Page 11 of 37 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyriok View Post
    I must emphasize what Wynn has said.

My controller didn't work so I attempted to play with K+M it really doesn't suit the game at all it'll take alot of getting used to.
    I have been playing Dark Souls on PC since release, and personally I prefer to play it on a controller. However, there is NO reason why this game would be better suited for a controller at all. That may be an argument for this particular port, but this game itself is not better suited for a gamepad.

This was a silly argument I laughed at before buying this game on pc and even worse now after owning it. The movement and controls are really no different than what you would see with mass effect on pc.

Deleted
    Ah yes, another fail console port. I'm sorry, I'm bitter after trying to play Darksiders 2 with mouse and kb, and wasting money on Transformers: Fall of Cybertron which doesn't even let you rebind the keys.
    Seems devs don't even put any effort anymore into porting a game PROPERLY.

And no, I won't start using a controller just cause.

Quote Originally Posted by Collegeguy View Post
    I have been playing Dark Souls on PC since release, and personally I prefer to play it on a controller. However, there is NO reason why this game would be better suited for a controller at all. That may be an argument for this particular port, but this game itself is not better suited for a gamepad.

This was a silly argument I laughed at before buying this game on pc and even worse now after owning it. The movement and controls are really no different than what you would see with mass effect on pc.
    Not at all, I don't believe one is overly better than the other because it comes down to the users preference from my opinion the controls on K+M felt weird at first but just required me getting used to it, In the post you quoted me by saying "doesn't suit" I mean it doesn't feel right straight away and just requires a bit of tweeking and time to get the run down on it.

Otherwise if I was saying controller > keyboard I would have said its impossible or incredibly difficult, My apologies for the confusion.

Im really loving the game even though I only have 2 hours played :3

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Gaga View Post
    Ah yes, another fail console port. I'm sorry, I'm bitter after trying to play Darksiders 2 with mouse and kb, and wasting money on Transformers: Fall of Cybertron which doesn't even let you rebind the keys.
    Seems devs don't even put any effort anymore into porting a game PROPERLY.

And no, I won't start using a controller just cause.
    That's funny, I found Darksiders 2 to work really well on KB+M, I tried it on the Gamepad and it just felt really weird, probably because I was already used to the PC controls.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Maleficia View Post
    That's funny, I found Darksiders 2 to work really well on KB+M, I tried it on the Gamepad and it just felt really weird, probably because I was already used to the PC controls.
    Most of the time, yes, it works but especially during phases where you jump off walls and beams at weird angles, it shows the favor for controllers.

Well, just played a little bit of this game for appetizing (I will get back to it after getting my Skyrim fix lol). I'm at the wolf boss. But..... but.... my fucking gosh the interface.... the horrors... srsly... the PC version is just not ready.

Otherwise this game has a huge potential. It's crystal clear that this is the Japanese version of Skyrim and that's a very good thing. It's a totally different view on RPGs which is very fine.

Honestly, a controller isn't necessary for this game. My set up is:

Blocking = shift

Parry = shift + e

Lock on = shift + q

use item = q

and then I just work with that. The only thing that's truly aggravating for me when playing this game is that while locked on, since I use left click and right click for my attacks, the camera goes INSANE if I move the mouse too much and it switches to a target above me. I've died quite a few times just to this, but it's not enough to make me hate the game. Hell I'm at Anor Londo and I'm about to make the Lifehunt Scythe, I'm having a blast.

A gamepad is a MUST for this game. i'm using my PS2 controller with an usb conector, works like a charm

Dark Souls on the PC has to be the worst port ever. Utter garbage console graphics, resolution, controls and UI. Its unplayable and pointless without mods.

It's staggering just how much console shit that's been left in. A and B to do what? A game that FORCES me to use a game pad? For Pete’s sake, that is just ONE of the majors reasons why I’m not on a console.

Do not buy Dark Souls on the PC <Snip> the modder who's already made this game look better than it is on any console. Or bide your time and see if the community can salvage anything from it.

A shameful and very sloppy release.

<Please do not promote piracy on these forums, thanks>
    Last edited by Azuri; 2012-09-01 at 12:18 PM.

Why do people complain about using a controller for a PC game? I use one all the time for rpgs and more or less anything that isn't a FPS.

Makes like a shit load easier to control. Mouse and keyboard isn't a better control method. Its a different control method. Those who think its better are delusional.

Quote Originally Posted by Snidge View Post
    snip
    You seem really bitter about this for some reason. I'm having a blast with it though, bad console port and all. It was very kind of FromSoft to bring it to PC despite not knowing a thing about the platform.

