Thread: Dungeons

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nemro82 View Post
    If I could only play them on my holy pala, that would be amazing ;P
    TBH I feel that "np holy tinity" will kick ANet in the nuts in near future, without it there's just zerg and corpsrun. At least if they implemented taunts, and longer cc that would be really helpful.

Melee is fucked in this game, on my last dungeon (CM) I never even got downed once, but warrior and guardian were screwed.
    huh when we did CM the lone ranged engineer (Mif) was downed like 5 times every fight because for what ever reason they decided they wanted that little asura 200% dead.... poor guy...
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Any other dungeons have fun activities? Cause, once again, PvE has a lot of fun factor in it. Whereas dungeons seem like a filler for global content. That's why after having fun in PvE dungeons felt really dull.

I managed to get into AC with a guild group yesterday and I did enjoy it. Was difficult, and a little bit fresh, but compared with, say, Tera, where you are responsible for your own life as well as the tank being responsible, it was lacking a little bit. I didn't actually feel like I was responsible for keeping me alive bar running away when I got low and waiting for Endure pain and my heal to come off cooldown. One thing that would go miles to fixing this is being informed when an enemy has you targeted, so I know to expect some pain, if I have to kite, and more importantly, get some proper use out of the dodge mechanic. With Tera, the mobs telegraphed a little too obviously, but in GW2 it's difficult to see most of the time, and I much prefer it being obvious so I can do something, than not obvious and end up dead.
    RETH

I did AC a while ago for the first time on my thief. I was level 46, so I got downgraded to 30.

Was with a group of people that were in their mid 30's.

It was awful. That's pretty much the only way I can describe it. For me, as a thief, I couldn't even stand by a mob to use my daggers. I had to resort to using a shortbow. I'm not a goddamn ranger. Every single mob and boss had aoe abilities that would wreck me, or even oneshot me. It was impossible to stay in melee range and survive for longer than 3 seconds. Literally.

Obviously, the rest of the group had similar problems. On almost every trash pull, at least 2-3 of us would be in our downed state at least once. There wasn't a single boss where someone didn't die. We had to keep using waypoints and running back to zerg the bosses.

I don't know what to say. The solo portion of this game is fine, except some of the story quests which are way overtuned.

I think we can get by without tanks, but it feels like the game is just missing more healing power. I think if every class's self-heal was groupwide, that would be a step in the right direction.

Our dungeon was just constant downed state and death with running back on every single trash pull and boss. It was a very bad experience.

Edit: Oh, and I finished the dungeon completely naked, due to all of my gear breaking from the countless deaths.
    Last edited by fps90; 2012-09-03 at 11:27 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    A few things:

I don't play WoW. Was not making a comparison to WoW. Never was on about "zerging" either.

These are imaginary arguments I have not made or support.

Not that it matters to this point, but I specifically said I liked GW2's style of dungeons. Also I have keenly pointed out dungeons in GW2 vis-a-vis other games is not a matter of better or worse. Merely a difference in gameplay style. Which is more than fine.
    Well you're statement about "no depth" in GW2's dungeons had to came from some kind of comparison.

I played most MMOs, including "old" ones like Anarchy online or DAoC. I know it's too soon to pass a judgement about a game after only after 3 full explo dungeons finished, but I can't remember a game where dungeons had so much depth. Please point me to mmo you had in mind, I would gladly look in to it.

Quote Originally Posted by fps90 View Post
    I did AC a while ago for the first time on my thief. I was level 46, so I got downgraded to 30.

Was with a group of people that were in their mid 30's.

It was awful. That's pretty much the only way I can describe it. For me, as a thief, I couldn't even stand by a mob to use my daggers. I had to resort to using a shortbow. I'm not a goddamn ranger. Every single mob and boss had aoe abilities that would wreck me, or even oneshot me. It was impossible to stay in melee range and survive for longer than 3 seconds. Literally.

Obviously, the rest of the group had similar problems. On almost every trash pull, at least 2-3 of us would be in our downed state at least once. There wasn't a single boss where someone didn't die. We had to keep using waypoints and running back to zerg the bosses.

I don't know what to say. The solo portion of this game is fine, except some of the story quests which are way overtuned.

I think we can get by without tanks, but it feels like the game is just missing more healing power. I think if every class's self-heal was groupwide, that would be a step in the right direction.
    Same thing happened to me, specially with those rangers packs. If there is no way to beat those rangers easily, then they are clearly broken (they are way more deadly than bosses). As for melle, I don't know yet, but I believe the dying all the time/ using ranged weapons come from the fact that people have that "more dps is always better" mentality, maybe if people put some more toughness/ vitality (or even + healing) in their gear than they won't die so often and will actually be able to melle? I noticed that even a small amount of vitality could boost my health by a large amount.
    Last edited by parcus; 2012-09-03 at 02:26 PM.

