Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolke View Post
    abilities cause the branded effect on the opponent
    O_o

Brilliant!

I'm toying mostly with the idea of finding ways to "empower" the skills on your weapon, to be more powerful and/or have additional effects while empowered. I still think the profession skills could be best as little cooldowns, fueled by some sort of resource, which you can activate to empower your skills for a short period of time.
    I was thinking of marking/branding as a sort of secondary mechanic. Just as, while a Thief has initiative, he also works a lot with Steal. And stealth. And shadowstep.

Perhaps the two concepts could be tied somehow. I like the idea of the #1 skill (in the case of chain skills, the third hit), applying some kind of mark, or a branded effect, to the enemy, which you can consume with other skills for an additional effect.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-08-20 at 06:38 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    O_o

Brilliant!

I'm toying mostly with the idea of finding ways to "empower" the skills on your weapon, to be more powerful and/or have additional effects while empowered. I still think the profession skills could be best as little cooldowns, fueled by some sort of resource, which you can activate to empower your skills for a short period of time.
    I was thinking of marking/branding as a sort of secondary mechanic. Just as, while a Thief has initiative, he also works a lot with Steal. And stealth. And shadowstep.

Perhaps the two concepts could be tied somehow. I like the idea of the #1 skill (in the case of chain skills, the third hit), applying some kind of mark, or a branded effect, to the enemy, which you can consume with other skills for an additional effect.
    Perhaps the specific empowering could also alter the brand?

O_o

Brilliant!

Maybe the resource can be tied in to the Brand effect so that every time it ticks the power bar fills up and at 50% gives benefit X to all attacks and at 100% fives benefit X plus some time deffensive boon. The idea is that when in the thick of meele with multiple opponents, hitting all of them with aoe gives you an offensive way to boost your survivability.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe the resource can be tied in to the Brand effect so that every time it ticks the power bar fills up and at 50% gives benefit X to all attacks and at 100% fives benefit X plus some time deffensive boon. The idea is that when in the thick of meele with multiple opponents, hitting all of them with aoe gives you an offensive way to boost your survivability.
    Ok this kicks my ideas ass. Though i still say having your attack altered in some way would really set it apart.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    Ok this kicks my ideas ass. Though i still say having your attack altered in some way would really set it apart.
    That could easily be done for one of the abilities, just like a Thiefs poisons. Im just afraid the mechanic would become to bloated at some point and or scale to well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hrm. Renekton-style? I have to admit, that sounds a little too close to adrenaline, so was hoping to keep away from that.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Hrm. Renekton-style? I have to admit, that sounds a little too close to adrenaline, so was hoping to keep away from that.
    They are similar, but at a certain level so is the Necros life force bar. Doing damage to fuel a class ability isnt unique to the warrior and the intent is also different. The warrior uses adrenaline to power up a specific attack, the dragoon would use the Brand to add extra abilities to current attacks and deffense.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dervish for sure. I loved the class thematic (the whole avatar thing was particularly cool), and hooded-and-cloaked holy warriors running around with scythes was just textbook awesome.

Paragon was hit and miss for me.
    Last edited by Zaelsino; 2012-08-20 at 10:00 PM.

Deleted
    Yes, definitely the Dervish for me too.
    I also still like the idea of the Death Knight, the necromancer in plate.

Sure. Perhaps the core mechanic could be that abilities cause the branded effect on the opponent causing the Dragooners attack to extra damage to the target. F1 could be used as a sort of detonate causing the dots to explode for AoE damage based on stack count.
    This right here is exactly what I was looking for. A core mechanic that doesn't feel like a Guardian or a Warrior, but one into and of itself.

Branding targets, and how your skills will interact with that before and after, this can now be built into the profession as a whole. But this right here, this is huge, and I love it.

/sold
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    This right here is exactly what I was looking for. A core mechanic that doesn't feel like a Guardian or a Warrior, but one into and of itself.

Branding targets, and how your skills will interact with that before and after, this can now be built into the profession as a whole. But this right here, this is huge, and I love it.

/sold
    What?

Pray tell, how is pushing a button that causes your #1-5 skills to be extra powerful and cause additional effects similar to Warrior or Guardian?
    By additional effect, I don't mean "Your next attack causes burning" I mean that each individual skill is empowered in it's own fashion, similar to this and this.

That link is precisely why I accused you of posting merely for the sake of harassing the crap out of me. Try reading the last paragraph, instead of just the first line, please.

And more importantly, are you sure, as a person with a mesmer signature, that mechanic you're sold on isn't similar to another profession?
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-08-20 at 11:18 PM.

Sure. Perhaps the core mechanic could be that abilities cause the branded effect on the opponent causing the Dragooners attack to extra damage to the target. F1 could be used as a sort of detonate causing the dots to explode for AoE damage based on stack count.
    Sounds like an oversimplified mesmer.

With new weapon types a guardian could easily fill the "Dragon Knight" role.

10+ Year Old Account
    To move on to something else entirely since the Dragoon/Dragon Knight concept has taken up so much of the thread, and I was looking at LoL stuff anyways...

