Spriest newbie needs help with pvp rotation

Hi guys I want to know how you guys cast in pvp. I am currently lvl 45 and just got mind spike. It consumes my dots, so I am not sure when I should mind spike. I've already got glyph of mind spike which indicates I should cast it before mind blast due to the castin speed increase.

Can anyone guide me as to the pvp "rotation" and how mind spike factors into it?

Deleted
    use the talent from darkness comes light. enjoy

Mind spike was designed in cata as a source of quick burst. It used to give +30% crit chance to next mind blast per cast (as a stacking debuff on target), and reduce the cast time of mindblast by half (again, stacking). The latter part is now a glyph, the former was removed completely. You don't want to use mind spike outside FDCL procs anymore, in general. It still remains a doubleschool spell, meaning that you can cast it if you're locked in shadow.

PvP is about situational awareness. There's no such thing as a rotation.

Most of the time knowing your opponent is far more important than knowing your own class.

As for Mind Spike, I think it will still see some use, outside of FDCL procs, 'cause it's still the only direct dmg spell w/o a cooldown we have in our arsenal.
    When you cried I'd wipe away all of your tears
    When you'd scream I'd fight away all of your fears
    And I held your hand through all of these years

Mind flay was more effective last time I checked. Just in terms of direct damage.

Quote Originally Posted by veiledy0 View Post
    PvP is about situational awareness. There's no such thing as a rotation.

Most of the time knowing your opponent is far more important than knowing your own class.

As for Mind Spike, I think it will still see some use, outside of FDCL procs, 'cause it's still the only direct dmg spell w/o a cooldown we have in our arsenal.
    Don't use mind spike withot the FLCD.

Just put dots up and MB as often as you can (Devine Insight is nice for PvP) and roll of DP with some cooldowns/silence

Quote Originally Posted by Celentes View Post
    Mind flay was more effective last time I checked. Just in terms of direct damage.
    it's still the only direct dmg spell w/o a cooldown we have in our arsenal.
    Mind Flay isn't direct dmg, Mind Flay is a DoT.

Quote Originally Posted by eErike View Post
    Don't use mind spike withot the FLCD.
    Wrong. Use it in BG's on targets that don't have dots whenever you get interrupted on Shadow school.
    When you cried I'd wipe away all of your tears
    When you'd scream I'd fight away all of your fears
    And I held your hand through all of these years

Talbarad (a really really good player) made a shadow priest PvP DPS guide for MoP. Maybe it has some uses for you. Link is below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7UqAMAbsXI

15+ Year Old Account
    Dot everything up, focus one target, MB it on cooldown and wait for 3 orbs for DP. Then you can chose to go all out on the main target or to switch someone who is out of position (healer in most cases) you redot that target cast DP followed with MB.

Ofcourse take FDCL and use the procs whenever it comes and have MS glyphed for instant MB.

As someone above said, there is no rotation. In pvp you are reacting and adapting on current situation.

---------- Post added 2012-09-03 at 03:19 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Alzu View Post
    Talbarad (a really really good player) made a shadow priest PvP DPS guide for MoP. Maybe it has some uses for you. Link is below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7UqAMAbsXI
    Arguably one of the best shadow priests world wide.

Wrong. Use it in BG's on targets that don't have dots whenever you get interrupted on Shadow school.
    Wrong, don't get locked in the Shadow school.

Honestly though, don't cast mind spike without the proc. If you're locked, you suck and needs to learn how to face cast. If you are not, just don't.

Mind Flay isn't direct dmg, Mind Flay is a DoT.
    Clarify the difference between direct damage spell and dot then. A channeled dot which requires you to stand as much and cast as much as a normal direct damage spell, while being better in terms of damage output. You're better off casting mindflay than spikes with the current state of the latter.

yes I see that FDCL makes it a "4.3 exorcism"-type of spell. But that kinda makes Mind Spike only really usable with FDCL talent. Doesn't that force us to only take FDCL? I imagine this + the Glyph of Mind Spike is the ideal combination for burst. (Vamp Embrace-> Mind Spike proc -> Mind Blast cast time reduced).

And I guess only use as a last ditch spell when locked out of shadow as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Booniehat View Post
    yes I see that FDCL makes it a "4.3 exorcism"-type of spell. But that kinda makes Mind Spike only really usable with FDCL talent. Doesn't that force us to only take FDCL? I imagine this + the Glyph of Mind Spike is the ideal combination for burst. (Vamp Embrace-> Mind Spike proc -> Mind Blast cast time reduced).

And I guess only use as a last ditch spell when locked out of shadow as well?
    First, no it doesn't force us to take FDCL. What does force us to take FDCL is the horrible design of SWI and the fact that mindbender doesn't scale off the number of targets. You don't 'have' to use mind spike to play shadow. Similarly, taking FDCL doesn't give you a real way of casting MS either - outside of procs, MS is still bad.
    Glyph of mind spike is a part of FDCL's utility really, although in pvp it does give you a benefit of three instants once you fish up procs.
    Second, yes it is a last ditch spell when locked out of shadow, except you are free to spamheal yourself at that point.

I've said it and I'll say it agian. Don't use mind spike in PvP unless you are absolutely forced to (read: school locked) and if you are, you're probably better off dispelling something from your partners or your oponent anyway.

Reasons for this is the following:

1. The proc increases the damage by 50% of your mind spike. It will hit like a wet noodle without the proc.
    2. It removes dots, dots in PvP is gods gift to us as they are a souce of constant pressure. Unlikely other classes we can maintain high pressure on many targets with lots of dots. removing that for a sudden short burst is never smart, just wait untill you can throw off a mind blast and bring them down to a shadow wor : death phase instead.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mind Spike's "niche" in PvP is either if you are locked out of Shadow and still need to burst something down, or to be used in accordance with From Darkness Comes Light, which gives you free mind spike casts. You want to keep your dots on as many people as possible, mind blast on cooldown when you aren't getting focused, and use Devouring Plague intelligently (whenever you need hard burst on someone, make sure they aren't likely to dispel it off, it's a lot of damage to lose). Phantasm and Spectral Guise are nice talents to take if you plan on pvping.
    Stelmaria | Phantasien

Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
    I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.

So I see!

Thanks a ton for the help guys. Spriests are insanely fun to PVP with