Deleted
    I don't know if everyone is building wrong for dungeons but I never had any problem in story modes. When I did AC yesterday we had 1 wipe and that was the Monk, Mesmer and Warrior pack that got out of control.

If you're being one-shot, and I mean just straight up one-shot on story modes, then you definitely are doing something wrong, you need more toughness + vitality. You must be building like a glass cannon because, as a melee necromancer, I can tell you that while melee might be screwed over more, you should never be one-shot unless the ability was very clearly telegraphed.

Those rangers are an absolute bitch though. That trap shot is so hard to see since it's an instantly firing brown projectile against a brown background in a brown dungeon. As for graveyard zerging, if people are dying in the fight then something is going wrong, too. We only had 2 mid-fight deaths and those were on The Lovers. The key to not graveyard zerging is to watch teammates' position and HP and revive them when they go down. You can manually do this (make sure to throw a protective ability or two over yourself while doing it) or you can use an ability some classes have that allows them to revive multiple people.

Simple as this: You wouldn't raid in WoW with a levelling build. Don't do dungeons in GW2 with a solo DPS build, because it won't complement you very well. You'll be hit for a tonne of damage and you wont be able to back up your team.

Quote Originally Posted by Hjalmtyr View Post
    If you're being one-shot, and I mean just straight up one-shot on story modes, then you definitely are doing something wrong, you need more toughness + vitality. You must be building like a glass cannon because, as a melee necromancer, I can tell you that while melee might be screwed over more, you should never be one-shot unless the ability was very clearly telegraphed.
    I came to the same conclusion, after dying a lot. The game is incredible bad at teaching this things. There is no good notification, any piece of armor has only two stats sofar (~40). Thus you could get the imagination ther are offensive pieces (power, condition, precision), defensive pieces (toughness, life) and healing. Sorry, but that is exactly the holy triangle (or what ever it is named).

When the armor would inherit some toughness, some life and some other stats I would get how things are. And everyone should get more or less. But till mid 30s ther where never a problem with my pure condition, precision, double axe warrior on massiv bleed and crit damage.

Wildstar Black Ops - loved by strangers

Deleted
    I think that way too many bosses could use an extra mechanic ability or two. I am sometimes falling asleep during the boss fights, in all honesty.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Keren View Post
    I came to the same conclusion, after dying a lot. The game is incredible bad at teaching this things. There is no good notification, any piece of armor has only two stats sofar (~40). Thus you could get the imagination ther are offensive pieces (power, condition, precision), defensive pieces (toughness, life) and healing. Sorry, but that is exactly the holy triangle (or what ever it is named).

When the armor would inherit some toughness, some life and some other stats I would get how things are. And everyone should get more or less. But till mid 30s ther where never a problem with my pure condition, precision, double axe warrior on massiv bleed and crit damage.
    You clearly aren't making your own armor and weapons.... Sir there are many pieces of armor that gave you an even mix, for example, there's power vitality, power healing power, condition damage healing power, toughness condition damage etc, etc, etc

Don't even get me started once you get to the 3 stats... I think everything other then rampager and berserker (if the names didn't give it away already) has at least one offensive and one deffensive stat... I fail to see how you can build as a glass canon or the immovable object brings back the holy trinity.... Especially seein as how glass canons can only take 1-2 hits from a boss before dying, and immovable objects not only don't deal damage, but bosses tend to ignore them, so unless your ranged use him as a meat shield or he's the "rezzer bitch" as my friends so delicately put it... He's useless, same with the glass canons since mobs REALLY like to one shot people...
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Keren View Post
    No, that is not the holy trinity. The holy trinity is when you have players filling specialized, generally mutually exclusive roles (tank, heal, DPS, or in some incarnations, tank, heal, CC).

Just because there are three "somethings" doesn't make it a trinity model.

Deleted
    I just did my first explorable (TA) and it was pretty awesome despite being a bit of a confusing mess. I am REALLY looking forward to running all the dungeons, just wish I could find some people to run with me

But... I mean, they are pretty "simple" tactics wise, CM especially is a massive zerg, the others I've done are less so, and I assume that things are going to become more involved on explorable mode, but only a few bosses have real tactics and those are pretty simple. I do think CM is the easiest and least involved dungeon though so anyone who's only run CM isn't getting the big picture, there are some pretty fun fights in other dungeons.... but if you're looking for super involved complicated tactics well I haven't come across those yet either.