Thread: Thoughts on GW2

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Personally I played WvWvW for 6 hours. ;D
    I absolutely loved it, the only thing I found slightly discouraging is the extremely large amount of time it takes to get from the respawn point to any actual areas where combat is happening. :c

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRL9X...layer_embedded

Think this was posted here before.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikenchi View Post
    Personally I played WvWvW for 6 hours. ;D
    I absolutely loved it, the only thing I found slightly discouraging is the extremely large amount of time it takes to get from the respawn point to any actual areas where combat is happening. :c
    Well, yeah, but then that's the penalty for dying. Also, if you can constantly rush back to where you died straight away any fight just becomes a battle of attrition.
    Also, I guess that'd depend on where the contested borders are- if your server is being attacked aggressively, the frontline should be much closer to your spawn, shouldn't it? I didn't really try WvW, so I'm not sure if that's the case, but to my feeble mind it makes sense

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradley View Post
    Thx for the guide.
    Anyway my friend uses the xbox joypad to play WoW, u think is still deable with GW2?
    I dont use the Xbox pad, but I've used a different gamepad to play the game, I usually prefer mouse and gameboard, but its possible if you like that kind of thing. I tend just to use it for pve stuff, I think you really need mouse turning for pvp, but then you do in most MMOs, wow included.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley View Post
    Hi there
    A friend of mine asked me some information about GW2, because he is thinking of buying it. I unfortunately do not have access to this information, having never played the beta.

I wonder if you could explain with 5 points what you find positive and at other 5 points what you find negative in this game.
    is just to get an idea of the product, using your point of view.

(side note)
    [it is true that you can buy items with real money etc? If yes which ones?]

Thx for the reply
    I can find 20 points positive but its hard to find 5 negatives...So tell your friend this:

If he loves MMOs then he must try GW2
    If he hates MMOs then he MUST really try GW2

1: No Monthly Fees. I wont beat around the bush, I'm a wow player, I love wow, and I don't see myself retiring from it any time soon. HOWEVER, one of wow's major flaws, is the terribly slow pace in which new content is released. Its a double-edged sword really, because the devs can make the content ultra-hard and make it take lots of time to beat, in which case you'll bang your head against a wall for months due to not being able to kill this one boss, or they make the content easy, so you get to see the content, but unfortunately burn it up too fast, and ending up with nothing to do while they release the next major patch. They've gone with the latter solution, and this leaves me with the following conundrum:

What to do when I've done all there is to be done in the game? The answer is easy: play something else. But most (Competent) MMOs out there require a monthly fee, and I'm not the type that has enough money to just pay 2 subscriptions. There comes GW2 to the rescue!. Game is fun, and its free, so, I can play wow, do the content, once I'm bored/burned out, just move to GW2, and play GW2 until they release the next patch. Currently I plan to play the game in 2month cycles (2 months of wow, then GW2 till next patch is out, rinse&repeat). Obviously I wouldn't be able to do this if GW2 had a sub, so thank god its free.
    exactly as you said it you ve done your "work/job" there..and now is time to have some fun with GW2...really, it only seem like job after the first time..you beat the raid once, nice. after that is just a "job" to gather the gear and be ready for next "job" that will start with the new patch. I am doing this 5 years...but not anymore. In all raids I have done once I finished the "job" I didn't even want to go outside of the raid..I was feeling disgusting about that place. Anyone can argue that can have fun doing the same raid 30 times but all people stop when they get their gear, when the job is done..Does anyone run Firelands atm? In the best case someone with an unfinished legendary was begging all the guild and his guildmates had to always find a silly excuse to not go.
    Last edited by papajohn4; 2012-08-22 at 09:01 PM.
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

Trying to play an mmo with a controller (this one or wow) is really shooting yourself in the foot. I really think it does more harm than good since you then become used to a bad control scheme, and trying to cross the gap will be even harder than for a keyboard turner for example.
    Good luck sorting your inventory too.

But hey... to each his fun I guess.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rezoacken View Post
    Trying to play an mmo with a controller (this one or wow) is really shooting yourself in the foot. I really think it does more harm than good since you then become used to a bad control scheme, and trying to cross the gap will be even harder than for a keyboard turner for example.
    Good luck sorting your inventory too.

But hey... to each his fun I guess.
    This. Performance-wise it's always going to be worse, just like how keyboard-turning is always going to be worse than mouse-turning, no matter how good you are. But when you're not looking for perfect execution, and just want to enjoy the game, then hell, why not- I've actually healed DS10 using an Xbox controller once, just to see if it could be done- it's actually not that bad if you make heavy use of modifier keys and macros. Had to assign buttons to next/previous group member, which is a pain, but it is interesting to see how much can be done with controllers that are completely unsuitable (Didn't someone once play an arcane mage using a flight-sim joystick?)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashtaroth View Post
    This. Performance-wise it's always going to be worse, just like how keyboard-turning is always going to be worse than mouse-turning, no matter how good you are. But when you're not looking for perfect execution, and just want to enjoy the game, then hell, why not- I've actually healed DS10 using an Xbox controller once, just to see if it could be done- it's actually not that bad if you make heavy use of modifier keys and macros. Had to assign buttons to next/previous group member, which is a pain, but it is interesting to see how much can be done with controllers that are completely unsuitable (Didn't someone once play an arcane mage using a flight-sim joystick?)
    And some one set up wow with a kinetic controller (the think you make gestures at and look a pillock using). Thing was it was an arcane mage also with bascially a punch for arcane blast....I should imaging that got pretty tireing pretty quick...

