Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Qauren View Post
    For all you people saying that there is no holy trinity, that's true in the classical sense of the phrase but don't forget about Boons and Conditions. There are going to be profession combinations that are just more optimal than others due to bringing some / all of the required buffs and debuffs. Some combos will just straight up synergise better too - particularly if explorable mode dungeons really are as balls hard as they are supposed to be.
    Correct, but saying you are bringing a guardian as 'tank' and ele as 'heals' isn't going to work.

For all you people saying that there is no holy trinity, that's true in the classical sense of the phrase but don't forget about Boons and Conditions. There are going to be profession combinations that are just more optimal than others due to bringing some / all of the required buffs and debuffs. Some combos will just straight up synergise better too - particularly if explorable mode dungeons really are as balls hard as they are supposed to be.
    I just simply don't want to class the game like that, once you start thinking like that it is just down hill from there
    "Bill Nye: So Todd I got an offer for you. You and me. Any time. Any place. Debating science mano- a-mano. I'll bring the facts, and you bring the Vaseline. Because your ass is gonna fucking need it when I'm done whipping."

Mr Eames: "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

10+ Year Old Account
    A defensive Guardian, an offensive aoe elementalist, a conditionmancer and shoutwarrior.

Any four. I have no preferences. That'd just ruin the point.

I mean, sure. There could be an optimal choice of professions to take. But that wouldn't be any fun.
    Last edited by StationaryHawk; 2012-08-22 at 08:49 AM.

From http://imperiouspariahs.enjin.com/fo...1705#p22251705

XV) Dungeons
    Dungeons in Guild wars 2 are large 5 man party missions that pose the greatest challenges and require the most teamwork. To put it into basic MMO terms it is a raid. The dungeons are throughout the world and vary in level requirements. Each dungeon has its own specific story and explorable modes to it, as well as its own unique challenges and rewards. With the removal of the trinity of MMO game play, you can literally take any make up of builds into the dungeons and emerge successful. Arenanet and players tested this with teams of all glass cannons, defensive, support, condition, etc. So there will will no longer be excluding players based on their profession or build choice, which makes the time forming a group that much faster. Dungeons Begin at level 30 and go every 10 levels until level 80

Trying to form a group based on old mmo mechanics just seems like a waste of time.
    Last edited by Bovver; 2012-08-22 at 09:11 AM.

The question of group comp may be more along the lines you may not want to have overlaps. As in having 3 staff elementals may not be as strong as having a staff, scepter and dagger elemental or three different professions altogether. But 2 may be ok ... or even encouraged for cd rotations and what not.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

It won't be a limitation of the professions it will be based on the players. There is no trinity, sure there are still control support and dps, but that's all going to be up to players specs, not the classes themselves. all classes can fill all the roles.

7 rogues!!! I know you all excited about gw2 coming out in just a few days, but holy shit why do we need to many new topics every 35 seconds about gw2 :O

If you don't like the section, don't post here? --Kel
    Last edited by Kelesti; 2012-08-23 at 01:46 AM.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    1 Guardian, 1 Elementalist, 2 w/e.
    Last edited by Ave07; 2012-08-22 at 10:25 AM.

Deleted
    Five thieves with tripwire.. those mobs will scrape their knees so much that they will just give up!

Even thro there is no holy Trinity there Will be ofc some twat ppl who still think they gonna need healer and tank.People just way too used to it from Wow.

without a looking for group tool to "enforce"(teach?) no trinity and bring any profession, players will ask for X profession (LFM GUARDIAN EXPLORABLE) :P

Quote Originally Posted by Stormgnoef View Post
    Even thro there is no holy Trinity there Will be ofc some twat ppl who still think they gonna need healer and tank.People just way too used to it from Wow.
    Well they are then, as you say..t**ts.

