Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I also find Sanderson a bit easier to read than Jordan. The books he wrote in the series went rather quickly and smoothly, he doesn't get hung up on minutiae as easily as Jordan.
    Putin khuliyo

Name of the Wind. Probably one of my favourite fantasy novels atm has a sequel, and a third incoming.

Quote Originally Posted by Willfox View Post
    You really should read books 11-13(and hopefully 14 is good too when it comes out, I know 11 isn't Sanderson, but it's right after the lull of book 10), they are good. If you don't want to read it, just have a quick look on the net for summaries of what happens in the middle books. I'm currently re-reading through and was surprised that the middle section of book 4 wasn't as dull as I remembered it and was pleasantly surprised by a lot of the things I didn't pick up the first time I read through them however many years ago.

As for Way of Kings, the first book so far has been great except for how long it took for the story to get any traction. Personally I found the first 400 pages(minus the small szeth part at the start) incrediblly dull and unexciting. After that the book did pick up considerably and I actually found myself liking all the main characters.
    I think I read 11. The last thing I remember happening was Then Cleaning their Taint (ha!). And then suddenly in the next book OHMAIGOD TAIMON GAIDON IS AROUND THE CORNER!!! instead of 'soon'. Then Rand gets attacked by a bunch of Trollocs and he mows through them with... I want to say Mazrim Taim helping him? I think the taint is the end of 10 and the rest is 11?

Anyway, once the final book is out in paperback i'll pick up what I need to finish it and read the whole thing again.

Quote Originally Posted by Orukmeta View Post
    Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan (and family)
    Wheel of time, Wheel of time, Wheel of time, did i mention wheel of time? have read these books at least 7 times over the years and there is nothing that compares to them.

Sword of truth is a copy cat series but also good.

Game of thrones is nice but if you want magic i wouldnt focus on them. the books are also somewhat depressing since (maybe spoliers?) character you like may not always live very long.

R.A. salvatores legend of drizzt books are very entertaining although most of the focus is on melee combat (the fighting is awesome in these books if you have an over active imagination like mine) but some of the enemies are mages. the only problem with these books ( i think i own 25 of them atm) is that after a while they began to get really predictable for me. i will still continue to read them though since the main character is one of my favorites

Ed greenwoods books about elminster are focused on a mage so those may be up your alley. i havent read these yet since i prefer main characters that are warriors but thats me.

but seriously did i mention the wheel of time is the best? have purchased those books multiple times glad i have my kindle cause i wont ruin the books and need to repurchase them anymore.

steven erikson has some interesting novels out but the amount of characters was to much for me. every book the author introduces at least a dozen new characters which you may like but if i am reading a series i really want it to focus on the characters i like. i still read like 6 or 7 of the books but i was desperate for new reading material.

oh and i cant forget brandon sanderson who actually took over the writing of the wheel of time series after the passing of robert jordan. i was nervous about a writer stepping in to fill his shoes but jordan had a basic understanding of where the WoT story was headed before his passing so sanderson is basing his writing off that and doing a fine job of it.

sanderson books are nice reads mistborn trilogy being my favorite, after that his first novel elantris was very good and a nice read. he also began a new series called warbreakers i believe but im annoyed he put that out in between the final WoT book release so qq on that :P

another somewhat obscure series is begins with " The Lies of Locke Lamora" (might be off on spelling ) but i have a hard time recommending these because the author had some issues with a failed marriage i believe and has not continued the series. (really annoying since i had a great time reading the first few and wish there were more) these are based on a thief and the story is really clever at points.

hope any of these series will satisfy your hunger for reading i wish i could find more to fill my kindle but lately i have been trying to read anything that sounds remotely interesting

Quote Originally Posted by Cahayla View Post
    Wheel of time, Wheel of time, Wheel of time, did i mention wheel of time? have read these books at least 7 times over the years and there is nothing that compares to them.

Sword of truth is a copy cat series but also good.
    When you can judge the value of a woman to the series on how close she is to getting raped at the beginning of the novel, it is not a series to read
    Game of thrones is nice but if you want magic i wouldnt focus on them. the books are also somewhat depressing since (maybe spoliers?) character you like may not always live very long.

