Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Alcsaar View Post
    Really?

First line of that wiki

Necromancy (/ˈnɛkrɵˌmænsi/) is a claimed form of magic involving communication with the deceased – either by summoning their spirit as an apparition or raising them bodily

There are no bodies being summoned. There aren't even spirits.
    You're still ignoring all the later minions, including the Bone Fiend (that's a body) the Flesh Golem (oh look, more body) the Flesh Wurm (seeing a pattern?) the Shadow Fiend (essentially a specter) and the Bone Minions (more bones for you.)

Also, the spirit doesn't have to be separate from any material vessel to be a spirit. It's just being used to animate something.

3DS Friend Code: 0146-9205-4817. Could show as either Chris or Chrysia.

10+ Year Old Account
    There are no bodies being summoned.
    You sure about that? Look at the Blood Fiend. Look at it closely. Turn your settings up super high if you have to.

You'll see flesh and bone. There's definitely a spine there, and something that looks like guts. The model is definitely the back half of some dead thing.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-08-26 at 06:23 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Ynna View Post
    As I said before in my previous post: it feels like a Necromancer. The creatures it summons look like they once were a creature (or multiple creatures). The profession uses magic that is generally seen as "forbidden" or "taboo" because that type of magic is associated with death (necro-). Plague, blood, spectral things, life-draining... and it's all flavored with death-like names and aesthetics.

Just because it doesn't use generic skeletons or zombies doesn't mean it's not a necromancer. Fantasy is made out of things someone interpreted differently.

Edit: And that's the last I'll post in this ridiculous thread.
    How is a blood textured blob that floats in the air anything like a summoned creature of ANYTHING?

Look people, I just want a fucking undead human or WHATEVER that actually RESEMBLES something that runs around using a big 2h sword or axe or a sword and shield. I don't feel like thats to much to ask for class thats KNOWN for that sort of thing. I don't want a floating demon fiend. I want a real pet.
    Last edited by Alcsaar; 2012-08-26 at 06:24 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    How is a blood textured blob that floats in the air anything like a summoned creature of ANYTHING?
    It's not a blood-textured blob. O_o

Yeah, I'm done here, if you're not even going to look at the actual details. That's one of the first things I did in the beta with the necromancer, was look closely at the details on the Blood Fiend. It's fucking creepy.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Look people, I just want a fucking undead human or WHATEVER that actually RESEMBLES something that runs around using a big 2h sword or axe or a sword and shield. I don't feel like thats to much to ask for class thats KNOWN for that sort of thing. I don't want a floating demon fiend. I want a real pet.

It is now clear you haven't actually played GW2, as that isn't a blood textured blob by any goddamn definition.

Deleted

get a guardian, they can summon swords and hammers n shit to fight on their side

Seems like no matter what anyone says, you're just denying what they are saying to help. If you're just going to cry about how the game isn't what you expected, then stop begging for attention and stop playing the game, simple as that.

How is a generic blood fiend creative?

I'll tell you why they added in fiends and not true necromancer pets. Less work.

Don't need to create walking or attacking animations for a full scale body, just create a floating glob, texture it red and call it a blood fiend.

Enjoy your boring pet!
    you create animations for the skeleton (not "a skeleton" but the humanoid NPC skeletons), the animations for a skeleton pet would be exactly like any other humanoid using that skeleton, the work WAS DONE, the only difference would be a skin which would take a few hours at worst

it PROBABLY took more time to create the fiend since it had to be a standalone creation, you're being ridiculous and reaching right now

there is a huge divide between the creators of this stuff and the people who ONLY play the games. the people who play the games are VERY uninformed on the processes and just plain ridiculous with their expectations sometimes. they'll defend a 7 year old bug in wow in one thread then complain that a necromancer doesn't raise skeletons in another "because it was easier to create a new mob"
    Last edited by fizzbob; 2012-08-26 at 06:29 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You know, Necromancers are kinda amoral, right? They don't care for keeping a body intact. They can take the blood of a bunch of creatures and shape it in into something more specialized. You're just focusing on the skeleton and zombies thing, and aren't open to anything that differs from your narrow interpretation of a Necromancer.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

I'm gonna pipe in with my little 2 cents.

First off, I agree that the staple of necromancers is indeed raising the dead, adding a couple of skeletons couldn't had possibly harmed anyone, they could had done so and be done with it, and chose not to. HOWEVER, raising undead isn't the ONLY aspect of a necromancer. Necromancers are masters of death, they seek to defeat death, transcend it, go beyond it, raising a skeleton is what a newbie necromancer would do. Turn yourself into a lich, and craft bone and sinew into entirely new creations is what true Palemasters (the prestige class of the necromancer in the original D&D) can do.

