Thread: NCAA football

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Muto what is that record in the last 15 years. Also the BCS title game has been around since 98 and in that time SEC has won 8 out of 14 and the Big 10 has won 1 out of 14. Michigan has the most all time wins but that doesn't mean they are the best team now because they won a ton of games in the 50's 60's 70's 80's and 90's.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    marcelos11,

Ya they dominated all right, they dominated at turning the ball over (4 times), and getting penalized (10 times for 90 yards). They're lucky to win with those stats. Oh and Syracuse, UNLV, Northern Illinois, and Southern Miss. are all in Division 1.

Also skarsguard,

B1G vs SEC all time series head to head is 108-95-6 with the B1G on top, this was recounted after the 2011 season. So no. B1G>SEC.
    2 of those turnovers were deflections.
    the fumble was the fault of Lippett. granted they had lots of turnovers, but tips are tips and you cant really blaim the QB for those.
    they also had nearly Double Boise States yards, and never gave up a TD while on Defense despite 3 red zone trips. id say thats pretty dominant.
    as far as the penalties go, personally i think the late hit out of bounds was pretty much BS as the hit started while he was in bounds, but yeah, MSU did rack up a lot of penalties.
    and yes Skarsgard, UM got DOMINATED by Bama on all sides of the ball, ill give you that hands down, but that MSU BSU game could have easily ended up 31-3.
    as for Big 10 versus SEC while yes Big 10 is ahead all time, but thats like saying UM > MSU because there all time record is retardedly one sided towards UM, when in fact, in recent history its quite the opposite. SEC > Big 10 right now, and MSU > UM right now. as in today. you know. when it matters.

---------- Post added 2012-09-02 at 03:17 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by skarsguard View Post
    Muto what is that record in the last 15 years. Also the BCS title game has been around since 98 and in that time SEC has won 8 out of 14 and the Big 10 has won 1 out of 14. Michigan has the most all time wins but that doesn't mean they are the best team now because they won a ton of games in the 50's 60's 70's 80's and 90's.
    actually it was even before then that Michigan won a ton of games.
    Since MSU joined the Big 10 (i forget when, but it was in the 40's-50's range) MSU has more NC than Michigan does.
    Most of Michigans National Championships came before 1950.
    as a matter of fact, 10 off 11 came before 1950...

10+ Year Old Account
    I actually think MSU is in a better spot then UM now but man It's like I said a few post ago they win games they shouldn't win and lose games they shouldn't lose. MSU is also usually a "Sexy" pick for the NC and I usually get fooled into thinking they are going to go but then something crazy happens. Hopefully in a couple years we will see more opening games that pit great traditional teams together like Bama/UM. I would like to see the Sooners v. Florida st. open up a season or USC vs Ohio State something like that.
    Last edited by Skarsguard; 2012-09-02 at 07:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by skarsguard View Post
    I actually think MSU is in a better spot then UM now but man It's like I said a few post ago they win games they shouldn't win and lose games they shouldn't lose. MSU is also usually a "Sexy" pick for the NC and I usually get fooled into thinking they are going to go but then something crazy happens. Hopefully in a couple years we will see more opening games that pit great traditional teams together like Bama/UM. I would like to see the Sooners v. Florida st. open up a season or USC vs Ohio State something like that.
    A sexy pick for the Natl. Championship is whatever team Nick Saban is coaching.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    A sexy pick for the Natl. Championship is whatever team Nick Saban is coaching.
    so 15 years ago MSU...

15+ Year Old Account
    That Michigan game was embarrassing. I'll say this though, at least Michigan and Michigan State played nationally relevant teams rather than Miami OH like OSU, Northern Iowa and nearly blowing the game like Wisconsin, or Ohio and actually blowing the game like Penn St. Still think they will be competitive in the B10, but it just goes to show how far behind the B10 is from the SEC.

10+ Year Old Account
    Looks like Vandy and Auburn are the only SEC losses. No surprise there. Wait a couple weeks so we see who really deserves their spot. Bama plays Arkansas, Florida plays Tennessee. But next week should be good too, Texas A&M and Missouri play their first SEC games. Missouri will probably get manhandled by Georgia, not so sure about Florida and A&M.

It was good to be back in Autzen Stadium last night. Mariota looks solid and DeAnthony and Kenjon are just extremely fast as always.

However, our secondary was making some basic mistakes in the 2nd half which has me a bit worried about how much our defense got hyped up. Boyett is great but Ark State made some really telegraphed plays that we did basically nothing about.

10+ Year Old Account
    I knew Ark State was going to lose last nite but with their new coach I think they will destroy their division.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Projali View Post
    It was good to be back in Autzen Stadium last night. Mariota looks solid and DeAnthony and Kenjon are just extremely fast as always.

However, our secondary was making some basic mistakes in the 2nd half which has me a bit worried about how much our defense got hyped up. Boyett is great but Ark State made some really telegraphed plays that we did basically nothing about.
    I agree with you. The primary offensive setup was as good as expected but the defense just didn't convince me. they played pretty good against the rushing plays but the throwing defense just didn't seem to be there. I'm afraid they'll be playing a similar game against USC compared to last year.

I also think Ducks have a bit weaker schedule compared to last year which makes it harder for them to get a championship rank even with a undefeated status.

