Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    because MoP didn't live up to the unrealistic game changing expectations some people have for every expansion
    +1

I love that people get this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not a fanboy but the "genre defining" comes from the fact that it does what all of those other games do but puts them all together well enough. Like how what WoW originally did with Everquest, Runescape and whatever older games were out there at that time.

Action gameplay like TERA and Vindicitus
    Story Quest like SW:TOR and Age of Conan (never played the latter)
    New age graphics, unlike older games such as WoW and CoH
    Dynamic questing from RIFT
    A Cash Shop that doesn't have Pay 2 Win
    One time fee/No subscription (apparently the new way to go for MMO's)
    A solid IP/Story/Lore that ties the game to a franchise and gives a sense of nostalgia (SW:TOR to the KOTOR series, WoW to Warcraft 3)

It's funny. I'm surprised myself, but GW2 did what WoW did in 2004: compile the best of the games out there and make it their own. It's not too surprising. But I'm having a ball and I can play this while playing a certain other MMO because of the no subscription fee. GW2 won't be any kind of MMO king, but I can see this game lasting anywhere from 5 to 10 years if the bugs get squashed, expansions roll out and they make a good, honest profit using the cash shop.

"With King's Light and Lion's Roar, By kingdom's pact, our spirits soar, Against the Darkness, we stand in defiance, Even in death, Glory to the Alliance!" - Ken Silver, Human Hunter

It will be genre defining when developers start doing GW2 clones instead of Wow clones.

gw2 = same old same old

current wow = watterig down of a genre

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by banyentertainment View Post
    gw2 = same old same old

current wow = watterig down of a genre
    i wouldn't say same old same old... GW2 (although not super redefining) has a lot of different aspects from other games, instead of just trying to copy wow like every other recent mmo...
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

The best part of gw2 is that it's casual, you're not in a race to get to the max level. They have made the game to where you can enjoy its content at any level, and the game leaves you in charge of taking care of yourself by removing the trinity of tanks/heals and dps so if you die it's your fault. I can play for an hour and get alot done and have fun, as opposed to WoW where it takes 45 minutes to do one dungeon with a queue.

Agree on all points.

Deleted
    Tbh I ignored all the GW2 hype for the past 6 months other than checking out a few warrior videos. And I must say, this game has given me something that WoW hasn't given me for a looooooooooooong time. And I totally see myself playing this game in 2 years, because I'm finding it fecking amazing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by papajohn4 View Post
    man I am tanking from vanilla in a good guild..I am not just stay there waiting things to happen, but as a tank most of the times you have to stay as still as possible rather than moving mobs around and melee lose precious seconds of dps..I said it is weird that I don't actively dodge attacks, it doesn't have the feeling of the action...there is no movement...activating a trinket just gives you more % into RNG table..damage reduction cd's just give you a % less damage and are specific moments that you use them in each fight..I fight a boss 20 times and all those times I use my damage reduction in specific moments. Its easy to imagine things that you are actively dodge things, but the truth is that all you can do is help the rng and stay still there staring at the DBM timers..you don't see the monsters around you raising their weapon to hit you and you immediately dodge them..
    Well you also said you could actively block, well by actively blocking do you mean like in both wow and gw2 where you press a button at the right times to guarantee a block as opposed to tera where you physical position yourself to block? ID rather press buttons than constantly roll to avoid damage, but it is a preference I guess, I just think the roll mechanic is a pointless gimick, id rahter interupt a spell than dodge it either by fears, stuns, interrupts or spell reflects or if those are on CD id rather chuck in a damage reduction or call out for a healer to top me up etc. I understand where your coming from but to me WoW offers a far greater pot of tools to stay alive than GW2 does, only reason I quoted was the whole just waiting for rng and lazy design, its not, and blizzard are working to tanks having a more active defense mechanic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Retarded fanboys is where you're hearing it from.

It is like this with every MMO. People want it to be the WoW Killer, and those people who want it to be the WoW killer are just as shallow and stupid as the people who do nothing but bash the game.

It's an okay game, but I am bored of it already. The PvE content could have been better, and I'll probably play it again next month if World of Warcraft's PvP balance doesn't pan out too well.

But really, that is one of the reasons why I bought Guild Wars 2 - Because I don't have to dedicate myself to it. I can just come back to it whenever.

Deleted
    It just flat out doesn't.

It's a solid game, but massively overhyped and given far too many silly buzz phrases.

Just ignore what was said about it and enjoy it for what it is, one of the best "casual" mmos I've ever seen, easy to log in for a few minutes and feel like you've both accomplished something and had fun doing it.

Deleted
    and blizzard are working to tanks having a more active defense mechanic.
    Like Orks warriors from warhammer , building rage and and use it properly for active block or other attacks ? :P
    Had such a great time , tanking 100 ppl in the open pvp :P
    Last edited by mmocd9c65c8d53; 2012-09-04 at 05:25 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandrake View Post
    It's an okay game, but I am bored of it already. The PvE content could have been better, and I'll probably play it again next month if World of Warcraft's PvP balance doesn't pan out too well.
    Wow, pvp balance...I guess you'll be playing it in a month :P Altho I have yet to see too much pvp GW2 doesnt seem to be that much more balanced, but it isnt as bad as stunlocking RMP combos.
    Last edited by draykorinee; 2012-09-04 at 05:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    In some sense it may GROW in popularity when MoP comes out (you know there will be people who quit because MoP didn't live up to the unrealistic game changing expectations some people have for every expansion)
    On the other hand, there would also be people who will quit GW2 because it's not their cup of tea. The interesting thing is that you can't really "quit" GW2 since there's no sub. I might play a lot less when MOP comes out, but hey, I bought it already.