When you can touch the thin veil between life and death and bend it to your will, that's when you are a necromancer.

Secondly, even though I am a loyal wow fan, I must admit, they've changed MAJORLY the actual staple of several classes and nobody has complained yet, its called creative freedom. WoW shamans have almost nothing to do with real shamanism (Which focuses more on talking to the spirits, serving as mediums between the spirit world and the physical world, and communing with the dead) and is instead more focused on the "bend the 4 elements" thingie.

Wow Druids have almost nothing to do with real druids, and its instead more shifted towards shapeshifting into animals.

If these felt fine to you, GW2 necromancers should feel fine as well.

Last but not least, the main reason why GW2s necromancers are NOT warlocks, isn't what they summon. It doesn't matter if they summon undead, demons, or schizo bunnies. What matters is how they gain their powers. Warlocks practice witchcraft, they gain their powers by making deals with the devil. Or in wow, they get their powers by capturing demons and sucking their powers dry. Thus a warlock gains lots of power, with very little research as long as your will is strong enough to bend the demons of the twisting nether to your will.

A necromancer (both in GW2 and elsewhere) don't just take a shortcut to power, they spend as many years as other magi in investigating life and death, and enhancing their knowledge of the dark arts. They didn't just signed a contract with a dark entity to gain their powers, they earned them the hard way.

I hope this can defuse the flames.

(*^_^*)

Por que odiar si amar es mas dulce? (*^_^*)

The OP is the best example of "nerdrage" I have ever seen, lol. Take a deep breath man.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrysia View Post

It is now clear you haven't actually played GW2, as that isn't a blood textured blob by any goddamn definition.
    This. I haven't taken a clear look at them ingame, but just from that picture alone, I can see bones, a tail, looks like two back legs? And guts inside some creature, looks like was cut in half.

Oh wait no, I just see a blood-textured blob.

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Moon View Post
    The OP is the best example of "nerdrage" I have ever seen, lol. Take a deep breath man.
    Oh god. That name and Avatar. I love you.
    Last edited by personn5; 2012-08-26 at 06:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysia View Post

Does it resemble any sort of creature to you? Human? Even animal?

No. Its just an abomination. Necromancers don't thread together meat and animate it. They animate bodies of people or creatures that already existed.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    After reading more and more of this. What you think of necromancer is right. But you are just picking on one thing that actually falls under necromancer in itself. If an sentimentalist started summoning fiends it would be kinda weird. Plus the blood fiend looks like a spirit designed to capture life force. Which is probably while it heals you as it attacks. It's feeding on the life of it's enemy and giving it to there master. Then you can just kill it for more life.

---------- Post added 2012-08-26 at 02:30 PM ----------

No. Its just an abomination. Necromancers don't thread together meat and animate it. They animate bodies of people or creatures that already existed.
    Actually they do. Diablo II did, remember the flesh golem? It was multiple bodies forced into one entity. So diablos necromancer can't be a necromancer anymore cause of that one ability out of all of them.

Deleted
    necromancers are fictional

10+ Year Old Account
    Necromancers don't thread together meat and animate it.
    That's... the very definition of a necromancer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Necromancers don't thread together meat and animate it. They animate bodies of people or creatures that already existed.
    Why not? It's not like there are hard rules on what Necromancers can and can't do.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Who says? Hell, most of the necromancers in popular fiction actually like to dabble in creating monstrosities, not just a simple raising.

Quote Originally Posted by Azsune View Post
    After reading more and more of this. What you think of necromancer is right. But you are just picking on one thing that actually falls under necromancer in itself. If an sentimentalist started summoning fiends it would be kinda weird. Plus the blood fiend looks like a spirit designed to capture life force. Which is probably while it heals you as it attacks. It's feeding on the life of it's enemy and giving it to there master. Then you can just kill it for more life.

---------- Post added 2012-08-26 at 02:30 PM ----------

Actually they do. Diablo II did, remember the flesh golem? It was multiple bodies forced into one entity. So diablos necromancer can't be a necromancer anymore cause of that one ability out of all of them.
    Diablo 2 necromancers also had skeletons. A LOT OF THEM. I was able to look past golems (Even though I feel like they are more fitting of an elementalist or theurigist than a necromancer) because I could look past them. I wasn't forced to use them.

That's... the very definition of a necromancer.
    I've yet to see any definition that states necromancers create only abominations. While I don't think its a stretch that they could, I think being able to simply SUMMON DEAD BODIES as a necromancer would sort of fit it nicely.
    Last edited by Alcsaar; 2012-08-26 at 06:32 PM.

alcsaar read my post pls. I think I explained it quite well

Por que odiar si amar es mas dulce? (*^_^*)