Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    You do realise this vote is pretty much useless when you cannot vote for the country you live in?
    Not because of the bias, but simply because of mathematical complications, greatly favouring small countries.

Just as an example: You have country A with 80 voters on mmo-champion, and the smaller countries B with 6 users and country C with 8 users.
    You can easily see, country A can only get a maximum of 14 votes, while country B or C could get a maximum of 86/88.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gronch View Post
    last time i checked europe is made out of country's. and i'd say UK or Germany, depends wich of get's acces to the USA's nukes first,
    Not Germany, not if they change their laws on nukes heavily, like allow themself to have any. (No, it won't happen)

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by VelmuVeera View Post
    I don't understand how the hell you can include Denmark to Scandinavia by any geographical means as it is pretty easy to see that it isn't connected to that peninsula at all. It really depends on how you want to define Scandinavia but the nothern part of Finland is a part of the peninsula at least.
    Scandinavia isn't just a geographical term. It's also got to do with the historical and linguistic connections.

That's how Denmark is included. Danish, Norwegian and Swedish are quite alike while Finnish doesn't sound anything like it. Historicly the three countries are also intertwined, whereas the only major connection Finland has is that it used to be under the rule of Sweden.

Heck if you just go with the geographical part, you may as well include Russia into it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shâréz View Post
    Scandinavia isn't just a geographical term. It's also got to do with the historical and linguistic connections.

That's how Denmark is included. Danish, Norwegian and Swedish are quite alike while Finnish doesn't sound anything like it. Historicly the three countries are also intertwined, whereas the only major connection Finland has is that it used to be under the rule of Sweden.

Heck if you just go with the geographical part, you may as well include Russia into it.
    Yes I got no problems in including Russia in Scandinavia as well, and imo it would be smarter to call the areas that get called "fennoscandia" for some strange reasons just Scandinavia, would make a lot more sense. Indeed there is some differences between Finland and the rest of the countries from the past, but nowadays it's really only the language which makes a difference between Finland and Sweden, Norway and Denmark.

I don't understand how the hell you can include Denmark to Scandinavia by any geographical means as it is pretty easy to see that it isn't connected to that peninsula at all. It really depends on how you want to define Scandinavia but the nothern part of Finland is a part of the peninsula at least.
    I take it you didn't read any of those links then. "Scandinavia" isn't strictly a geographical term. I never made any claim Denmark was part of the Scandinavian Peninsula.
    Last edited by Soulless Cynic; 2012-09-02 at 05:36 PM.

Definitely not England.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruthless View Post
    It's not hard to understand, but what if someone living in a certain country truly believes that country is the best? You should add "if you think that your country is the best, choose the second best" to your question...
    Fair point, edited.

You can't just say that Turkey is in Europe because 5% of its areal is in Europe. There is a geographical border between Europe and Asia but the border between Europe and Asia is often defined by cultural differences. Turkey hasn't definitely a European culture and imo it's not a part of Europe. Everyone got their opinion though, and in this case it's more about ones personal opinion on where that country belongs, but even geographically Turkey isn't really a part of Europe.
    Geographically Turkey is in Europe. It's a small part, but it is. The same way Kazakhstan has a very small part in geographical Europe. Only for Turkey it's more obvious since they don't have the giant Russia spanning around them.

And by your cultural definition of Europe, Bosnia&Hertzegovina isn't in Europe because they have a muslim majority. Do you consider them part of Asia?

Quote Originally Posted by Puri View Post
    You do realise this vote is pretty much useless when you cannot vote for the country you live in?
    Not because of the bias, but simply because of mathematical complications, greatly favouring small countries.

Just as an example: You have country A with 80 voters on mmo-champion, and the smaller countries B with 6 users and country C with 8 users.
    You can easily see, country A can only get a maximum of 14 votes, while country B or C could get a maximum of 86/88.
    True, and if this indeed was a problem if I had made a North America thread, for Europe it is not. There are 27 countries in the EU alone, while in the outside of the federation but inside Europe there's quite a few more. Plenty to chose.

Quote Originally Posted by Puri View Post

I don't think this applies here. The majority of voters seems to be oriented towards norway, sweden or switzerland, and we have several voting norway because they are swedish and several voting sweden because they are norwegian...

10+ Year Old Account
    When in doubt, go for (what will be the eventual) winner of the world, Sweden. ^_^

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.

Deleted
    I'd propably go for Denmark or Norway. Got lots of friend's in both, and they seem alright in different area's too. :>