Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    lost somewhere in the corn fields of middle America
    Its all in their strategies to go all out in the beginning to build a massive amount of good will.
    The players will have a bigger marginal for disappointment in the future because of this.
    There will be bugs post launch, there always are. No game ever has launched bug free and to think a game this scale could ever launch with out something cropping up is short sighted at best. However they have proven time and time again they are able to fix issues on the fly with no more inconvenience than logging out and logging back in again. Seeing as they already have a proven track record with GW1 doing just that and being very responsive to issues I dont think we have to worry to much about the level of service suddenly petering out after launch.

And all of the good that this stress test should yield is that my school is not in-fact blocking the ports for gw2, but instead has a poor connection causing disconnections which seem to give the same message as the 'blocked' message.

:-) gw2 at work on the 25th... too baller.

Quote Originally Posted by wakarimas View Post
    Its all in their strategies to go all out in the beginning to build a massive amount of good will.
    The players will have a bigger marginal for disappointment in the future because of this.
    They've got a proven track record with GW1, it's not that they're handling this specially, it's how they're known for dealing with issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    You know, I would be concerned if I thought these guys were the kind of people that would launch a buggy game then just walk away from it for months, saying, "The next content patch will fix it" or heaven forbid, "The next expac will fix it". The fact that they worked with players to identify and repair a glitch during a stress test and implemented a patch to fix it on the fly mind you, without taking the servers down speaks volumes for their dedication to making the game the best possible experience for all of us.

Thinking a game will launch completely bug-free is extremely naive. The question is whether you believe the developers will leave it that way. There has been nothing in their actions to date to indicate that's the case, but if you really think that, maybe you should just ask for a refund now.

Otherwise you are just being alarmist.
    Fully agree with this. If I was playing WoW and saw some of the bugs I've seen, I'd be on the forums crying for a revolution. But this isn't Blizzard running the show, where it really can take months for a big problem to get fixed - because in their eyes it's only a big problem if it's benefiting the players.

For Arena Net, bug fixing is of paramount importance.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

The only "alarming" thing for me was the number of disconnects I had yesterday. I felt like I was playing a Bethesda game. I'm pretty confident that they will fix that issue though, it must have been something that they patched in because I never disconnected in any of the previous betas/stress tests.

10+ Year Old Account
    So in my inventory, there was an option that says I can deposit my collectibles into something. Forgot what it's called.

Does anyone know where it went?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickbuttmario View Post
    So in my inventory, there was an option that says I can deposit my collectibles into something. Forgot what it's called.

There's a tab in your bank for mats and things like that.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

It goes into your bank. There are different tabs for your bank such as crafting mats, collectibles go there.
    Last edited by Valeron; 2012-08-22 at 04:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kickbuttmario View Post

In your bank, there's a separate collectibles tab. This is where the crafting materials will go. This is separate from your actual bank though, so it's not like this eats up your bank space. And you don't need to go hunting for a banker NPC when you want to craft something, the crafting stations all have access to your bank and collectibles tab.

You know, I would be concerned if I thought these guys were the kind of people that would launch a buggy game then just walk away from it for months, saying, "The next content patch will fix it" or heaven forbid, "The next expac will fix it". The fact that they worked with players to identify and repair a glitch during a stress test and implemented a patch to fix it on the fly mind you, without taking the servers down speaks volumes for their dedication to making the game the best possible experience for all of us.

Thinking a game will launch completely bug-free is extremely naive. The question is whether you believe the developers will leave it that way. There has been nothing in their actions to date to indicate that's the case, but if you really think that, maybe you should just ask for a refund now.

Seriously, I love this game, you make one teeny tiny negative comment and you guys leap down someone's throat. I will not be refunding, I enjoy this game a fuck ton, but holy shit, can you not take criticism on this game, at all?

I never stated I thought the game would be entirely bug free, I'm not stupid enough to believe that, but the bugs were pretty big, considering accidentally hitting one skill killed your character.
    Last edited by Digglett; 2012-08-22 at 05:18 PM.

Don't overanalyze things and jump to conclusions. Neither of use have said have said anything of the sort. A game without bugs is inane. A game that's working well and suddenly everything goes wrong a few days before release isn't something to just shrug off. This has been their buggiest stress test yet, other than the first or second one where the servers were all offline for an hour or two, which even then, it worked well once the servers were up. There was even a bug where using one of those charge skills could change your server. Dying is one thing, but that's a pretty damn big glitch. It's much more naive of you to suggest "i didn't find many bugs, they must not be there" or "Arenanet can fix everything and there's absolutely nothing to worry about for release!"