I wonder how we could come up with a "Crystal Knight" concept, while keeping it unique? O_o
    Taric is too much like a Guardian, but crystals have so many possibilities. They truly are outrageous.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-08-20 at 11:16 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    To move on to something else entirely since the Dragoon/Dragon Knight concept has taken up so much of the thread, and I was looking at LoL stuff anyways...

I wonder how we could come up with a "Crystal Knight" concept, while keeping it unique? O_o
    Taric is too much like a Guardian, but crystals have so many possibilities. They truly are outrageous.
    Well, the Dragon/Dragoon Knight was probably the best idea pitched in a while for a western mmo imo.

Please do elaborate on Crystal Knights, how do they work and how do their crystal function work?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asseymcgee View Post
    Please do elaborate on Crystal Knights, how do they work and how do their crystal function work?
    Well. Really just a random idea. I've not really got anything specific in mind for it.

Ends up being rather similar to Guardian, unfortunately, if I just base it off Taric, so not sure how I'd do it.

Maybe they should just get a crystal-inspired set of soldier armor. :<
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-08-21 at 12:49 AM.

What about a class whose powers are based on musical elements. Sound Master.

Each theme of music gives you different abilities. Techno would give you long range melee with a focus in buffs. Metal/rock would give you heavy melee basis. Punk/hiphop would would give you a thief basis. Classical would give you a priestly feel. Each would have a unique feel to them tho. For example punk would give you dark shadow powers or techno could boost your skills through glow. Weapons could alter there appearance to fit the theme you choose as a playstyle.

It sounds way better in my head than what I feel like typing. Of course the musical tone of each class won't be mentioned in-game. The class would just master the element of soundwaves. But in a neat way

Throwing daggers around like glowsticks or hitting enemies with guitar axes at opponents would be cool tho.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheEaterofSouls View Post
    What about a class whose powers are based on musical elements. Sound Master.
    Well, that's basically a bard, but surely they could come up with a unique twist on it. I take it you're thinking of Sona.

I'm seeing... no overlying theme outside of corruption. But they should get Minions! Shadowknights with minions. Because that's clearly never been done before. They should have an Aggressive feel so they're not Guardians, but Warriors also feel very aggressively oriented. So further elaboration was needed as to how the two would be different.

But most of this post here is focusing on the lore behind them and turning that into a concept class. Not how it would work, which is what I (and others) were asking to explore, but further iteration on how lore makes it an awesome class... Classic WoW Ret Paladins had decent lore and a "concept" but no execution, no thought. This was your post. A post in which I flat out told you I was looking for more.

I had intended (if I hadn't been at work) to take a closer look at the weapon empowerment idea, but if each skill shifted as much as that, I was kind of concerned that it would feel very tool-kit like, similar to either the Engineer that we already see, but charge limited like the Elementalist's conjured weapons?

Pray tell, how is pushing a button that causes your #1-5 skills to be extra powerful and cause additional effects similar to Warrior or Guardian?
    By additional effect, I don't mean "Your next attack causes burning" I mean that each individual skill is empowered in it's own fashion, similar to this and this.
    I don't play League, so it really wasn't really something that drew me in. Though, is each of your intended "Dragon Knight's" abilities supposed to have a chain? Because I'm not really seeing how it would transition between one skillset or the other one (is that where toolkits/elemental attunements come in)? Does that remove the ability for a Dragon Knight to weaponswap as well?

And more importantly, are you sure, as a person with a mesmer signature, that mechanic you're sold on isn't similar to another profession?
    I most definitely don't follow. Are you implying a Mesmer does more damage and gains access to new combat mechanics when fighting a target that he/she has branded? Because I'm really not seeing that mechanic anywhere. Across any professions, let alone a Mesmer. Could you please enlighten me as to what, praytell, I might be missing?
    That link is precisely why I accused you of posting merely for the sake of harassing the crap out of me. Try reading the last paragraph, instead of just the first line, please.
    Drake, Drake, Drake, I'm flattered really, but when will you learn that not everything needs to be about you?
    Last edited by Kelesti; 2012-08-21 at 01:33 AM.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Well, that's basically a bard, but surely they could come up with a unique twist on it. I take it you're thinking of Sona.
    here's what I was thinking. It would work like an elementalist only you can use 2 weapon sets with the 4 schools of magic/choices

The musical themes could be given better names as well: you'd get 4 with cosmetic changes and optional weapon changes based on what you've got
    Bliss-classical/worship (angel wings or a halo) harp, violin, cello

upbeat-Techno/rave (rainbow aura,glowing orbs)glow sticks, nether swords

Gothic-rap/punk/hiphop (Pupaless shaded eyes,darkened silhouette) chakrams, shadow blades

enrage-metal/rock (Fire cloak, burning scars or eyes.) burning swords, guitar blades

Weapons: Horns, focus, 2h swords, daggers, MH swords

And no on Sona tho she seems to be a key basis imo.
    Last edited by TheEaterofSouls; 2012-08-21 at 01:25 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just wanna put this out there...

One thing we decided was that every profession would be playable by every race, because we didn’t want players to be in a position where they have to play a certain race they’re not as interested in because they want to play a certain profession.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/gamere...#ixzz24CXZg37x
    Never will they do race-specific professions. :P