Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Morrowind View Post
    The developers themselves have stated that GW2 is avoiding gear being so important statwise. There is no epic loot or tier sets like we've seen before. Also if you are one-shotting everything in down-scaled zones then anet have failed to deliver what they promised, which is something I doubt.
    It's true though. i for one do ALOT more damage in low level zones. Not enough to one shot for now but still enough to make it imbalanced.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    It's true though. I for one do A LOT more damage in low level zones. Not enough to one shot for now but still enough to make it imbalanced.
    This is true. When I'm downleved by a couple of levels I notice that I'm slashing to most mobs like it's nothing. It's still challenging versus Veterans or multiple mobs, but one on one they don't stand a chance.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    It's true though. i for one do ALOT more damage in low level zones. Not enough to one shot for now but still enough to make it imbalanced.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynna View Post
    This is true. When I'm downleved by a couple of levels I notice that I'm slashing to most mobs like it's nothing. It's still challenging versus Veterans or multiple mobs, but one on one they don't stand a chance.
    It's a shame to hear that. As many GW2 PvE diehards looked forward to downscaling to content and having it be on equal terms.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a shame to hear that. As many GW2 PvE diehards looked forward to downscaling to content and having it be on equal terms.
    Well, I don't think it's that bad. You can still be challenged even when downscaled, but it doesn't take away the progression you've made. Or maybe it's a bug, who knows.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
    I think many people haven't played end game GW1 to see how Anet progresses pve content without increasing level caps or gear stats. GW1 has survived 7+ years without a level cap increase or stat increase, and here is how they did it, Rep grinds.

With each content release they added a new faction(s) that either gave you powerful new pve spells, or buffs that would increase your power when fighting minions of the opposing group the content was based upon as you increased your reputation with the friendly faction. For instance, in the EotN expansion you fought against the Destroyers, the Deldrimor Dwarves faction provided a buff that increased your damage and and provided a damage reduction while fighting Destroyers, and with each faction level the buff increased. So at the beginning of the expansion the first time you face the Destroyers on normal mode they were quite a challenge, as you progressed through the content they became easier and easier to kill (progression!) until you got to the point were you could start to handle them on hard mode. When the next content is released, instead of having to reset the whole game (which has proven to work so well for WoW and other gear based progression MMO's). You simply add new bad guys and a faction to deal with them and sell shiny new sets of stat neutral PvE gear, instead of rebalancing the entire game (including PvP) to scale up the PvE game.

Whether it Anet's system is better or than a gear based progression system, I'll leave to your own judgement, but to me it's just a different way to progress, and allows Anet to quickly add content without redesigning the game every few years, which is probably why GW1 has lasted so long.
    This brings up a good question, is the skill system just like GW1? You have/had (been a long time since I touched GW1) elites/rares to get additional spells?

Deleted
    People you should really stop all this doomsayer posts. You're not lvl 80, you havent step foot into explorable dungeon yet, and while levelling you certenly do get better, nicer, more powerful gear. Let it cool steam a bit, wait 2 weeks and then start your own reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by nemro82 View Post
    People you should really stop all this doomsayer posts. You're not lvl 80, you havent step foot into explorable dungeon yet, and while levelling you certenly do get better, nicer, more powerful gear. Let it cool steam a bit, wait 2 weeks and then start your own reviews.

It's not a doomsayer post. We haven't set foot in an explorable dungeon but we know what the experience encompasses. Also we know for a fact that there are no substantial gear upgrades at endgame.

Quote Originally Posted by CHALET View Post
    Because GW2 operates off "better looks, not better stats". It sounds nice on paper but when you put it onto paper people hardly go after gear so they can look good around the cities whilst they alt-tab.
    WoW and GW2 are two very idfferent animals, but I'll point to the introduction of achievements in WoW as a counter point -- all of the sudden, people started doing tons of old, outleveled content to get their achievement point, or vanity item.

GW2 has achievements, and many of them provide significant in-game rewards (as opposed to just points). The guy with the legendary 2 handed sword is definitely going to get alot more street cred than someone using quest reward gear.

The nice thing about GW2 though, is that its all achieveable to you at any time -- you just have to be good enough. Normalization of gear at the cap eliminates the gear discrepancy (and grind, where grind = necessity).

Quote Originally Posted by probert View Post
    WoW and GW2 are two very idfferent animals, but I'll point to the introduction of achievements in WoW as a counter point -- all of the sudden, people started doing tons of old, outleveled content to get their achievement point, or vanity item.

GW2 has achievements, and many of them provide significant in-game rewards (as opposed to just points). The guy with the legendary 2 handed sword is definitely going to get alot more street cred than someone using quest reward gear.

The nice thing about GW2 though, is that its all achieveable to you at any time -- you just have to be good enough. Normalization of gear at the cap eliminates the gear discrepancy (and grind, where grind = necessity).
    You say it like it's a bad thing, yet this is what [B]keeps[B] many PvE players in the game. The vanity aspect and the power aspect.

You say it like it's a bad thing, yet this is what [B]keeps[B] many PvE players in the game. The vanity aspect and the power aspect.
    I'd rather a game keep a community due to being fun, rather than the need to grind to stay competitive.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by rhandric View Post
    I'd rather a game keep a community due to being fun, rather than the need to grind to stay competitive.
    Many people find it fun though.
    Last edited by Morrowind; 2012-08-27 at 04:42 PM.

---------- Post added 2012-08-27 at 05:41 PM ----------

I'd point to Skinner but would be ignored, so *shrug*

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

Deleted
    And we dont care
    If u really find it fun , get Rift ,m where it upload patches every 1.5 months and play it with ur main game
    Last edited by mmocd9c65c8d53; 2012-08-27 at 04:43 PM.

Well luckily enough GW2 has no sub fee, so those people are free to play "that other game" that rewards mindless gear grinding for 1 more point of item level.

Quote Originally Posted by snowcrash512 View Post
    Well luckily enough GW2 has no sub fee, so those people are free to play "that other game" that rewards mindless gear grinding for 1 more point of item level.
    I can see you are not going to post anything that has meaning beyond your bias let alone anything that adds to the thread. Whether or not GW2 has a sub fee or not has nothing to do with anything in this thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    back to the misconception that there arent gear upgrades -_-...there ARE repeat...ARE GEARUPGRADES IN GW2 PVE!...the difference is it isn't a whole tier of difference like 200+ every stat they are more akin to sidegrades term from WoW...more optimized stats etc

Deleted
    I actually enjoy pve more then pvp in gw2

even though I used to be a pvp player

Quote Originally Posted by Shadzta View Post
    back to the misconception that there arent gear upgrades -_-...there ARE repeat...ARE GEARUPGRADES IN GW2 PVE!...the difference is it isn't a whole tier of difference like 200+ every stat they are more akin to sidegrades term from WoW...more optimized stats etc
    Well this is the point I am making. Anet themselves said end game gear is mainly cosmetic

I can see you are not going to post anything that has meaning beyond your bias let alone anything that adds to the thread. Whether or not GW2 has a sub fee or not has nothing to do with anything in this thread.
    You are trying to say its wrong that GW2 doesnt cater to those kind of people, its not, if you are one, go play a game that does cater to those people because GW2 isnt telling you that you HAVE to play it and nothing else.

Any clearer for you?

Quote Originally Posted by snowcrash512 View Post
    You are trying to say its wrong that GW2 doesnt cater to those kind of people, its not, if you are one, go play a game that does cater to those people because GW2 isnt telling you that you HAVE to play it and nothing else.

Any clearer for you?
    I think you've misunderstood the thread.