This is one reason I LOVE GW2 - it gives me another MMO to play without demanding commitment. I had to ditch a lot of games because subscriptions were forcing me to chose between WoW and them. It's really great that GW2 avoids this.
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

The game is genre defining (at least for me) in that it is just fun to play. Whenever I go to work on part of my story quest line I will always get caught up stumbling around the map finding DEs and Hearts. And the thing that gets them for me is that I don't mind. They always feel fairly fluid in the world. Like today I was doing my Human story quest in the Fields of Ruin. After completing two steps in it I worked out a heart near the waypoint it dropped me off at. As I do this heart I talked to some sick person and he's asking me to get his medicine so I run off in the direction he pointed out and find myself battling renegades for medicine! After doing this I stumbled away to get a Vista and found myself following some engineer across the zone on his quest to purge some harpies. For me it was never tedious to help these people or do these things, it always felt very fluid and natural.

Well you also said you could actively block, well by actively blocking do you mean like in both wow and gw2 where you press a button at the right times to guarantee a block as opposed to tera where you physical position yourself to block? ID rather press buttons than constantly roll to avoid damage, but it is a preference I guess, I just think the roll mechanic is a pointless gimick, id rahter interupt a spell than dodge it either by fears, stuns, interrupts or spell reflects or if those are on CD id rather chuck in a damage reduction or call out for a healer to top me up etc. I understand where your coming from but to me WoW offers a far greater pot of tools to stay alive than GW2 does, only reason I quoted was the whole just waiting for rng and lazy design, its not, and blizzard are working to tanks having a more active defense mechanic.
    But GW2 also has Stuns, Immobilize, Fear, Spell/Projectile Reflect, Blind And yes Shield Block to my warrior in wow can "Actively" block the next attack but after theorycrafting, it is best to always use it on cooldown rather than use it on big attacks because it is overall better damage mitigation. So even if the ability is there, the encounters are designed to blindly use it. There are extremely rare situation when you have to keep shield block for specific usage instead of using it on cd. I guess it is a matter of preference then, I love the dodge mechanic in gw2, I don't consider it a pointless gimick..I guess the problem with wow is addons that makes fights predictable and having watching in the timers instead of the boss. I know that when this timer ends I will need to interrupt/spell reflect/block/use trinket e.t.c. I know what to expect, I know what I will do in the whole fight, I don't react to the environment/mob animations. Thats why it feels much less action to me. Maybe if there wasn't addons it would feel much more different
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

15+ Year Old Account
    When people said that GW2 would be revolutionary and redefine MMO gaming as we know it, I think some of the more skeptical people, and some of the people predisposed to dislike the game, thought that they meant GW2 was turning water into wine, when in fact they're really just making it sparkling water. If you expected something DIFFERENT then of course you're going to be disappointed. But if you thought of redefining in the sense that it takes the same things and gives them a new polish then yeah, that's more appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleros View Post
    When people said that GW2 would be revolutionary and redefine MMO gaming as we know it, I think some of the more skeptical people, and some of the people predisposed to dislike the game, thought that they meant GW2 was turning water into wine, when in fact they're really just making it sparkling water. If you expected something DIFFERENT then of course you're going to be disappointed. But if you thought of redefining in the sense that it takes the same things and gives them a new polish then yeah, that's more appropriate.
    This is a bad analogy because wine sucks and sparkling water is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Silver View Post
    Not a fanboy but the "genre defining" comes from the fact that it does what all of those other games do but puts them all together well enough. Like how what WoW originally did with Everquest, Runescape and whatever older games were out there at that time.

Action gameplay like TERA and Vindicitus
    Story Quest like SW:TOR and Age of Conan (never played the latter)
    New age graphics, unlike older games such as WoW and CoH
    Dynamic questing from RIFT
    A Cash Shop that doesn't have Pay 2 Win
    One time fee/No subscription (apparently the new way to go for MMO's)
    A solid IP/Story/Lore that ties the game to a franchise and gives a sense of nostalgia (SW:TOR to the KOTOR series, WoW to Warcraft 3)
    - The gameplay is nothing like Tera. Tera IS a true action combat. In this game you still have a "Tab targeting". If you would have played Tera you would have known that.
    - Story quests are nothing like SWTOR. The story telling in SWTOR is the best one in an MMO to date. To bad it's the only thing Bioware nailed in their game.
    - Graphics are good but are nowhere near new age. I've taken a good look at them and while it has cool textures the polygons are still low on many objects. Again Tera has way more polygons per object then GW2 and arguably better textures.
    - Dynamic event aka a Rift rip-off.
    - no P2W cash shop. Maybe, we will see what the future brings.
    - B2P the good thing about the game, I won't deny that.
    - It doesn't even come close to the SWTOR or WoW lore.
    Last edited by Sebbah; 2012-09-04 at 06:26 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammyspudd View Post
    Tbh I ignored all the GW2 hype for the past 6 months other than checking out a few warrior videos. And I must say, this game has given me something that WoW hasn't given me for a looooooooooooong time. And I totally see myself playing this game in 2 years, because I'm finding it fecking amazing.
    The only reason I bought GW2 was because of how disappointing TOR was. Now I am so glad that I did. GW2 has given me back that feeling I got in early WoW and that I've been looking to get back ever since. A surprising achievement considering how picky I am.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.