Guild Wars 2 Cost of Production

How much did guild wars 2 actually cost to make in total?

Does anyone know?

Please don't just post arbitrary numbers at least give a credible source for your numbers.

10+ Year Old Account
    You know it's going to be significant.

Quote Originally Posted by Abstieg View Post
    You know it's going to be significant.
    How significant though?

A gut feeling says its well below swtor numbers.

well i dont know but somewhere i read that they already made their initial investment back from the prepurchases and pre-orders so i assume around 60-70 million since the game is rumored to have sold over 1 million copies

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldschoolwow View Post
    How significant though?

A gut feeling says its well below swtor numbers.
    I, too, have a feeling it's below SWTOR numbers, probably because SWTOR has the words 'Bioware' and 'Star Wars' on the front.

Quote Originally Posted by Hjalmtyr View Post
    I, too, have a feeling it's below SWTOR numbers, probably because SWTOR has the words 'Bioware' and 'Star Wars' on the front.
    well TOR sold like 2.5 or 3 million so its a large number to surpass

but it did cost around the 100-150 million area so again even thought theu sold more they did need more to recoup the investment.
    Last edited by antonatsis; 2012-09-01 at 03:56 AM.

It's well below SWTOR for a number of reasons .

1: Star wars had multiple movie quality cinematics which in themselves would have be a huge part of the budget .
    2: They had much much more advertising including Television and a massive couple of events in multiple cities .
    3: SWTOR used a whole other seperate company to build the game engine so that cost was higher then it probebly would have been to develop it in house .
    4: Every quest in starwars as an animated cute scene with full voice over.....so tons more animation and voice work then in GW2

I personally love SWTOR I would be playing that but it makes my old computer over heat....which is really sad since GW2 does just fine and has much better graphics . SWTOR has a bad game engine ..LOL

Btw you need to count the countless ads swtor did when Gw2 has practically nothing

Deleted
    I remember a number of 15 million dollars being bounced around for initial investment, but with marketing and the rest of the costs that's probably a small fraction.

Quote Originally Posted by antonatsis View Post
    well TOR sold like 2.5 or 3 million so its a large number to surpass

but it did cost around the 100-150 million area so again even thought they sold more they did need more to recoup the investment.
    Well the game had over 1 million pre purchases and 400k concurrent users during the headstart, before the official release. swtor didn't have that many concurrent users even after official release.

I have a feeling if you add in the retail sales for the official release the games surpassed swtor. But that part of my post is just speculation, i don't really know how many retail copies they have sold since the official release.

I'm going to add in my source so you know where I'm getting this information from.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...ws-and-patches

"One million people bought the game before release (pre-purchase), and over 400,000 have been playing at the same time. (Side note: Star Wars: The Old Republic had 350,000 concurrent players around launch) Presumably, those numbers are going up. "Yeah," agreed Mike O'Brien. "Yes they are. They're going up a lot.""
    Last edited by Keldrath; 2012-09-01 at 06:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HavaanSoup View Post
    I remember a number of 15 million dollars being bounced around for initial investment, but with marketing and the rest of the costs that's probably a small fraction.
    So if the $15 million is to be believed as the I.O. Then the sale of 1 million copies at $50-60 per game covered that. But what about marketing, salaries, operating costs, etc?

It's unlikely that gw2 was a cheap project, i.e less than $50 million in total. Although I have no numbers to substantiate my claim.