Otherwise it was a excellent season start and I'm a bit sad i wasn't able to make it.. The flight from Finland to Seattle and the train to Eugene were just too much for my budget this year. Maybe I'll make it to the Bowl game or next year's starter.. who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Aesedai View Post
    I agree with you. The primary offensive setup was as good as expected but the defense just didn't convince me. they played pretty good against the rushing plays but the throwing defense just didn't seem to be there. I'm afraid they'll be playing a similar game against USC compared to last year.

I also think Ducks have a bit weaker schedule compared to last year which makes it harder for them to get a championship rank even with a undefeated status.

Otherwise it was a excellent season start and I'm a bit sad i wasn't able to make it.. The flight from Finland to Seattle and the train to Eugene were just too much for my budget this year. Maybe I'll make it to the Bowl game or next year's starter.. who knows.
    Personally, I think Aliotti ripped them a new one in the locker room for that 2nd half.

An undefeated season means we've beaten ESPN's sweetheart USC at least once, maybe twice (who knows, maybe Utah wins the south?). Stanford could be ranked again by the time we play in November after they "presumably" lose to USC.

But who knows, it could be another BCS 2001 (Rose Bowl 2002) scenario.

Deleted
    Personally, I think Aliotti ripped them a new one in the locker room for that 2nd half.

An undefeated season means we've beaten ESPN's sweetheart USC at least once, maybe twice (who knows, maybe Utah wins the south?). Stanford could be ranked again by the time we play in November after they "presumably" lose to USC.

But who knows, it could be another BCS 2001 (Rose Bowl 2002) scenario.
    I have to say I'm yet to find out what kind of line up Stanford has for this year but I think the USC game is the only really meaningful game in this year's schedule and I fear that's not enough especially if the top tier turns out the same as last year. A loss to USC could mean barely a top 10 rank since the game is played so late in the season and if the Stanford doesn't stand out during it.

I'm not too aware how the rankings have gone before last year as I discovered college football just last fall but I'd hoped a better non-conference opponent than Arkansas state. Now I think O's need a little help from other conferences to make it top two. Maybe if they go undefeated and win the pac12 championship game convincingly.. I don't know..

Otherwise I glad so see Oregon is as exciting team is it was last year when I first saw it play.

10+ Year Old Account
    Florida picked a quarterback, but it doesn't matter either way. Both are pretty inefficient, so unless Gileslee stays healthy, we're boned.

Va. tech and Georgia Tech, good game. Both teams seemed to struggle pretty bad on offense. OT win for Va. tech, on a fail interception by G Tech.

alabama looks dominant again. no team was more impressive to me. oregon looks like they always do, tough against teams who can't match their talent or speed. not sure i'd put USC on the same tier as alabama. michigan got whipped about as bad as hawaii did, just that hawaii wasn't a BCS 11 win team last year

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account

Did we play our second string defense during that game? I agree with you that we looked pretty bad. I mean, 34 points - that's ridiculous.

---------- Post added 2012-09-04 at 03:29 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Aesedai View Post
    . . . I'd hoped a better non-conference opponent than Arkansas state. Now I think O's need a little help from other conferences to make it top two. Maybe if they go undefeated and win the pac12 championship game convincingly.. I don't know..

Otherwise I glad so see Oregon is as exciting team is it was last year when I first saw it play.
    Well, Ark St. is their best game in non-conference this year. Fresno this weekend - wtf? I guess everyone gets some ez-mode games on their schedule.

15+ Year Old Account
    new rankings are out. suprised Michigan fell all the way to 19. i expected them to end aruond 15.
    also sparty leaps over UW but thats not as suprising.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by marcelos11 View Post
    new rankings are out. suprised Michigan fell all the way to 19. i expected them to end aruond 15.
    also sparty leaps over UW but thats not as suprising.
    Ya that is a patently absurd fall. Michigan lost to the team that won one the most dominating Nation Championship game potentially ever and while they looked over matched against Bama, they didn't fail to get the ball past the 50 like some other team I can think of. Michigan fell behind VT who looked absolutely awful against Georgia Tech, TCU who didn't play, Wisconsin who nearly lost to an absolute nobody, South Carolina who nearly lost to a team that is outside the top 7 in the SEC, etc.
    Last edited by conscript; 2012-09-04 at 06:26 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    Ya that is a patently absurd fall. Michigan lost to the team that one the most dominating Nation Championship game potentially ever and while they looked over matched against Bama, they didn't fail to get the ball past the 50 like some other team I can think of. Michigan fell behind VT who looked absolutely awful against Georgia Tech, TCU who didn't play, Wisconsin who nearly lost to an absolute nobody, South Carolina who nearly lost to a team that is outside the top 7 in the SEC, etc.
    to be fair i think UW is better then UM right now, but some of those others are absurd.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by marcelos11 View Post
    to be fair i think UW is better then UM right now, but some of those others are absurd.
    I wouldn't necessarily disagree about Wisconsin. They are probably about equal or slightly better than Michigan. They didn't look good in week 1 at all outside of Ball though.

---------- Post added 2012-09-04 at 02:35 PM ----------

I was just reading SB Nations weekly alphabetical on week 1, inferior to the numerological column since numbers>letters, Jesse Williams the enormous DT for Bama has "I stopped checking for the monster under the bed when I realized the monster is me." tattooed on his hands. That is fucking awesome.

Nebraska - UCLA will be interesting, and to be honest, I think UCLA will be tougher then most all of the B1G teams except Michigan, Ohio State, and possibly Northwestern, and Michigan State. Nebraska just hasn't been great at stopping the run, and more specifically running QBs since Ndamukong Suh was there
    Last edited by muto; 2012-09-07 at 02:32 AM.