Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymitylol View Post
    Does anyone have proof hardcore are 1% and casual baddies are 99%? Are these the only two playerbases? I'd love to see Numbers since I see people throw this Number around ever since bashiok used it once and wasn't even an official statistics post.
    There is no proof of that because these numbers are meaningless and purely arguing materials.
    Even in the most exclusive time of WoW, there was like 2-3 % bleeding edge (and I say "bleeding edge", not just "hardcore") guildes overall - the ones that killed Illidan when most of the people were still wiping on Kara/SSC and the like. There were about 10-15 % more guilds that you could consider "hardcore", or at least "semi-hardcore". And there was a lot of more casual guilds (all this from the numbers we saw on progression sites that scanned the armoury to see the proportion of people killing bosses).
    Don't forget that, just like hardcore guilds often have several casual players, casual guilds also often include several hardcore players. Don't forget either that it's not because you're not progressing at a high level that you don't enjoy progression - many guilds that were in Karazhan at the end of TBC still had fun killing bosses here and didn't ask for a free pass to BT, simply aiming at whatever target was in their reach.

But it sure feels much more righteous to show the evil 1 % trying to force their will on the helpless 99 %, than to show a very nuanced spectrum of people with lots of differing opinions.

As an ex-hardcore player I'll tell you. I grew up, got a life, and no longer have just hours on end to blow on progression for gear that is slightly better than what the entire server has.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sivick View Post
    As an ex-hardcore player I'll tell you. I grew up, got a life, and no longer have just hours on end to blow on progression for gear that is slightly better than what the entire server has.
    The term "got a life" always bothered me. I have a life now and am semi-hardcore, I'm sure you had a life and were "hardcore." Life is what we choose it to be, not what others dictate. You saying you got a life is a pretty foolish statement, when you could have said "changed my priorities."

Quote Originally Posted by Sivick View Post
    Looks like you were raiding for the wrong reasons to begin with so not suprising. I have an hard time to understand how dedicating yourself to a past-time or a hobby is a sign of immaturity tough, but i guess getting so drunk you roll under the tables every week end is a sign of maturity.
    Last edited by GrieverXIII; 2012-09-03 at 08:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zergal View Post
    Looks like you were raiding for the wrong reasons to begin with so not suprising. I have an hard time to understand how dedicating yourself to a past-time or a hobby is a sign of immaturity tough, but i guess getting so drunk you roll under the tables every week end is a sign of maturity.
    Raiding back then was fun when you were in a stage of your life when you could afford to raid for hours. But when you actually discover other, more meaningful ways to spend your spare time (and there are quite a lot of them) or when your other, more important interests take over, it fades away to the background.

Yes, even getting drunk after you meet some new people, maybe even a nice girl, and having a great time outweighs any epic and 5 hours in a heroic raid.
    Last edited by Syran; 2012-09-03 at 09:57 PM.

lol 6 year old niece.

not a 10/10 but clearly a lot of people are fooled.

Quote Originally Posted by Syran View Post
    Raiding back then was fun when you were in a stage of your life when you could afford to raid for hours. But when you actually discover other, more meaningful ways to spend your spare time (and there are quite a lot of them) or when your other, more important interests take over, it fades away to the background.

Yes, even getting drunk after you meet some new people, maybe even a nice girl, and having a great time outweighs any epic and 5 hours in a heroic raid.
    The 'more meaningful things' you seem to be talking about are probably not the same meaningful things to everyone. They sound more like the preoccupations of a college student. I've tried the "meeting new people" thing and the "getting drunk" thing, and after a year of trying to conform to the social life society thinks I need, I realized how much I hated it. The only thing that keeps me from raiding like I'd like to (and yes, I'd like to be able to raid like I used to in vanilla) is my job. I'm able to maintain all of my other meaningful things - like my family, significant other, pets, not living in a trash heap, etc - while being a full time raider, as I know from experience. After I got a real job, though, that was the nail in the coffin.

I still enjoy playing wow a lot, but I just can't commit to a hardcore guild. If I need to go into work on a raid night or I can't raid for three weeks because of a business trip, I need my guild to be okay with it and not kick me for bad attendance because I'm busy supporting myself.
    Last edited by Pascal; 2012-09-03 at 10:21 PM.

You're EXACTLY the kind of person for which I made the addendum in my post...

my guild finished getting heroic deathwing mounts for everyone that raided DS back in May and decided to take a break till MoP and we aren't even what you would call hardcore.

Why keep raiding a single boring tier for so long, it's more likely to make people sick of the game more than anything.
    Last edited by hellboyy; 2012-09-03 at 11:27 PM.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    OP: The easy answer is the best...They grew up...Got a life...Cut on the playtime...You know...like normal people

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account

That's a shift in priorities, you're not magically becoming more mature by not raiding anymore. If you had the focus and determination for it, you would still be hardcore. Doesn't have much if anything to do with time.

Quote Originally Posted by Netherfall View Post
    That's a shift in priorities, you're not magically becoming more mature by not raiding anymore. If you had the focus and determination for it, you would still be hardcore. Doesn't have much if anything to do with time.
    You're not becoming more mature by not raiding anymore, your raid time decreases gradually because you're becoming more mature and because your priorities change because of that. If the day had more than 24 hours you could fit a 5 hour raid in there and raid until you're 60. When you're in high-school/college/unemployed dropout, blowing a whole day or at least a couple of hours per day on raiding may not seem like a big deal, but when you get a job, a serious girlfriend, spending that much time on one computer game starts feeling redundant because there's so many more important things to do (unless you got a GF from wow).

The game has been made more accessible so it might seem like there are proportionally less hardcore players, but there are probably more now than ever

Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    You're EXACTLY the kind of person for which I made the addendum in my post...
    I read your addendum. Being hardcore is not immature by itself (at least in my eyes), it's great fun and experience but there comes a certain age, or a certain set of situations when not dealing with your priorities in real life while putting raiding above all is a sign of immaturity.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nythion View Post
    I realize with wow becoming so easy you can play it with your penis.
    Just a word of advice, this is an awful way to start a thread. It make you (appropriately) look like an idiot.

Anyway hardcore players are still here doing the hardcore content.

I read your addendum.
    I doubt it, or you have serious reading trouble, considering the rest of your post is just repeating the EXACT VERY THING this addendum proved wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    I doubt it, or you have serious reading trouble, considering the rest of your post is just repeating the EXACT VERY THING this addendum proved wrong.
    Your addendum proved nothing, the second paragraph applies to some other guys' post, and the first paragraph is your definition of "growing up", where you say that by saying "growing up from hc raiding" means HC by itself was immature. I then replied to that, not my problem if you can't see a connection between the two posts.

There are no more hardcore players left in wow, sure a lot of players that used to be hardcore still play wow casually now. Hardcore is by design and you choose if you feel it's worth being hardcore. The game doesn't allow you to be anything but a casual player now. Also all these players that say they casual often spend more time in wow then players that play for guilds like paragon, who just put a lot of initial time in to clear the content and then can focus on other area of the lives and still be successful.

There is a lot of people that still login into wow just for the purpose of chatting with the ingame friends they still have, I mean there is so much better things to do in life then to be 6 months > into Dragonsoul.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Okay let's clear a few things up:

1 - Whether or whether not the OP is a troll, you do not ever call someone a troll, it's a direct violation of forums rules and we go harshly on it.

2 - I went through so many posts here and in between some nice conversation, people end up with spam/flaming posts. These got infracted, please don't disrupt a conversation with your useless posts. This goes on any forums.

3 - Lastly, this is a warning post, if there are further breaking of rules with spammy posts and flaming, I'll lock this thread or another mod. There can be a good debate going on through all the bad comments within, this is why I do not wish to lock this thread yet, even though it would save the mods sifting through the garbage.
    Last edited by Azshira; 2012-09-04 at 10:51 AM.

Why did all the best guilds state that Heroic Ragnaros was the most difficult fight to date, but there are always posts saying how easy WoW is now? Seems like a pretty massive conflict.

Quote Originally Posted by RAWRF View Post
    This ^

@OP: You're an amazing liar about your 6 year old niece. At least make up a plausible lie if you are going to lie. Otherwise you just look like a moron.
    Yea there is video proof of a paralyzed kid hitting 1800...aswell as 45~ in halo 3 with sticks taped to his palms and an oral device made to press w/ his tongue. So I dont find it impossible for a 6yr old to play a video game as good or better.

---------- Post added 2012-09-04 at 10:46 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Applenazi View Post
    Why did all the best guilds state that Heroic Ragnaros was the most difficult fight to date, but there are always posts saying how easy WoW is now? Seems like a pretty massive conflict.
    Because they did 500 attempts on the fight inside of the first month of release...follow the 1 meteor strategy which was done within a month of the first kill and the fight is a joke.