"Please ask for a refund because the game won't be bug free at release." It's like you didn't read anything else that was said. Skelington has been with Arenanet and GW longer than he has been with WoW. They may be leagues better than Blizzard, but they're not the perfect company you're making them out to be.
    Last edited by Skelington; 2012-08-22 at 05:57 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skelington View Post
    This has been their buggiest stress test yet
    Sounds like things were going as planned then.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't overanalyze things and jump to conclusions. Neither of use have said have said anything of the sort. A game without bugs is inane. A game that's working well and suddenly everything goes wrong a few days before release isn't something to just shrug off. This has been their buggiest stress test yet, other than the first or second one where the servers were all offline for an hour or two, which even then, it worked well once the servers were up. There was even a bug where using one of those charge skills could change your server. Dying is one thing, but that's a pretty damn big glitch. It's much more naive of you to suggest "i didn't find many bugs, they must not be there" or "Arenanet can fix everything and there's absolutely nothing to worry about for release!"

"Please ask for a refund because the game won't be bug free at release." It's like you didn't read anything else that was said. Skelington has been with Arenanet and GW longer than he has been with WoW. They may be leagues better than Blizzard, but they're not the perfect company you're making them out to be.

Exaggeration much?

Yeah, I stick to my statement.
    Valar morghulis

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Sounds like things were going as planned then.
    That doesn't really make it any better. Yes, it's good they found these bugs and yes stress tests are about that, but it's not good that suddenly, right before release, a shitload of bugs are breaking the game. Their new authentication method alone has screwed over countless accounts to the point that some people can't access the main website, the email support for their account, and incorrect passwords/IPs/cities are being listed for their account. There's no way of knowing they will have this bug fixed unless another test happens tomorrow or we test it at launch itself. Skelington has always trusted Arenanet, but something like this isn't just an "oh, that was a stress test it's supposed to not work sometimes!" situation. It may be an overreaction, but to be completely flippant because arenanet is not blizzard is silly.

Exaggeration much?

Yeah, I stick to my statement.
    Clearly wrong because hyperbole. Honestly, can negative statements not be made about the game?
    Last edited by Skelington; 2012-08-22 at 06:12 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    right before release, a shitload of bugs are breaking the game
    Any issues you experience are a result of the rigorous conditions of the stress test, and are in no way representative of the state of the game at launch.
    Breaking the game was intentional.

10+ Year Old Account
    That doesn't really make it any better. Yes, it's good they found these bugs and yes stress tests are about that, but it's not good that suddenly, right before release, a shitload of bugs are breaking the game. Their new authentication method alone has screwed over countless accounts to the point that some people can't access the main website, the email support for their account, and incorrect passwords/IPs/cities are being listed for their account. There's no way of knowing they will have this bug fixed unless another test happens tomorrow or we test it at launch itself. Skelington has always trusted Arenanet, but something like this isn't just an "oh, that was a stress test it's supposed to not work sometimes!" situation. It may be an overreaction, but to be completely flippant because arenanet is not blizzard is silly.

Clearly wrong because hyperbole. Honestly, can negative statements not be made about the game?
    Your exaggerated claims are belied by the 1000s of videos posted from yesterday. If there really was this ginormous omg the game is broken and the sky is falling issue it would be all over /r/Guildwars2 - funny, it's not.

But you go on, seems you're enjoying your panicking and fretting and worrying your life away and raising of red flags and concerns. Have a party.
    Valar morghulis

Wait what? People have still not learned that they use stress TESTS for TESTING themselves in case something should go wrong? Oh well...

A game that's working well and suddenly everything goes wrong a few days before release isn't something to just shrug off. This has been their buggiest stress test yet, other than the first or second one where the servers were all offline for an hour or two, which even then, it worked well once the servers were up. There was even a bug where using one of those charge skills could change your server. Dying is one thing, but that's a pretty damn big glitch. It's much more naive of you to suggest "i didn't find many bugs, they must not be there" or "Arenanet can fix everything and there's absolutely nothing to worry about for release!"
    I think you misclassify this stress test as buggy because there was one very visible bug in the game, not because there was a lot of stuff breaking. No, it's not a pretty big damn glitch. My own reaction was more like, "oh, they put in some last minute changes before the stress test that haven't gone through QA yet." It probably was just a small error in the code (and as far as I could tell, they had fixed it in the build that they deployed towards the end -- at least I couldn't reproduce it then). I had reported more bugs in previous stress tests and BWE3 than this one.

In short, visibility of a bug is not a measure of the quality of a codebase, especially for non-QAed builds.

Frankly, what I would be more concerned about is that they started fiddling with the account management system so shortly before launch. Presumably that's a different team from the actual game developers, so it's not really clear why they delayed these changes for so long.

Your exaggerated claims are belied by the 1000s of videos posted from yesterday. If there really was this ginormous omg the game is broken and the sky is falling issue it would be all over /r/Guildwars2 - funny, it's not.

But you go on, seems you're enjoying your panicking and fretting and worrying your life away and raising of red flags and concerns. Have a party.
    None of us said that, who's exaggerating now?

10+ Year Old Account
    If this bug was so visible, why didn't I see it? o.o