Page 1 of 19
... LastLast

Can you bench press your own body weight?

I've read a few articles that suggest that your average man cannot bench press his own body weight. I'm wondering if this is true?

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably true, yes.

I very much doubt that anyone who doesn't actively train those muscles would be able to bench press their own weight. Hell, I can barely press half my weight, and I visit the gym occasionally, although I don't really train the required muscles for bench pressing.

I weight 225lbs and can bench my own weight, was up to 275 before I screwed up my shoulder

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope, I'd probably kill myself in the process.

Nope, but i havent tried. I do 125lbs 12times and weigh 185. I need more muscle endurance than strength for my sport. If i get to big i lose my flexibilty and snap.

Easily. Anyone moderatly athletic should be able to.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can, yes. So can your average man that is fit. I haven't tried, but I'm pretty sure I can lift 70 kg.... Maybe not 10 times but I can. I don't think it's a big deal, it's not like you're asking whether I can climb a 9a. Even the strongest man on earth who doesn't know to climb wouldn't be able to climb a 9a. But bench pressing? Ya, sure, I can do that.

I train for muscle endurance and leanness for my sport, which is soccer, so I need to be more in shape and sturdy than benching tons of weight. And no, I can't.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Curanhadin View Post
    Then again, he asked about the average man. The average man is not moderatly athletic.

I go to the gym a lot, not to get big bad and meanest but to be fit you know. When I started doing bench I did 40kg now 2 years later I do 90kg. I weight 80. So I've just recently begun to lift "myself" and beyond, when I first started there was no way I could bench my own weight.

I suppose the answer to the OP's question is; No, the average man can not bench press his own weight.

I just do pushups twice a week for my chest. It's not strength training, but I don't care. It still works. I've always been bad at bench, mainly because I have a bad shoulder. But even then I've never been comfortable with the motion. Feels awkward, so when I did, I just did lower weight. I could do more, but I'm not going to risk hurting it, and for what? Being able to bench a lot doesn't mean much to me. So I focus on squats, lower body and a good core. I'll take a six pack instead.

I used to be able to while i was in football, and im a big guy. Then i tore up my shoulder and my benching days are over =(

Really depends on who you are, I suppose.
    They can dynamite Devil Reef, but that will bring no relief, Y'ha-nthlei is deeper than they know.

I consider myself weak and I can do 40lbs over my body weight (I weigh 155lbs). My workout partner weighs 160lbs and can bench 225lbs.

There are two ladies in my gym who I've seen do 155lbs and one lady do 185lbs. These are small ladies (5'4 to 5'6) probably weighing 115lbs or 120lbs and they don't look muscular. They just have really good form and control with the proper training.

Quote Originally Posted by Kozya View Post
    Then again, he asked about the average man. The average man is not moderatly athletic.

I go to the gym a lot, not to get big bad and meanest but to be fit you know. When I started doing bench I did 40kg now 2 years later I do 90kg. I weight 80. So I've just recently begun to lift "myself" and beyond, when I first started there was no way I could bench my own weight.

I suppose the answer to the OP's question is; No, the average man can not bench press his own weight.
    Stick with it. That seems mind boggling to me maybe because Ive been in sports all my life the average people I know are moderate or above athletes so they can all do it pretty easy.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gismo7354 View Post
    I consider myself weak and I can do 40lbs over my body weight (I weigh 155lbs).
    You consider that weak? What the hell kind of people work out at your gym?

I weigh 78kg and my max is 85kg. I've never considered myself particularly weak.
    Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

Quote Originally Posted by Curanhadin View Post
    I think it requires some weight lifting to an extent too. I've met some pretty physically fit dudes who couldn't lift a lot of weight in the gym because that wasn't their area of expertise.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd say the average man definitely couldn't bench press his own bodyweight. I'm mainly thinking in western countries admittedly - but if you consider how heavy an average man is (i.e. overweight), and how little exercise the average person does (very little), then there's no chance. Even people who exercise tend to do more walking and cardio than resistance training, which is okay, but it won't help them bench press.

Being able to bench press your own bodyweight is actually one good indicator of how "in shape" you are. Not fit necessarily, but that you're not fat and/or are doing a reasonable amount of resistance training.

Oh also - you know there's a separate sport and fitness forum, right?

Benching a lot also gives something called "Bitch tit" when you get older (for men), best not to push it too hard or you will be wearing a bra later in life

Quote Originally Posted by Jersovic View Post
    I think it requires some weight lifting to an extent too. I've met some pretty physically fit dudes who couldn't lift a lot of weight in the gym because that wasn't their area of expertise.
    Maybe some of its genetics I have only started working out again over the last two months after taking over five full years off from all running and lifting do to time constraints of working and going to school full time and my first day back Im no where near as strong or fit as I was I can still bench well above my body weight.

There's a lot of guys who think they are able to bench a lot of weight, then get to the gym and can't do it.

When I was at my peak I was benching - or more accurately maxing - 240lb. I was weighing 185lb at the time.

Now that I'm out of college it's almost reversed lol. I weigh 220lb and I can rep 140lb maybe 10 times. Sad thing it is.

So to the OP. No I don't think the average person can bench their own weight. Not without training.
    Last edited by ro9ue; 2012-08-12 at 08:00 PM.