Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Single, always in my opinion. Doubles are usually cheesy

Quote Originally Posted by WorldofWorkcraft View Post
    There is nothing better than naming yourself Carly Rae Jepsen. Nothing.
    +1000
    I hope to reserve some FF cast names. <3
    Call me....maybe.

I like naming my characters silly names. during the stress tests, my human Thief was named Really Not A Thief, and my Charr Engineer Kittyandtoys (I made that last one before I realized I could use spaces). I think I would prefer to use spaces. Especially if I use multiword names. But that's the original question, isn't it: to use names with one word or a couple? I choose many.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenlol View Post
    Single, always in my opinion. Doubles are usually cheesy
    ANet is giving you interesting and meaningful choices to make in defining your character starting from creation... yet people don't give any thought to/put any effort into their name. Makes me sad.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    So I'm hoping to grab a single name for my Guardian but I am curious as to whether double names can share the first single name as one which is already taken.

So, lets say I want to call my Guardian, eh, Cookie but it's taken. Would I be able to use the name Cookie Monster and it'll work since it's really an entirely different name or does it go off of the first name?

By the way, that's not really going to be the name.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustweaver View Post
    So I'm hoping to grab a single name for my Guardian but I am curious as to whether double names can share the first single name as one which is already taken.

So, lets say I want to call my Guardian, eh, Cookie but it's taken. Would I be able to use the name Cookie Monster and it'll work since it's really an entirely different name or does it go off of the first name?

By the way, that's not really going to be the name.
    No, they will not block a name with the first forename.

You could have 3 characters, for example:

Cookie
    Cookie One
    Cookie Two

And all three are valid names.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ah, fantastic! So if I'm slow to the punch I'll just improvise something title-ish or hop servers till I can get it.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustweaver View Post
    Ah, fantastic! So if I'm slow to the punch I'll just improvise something title-ish or hop servers till I can get it.
    Hopping servers won't have any effect, names are reserved across the entire game.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-08-17 at 06:48 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Deleted
    What's left now is only the guessing game of how many variations of 'Legolas,' 'Arthas' and 'Sephiroth' we will see in-game, as well as the pretty much GUARANTEED pony names you will undoubtedly encounter.

I, personally, would actively avoid these people. I love Pinkie Pie, she's great, but I would avoid someone who calls their character Pinkie Pie. Seriously, if you're a brony also and reading this: Don't name your character after a pony unless the character's name is also your pony OC.

Just to add a tip. If you delete a character, the name is reserved to you for 24 hours. So after you got the name you want, take your time to create your character as you like
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by papajohn4 View Post
    Just to add a tip. If you delete a character, the name is reserved to you for 24 hours. So after you got the name you want, take your time to create your character as you like
    Oh thats cool, thanks for the tip

Deleted
    Always just went for a single name simply cause I never found a cool last name

The way I see this is that whenever a NPC refers to you they use your whole name. I personally prefer when they use a first name rather than a first and last name because first and last always seems awkward.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by papajohn4 View Post
    How do I know you're telling the truth? :3

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinnamohn View Post
    How do I know you're telling the truth? :3
    Here's the source - (screenshot because the forums are no longer accessable) http://i.imgur.com/ihkPI.png

In Guild Wars, the period of “suspension” for a name — that is, the time it’s bound to your account and cannot be used by anyone else — is about 24 hours.

UPDATE: Confirmed with our Excellent Server Team Leader: We will have the same system in Guild Wars 2. There is a 24-hour “cool down” period before a deleted character’s name is generally available. This gives you time to build a new character and still use the same name.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamanic View Post
    Here's the source - (screenshot because the forums are no longer accessable) http://i.imgur.com/ihkPI.png
    Was too good to be true.
    I was afraid of having to spam the login server and rush through character creation to get my name reserved.

10+ Year Old Account
    Even WoW reserves character names to accounts for a period of time after initial character creation. It's just that nobody's had to think about that since WoW's launch 7 years ago.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Deleted
    i think ill be going for a 2 word name

Quote Originally Posted by plantation View Post
    Sort of off topic, but if I wanted the name "Legolas" and it was already taken, could I name my character "Legolas Firebreath" or something like that? So in other words does having a single word name (Legolas) block two word names (Legolas Firebreath) from being created?
    i|m soooo taking that name. SORRIBRAH xxx Legolas Firebreath