Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Regional Restriction Info

http://en.support.guildwars2.com/app...tail/a_id/9184

Quote Originally Posted by ArenaNet
    How do I register from my region?

For customers in the North American and European regions, upon registration our servers will perform a one-time check to ensure your serial code matches the region you are connecting from. Customers in North America must register the North American version of the game; customers in Europe must register the European version of the game; customers in other regions may register either version. When you purchase the game from buy.guildwars2.com, you automatically will receive the correct version of the game.

After successfully completing account registration, your account becomes a global account, and you can roam to any part of the world and still access the game.

I travel frequently. Will I be able to play Guild Wars 2?

Yes. The one-time verification system simply confirms that you have purchased the correct version of the game for your area of the world. Once that has been confirmed, you may play from any location you desire.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-08-23 at 02:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post

I bet all the complainers feel a bit stupid now...
    No, they feel smart. Good to see the power of the customer complaints making companies buckle and backtrack on customer-hostile policies.

Well, they did say they were working on a fix.

Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    Well, they did say they were working on a fix.
    AFTER receiving a boatload of complaints from both continents, yes. Not before.

Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post

I bet all the complainers feel a bit stupid now...
    Your so-called "complainers that feel stupid" are the ones that got them to change what they were going to do. Nothing stupid about them at all.

Your post on the other hand...
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_ View Post
    AFTER receiving a boatload of complaints from both continents, yes. Not before.
    Incorrect they said they where working on a solution a long time before the pack of sheep started complaining.

Around the same time they made the announcement initially... way back in April before Prepurchase was available.
    Here are some answers and clarifications for you! First, if you purchase the game from https://buy.guildwars2.com/ you'll automatically be sorted into the right region.

And don't worry -- we want you to play with your friends wherever you are. This policy only affects where you can login from -- not which worlds you can access. People from NA will be able to play with people from EU at launch. We've got two datacenters -- one in NA and one in EU. Those who do not fall into either of those two regions will default to the NA datacenter.

Finally, we are aware that a lot of our players travel, and we are looking into a solution for you.

Hope that helps some! ~RB2
    ETA: That was April 6th
    Last edited by Cherrysoul; 2012-08-17 at 04:42 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherrysoul View Post
    Incorrect they said they where working on a solution a long time before the pack of sheep started complaining.
    Exactly.

They never intended to lock the game in an ongoing manner, it was only for purchase due to the obvious economic/partner issues. The details of the system hadn't been finalised, but for obvious reasons they needed to inform customers of the restrictions before they bought a copy of the game from the wrong region. Now that the system is in place, people are claiming it was because of their complaints, when in reality it was always going to be this.

It's like saying that if I complain enough the sun will come up tomorrow, and when it does, you have me to thank.

I <3 Mif, you made my night.

Quote Originally Posted by Cherrysoul View Post

Around the same time they made the announcement initially... way back in April before Prepurchase was available.
    Which caused immediate shitstorm on these forums among other places. Go back to that point using search and look. Other places were hit far harder, including arenanet's official channels. The "we're looking for alternatives" post only came after the initial shitstorm which clearly caught PR folks by surprise back then.

And dear mif, do share, if they intended to completely strip the geolocational lock, why pray tell did they tell us they would implement it and details about implementation in great detail in the first place? Why did they take months from initial release of information about geolock to actually telling us that yeah, it's cancelled.

But yeah, it's all about the sun going up. In other news for mif, Dorothy Gale called - she wants Scarecrow back.

10+ Year Old Account
    But yeah, it's all about the sun going up.
    Ironic coming from the king of negativity.
    Last edited by Mif; 2012-08-17 at 05:45 AM.

I'm currently stationed in Europe (U.S.A.F.). I only want to play the U.S. version of the game as all my friends and family are going to be playing on the U.S. servers obviously.

This basically says that I can't?

Or has anyone heard of a workaround for this situation? I've tried directly calling them...but that isn't working...The "help" desk isn't very helpful to say the least...

Do you think a friend of mine could log in the first time and then I could log in after that? Or would it become region locked or whatever because they'd see me logging in from an IP in the U.S. and then in England immediately afterwards?

They announced that they would work on a solution at the same time they made the announcement. It may have been the inevitable clarification post they always make half an hr after the lil post on guru....but yh, same bloody difference.

Ppl :/

Also.....was very happy to read about non-EU-US regions being able to use either version
    Last edited by Squirrelbanes; 2012-08-17 at 05:59 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sahja View Post
    I'm currently stationed in Europe (U.S.A.F.). I only want to play the U.S. version of the game as all my friends and family are going to be playing on the U.S. servers obviously.

Or has anyone heard of a workaround for this situation? I've tried directly calling them...but that isn't working...The "help" desk isn't very helpful to say the least...

Do you think a friend of mine could log in the first time and then I could log in after that? Or would it become region locked or whatever because they'd see me logging in from an IP in the U.S. and then in England immediately afterwards?
    If it came to it you could try using a decent proxy or vpn.
    Her hall is called Eljudnir,
    her dish is Hunger,
    her knife is Famine,
    her slave is Lazy,
    and Slothful is her woman servant.

Buy an EU version of the game...you can choose a US home server. But, you will be on the EU datacenter.

Deleted
    Which caused immediate shitstorm on these forums among other places.

Still there isnt have an addon-macro support or flying ponies (easier things to implant), even with the fanbases and official forums shitstorming Arenet every time ....
    So the community dont have 100% the upperhand on Arenanet . But <<they>> simply procced as they plan :P
    Last edited by mmocd9c65c8d53; 2012-08-17 at 06:08 AM.

Sometime after the release of Guild Wars 2, we will introduce free "guesting,”
    I hope they don't wait too long to implement that. I'm looking forward to taking established EU characters over to US servers to guest while I play with US friends.

Deleted
    Posted this in the one thread last night when the info came out, way ahead of you Mif

Deleted
    This thread makes me really want to necro this.

Deleted

I'd say just let someone in the US buy and register the game for you, and then this someone just sends you the login data.

Data centers are just the place were they physically have their servers. EU data center have the european servers. US data center have the US server. You cant connect to the EU servers to play on US servers.

As an example in GW1. When you are in the European district then you are connected to the EU data center and their servers. When you switch to American district you reconnect to the US data center and their servers.
    Last edited by Lillpapps; 2012-08-17 at 12:05 PM.