Thread: Post Your UI

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    This is my newest UI, it's brand new so expect a few tweaks Any suggestions welcome

Out of raid: http://i.imgur.com/0h4k5.jpg (note the raid bars in center were there cuz I was testing something they won't be there normally)

Before a LFR pull: http://i.imgur.com/PPOzd.jpg

During a fight: http://i.imgur.com/L34x2.jpg

Note some small things, like a frame out of place etc would been changed aswell as some buttons here and there.
    Also the bottom buttons are more centered along with my raid frames now too.

I personally think this is quite tidy, it's smaller than how it may look on the pictures the scaling of everything , windowed mode at the time might show them to be bigger hehe

Quote Originally Posted by Azshira View Post
    This is my newest UI, ..
    I've always been curious about something I see commonly in 'self-made' UIs.

In your specific case; why is it that you use Sexymap?

The mod is great for several reasons, and I use it myself in just about every UI I make nowadays.

But what is it you feel you're getting out of it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Okay, I'm pretty happy with this. But in your critique keep this in mind. All the fonts are fine on my screen, all of them are at 8pt and are not distorted or anything its just my super fucking mega res that i have on my macbook .

Tell me whatcha think, I'm defiantly moving in the correct direction this time.

Oh and I only have a idle shot for now because I'm a lazy bum !

http://i.imgur.com/oF0WI.jpg

When a wild forum troll appears

Last edited by mmocba105e19de; 2012-08-15 at 08:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishtara View Post
    Post a shot with all frames showing
    here it is (blah bad quality everything looks a lot worse)

I was thinking to make them a little bigger so i can put names into the healthbars, mirroring the style of player/target for pet/tot. Unsure on what do with the focus frame. Positions can be changed by everyone since all frames are draggable, setting the default ones isn't a problem.

Waiting or feedback ish

EDIT:
    while i was waiting, i made the other edits you suggested, here's a screen

chatbox is exactly over the datatext panel. Anyway it's scripted so when you press enter to type, the datatext panel hides away.
    Last edited by Coldkil; 2012-08-15 at 08:44 AM.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricen View Post
    Okay, I'm pretty happy with this. But in your critique keep this in mind. All the fonts are fine on my screen, all of them are at 8pt and are not distorted or anything its just my super fucking mega res that i have on my macbook .

Tell me whatcha think, I'm defiantly moving in the correct direction this time.

Oh and I only have a idle shot for now because I'm a lazy bum !

http://i.imgur.com/oF0WI.jpg
    Brace yourself!
    I'm kidding, it's only minor issues now
    http://screencast.com/t/EPJETAh3

EDIT: The issue with the chat font is better, but on some letters (q, y, p, g, j) the bottom bits hang down and overlap. It's not that much of an issue though :P
    Last edited by Pixil; 2012-08-15 at 10:54 AM.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowt View Post
    I've always been curious about something I see commonly in 'self-made' UIs.

In your specific case; why is it that you use Sexymap?

The mod is great for several reasons, and I use it myself in just about every UI I make nowadays.

But what is it you feel you're getting out of it?
    I just always liked the look of sexymap had it since end of WOTLK. I just think the standard is very plan and I always liked the one you see in my pics.

---------- Post added 2012-08-15 at 12:32 PM ----------

Minor tweaks and this is fullscreen, it still looks larger than reality in-game but what can ya do :P

http://i.imgur.com/VLj4w.jpg

PS. Some of the missing buttons are to make way for MoP copying my beta layout pretty much (which get changed around bit by bit)
    Last edited by Azshira; 2012-08-15 at 11:34 AM.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixil View Post
    snip
    I want pretty arrow critique on mine! Even though I haven't played for three-ish weeks (;

http://i.imgur.com/Ro9rt.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by carebear View Post
    I want pretty arrow critique on mine! Even though I haven't played for three-ish weeks (;

Care! You do realise that my UI is mainly stolen from yours haha. However this one is different from the one I stole many moons ago so I'll have a go at reviewing it :P
    Here we go... http://screencast.com/t/5BRuJAwP8ib

Like I've said before, please take it as constructive criticism, rather than me ripping into your UI!

Quote Originally Posted by Azshira View Post
    I just always liked the look of sexymap had it since end of WOTLK. I just think the standard is very plan and I always liked the one you see in my pics.
    As a graphics designer it just makes me want to tear my eyes out.

Not because the minimap doesn't look great, but because it doesn't even remotely go with the rest of the UI.

