Guardian: Noob Questions

Hey kids,

Let me get this off my chest: I know nothing about this game. I pre-ordered it about 5 minutes ago because my friends are picking it up.

I like to play tanky classes in MMOs, and I'm going to roll a Guardian first. I played a prot warrior in WoW and a juggernaut in TOR. Thing is, they typically feel gimpy as hell, especially where PvP is concerned. I love tanking dungeons and stuff but PvP is a drag. Having "lol, I crit for 200 damage" moments while getting your face stomped isn't particularily fun. You end up just acting as a meat shield, applying a snare to your target, and having someone else burn them down while you cheer them on. Gets stale fast.

Is Guardian going to be any different? Has anyone played a Guardian in the open betas that could offer their experiences? I would <3 you long time.

Dankies

Edit: engliashes.
    Last edited by Abrasion; 2012-08-24 at 06:48 PM.

Hmm Guardian are "tanky" but they are no tanks.

The concept of tanks like you describe, is non existent in GW2. Everybody does decent damage and then you either chose to have a bit more survivability or a bit more dps. But the gap between someone that spec for it and someone that don't is small compared to a game like WoW.

You will still have to heal and dodge and not take every mobs with a protective guardian.
    Last edited by rezoacken; 2012-08-24 at 06:48 PM.

Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Guardian thread: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...+through+first

Also, mass info thread since you freely admitted you know nothing of the game: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...iated-READ-ME!

Look at both of them. Trust me.
    Last edited by theredviola; 2012-08-24 at 06:49 PM.
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Abrasion View Post
    Hey kids,

Let me get this off my chest: I know nothing about this game. I pre-ordered it about 5 minutes ago because my friends are picking it up.

I like to play tanky classes in MMOs, and I'm going to roll a Guardian first. I played a prot warrior in WoW and a juggernaut in TOR. Thing is, they typically feel gimpy as hell, especially where PvP is concerned. I love tanking dungeons and stuff but PvP is a drag. Having "lol, I crit for 200 damage" moments while getting your face stomped isn't particularily fun. You end up just acting as a meat shield, applying a snare to your target, and having someone else burn them down while you cheer them on. Gets stale fast.

Is Guardian going to be any different? Has anyone played a Guardian in the open betas that could offer their experiences? I would <3 you long time.

Dankies

Edit: engliashes.
    You'll probably enjoy Guardian, but you should know that there's no such thing as tanking in GW2.

http://mesmer.pl/?p=157
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Cool I'll check it out, thanks a bunch!

Mods, feel free to lock/delete