R.A. salvatores legend of drizzt books are very entertaining although most of the focus is on melee combat (the fighting is awesome in these books if you have an over active imagination like mine) but some of the enemies are mages. the only problem with these books ( i think i own 25 of them atm) is that after a while they began to get really predictable for me. i will still continue to read them though since the main character is one of my favorites
    Salvatore has been phoning it in for years now. That isn't to say the first couple Drizzt books aren't good, and I do pick up the 'Sellswords' stuff he does with Enteri and Jarlaxle.
    Ed greenwoods books about elminster are focused on a mage so those may be up your alley. i havent read these yet since i prefer main characters that are warriors but thats me.
    Greenwoods books are good, but they certainly aren't epic fantasy and they wont scratch that itch if you are looking for epic fantasy
    but seriously did i mention the wheel of time is the best? have purchased those books multiple times glad i have my kindle cause i wont ruin the books and need to repurchase them anymore.

steven erikson has some interesting novels out but the amount of characters was to much for me. every book the author introduces at least a dozen new characters which you may like but if i am reading a series i really want it to focus on the characters i like. i still read like 6 or 7 of the books but i was desperate for new reading material.
    Actually after book 6 he stops introducing characters and starts tying everything together in the final 4 books, culminating with a giant convergence at the end. Utterly worth it.
    oh and i cant forget brandon sanderson who actually took over the writing of the wheel of time series after the passing of robert jordan. i was nervous about a writer stepping in to fill his shoes but jordan had a basic understanding of where the WoT story was headed before his passing so sanderson is basing his writing off that and doing a fine job of it.

sanderson books are nice reads mistborn trilogy being my favorite, after that his first novel elantris was very good and a nice read. he also began a new series called warbreakers i believe but im annoyed he put that out in between the final WoT book release so qq on that :P
    Elantris was ok, but it was Sandersons first book. His new Epic series begins with 'The Way of Kings', but every book Sanderson has written (besides finishing WoT) are all in the same 'universe', although not on the same planet and the magic is different in each different 'series'. However, there is speculation that Sanderson plans to tie them all in together at some point.
    another somewhat obscure series is begins with " The Lies of Locke Lamora" (might be off on spelling ) but i have a hard time recommending these because the author had some issues with a failed marriage i believe and has not continued the series. (really annoying since i had a great time reading the first few and wish there were more) these are based on a thief and the story is really clever at points.
    This is the 'Gentlemen Bastards' series. Scott Lynch had quite a few health problems and his mother died, but the third book (Republic of Theives) is being released later this year, I believe, instead of the 3 years ago or so it was originally planned.
    hope any of these series will satisfy your hunger for reading i wish i could find more to fill my kindle but lately i have been trying to read anything that sounds remotely interesting
    Last edited by obdigore; 2012-08-24 at 06:02 AM.

Bloodsail Admiral Brightamethyst's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    but every book Sanderson has written (besides finishing WoT) are all in the same 'universe', although not on the same planet and the magic is different in each different 'series'. However, there is speculation that Sanderson plans to tie them all in together at some point.
    Seriously? Did he say that in an interview or is it just wild speculation? From the books themselves it's not even remotely implied anywhere that they're all in the same universe, let alone that he plans to tie them together some day.

Quote Originally Posted by Brightamethyst View Post
    Seriously? Did he say that in an interview or is it just wild speculation? From the books themselves it's not even remotely implied anywhere that they're all in the same universe, let alone that he plans to tie them together some day.
    http://thewertzone.blogspot.com/2012...36-volume.html

It's been an open secret for a while that Sanderson's fantasy novels share a common background setting and mythology, the 'Cosmere'. In his first five novels - Elantris, Warbreaker and the Mistborn trilogy - this took the form of a couple of easter eggs. Most notably, a character called Hoid plays a minor, background role in all five books, apparently observing events with interest.