To speak about the rest of your UI: There's a million things I'd do to it, but I'll run through basics.

First of all, you have two Player frames, and I don't know why you'd have that.

I'd definitely change the texture of the Unit frames. The current texture makes the UI look bulgy, which contributes to the entire UI looking messy. I'd also reduce the width on all frames (save for ToT). It would save you a lot of screen space, and there is little reason you'd need them that wide in the first place.

Your Unit frames aren't set up at all, and have the out-of-the-box settings. For example, ontop of having two Player frames, you also have two Cast bars.

You have unnecessary information on both your Player and Target frames. For example, I doubt you will forget your own name/level/class/race. It doesn't need to be there. Furthermore, you don't need to write out the class of your Target frame, if you're going to have its Health bar in class colour. Race is also rarely important to know, and so you can save more space by removing that from the Target frame, too.

Your Mana bars are really a lot thicker than they have to be.

Your ToT frame is a simple copy of your Target frame, but at a reduced size. Text on ToT is almost unreadable. Also, you don't actually need most of that information available.

Font colour. The font colour on your Player/Target/ToT, Boss mods, Action bars, Cast bar and buffs is white. But the font colour of your raid frames is yellow (and also barely readable). I'd use class colour for names across the entire UI, and colour the Health bars in a single colour instead of having them in class colour. This would give you a much more consistent design, while still holding the same functionality.

The font is also different on your Cast bar.

You don't need your Bags bar to be displayed. Especially if you're running a Bag addon. You can also make the menu bar only visible on mouse-over to save you some more space. I'm sure you can find a more suitable placement for your Aura bar.

.. And then we come to the Minimap. As I said before; it does not suit the UI. But if you're adamant on keeping it, you should fine new free space in your bottom-right corner after removing the Bags/Menu bars. This would make it look more in place. And you could then re-align your buffs to the side of your screen.

I also would not have that many Action bars visible, but then you appear to be a clicker. If you could go down to only having one bar at the bottom of your UI, you could save even more screen space.

And your Player and Target frames do not appear to be aligned.

Anyway, good luck.
    Last edited by Cowt; 2012-08-15 at 02:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post

chatbox is exactly over the datatext panel. Anyway it's scripted so when you press enter to type, the datatext panel hides away.
    would you mind sharing that code/script? <3

10+ Year Old Account

These god damn arrow critiques are gonna become a fad!

When a wild forum troll appears

Datatext panel is a separate frame created through standard means. It can be whatever you want.

Code for edit box is this
    Code:
    _G['ChatFrame1EditBox']:SetScript("OnShow", function(self) _G["dataTextPanel"]:Hide() end)
    _G['ChatFrame1EditBox']:SetScript("OnHide", function(self) _G["dataTextPanel"]:Show() end)
    keep in mind that this should be into a for cycle, otherwise it wouls work only for first chat frame and not for the others.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    Datatext panel is a separate frame created through standard means. It can be whatever you want.

Code for edit box is this
    Code:
    _G['ChatFrame1EditBox']:SetScript("OnShow", function(self) _G["dataTextPanel"]:Hide() end)
    _G['ChatFrame1EditBox']:SetScript("OnHide", function(self) _G["dataTextPanel"]:Show() end)
    keep in mind that this should be into a for cycle, otherwise it wouls work only for first chat frame and not for the others.
    thanks so much : )

Deleted
    Hi guys. I just started reworking my UI, tho I got stuck right at the start. I want to use pixel fonts, but the problem is that with almost every pixel font the text is either overlapping next line or it's very close to it which makes it hard or impossible to read. Like in this picture:

That isn't the worst one but it's pretty annoying and in chat it looks even worse (chars like p, q, g, y are inside next line). Ss there any way to fix through game or the only way would be to edit the font file itself?

Also I could really use some help with vuhdo - I'm struggling with color settings as I can't use color picker plus or some addon of this kind to help me, I had to set color through addon's saved variables. That worked pretty well for healthbar color but when I edit background color (in-game or through saved variables) the resulting color is darker than it should be so I have to guess some lighter color to make it match. Do you know what could be causing that?
    Last edited by mmocba105e19de; 2012-08-15 at 04:10 PM.

I have to agree with Pixill here and say the debuff alpha thing you have going on looks really nice, Care. Any chance you could share the code your using for that so I can unscrupulously steal it?

