Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Elekial View Post
    Five thieves with tripwire.. those mobs will scrape their knees so much that they will just give up!
    The problem with that idea is that champion mobs tend to come with the unshakable mechanic.

Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    a swarm of theorycrafting people from other games will unleash their brain cells on GW2 and come up with certain profession builds that trump all others, and those builds will be the ones in high demand, if not the only "viable" after a while.
    I'm not sure thats possible in this game. In WoW for example DPS builds were built, generally for max DPS, as they had their set roles.
    Without the trinity, setting yourself up as a glass cannon might not be the best option. With different encounters, different builds might be better.

I would hope that its a bit like the early days of WoW, where each class had 5/6 or more possible 'builds' with a much greater range of their skillset. From glass cannon to surivivor etc...

Deleted
    Many others have said it but it is not about professions. Other trivialize the question though when they state that 'anything goes'.

For the harder dungeons you want a group that can stack vulnerability (condition) high and you want a set-up that can throw out regeneration (boon). Secondly you want a set-up that allows condition removal which can be achieved in multiple ways - but you need to have it.

Those three base functions are much more about trait set-ups and weapon selection than professions. IMO you need those three functions in any harder PvE encounters.
    Last edited by mmoc2ad8cd49df; 2012-08-22 at 12:41 PM.

two guardians a elementalist and a thief.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaagazug View Post
    Many others have said it but it is not about professions. Other trivialize the question though when they state that 'anything goes'.

For the harder dungeons you want a group that can stack vulnerability (condition) high and you want a set-up that can throw out regeneration (boon). Secondly you want a set-up that allows condition removal which can be achieved in multiple ways - but you need to have it.

Those three base functions are much more about trait set-ups and weapon selection than professions. IMO you need those three functions in any harder PvE encounters.
    I disagree on that, if you know how to move and heal yourself and such, regeneration isn't necessary, Vulnerability seems to be very important now though, which shouldn't be the case, it's way to important.

condition removal is something you should have on yourself already. Though on my Mesmer i will have Null Field that removes conditions on all.

Quote Originally Posted by jtgizmo View Post
    I disagree, I was playing on last BWE or was it subsequent stress test (can't remember) - basically I dinged 30 on my thief and wanted to try out AC, so I looked for players for AC run, some ranger guy said he wanted to do it so we were 3 short. The thing was - I don't even remember what the other 3 professions were for the run, we just looked for players not classes, we were - who wants to do the AC run, once we got 5 players we just went in and thats all, it took us quite some time and we finally managed to do it (with few mins spare before the end), but the fact was noone cared what class you were or what spec.
    This depends on difficulty of the dungeon. In story mode anything goes.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

Quote Originally Posted by Salech View Post
    I disagree on that, if you know how to move and heal yourself and such, regeneration isn't necessary, Vulnerability seems to be very important now though, which shouldn't be the case, it's way to important.
    I'm not sure how important Vulnerability stacking is. Assuming you can stack it to max, that's a 25% damage increase. It's also not that easy to stack. Most skills that apply vulnerability tend to require you to be in melee (or at least fairly close) or they have a cooldown that's longer than the duration. In short, getting that many stacks seems to require a lot of maintenance.

Now consider a champion mob that can heal, and poison becomes much more attractive as a condition and is much easier to keep up (because it stacks duration).
    Last edited by Sylvanie; 2012-08-22 at 01:05 PM.

Deleted
    I myself play a guardian.. So I would choose an engineer, a mesmer, a warrior and an elementalist - http://mastodonte.fr/outils/tool-combo#en

However that said, it's not about professions in this game, it's about when to use which ability at the right tiime and observe the mobs' animations...

Player-skill > Professions skills = GW2

That reminds me of my question noone has answered so far: if there is 7 hunters in LFG, which one(s) will you choose, GW2 style?

Mesmers.

Me and what army? This army!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    That reminds me of my question noone has answered so far: if there is 7 hunters in LFG, which one(s) will you choose, GW2 style?
    The female Elf :P
    Edit: And force her to dance , or I would kick her out !
    Last edited by mmocd9c65c8d53; 2012-08-22 at 01:20 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Anything with a gearscore over 90000 10k dps and previous raiding experience
    in reality profession shouldnt mattter
    If everything I do is wrong then by god ill do it right

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    I would ask them individually about: the best elite skill unlocked, most utility skills unlocked and/or skill points... (most likely highest level, but you never know).

Quote Originally Posted by Verazh View Post
    A defensive Guardian, an offensive aoe elementalist, a conditionmancer and shoutwarrior.
    I'm pretty sure this mind set is not what a.net is intending. If you refuse to bring people to a dungeon because they are not one of those specific 'roles' than you are part of the problem with the community.*elitism*

If you are just saying those are four good specs and you would take ANYONE but those four would be preffered than never mind and on your way.

me (ranger) bro (prolly nec) and then guardian ele and war
    Atm it feels/looks like the synergy of guardian/ele/war is killer (defensive boons/healing/offensive boons) so what you need to add is vulnerability (ranger+war) and then sync out some other stuff like burning etc...
    Last edited by Meledelion; 2012-08-22 at 01:48 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Salech View Post

condition removal is something you should have on yourself already. Though on my Mesmer i will have Null Field that removes conditions on all.
    If you look at the little footage there is from harder PvE encounters condition removal without help through combos or specific abilities from others will not really suffice.
    And the same applies to regeneration et cetera as far as I can see. It is all speculation right now BUT I am willing to eat my right hand if you do not need proper boon/condition management in explorable mode dungeons. That is very different from the trinity though and will allow far more profession set-ups.

In dungeons, the HP lost from any mob's attack is always greater than that gained from any heal ability. Also, CDs of mobs' attacks are always shorter than those of players' heals. So, characters with proactive abilities are more useful than characters with reactive healing abilities.

From that reasoning, with the assumption that people know how to play their roles, my general 5-man group setup would be:

2 Control-spec'd damage dealers
    2 DPS-spec'd damage dealers
    1 Non-healing support-spec'd damage dealer

Group healing should mainly come from combos, a by-product when dealing damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Repefe View Post
    There is no holy trinity, but there are still roles to be filled in group. If nothing else you probably want to have 1-2 bruisers up front the group who initiate fights and take or negate the first wave of beating. You also probably want 1-2 aoe heals in the group for easy group sustain. The thing to note here is that almost anyone can be a bruiser and at least 5 professions have aoe heals while rest have other sources of group protection.

So in the end when you group up you want to tune the synergy of the group to have these roles covered, but that can very well be done by combination of any two professions.
    The problem is if you aren't able to deviate from your "role" to fill another role that needs to be filled on the fly then you are not doing what needs to be done to be successful. Even if your main job is to dps sometimes you are going to have to tank and sometimes you are going to need to be able to add some support, be it with cripples or whatever. you have to be able to do what needs to be done on the fly and react to the battle. everyone will. With no set aggro table with mobs having different aggro lists and no way to taunt you can't actually tank stuff. some mobs prioritize light armor wearers, and will go for them first, some are based on proximity etc. But no matter what or who you are or how you spec or gear you will not be able to sit there and soak damage. you will die and you will die VERY quickly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkenaw View Post
    Four charr anything
    /thread right here

Just get four charr to /dance * at the front, and nothing can stop you.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Gaurdian, Elementalist, Necromancer, and Ranger. Gaurdian for high defense, Elementalist for heals and aoe dmg. Necro for CC. and Ranger just for high dps form the back line. Although you can just do what u and ur friends want to.