Poll: What should I play for PvP?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Deleted

Spriest or Warlock?!

Hello everyone,

I have a Spriest at the moment and could grant a Warlock straight up to 80-81 as I think they look fun, but what would you guys suggest playing for PvP mainly?
    Last edited by mmoc1c679ab38d; 2012-08-30 at 12:27 PM.

Priests can utterly destroy now.

Deleted
    Warlocks, in my opinion, are more fun, because of their much larger toolkit. And that SPriests are esentially Warlock wannabes. Ironically, of course, they draw their power from two different sources lorewise.

Warlocks are really fun right now.

Deleted
    I have both. SP's are just murdering it right now, damage through the roof.

Deleted
    Shadow Priests have always been a niche spec ever since arena was introduced. Have usually worked well with rogues, mages and warlocks, but always been chosen for a setup either because of their strong dots, high burst, previous ability to dispel magic and unique synergy. Warlocks have almost always been working well in mainstream comps, whereas shadow priests have not.
    Since we don't know how things turn out it's hard to say. Shadow priests will always be fun to play in random BGs, but your ability to play arena as a shadow priest will highly depend on the current balance situation and how flexible you are in your ability to choose the optimal arena comp/partners.

If you want to play random BGs I'd highly suggest you to play shadow priest as that is usually very easy to perform well in (multidot, good tankability, strong self heals, nice burst and easy applyable CC), whereas if you really plan to invest a lot of time in optimizing your arena play style with a massive amount of keybinds and macros then I suggest playing warlock. There's always pretty high chances that hybrid caster specs wont do well in arena for 50-80% of the expansion, and if they actually end up as being fairly OP (like frost mage/sub rogue cata version OP) then don't expect it to last more than a half season at most.
    Last edited by mmoca20fa69a21; 2012-08-30 at 07:41 PM.

A Warlock is more fun IMO, but a Shadow Priest is half the effort for the same amount of damage, and survival. I think that's changing in Mists though because a lot of Warlock abilities are being fuisoned together like Curse of Weakness, and Curse of Tongues will become a single Curse. Warlocks do look like a hell of a lot of fun in Mists though, even with a lesser amount of abilities.
    Last edited by muto; 2012-08-30 at 08:12 PM.

Shadow priests are definitely op right now but omg, destro lock pvp right now is the funnest thing I have ever experienced in this game. Sure rogues can still destroy you but when you have your defensive buffs up, or you have a healer, or if no one is touching WOW can you put out some damage and more than that it's just plain fun. Not sure how to describe it, maybe just because its all new but healing with embers, damaging, (conflag crits for 45k atm) (hint: use grimoire of sacrifice, i love not having to use a pet and buffing the nukes so much). I've been absolutely dominating, i'm not sure if that's because it's op (I don't even have cata pvp gear so maybe it is:P) or I'm just having a ton of fun but try it out. Spriests are better currently but like I said for pure fun destro is where its at.

edit: i should add this is for level 85, i have beta, but haven't tried lock at 90 on it...
    Last edited by halfawake; 2012-08-30 at 08:15 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Warlock by far (I play both shadow and affliction at high end). Shadow is incredibly comp dependent and requires a lot of lay-ups to score kills (but with the right comp, it does this very well). People are scared of shadow right now because it (as always) scales better than everything by the end of an expansion, but that same trait will probably mean shadow is quite weak in the first season (it always is).

Warlocks have 3 specs fighting for viability in any one season, they're a pure - and that means they never really get neglected. Where as, if shadow sucks but disc is doing well - Blizzard just tells priests to respec or reroll for the rest of the expansion. All 4 specs are very fun right now - and if you want to talk about top tier arena competitiveness, warlocks - not shadowpriests - are what's going to be incredibly overpowered / broken next season.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Deleted
    I'd say warlock because they are obviously the better choice.
    Not that I'm biased, nope, not biased at all.
    Last edited by mmoc4c2ce9ba14; 2012-08-30 at 09:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Funkthepunk View Post
    Shadow Priests have always been a niche spec ever since arena was introduced. Have usually worked well with rogues, mages and warlocks, but always been chosen for a setup either because of their strong dots, high burst, previous ability to dispel magic and unique synergy. Warlocks have almost always been working well in mainstream comps, whereas shadow priests have not.
    Since we don't know how things turn out it's hard to say. Shadow priests will always be fun to play in random BGs, but your ability to play arena as a shadow priest will highly depend on the current balance situation and how flexible you are in your ability to choose the optimal arena comp/partners.

If you want to play random BGs I'd highly suggest you to play shadow priest as that is usually very easy to perform well in (multidot, good tankability, strong self heals, nice burst and easy applyable CC), whereas if you really plan to invest a lot of time in optimizing your arena play style with a massive amount of keybinds and macros then I suggest playing warlock. There's always pretty high chances that hybrid caster specs wont do well in arena for 50-80% of the expansion, and if they actually end up as being fairly OP (like frost mage/sub rogue cata version OP) then don't expect it to last more than a half season at most.
    This sums it up

Deleted
    I'm not looking for a OP class just a viable class to play in both arenas and BG's

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fexers View Post
    I'm not looking for a OP class just a viable class to play in both arenas and BG's
    I'm pretty sure all classes will be viable in arena. Just go with what you like. I myself am currently lvling a warlock myself (almost 85, she's 84 atm) and I gotta say it's pretty fun. Especially destro.

Shadow priests seem like they're pretty strong in MoP. They deal pretty solid damage and have quite a bit of utility.

Spriest. Hands down. I have both and lock already went down the road of nerfs etc.

Most fun though: DA demo pvp (melee lock) pr destro lock. In DA you are really hard to kill and obliterate your natural bane (rogues). This reason is enough to play DA lock

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fexers View Post
    Then both are equally capable options, but warlocks still have more choices for arena comps than shadowpriests, and are less likely to get nerfed and then be left nerfed for seasons on end (because warlocks have three specs to shadow's one).
    Last edited by Yvaelle; 2012-09-02 at 12:21 AM.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter