10+ Year Old Account

Wieghtlifting dilemma plz help....

hey guys,

So i have the adjustable bowflex dumbbells and the bench at home. Unfortunately, one of my weakass friends dropped one of them and broke it ( it wont latch on to the weight when you adjust the settings). Ive ordered a new bar but it will take a while before it gets here.

So here is my problem.... I DONT have a bar to do chest and I only have one working dumbbell. Other muscle groups I can manage, but I have no idea what to do for chest with only one dumbbell. Pushups arent going to help since i do them everyday anyway and they are more there for cardio and toning if anything.

SO wtf should i do for chest with one dumbbell and no bar ( though i do have a bench)....

Thnx in advance.

You can maintain your mass and strength with push ups in the interim, honestly. Push ups are still a great exercise. If you want to isolate muscles in your chest by placing your hands wider or closer to mid-line - it's a very good chest exercise for building strength. How many are you doing that you don't think they're building strength?
    Last edited by Drakain; 2012-08-28 at 01:28 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakain View Post
    You can maintain your mass and strength with push ups in the interim, honestly. Push ups are still a great exercise. If you want to isolate muscles in your chest by placing your hands wider or closer to mid-line - it's a very good chest exercise for building strength. How many are you doing that you don't think they're building strength?
    They are building strength, that im not disputing, though they arent building mass. I do 6 reps of 40 well controlled slow pushups.

Lol, i jsut never ever ever thought id run into this problem.... i think i reall have no choice but to do pushups....

I dont want to risk doing one hand dumbbell chest exercises and really fuck up my body by accident.
    Last edited by Aurust; 2012-08-28 at 01:33 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurust View Post
    I dont want to risk doing one hand dumbbell chest exercises and really fuck up my body by accident.
    I highly, highly doubt you're strong enough to do one-arm DB benchpress with a weight significant enough to cause yourself injury. Just do it, it's fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reqq View Post
    I highly, highly doubt you're strong enough to do one-arm DB benchpress with a weight significant enough to cause yourself injury. Just do it, it's fine.
    Yea you're probably right.... ill just use less weight if anything....

I dunno, just this situation came up sooooo unexpectedly, that i was like literally, wtf am I going to do now lol considering chest exercises was the one thing i never ever used a single weight for.
    Last edited by Aurust; 2012-08-28 at 02:28 AM.

Yeah, 1 arm dumbbell press should be fine.

You can also do this nice compound excersize:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercise...bbell-pullover

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by staart View Post
    Yeah, 1 arm dumbbell press should be fine.

You can also do this nice compound excersize:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercise...bbell-pullover
    The bowflex dumbbells that I have have a ridiculously large size.....chances of me hitting my head are high with that one

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurust View Post
    The bowflex dumbbells that I have have a ridiculously large size.....chances of me hitting my head are high with that one
    You can try to do the pullovers with a different grip: Instead of the grip suggested in the link staart posted, you can try gripping the handle with both hands (can't post pictures or links yet,sorry). This way you can avoid hitting your head while performing the exercise. I do it like that myself all the time and I'm using fairly large dumbbels.
    Here's a link of what it looks like:

d3vs5ss8iow0ry.cloudfront.net/video-library/thumbnail/dumbbell-pullovers_-_step_3.max.v1.png

Hope this helps

Get a gym membership.
    Ain't no chuch when you're living in the wild

10+ Year Old Account
    just use your weak ass friend and bench him lol

Thanks to Scythen for the sig

10+ Year Old Account
    IMO turn out Crossfit you might enjoy it.

1, get a personal trainer for 1 hour, so you dont kill your db's due to improper lifting

2, buy gear that'll actually take a beating without dying

3, 1 db is easily used for pecs, see 1 of you dont know how

Either way, get a personal trainer for a few hours, guys like you often end up with injuries or uneven growth due to terrible form, just considering 1hand db Press says it all.

Lifting weights need proper form, I cant stress this enough, I see tons of "baddies/casuals" like you every Day at the gym, and they're doing more harm than good, it's not a videogame and you will get several injuries if you just internet guide your training

Do some more difficult variations of pushups.
    For example, put your feet up on a chair and then do pushups. Not having your feet on the ground level, but instead 50cm up in the air (on the chair) pushes the center of mass towards your chest making the pushups twice as hard.

If that's not enough, do one-arm pushups.

If that's not enough, do one-arm pushups with your feet up on a chair. (also superman achievement unlocked if you can actually do more than 10 of those)