Quote Originally Posted by steveyboy View Post
    Mouse and keyboard isn't a better control method. Its a different control method. Those who think its better are delusional.
    Dolan pls, tell this to any professional FPS player.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaceshaman View Post
    Dolan pls, tell this to any professional FPS player.
    I use one all the time for rpgs and more or less anything that isn't a FPS.
    Nice way to read.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Snidge View Post
    Dark Souls on the PC has to be the worst port ever. Utter garbage console graphics, resolution, controls and UI. Its unplayable and pointless without mods. [/I]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnY7A9r9Igg

Another game this is "unplayable" without mods. Yet, was still labeled one of the best games on PC from its own community.

Quote Originally Posted by Collegeguy View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnY7A9r9Igg

Another game this is "unplayable" without mods. Yet, was still labeled one of the best games on PC from its own community.
    Only because it made their teenage fantasies of "sleeping with alien" come on screen.

Ok, since someone bumped this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Led ++ View Post
    Nice way to read.
    Dark Souls is somewhat of an FPS. Basically you open with a nice headshot on an enemy mob. Then proceed with CQC button smash orgy with blocking and dodging. Casters play like FPS. Thieves play like rogues in WOW.

If you ever forget the FPS part, you will die to a lowly maggot in this game.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by steveyboy View Post
    Why do people complain about using a controller for a PC game? I use one all the time for rpgs and more or less anything that isn't a FPS.

Makes like a shit load easier to control. Mouse and keyboard isn't a better control method. Its a different control method. Those who think its better are delusional.
    Because games for the PC should have PC friendly controls. If I wanted to play a game with a controller, I'd play it on a fucking console! Regardless, it's a shit port, horrible graphics and poor controls for computer users, forcing us to spend extra money to play a game that should have been a visually superior version and at least have had some form of proper control layout.

I hate games that are too consolized, and Dark Souls is just another one of those games that lacks any upside to having a keyboard and mouse over playing it on a console, especially if you also own a console as well as a gaming computer. Why buy the version that isn't as good out of the box and requires you to modify the game and use a controller just to make it playable?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Because games for the PC should have PC friendly controls. If I wanted to play a game with a controller, I'd play it on a fucking console! Regardless, it's a shit port, horrible graphics and poor controls for computer users, forcing us to spend extra money to play a game that should have been a visually superior version and at least have had some form of proper control layout.

I hate games that are too consolized, and Dark Souls is just another one of those games that lacks any upside to having a keyboard and mouse over playing it on a console, especially if you also own a console as well as a gaming computer. Why buy the version that isn't as good out of the box and requires you to modify the game and use a controller just to make it playable?
    This is just completely false now.

I really wish people would stop spreading this because everything that was wrong with the controls on the pc were fixed within a week or 2. Mouse sensitivity has been fixed, camera has been fixed, lock on has been fixed, everything works perfectly. There were also a lot of lies I heard people spreading before the launch was released. I bought the game and saw that they were untrue.

Also, there are many PC games that are "unplayable" out of the box. Almost all blizzard games are unplayable out of the box, bethesda games are unplayable out of the box, mass effect 2 controls are unplayable out of the box. Hell, your operating system is also completely broken out of the box.. It needs updates and bug fixes. These fixes come from developers but they also come from volunteers or the community at large. When the community fixes it, its common for the developers to direct you to that fix and leave it at that. This is how the industry works because it's impossible to prevent all bugs and fix all of them.

If this is something that truly bothers anyone I would either: a) Suggest you find a way to make bug free code, and someone will gladly pay you a six figure salary for solving the biggest problem in the computer industry. b) Stay away from PC and stick to television and Iphone.

The guy you quoted is wrong though. The kb&m is completely optimal now.

Been playing this myself lately and I feel sorry for people who passed this because it isn't a perfect port. I've played games for 20 years and this is honestly one of the best games I've seen. The mood is completely unique and the multiplayer system makes the game world feel alive like no other single-player game(and even many MMOs). Also the graphics fix has been updated many times and now makes the game look better than it ever was on consoles with new features like FSAA, SSAO, etc. Really can't praise this game enough, haven't had this much fun ingame in years.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cakka View Post
    Been playing this myself lately and I feel sorry for people who passed this because it isn't a perfect port. I've played games for 20 years and this is honestly one of the best games I've seen. The mood is completely unique and the multiplayer system makes the game world feel alive like no other single-player game(and even many MMOs). Also the graphics fix has been updated many times and now makes the game look better than it ever was on consoles with new features like FSAA, SSAO, etc. Really can't praise this game enough, haven't had this much fun ingame in years.
    Is it playable without a controller? I'd just like to know since I'm not really ready to invest in one for pc... Otherwise I've been really hyped about the game.