Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

If eSports becomes really big..

If eSports become like huge in the next 10 years and starts being used the olympics, is there a possibility of schools "teaching" gaming in the future?

There is speculation going on that we will see eSport games at the olympics as soon as 2020! Do you think it will happen or is it just pure bs?

Personally i would like to see gaming being something featured at the Olympics, i mean they have tons of sports featured at the olympics which i didnt even know fell under the category of sports.

10+ Year Old Account
    I personally would like to see naked women gymnastics but that's never gonna happen, esport at the Olympics you been sniffing paint thinner.
    I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is back on the scene! I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is my name, and fuckin' up motherfuckers is my game!

I don't ever see it happening, unless there are significant advances in the technology behind Kinect and the Wii. The Olympics are focused on physical prowess and mental strength. I don't see gaming really fitting into that in our lifetimes.

I don't think it will be in the olympics ever. Simply due to it not being a "physical" sport. But I do think it will get bigger and that we will see more of it on tv.

Deleted
    I think esport does not even fulfill the criteria to become olympic.
    If i recall correctly there are no engines allowed. because of that sports like formula 1 will never be olympic.

10+ Year Old Account
    At the olympics it will never happen. eSports simply doesnt fit the Physical/Mental thingie.
    Then again.. i guess it depends on the game, chess is an officially reckognized sport by the IOC. And gaming ..well games like LoL and Sc2 fall into that same category. Then again fps dont fit that picture well. But maybe, we might see some form of an RTS included into the olympics.
    It has though one other problem... and that is balance, no game as large as LoL or Sc2 can ever achieve 100% balance. Like a board game like chess can, so it might purely on that ground already never happen.

Well i read it on an official norwegian newspaper site (no not a minor local newspaper, but the largest one in the country) and they stated that they believed we would be seeing SC2 like games in the 2020 Olympics.

Also, even though they were not in this years olympics, auto-racing and chess (which is the closest thing to eSport games regarding olympics) are considered to be sports viable for the Olympics.

Heh, the "eSports in the Olympics speculation" comes from the head of Riot, who have a vested interest in seeing eSports thrive.

That's like Rovio (the mobile developer that makes Angry Birds and...well...Angry Birds) commenting on how consoles are dead and mobile gaming is the future. They have a vested interest in promoting that notion, but are completely full of shit.

eSports is almost on that level of success already in Korea. There's actual channels dedicated to professional Starcraft, for example. I can't see video games being an Olympic sport or being taught in schools though. The majority of people are completely ignorant and give bad connotations to it. Yesterday I showed a member of my family the recent Red Bull tournament, since she didn't believe me that people actually make money off playing video games.

Her response? "I guess people shouldn't complain about their kids playing games all day now." Damn right they shouldn't! \o/
    Last edited by Larynx; 2012-08-19 at 01:54 AM.

I don't think the world will ever want e-sports in the olympics, or to be even a real sport. There are WAY too many people against it.

Gamers these days already have a bad reputation in the crowd. If e-sports become sports or be in the olympics, imagine all the extra shitstorms gamers will get.

Also its kinda insulting to real athletes or just sportsmen.

Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    You probably shouldn't use this argument.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think the world will ever want e-sports in the olympics, or to be even a real sport. There are WAY too many people against it.

Gamers these days already have a bad reputation in the crowd. If e-sports become sports or be in the olympics, imagine all the extra shitstorms gamers will get.

Um, how exactly? Take Korean Starcraft players for instance. They spend everyday playing Starcraft in order to get better, just like how Olympians train their bodies. Just because video gaming isn't physical, doesn't mean it doesn't take real effort.

As for the whole Olympics thing, well that's probably never gonna happen, because, as others have said, the Olympics are a physical event. Although, I think it's quite possible that we'll start seeing gaming events on TV kinda like sports, although it will probably never get to the popularity of the NFL or NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by Shootandkill View Post
    Just because video gaming isn't physical, doesn't mean it doesn't take real effort.
    I doubt anybody's saying that. It's a different type of effort, but it's still effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarahjane View Post
    mental strength
    Well claiming that at least this part doesn't suit "esports" as well seems incredibly blind.
    Honestly hope though it doesn't get bigger than it is now.
    Last edited by cFortyfive; 2012-08-19 at 02:17 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by starkey View Post
    I personally would like to see naked women gymnastics but that's never gonna happen, esport at the Olympics you been sniffing paint thinner.
    Hahahahaha. Truth. That's just waayyyy out there in right field.

10+ Year Old Account
    Um, how exactly? Take Korean Starcraft players for instance. They spend everyday playing Starcraft in order to get better, just like how Olympians train their bodies. Just because video gaming isn't physical, doesn't mean it doesn't take real effort.

As for the whole Olympics thing, well that's probably never gonna happen, because, as others have said, the Olympics are a physical event. Although, I think it's quite possible that we'll start seeing gaming events on TV kinda like sports, although it will probably never get to the popularity of the NFL or NBA.
    I fully agree, practising Starcraft II for ~12 hours a day is really exhausting. I hope eSport can become bigger tho - not into the olympics tho. In some years we might have this dialog with a randomchick @ party;
    - "What are you doing when not studying/Working then?"
    - "I'm playing Starcraft 2"
    - "WOAH, what league?"
    - "Master"
    - "Ohhh my goood ! Awesome! <333"

Imagine that.
    Last edited by Chrysopoeia; 2012-08-19 at 02:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by whoranzone View Post
    Well claiming that at least this part doesn't suit "esports" as well seems incredibly blind.
    Don't cherry-pick words out of context. I said "physical prowess and mental strength." Mental strength or mental toughness refers to using your mind to push your body harder, "mind over matter" in a way. It's a sports cliché, but there's not really a better word for it.

Playing Starcraft and train your body is not the same if you ask me. With Starcraft you sit on your chair, rush your opponent and stuff, you don't train to get stronger, faster or anything. The only thing you use are your hands to smash buttons, I don't see how thats compareble with body training. Ofcourse you do need to know the strategies, but its just not the same. It does look pretty stupid for a game to be a sport, it'll never be accepted in this world.

10+ Year Old Account
    eSports are very cyclic thing and have been for awhile now.

Besides the starcraft \ SKorea phenomenon (even in korea it isn't a huge deal, its kind of like professorial wrestling for the US), eSports in the western culture has never really caught on enough to live on its own. Every few years you will see a game become popular enough to start some rise in eSports (quake, CS, starcraft2) but as we are starting to see with SC2, they just slowly fade away until the next big game comes out. Although, to be fair, there is a good chance that if our players were actually competitive with the Koreans that SC2 might have continued to get bigger, but since we aren't it seems a lot of fans have simply stopped caring.

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends.. olympics also have shooting arrows/duck shooting/normal shooting etc as a sport.
    I guess atleast in my opinion it has always been like:

All sports that are not physically intensive. Are more or less insulting to the people who do sports like gymnastics, running, swimming etc.
    I consider all those "real sports" while things like shooting arrows/shooting with a gun even if its a long long distance far less of a sport. And i guess i would agree if you phrased it like:

"Also its kinda insulting to athletes who take part in a physical sport."