Gold for Gems and Gems for Gold

So I heard this theory today that you could watch the conversion rate, and say you buy gems in the morning and sell em for gold in the evening, like at the moment 1 gem = 3,6 silver, but in the morning it's around 2,9. Anyone thinks it's a viable tactic?

Sure, why not? It's simple market trading.

offtopic a bit, I hate that word..."viable."

Doesn't work, take a look at the buy and sell prices - the buy price is higher than the sell price at any given point. Just like commodity prices in GW1, there's an artificial inflation (or deflation, from a selling point of view) of the price so you can't make money out of doing nothing but playing on regular price fluctuations.

No arbitrage, yo.

i.e. This weekend when I looked, buying 100 gems would cost you ~35s, selling 100 gems would earn you ~29s.

So... yeah... go for it if you want your money to disappear into magical gold-sink land a few silver at a time.
    Last edited by Drakhar; 2012-09-04 at 07:35 PM.

Deleted
    You'll probably find that it doesn't take long before enough people are doing this that the different between the morning and evening reduces to the point that it's not worth doing any more, so if the price does seem to fluctuate predictably throughout the day/week, take advantage of it now before you miss the chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakhar View Post
    Doesn't work, take a look at the buy and sell prices - the buy price is higher than the sell price at any given point. Just like commodity prices in GW1, there's an artificial inflation (or deflation, from a selling point of view) of the price so you can't make money out of doing nothing but playing on regular price fluctuations.

No arbitrage, yo.
    There you have it I guess.

Deleted
    Drak, if the price changes enough over time though, then that isn't necessarily always the case, but it does make it harder/less likely,

Quote Originally Posted by FleckerMan View Post
    Drak, if the price changes enough over time though, then that isn't necessarily always the case, but it does make it harder/less likely,
    Problem is I haven't seen it vary enough to account for the difference in the short term. I'm with you though - I've been buying gems consistently over the past few days in the hopes that they'll be worth quite a bit more a month or more down the line.

Just sayin' in the terms the OP is bringing it up you won't be able to make money in the short term.

Let's just say I've been looking in to this topic since launch

10+ Year Old Account
    Last time I checked there was a lowest price at about 15 silver for 100 gems within the last five days and the highest was 25 silver.
    Sounds like it's possible if you like playing with it.
    Sing like no one is listening - Love like you've never been hurt
    Dance like no one is watching - Masturbate like no one else is on the bus

Quote Originally Posted by Rhywolver View Post
    Last time I checked there was a lowest price at about 15 silver for 100 gems within the last five days and the highest was 25 silver.
    Sounds like it's possible if you like playing with it.
    As stated we'd need much larger swings in the market to be worth it. What your looking at was the conversion of gems>gold, on the other hand the gold>gems converson is higher mostly rangeing from 25-35 over the same period. when you open up the exchange window it always defaults to the gems/gold price. Cycle between the two and watch the numbers it indicates you'll notice a 7-10 silver swing in the prices between the two.

Who is John Galt?

It's just like any stocks on the stock market; except you carry a risk if the prices doesn't actually go the way you wanted it (say the trading post goes one extended maintenance for few days, they release a patch, etc etc)

It's up to you to decide if having to log on twice at very specific times of the day, and taking that risk, is worth the profit you'll get.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seolla View Post
    It's just like any stocks on the stock market; except you carry a risk if the prices doesn't actually go the way you wanted it (say the trading post goes one extended maintenance for few days, they release a patch, etc etc)

It's up to you to decide if having to log on twice at very specific times of the day, and taking that risk, is worth the profit you'll get.
    Well, it's not like any stock, since this is deliberately weighted against sale price. With the stock market, you buy and sell at a set value. With GW2, you buy at X value, then sell at X value minus Y value.

You need to buy/sell gems/gold for over a month to get a good profit depending the time invested and risk...

Also as it is now is about 2 gold for 10 euro (800 gems)... it is ridiculous. If this is their way to prevent boting then ok...T3 cultural armor, a rare armor that you get only for skin cost 119 gold or 600 euro...I can see lot of sites/bots selling gold in human prices. Everything in the game is way overpriced considered the gold you can make playing..I am playing pre-launch for 8 hours a day at least and managed to have 1,5 gold, and probably today I will give this 1 gold for a book so that I can spend my traits..

I don't know what they have in mind? "You are going to eat the carrot" if you play for 100000000 hours to get the gold or if you spend 10000000 euro to buy them...so we will not put you gear to grind for like the bad previous MMOs did but we will make you grind for gold many many hours and days..

this is my first and only complaint about the game. I know many people will say, you don't need to get the Cultural armor, you can get other armor cheaply or you can craft one...Well I can also say, that if you don't raid in other games, you don't need armor at all to grind also...you buy a game that eliminate grind and reward skill..I want a way I can get this beautiful cultural armor by using my skill...as I said, this is my first and only complaint, otherwise game is insanely fun and beautiful, but economy so far is from the worst grinds.
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

well the best thing to do if you really wana have a lot of gold,is to buy now and sell in a month or two.At this point the amount of gold that players have and need is abysmal.When there will be a healthy pool of players at leel 80 and sudently the cost of living will sky rocket due to repairs and teleporting.Aslo comodities for crafting and the obviously legendary farming.Then Gems will cost way more.As for the gold i dont think its a problem,i mean i am 45 and i have spent 1 gold for the book at 40 and 2 gold for gem buying so that makes it 3gold,without taking in consideration repairs and teleporting(each teleport its like half a silver and i tend to use it a lot :P and i am not going to speak for repairing :P )Oh and take in mind the TP wich will net you quite some money,i already made 60 silver and just sold in 1 copper over the makret value,meaning iam nto even trying to play it to make money and i have made some to keep me going.

Quote Originally Posted by papajohn4 View Post

Everything in the game is way overpriced considered the gold you can make playing..I am playing pre-launch for 8 hours a day at least and managed to have 1,5 gold, and probably today I will give this 1 gold for a book so that I can spend my traits..
    I don't understand how you can play so much and have earned such a small amount of gold. I have played for less and am on 4 gold and have bought the 3 trait books as well as levelled a crafting discipline to the top.

Once people have figured out how to make gold in this game the 100g priced items won't seem so steep.

As it stands it is far better to pay RMT gold -as in buy gold online.