People need to break away from that mentality

---------- Post added 2012-08-22 at 11:43 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by guser View Post
    without a looking for group tool to "enforce"(teach?) no trinity and bring any profession, players will ask for X profession (LFM GUARDIAN EXPLORABLE) :P
    They'll be wasting their time trying to form a group with an exact set-up them. It wouldn't bode well for their ability to L2P...

You might as well have a big 'moron alert' sign over their heads.

I think elementalists are going to be in popular demand, especially the more supportive builds, but on the other hand elementalist seems it will be the most played class anyway so that kinda balances it out. Guardians and warriors will certainly be popular too. I think that if the game proves to be an enormous success (as it probably will) a swarm of theorycrafting people from other games will unleash their brain cells on GW2 and come up with certain profession builds that trump all others, and those builds will be the ones in high demand, if not the only "viable" after a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormgnoef View Post
    There is no holy trinity, but there are still roles to be filled in group. If nothing else you probably want to have 1-2 bruisers up front the group who initiate fights and take or negate the first wave of beating. You also probably want 1-2 aoe heals in the group for easy group sustain. The thing to note here is that almost anyone can be a bruiser and at least 5 professions have aoe heals while rest have other sources of group protection.

So in the end when you group up you want to tune the synergy of the group to have these roles covered, but that can very well be done by combination of any two professions.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

Quote Originally Posted by Repefe View Post
    There is no holy trinity, but there are still roles to be filled in group. If nothing else you probably want to have 1-2 bruisers up front the group who initiate fights and take or negate the first wave of beating. You also probably want 1-2 aoe heals in the group for easy group sustain. The thing to note here is that almost anyone can be a bruiser and at least 5 professions have aoe heals while rest have other sources of group protection.

So in the end when you group up you want to tune the synergy of the group to have these roles covered, but that can very well be done by combination of any two professions.
    I disagree, I was playing on last BWE or was it subsequent stress test (can't remember) - basically I dinged 30 on my thief and wanted to try out AC, so I looked for players for AC run, some ranger guy said he wanted to do it so we were 3 short. The thing was - I don't even remember what the other 3 professions were for the run, we just looked for players not classes, we were - who wants to do the AC run, once we got 5 players we just went in and thats all, it took us quite some time and we finally managed to do it (with few mins spare before the end), but the fact was noone cared what class you were or what spec.
    Last edited by jtgizmo; 2012-08-22 at 11:28 AM.
    "Bill Nye: So Todd I got an offer for you. You and me. Any time. Any place. Debating science mano- a-mano. I'll bring the facts, and you bring the Vaseline. Because your ass is gonna fucking need it when I'm done whipping."

Mr Eames: "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

No one ever answers the questions these days.

I'd like an ele, a necro, an engineer and a guardian.

Deleted
    1 Enginner
    If we have ppl like Mif + Toldo who can <<tank>> a whole sPvP , we dont need any other class-player :P
    Last edited by mmocd9c65c8d53; 2012-08-22 at 11:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by koontakent View Post
    No one ever answers the questions these days.
    That's because some questions cannot be answered.

In this case, this is further complicated by the fact that players have seen exactly one dungeon, and most players haven't seen even that.

For starters, there's little experience with whether stacking or diversity may be more beneficial. For example, I don't think anyone has yet worked out the theorycraft of how mob AI would react to a group of five mesmers and their army of phantasms and clones.

Secondly, there's an unspoken assumption that you want to cover certain roles (even if those roles aren't tank and healers). This is not necessarily the case in a system where players can function as force multipliers (force multipliers is a concept that has largely been eradicated from other MMOs, because it makes it very difficult to balance scripted encounters with enrage timers). Maximizing offense and defense through force multiplier effects may be the better way to go (again, nobody knows yet), and that may not break down along class lines.

well, i would take mesmer (me), Warrior (friend) Guardian (friend) Engineer (friend) Ranger (friend) i know they all can play well.

If i had to choose on proffessions only, 2 mesmer, 3 necromancers and 1 thief.