In The Way of Kings this background suddenly became more important to the plot: Hoid (aka 'Wit') now has a brief POV section and plays a larger role in events.
    There is more to it than that, but it becomes semi-spoilerish if you have not read a couple of his books so I'm not going to quote it.

10+ Year Old Account
    *Reads though some of the stuff on Coppermind*

Wow. That is amazingly interesting. If course it'll probably be 20-30 years before it all pulls together -if it works out at all- but there's no denying that it's an INSANELY ambitious idea.

Also, I really need to reread Way of Kings now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gumdrop House, Lollipop Lane, Happy Land.
    A lot of my favourite have already been mentioned I see
    I did browse through each page, so maybe missed them, but didn't notice the following being mentioned yet:

The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Stephen Donaldson.
    The first set is a trilogy (as is the second, iirc). I find them to be excellent books. I won't say too much as I don't want to include anything spoiler-ish by mistake, but suffice it to say that Thomas is a fantastic anti-hero. At times you just want to take him and shake him and slap him for being an idiot. The first book can take a while to get into, but stick with it - you won't regret it.

The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks
    Now, this really is not tolkein-esque fantasy by any means, but it's an excellent trilogy packed with action, intrigue and plot twists and a good dash of magic thrown in to complete the mix.
    The Black Prism by Brent Weeks
    The first (and only currently released book - believe the second is due out in September) of his new series. Seems completely unrelated to his first trilogy so far. It has a very interesting and unique magic system, interesting characters and a plot that kept me guessing. The author can really turn your perceptions of events on their head in a short space of time, which I enjoy.
    Avatar and signature made by ELYPOP

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerath View Post
    The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks
    Now, this really is not tolkein-esque fantasy by any means, but it's an excellent trilogy packed with action, intrigue and plot twists and a good dash of magic thrown in to complete the mix.
    The Black Prism by Brent Weeks
    The first (and only currently released book - believe the second is due out in September) of his new series. Seems completely unrelated to his first trilogy so far. It has a very interesting and unique magic system, interesting characters and a plot that kept me guessing. The author can really turn your perceptions of events on their head in a short space of time, which I enjoy.
    I was reading the first of this trilogy when I stopped to read the Wheel of Time. I'll get back to it. It was a hard decision, but I wanted to refresh on WoT before A Memory of Light comes out in January and the only way to really do that is to start now, four/five months in advance.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    in Limbo... damn the Wi-fi is expensive here...
    Read the Raymond E Feist Books... Start with Magician, it's a massive set of books and you;ll never look back, best series I've ever read.

Eddings' Early work is good.. but the latter books get very very boring... REad the sparhawk series by them... brilliant books.

Deleted
    The Host - Stephanie Myer.

Lots of good books already mentioned, so I am just going to mention a small trilogy I enjoyed a lot. The Cycle of Fire by Janny Wurts. Difficult to get a hold of though, but its a nice small trilogy.

Deleted
    Try a series called Deltora's Quest. Fantastic read

Finished the first Mistborn book.

I need to stop getting attached to characters. They die too much.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KelaniScar View Post
    Name of the Wind. Probably one of my favourite fantasy novels atm has a sequel, and a third incoming.
    ^ really damn good book, very well written and with a pretty unique style. best fantasy i've read in quite a while.

can't wait for the 3rd! =)

Anything you can find from David Gemmell. That man's books are some of the best that I have ever read. Avoid the last Troy book until you have read some of his other works, he died before he could finish it and his wife finished it. Unfortunately she couldn't write to the same caliber as her husband.

Quote Originally Posted by Torethyr View Post
    Finished the first Mistborn book.

I need to stop getting attached to characters. They die too much.
    Currently reading Children of dune was thinking about picking up The mist born series is it any good?

Quote Originally Posted by fartman69 View Post
    Currently reading Children of dune was thinking about picking up The mist born series is it any good?
    First book was fantastic but a bit short. Brandon Sanderson is amazing at world building.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fartman69 View Post
    The first Mistborn book was awesome.
    The second one wasn't as good, but still worth a read.
    The third kind of sucked.
    The fourth was pretty good but you have to read the not as good third book first or you'll be totally lost.