Quote Originally Posted by tlacoatl View Post
    And some one set up wow with a kinetic controller (the think you make gestures at and look a pillock using). Thing was it was an arcane mage also with bascially a punch for arcane blast....I should imaging that got pretty tireing pretty quick...
    Good box training.
    Last edited by rezoacken; 2012-08-22 at 09:31 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Derah View Post
    2: No variety in PVP. There are so many different ways to do pvp in wow, battlegrounds, arenas, rated Bgs, world pvp, duels. And yet there are so little ways to pvp on GW2. For one thing, there are no duels, or world pvp, you will NEVER be able to attack another player from your realm, or attack any player outside of a pvp zone. There are no arenas either. And as far as battlegrounds go, while there are 3, they all have the exact same objective (Capture nodes to gain resources, first team to reach the resource cap wins, so.......... basically Arathi Basin)

This is so not cool I don't even know how to say it >_< Imagine if wow only had 3 BGs, Arathi Basin, Gilneas, and another BG that had the same objective as gilneas but in a different zone. It would SUCK. Variety is the spice of life, there should be more modes of pvp on GW2, from the classical capture the flag, to some more creative modes like protect your king, or besiege the enemy fortress. But being stuck on capture-the-node ALL THE TIME, is quite lame, even if the layout of the battleground changes, the objectives will be the same all the time. Plus, when it comes to pvp, there are times where you just don't wanna be doing any objectives and just duke it out on a battle of simple domination, AKA arenas, where the only rule is "kill the enemy before it kills you". That you have to pretty much do AB and rated AB all the time feels like a major disappointment for me. At least the saving grace of GW2's pvp is WvW, which looks ABSURDLY FUN. Mixing the best concepts of Alterac Valley, and Lineage IIs castle sieges.
    Just thought I'd mention that this point is almost entirely invalid. For one thing, though the PvP matches all use a cap-n-hold type system they all differ considerably. They have unique mechanics - a WvW style keep with walls that can be destroyed, NPC bosses that can be killed to add to your teams score, trebuchets that can be used to deal heavy damage and destroy parts of a building, and a map with an underwater point that can be held which gives you some fairly powerful sharks on your team which will attack any enemy you get into the water and do some fairly hefty damage (this map also has functional cannons but I didn't experiment with them, only had access to it in the last stress test). The mechanics greatly change the feel and gameplay of each map and the way that the combat you encounter flows. The variation in terrain has a similar effect - smashing the windows and chasing people around the clocktower in Khylo is awesome fun. I would even go as far as to argue that the variety in gameplay between the different battles is about as noticeable as it is in WoW's battlegrounds. Avoid judging them until you've actually played them. I actually really love what ArenaNet have managed to do with these battles.

Furthermore;

"Imagine if wow only had 3 BGs, Arathi Basin, Gilneas, and another BG that had the same objective as gilneas but in a different zone."
    Well, for one thing, Arathi Basin and Gilneas are basically the same battleground just with different numbers, and as covered there's a far greater amount of variation in GW2's battles of the same type. Secondly, when WoW launched, guess how many battlegrounds there were... none! Nothing as far as PvP goes. Literally nothing (I think the honourable & dishonourable kill system was rushed into the game a week or so after launch but that was about it). You could fight other people out in the world, but that was about it. It was fun at times but it was just a mindless zergfest with no objective and no attention to balance. It was a fairly long time until WoW even had battlegrounds, and even then it got just two (AV and WSG), and a third towards the end of vanilla (AB). It didn't even surpass four battlegrounds until the games second expansion, over three years after it launched - Guild Wars 2 is launching with at least four, and the WvW feature. I'd also wager that with the level of detail and variety of each GW2 map that they took more time and effort to create than WoW's battlegrounds. What you've to remember is that WoW has had nearly 8 years worth of additional content (patches, expansions etc). It's an extremely matured game, it would be unfair to compare it to GW2 in its launch state. Given time GW2 will expand the different types matches and other forms of PvP available (ArenaNet have expressed desire to do this, I can't be bothered finding a source to cite right now but it shouldn't be hard to find). Furthermore, I'm having loads more fun in the GW2 PvP matches than I can ever remember having in a WoW battleground.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokas View Post
    dynamic quest/world events? that shit will get boring after 2 weeks, then what...
    Honestly, I could not disagree more with this. I was a hardcore raider in WoW and FFXI (waaay back in the day), as well as experiencing high level PvE in a lot of MMOs. Events might be the most fun I have I have ever had in an MMO. It is the first time since I began playing FFXI almost 10 years ago that I have spent hours playing without even realizing it.

I could not careless about PvP in MMOs, this game has not changed that feeling. On the other hand events, as well as truly challenging dungeons, are the biggest pro to me in this game. It is the most engaging PvE I have ever come across.

PS: Get out of the starting areas. Events really kick into high gear in the 15-25 areas. When you see an army of centaur destroy a large village because you failed to capture their bases or cut off their reinforcements, you truly see where these events can go.
    Last edited by Lannden; 2012-08-22 at 10:25 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tlacoatl View Post
    got to admit, that sounds like a great exercise program. Although for something more complex like a warlock, I guess you'll need more or less an entire martial art's worth of techniques, for all of your spells
    Last edited by mmoc857446813f; 2012-08-22 at 10:46 PM.