Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Will people not GET this game?

Not in the sense of purchase...but like...comprehension...

my biggest concern with this game, is that people just wont understand that it isnt like anything else theyve ever played.
    Levels are just like...something you breeze through, expecting an AMAZING end game experiance, its like an adventure, that you can decide what road you take, and have a blast every time.

Meh its just something that crossed my mind. Its something that happens to new things alo.t

I can see that yes. Indoctrination is a difficult addiction to drop.

I see many people starting the way you said, leaving for a month or two, to come back later and THEN get the game.

I honestly don't think this game is as different and special as some people make it sound. At least to me.
    (not saying it's bad, after all I already bought it)
    The advantage of the dreamer is that he never has to face the chains of reality.
    Blackhand[EU] - Mistral

10+ Year Old Account
    A few of my friends in my guild are buying it for PvP and only that. I plan on joining them in my off time when I'm not playing Mists of Pandaria. Nothing else grabs me to buy it apart from the WvW etc as I am comfortable with the "wow model" at the moment.

Because some of us have different opinions and views. Don't get me wrong I can't wait to finally get to the endgame pve stuff and play my face off for weeks in wvw, but I don't think it will be keeping me interested for years. I don't think that the game is the second coming of Christ, and I can clearly see that events are still quests with better lipstick on. Of course there is a whole lot of fresh stuff in GW2 and I do have hopes that it will set the bar very high for any future games.

I expect for the first month or so, the Map chat for the starting zones will be filled with people saying they are underleveled to progress further, having done only the heart events like a checklist and ignoring/not following up on the dynamic events going on around them. When people tell them about the events and how you get loads of exp by just exploring, crafting, gathering, etc, then it'll quiet down and many will realize that this isn't a "rush to the end" type of game.

Im worried people will skip everything in the name of the ever loved XP for the sake of leveling and then getting to the end game and be bored because guess what.. they went through the game and its events and missed 90% of it due to the race to level. Thats what im worried about. Sure there is more to do after 80 but still... the leveling experience from 1-80 is a big chunk of the game and if you miss it due to trying to only get XP (not listening to the story, doing the events as fast as possible) then you miss out on a lot of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistral View Post
    I honestly don't think this game is as different and special as some people make it sound. At least to me.
    (not saying it's bad, after all I already bought it)
    i mean it isnt like MIND blowing, but its definitely not mainstream.

Not sure this thread is going to last long, these tend to degenerate to game vs game prety quick dispite whatever intentions the OP has. That said Different strokes for different folks. This game is amazing IMO, but to some people WoW is amazing still to them. That is good, more choices leads to competition. competitition leads to developers being pressed to do more, do better. That is good for all of us. Some will try it and stay. Some will try it and leave. Some will try it, leave, and then return eventualy. Some will never try it (feel sorry for those poor souls as they are missing out). Anyway best is a matter of opinion and personal taste and since best for everybody at once is impossible the next best alternitive is lots of choices so each can find their own.

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by mofo View Post
    I expect for the first month or so, the Map chat for the starting zones will be filled with people saying they are underleveled to progress further, having done only the heart events like a checklist and ignoring/not following up on the dynamic events going on around them. When people tell them about the events and how you get loads of exp by just exploring, crafting, gathering, etc, then it'll quiet down and many will realize that this isn't a "rush to the end" type of game.
    the first month is always difficult in any MMO...chat is full of "wow sucks, this game is awesome" and contrary "this game sucks, I quit and going back to wow"..I ve yet to find a game, and have played every single MMo that is out there, to not have these things on chat the first month...so in my opinion, messages from people whine about they are underleveled to progress it will be the least that worries me.
    Last edited by papajohn4; 2012-08-19 at 10:40 PM.
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

If you can't comprehend GW2 then maybe you should be getting an education with your free time instead of gaming. Just my 2 cents.

Let's be nice. Not everyone instantly grasps every concept they encounter, so there's no need to be rude. -Edge
    Last edited by Edge-; 2012-08-20 at 07:38 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by iCandy View Post
    If you can't comprehend GW2 then maybe you should be getting an education with your free time instead of gaming. Just my 2 cents.
    Well.. that was a bit rude.

i think the only people that won't get it are the people buying it with the expectation that its going to be like wow or some other game they are comparing it to in their minds.
    They will use excuses on why they don't like it, but they were expecting a wow 2.0 and didn't get it. But on the other hand maybe some buyers will feel they were mislead and were really expecting a different game, but honestly with all the info out there on this game you should have a pretty good idea of what its like.

Quote Originally Posted by MMOTotal View Post
    Well.. that was a bit rude.
    I meant people in general..I wasn't pointing at anyone here. In fact, I didn't even read anyone's post except the OP's.

What I mean is, games aren't meant to boggle our minds to the point of not being able to comprehend them. GW2 is no different, yes it has some complexity about it, but nothing that can't be learned in game or on the wiki.

If they come into GW2 thinking they will get spoonfed tooltips, hints and info like some other popular MMO's then they came into the game with the wrong mentality. A little research never hurt anyone.
    Last edited by iCandy; 2012-08-19 at 10:54 PM.

I fully expect to see level 80's in chat saying there're bored and the game sucks a week after the game comes out.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zalavaaris View Post
    Im worried people will skip everything in the name of the ever loved XP for the sake of leveling and then getting to the end game and be bored because guess what.. they went through the game and its events and missed 90% of it due to the race to level. Thats what im worried about. Sure there is more to do after 80 but still... the leveling experience from 1-80 is a big chunk of the game and if you miss it due to trying to only get XP (not listening to the story, doing the events as fast as possible) then you miss out on a lot of the game.
    Well it is exactly what everyone does in other games... You could argue that games like wow are not played the right way, since most people haven't done all the quests in all the zones. It's gonna be hard to convince people to start doing something they do not enjoy doing in other games simply because it's the only thing you can do in this game.

Quote Originally Posted by neuk View Post
    I fully expect to see level 80's in chat saying there're bored and the game sucks a week after the game comes out.
    People that rush to 80 that quickly should get a week ban for stupidity.

Deleted
    I expect this too. Then they will leave and the rest of us can enjoy the post lvl 80 part of the game Anet has provided for us.

10+ Year Old Account
    This happens with every new MMO. Most vocally with SWTOR (awesome levelling) then people hit level cap and that is where it goes downhill. The initial surge and hype fuels the furnace then the hype dies and people leave with it.

I have purposely not followed the development of this game for that reason. I played the starting experiences and dipped into WvW so I don't spoil it.