subscribers as they do. Many players HATE leveling and see it as a chore to get to the real game (raiding).

Quote Originally Posted by Inora View Post
    you will not
    alone legendary weapons need a lot of time
    first there is no "POINT" in gw2 where the Experience ends
    you will be lvl 80 but lvling dont stop - on 80 you get same exp from everything like before and on lvl 81 your reward is 1 Skillpoint and be back to lvl 80
    so you do lvl 80-81 over and over again while you playing

1 legendary you have to pay like 200 skillpoints for it - you see? how long you have to play for it?
    and the greatsword alone is 2 legendarys combined to one so you have to be lvl 480 to get it^^

there is no end in this game - endgame is "Playing the Game"
    That's what i've heard as well, instead of being able to tap out the exp bar at 99.9% you can repeat the level for infinity and get a skill point for each level. Which mean's on average a lvl 80 toon will require 300 hour's of gameplay in order to "grind out" skill points via nothing but exp. That's assuming the 90minutes per level is accurate for 80-81. 90 minutes * number of skill points needed or 90 * 200 / 60 which would equal 300.

Now of course there's going to be OTHER way's to get skill point's so please don't think im saying "this is going to be nothing but a grind" Just showing a little math for the guy who seems to think he'll have everything done within a month or two's time.

Quote Originally Posted by Raar View Post
    The title is "Ten Reasons PvE players will love GW2" but yet people are posting things like "there is no end in this game - endgame is "Playing the Game"" which severely contradicts the topic. Raiding in WoW is what 90% of players would refer to as "PvE", not questing. If wow's endgame was the same as its leveling they would have nowhere near as many subscribers as they do. Many players HATE leveling and see it as a chore to get to the real game (raiding).
    I don't think this is true at all, since I know a lot of players (me included) who prefer leveling and making alts to raiding. It's true though that in games like WoW the endgame suddenly changes the whole game: you do raid A over and over again to be able to raid B over and over again. All the other stuff, all the areas where you've been before lose it's appeal because you have simply outleveled it. Those are no challenge any more and quests you have done and you would do again because they where fun can only be repeated if you restart with an ALT.

All of this is not true for GW2.
    -) leveling (to me) is actually fun, because it's partly really challenging. There are those veterans and hard encounters everywhere in the game, even in the starter zones. You can't outlevel them because you get scaled to the area and even though you have better gear now, those are challenging nontheless. I don't care if a lv.80 does events next to me because he can't grief your experience, he only can help me and probably will, because he'll get rewarded for it.

-) at lv.80 the game doesn't suddenly change. You will actually have much more viable options what to do at lv.80. Everything you do, be it going back to the starter zone or fighting high level elite events rewards you with level-appropriate loot, as well as xp, karma and gold.

this doesn't contradict the topic at all, PvE means player versus environment, it's leveling AND dungeon-stuff. Anet has those dungeons at raid-difficulty. The only difference is that:
    -) even the low level dungeons are hard at max. level because the explorable mode (nothing like hardmode, since it's new paths, new enemies, a new backgroundstory, new bosses) scales and is challenging even for max. level players.
    -) those are tuned for 5 players

Please answer me this: - what I'm going to do when I already finish every heart, find every vista, jumping puzzle, complete every DE. Yes there are dungeons that will reward gear - ok lets say i did it all, got all the armors and even legendary weapons, what next?
    Boy, if you did all that it sounds like you sure got a loooooooot of hours worth of entertainment out of that. Sounds like a game thats worth its box price to me.

But a little question in return. If you did all that in another MMO, what would you do then?