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixil View Post
    Care! You do realise that my UI is mainly stolen from yours haha. However this one is different from the one I stole many moons ago so I'll have a go at reviewing it :P
    Here we go... http://screencast.com/t/5BRuJAwP8ib

Like I've said before, please take it as constructive criticism, rather than me ripping into your UI!
    Totally. Constructive criticism is always welcome in my eyes. I shall respond to you non-the-less!

The aura's that I was using, for both personal buffs and the over-all raiding debuffs were done using two copies of sFilter. One for me and one for the target that was modified to appear in combat and display whether the target has every possible debuff. Mainly for raid-leading and because I thought it looked nice.

As for the positioning of them I thought I'd try something that I once had a while ago similar to here and here. I used to have them where you suggested in the latest UI that I released seen here.

The actionbar is transparent because of stance dancing on a warrior and druid. I did start without an actionbar but having 10 classes and 20 different talent specs it got a little overwhelming trying to remember everything.

The quest tracker is something I have always wanted to change but I never found a simple way to change the font. Every one I found required downloading another addon with extras that I didn't want so I just made do with it.

The blue percentage is for mana, the white one is for health and the combat text was turned on by accident ): I actually had it turned off most of the time when I was playing.

But yeaaah. There was still a lot I wanted to do with the UI but my sub ran out and I won't be re-subbing until a bit into MOP for a month. I'll re-do something then with all the new toys and a new class to play with! If my step-sister didn't change her password I'd be able to have a mess around in 5.0.

Quote Originally Posted by Gymertron View Post
    I have to agree with Pixill here and say the debuff alpha thing you have going on looks really nice, Care. Any chance you could share the code your using for that so I can unscrupulously steal it?
    As said above it was a modified sFilter; I don't have the code right now, and there's a lot of it. I'll need to ask a friend who has a copy of that UI to send it to me because I uninstalled WoW when the subscription ran out.

---------- Post added 2012-08-15 at 06:23 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Sabraen View Post
    [img]picture with font problems![/img]
    It depends on the addons you're using. There's a piece of code that can help that's been posted recently.

ChatFrame1:SetSpacing(3)

That should fix your chat spacing, depending on the addon you're using and where to put that code. I used Phanxchat.

As for the raid; it seems like there'd be two different variables of code. One to set the position of the name and one to set the position of the health. It'd be as simple as moving the health down 2 or 3 pixels to fix it. Again this all depends on the addons you're using. Always helps to let us know which addons you're having trouble with so we can investigate it further.
    Last edited by Hulari; 2012-08-15 at 05:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabraen View Post
    That isn't the worst one but it's pretty annoying and in chat it looks even worse (chars like p, q, g, y are inside next line). Ss there any way to fix through game or the only way would be to edit the font file itself?
    Quote Originally Posted by tordenflesk View Post
    I use this to "fix" my chat frame:
    Code:
    for i = 1, NUM_CHAT_WINDOWS do
        local cf = _G[("ChatFrame%d"):format(i)]
        cf:SetFont("Interface\\Addons\\SharedMedia_MyMedia\\font\\Pixel.ttf", 8, "OUTLINEMONOCHROME")
        cf:SetSpacing(1)
        cf:SetShadowOffset(0, 0)
    end

DEFAULT_CHATFRAME_ALPHA = 0
    The SetFont part is optional though, and would have to be tailored for you.
    10char....

Deleted
    This is on my 27 inch screen, i am waiting for mists of pandaria to sort out ember / rune / combo points / holy power etc and spells to put on the bars although i have planned to make everything without a CD on hidden bars anyway.

http://i50.tinypic.com/30svzbt.jpg

Edit - Have already fixed the right bartender and target unit positioning, its centered now : )
    Last edited by mmoc77bb2b62ef; 2012-08-15 at 06:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AjayxD View Post
    This is on my 27 inch screen, ..
    The Chatbox should be aligned with the Minimap!

Also, the font for your Buff timers seem a bit large. I'd have them in the size of your HP numbers.

I'd also use the same spacing for the Raid frames, that you use for your Minimap. And not have them along the border of the bottom panel, but instead so that the spacing is even on all sides of every frame.

And the spacing between your Buffs does not appear to be the same as the spacing between Action buttons.

I'd also reverse the text lay-out of your Target frame, to mirror your Player frame. The HP bars can still move right-to-left, but your vision is centred, and so the vital information should be too. Doing the same to your ToT shouldn't be a must.

You have the option to play with more panels, too. Doing so would make it feel less stiff, and 'lift' the UI up quite a bit.
    Last edited by Cowt; 2012-08-15 at 06:29 PM.