Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lizon View Post
    I think the problem there had more to do with the fact that the priest in that log cast Spirit Shell a total of 4 times over the course of 24 minutes of logs. That wasn't a failure of the class, just the player. If you have a 1m cooldown that can absorb up to 1m damage in a 25m raid I would be damn sure to cast it on cooldown. In that log the priest in question only got 1.3 million in absorbs, it should be around the 8 million mark for that particular fight.

26% of his healing was done by atonement....Atonement!
    They didn't cast Barrier once, and I'm pretty sure he could have used it, at least on the tanks/melee.

So yeah, looks like poor gameplay by the priest in question.
    I wouldn't go with "poor play", but instead go with us not knowing what is actually going on in the log. For all we know they could have brought to many healers and the disc was forced to do dmg instead of heal. Also it's quite common among disc priests to switch to attonement-dps if healing required is low overall, but very spikey where less healers will have a hard time. Also the log is a month old before all the nerfs/buffs.

Just to give you an example we did Madness HC yesterday. While it's doable with 2 healers, it's very rough on mana, so we went with 3 instead. The 3rd just dps' and helps here and there when required. http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...?s=3848&e=4509 Almost 35% of my healing comes through attonement, am I also doing "poor gameplay"?
    Last edited by mmocff76f9a79b; 2012-09-06 at 04:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yilar View Post
    I wouldn't go with "poor play", but instead go with us not knowing what is actually going on in the log. For all we know they could have brought to many healers and the disc was forced to do dmg instead of heal. Also it's quite common among disc priests to switch to attonement-dps if healing required is low overall, but very spikey where less healers will have a hard time. Also the log is a month old before all the nerfs/buffs.

Just to give you an example we did Madness HC yesterday. While it's doable with 2 healers, it's very rough on mana, so we went with 3 instead. The 3rd just dps' and helps here and there when required. http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...?s=3848&e=4509 Almost 35% of my healing comes through attonement, am I also doing "poor gameplay"?
    As a Disc priest you would be the one least effected by having more healers in the raid. Absorbs always get counted before direct healing. You can have as many extra healers you want in a raid and it shouldn't effect your throughput as much as say a restro shammy, or a restro druid, or a holy priest.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/t...m/healingDone/

That's my heroic madness kill from last night.

Looking at the damage coming in and the duration for that damage then looking at what cooldowns he used it is obvious that he wasn't even trying. Not trying = Poor Gameplay in my book.

If I was in your raid with the 3 healers I would have made it my job to turn the pally and shammy into puddles of goo by using my absorbs to make them look like noobs who barely hit 85. Course I'm evil in that regard.

In any case the log given was being used as an example of why Disc Priests were "bad" when in fact it was just a case of a Disc Priest not healing to their fullest potential.
    Last edited by lizon; 2012-09-06 at 06:16 PM.

The healer in question is from midwinter, you can assume that he is playing at a level much higher than your average lfd player. Having tested the disc spec myself on beta, very often you are simply oom and your spells heal for a pittance. I had fights where my top heal was prayer of mending, just cause I spent the majority of the time flat on mana and just waiting for it to regen.

At level 90, spirit shell stacking requires a huge investment in mana, and it is on a 1 min cooldown. It is certainly very strong on heavily nerfed and farmed DS content, where you can count to ten and know the exact incoming damage or your raiders no longer fail randomly. During fresh progression though, incoming damage can be unpredictable and you'll find yourself useless outside of some light padding with spirit shell once every 60 seconds.

What we are seeing on live with overpowered t12 2p set bonuses is a very different experience on beta 90. Fortunately, holy spec with inner will isn't completely awful.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yilar's point is that rather than snipe tons of healing through absorbs when the pressure is low for the number of healers you have brought to the encounter, disc can go the other direction and increase raid dps and simply atonement heal until the pressure hits where having that additional healer is useful. This path doesn't make your numbers look good at all, but it can be the most effective approach to dealing with the encounter.

Disc dps isn't high enough that I would consider bringing one in instead of say a shadow priest who can use Vampiric Embrace should the other healers need help (any other dps spec class that can heal should be fine)

Deleted
    God people never learn. Stop looking at level 85 raids they mean next to nothing. Stop looking at logs of fights you haven't tried and of people you don't know. Organised guilds have specific assignments and some assignements are naturally low in healing. For example if on madness a priest is asked to use spirit shell to absorb impales, his healing is going to suffer massively.

Disc at level 90 right now has serious problems: 1) Low sustained aoe throughput (great burst though), 2) Extremely clunky gameplay, because synching our CDs is a total pain and you have too many short term buffs CDs to track.

Disc can now set up higher absorption stacks than before. That means if the incoming damage is low disc owns the meters. In some fights which are all burst, I have no trouble keeping up with monks and shamans in the beta. Sometimes I am actually well above as disc. However when there is high sustained incoming damage disc's throughput is low. With a reasonable level of overheal disc peaks out at roughly 50k HPS sustained. Holy is about 20% higher at 60k HPS. Shamans on 25 man can hit 50k HPS just with healing rain and their healing totem. That is right when there is constant moderate to high incoming damage a shaman will heal as much as disc does with just his healing rain and totem. As for monks.... I have personally clocked monks at 70+k HPS with 40% overheal. Paladins and druids are also roughly 20% more than disc.

Basically the viability of disc hinges on exceptional tank healing and the fact that barrier and spirit shell are absolutely outstanding CDs. That is right we are great tank healers or CD whores.

People playing disc at 85 and thinking that it owns are in for a rude awakening. The incoming damage right now in DS is so low that you totally absorb everything with spirit shell and aegis. That means there is nothing left for other healers to heal. At 90 on the other hand mana is tighter so building big stacks is harder and the damage is much higher so you won't really absorb a very big chunk of it. On the other hand because our sustained HPS is so low AND so slow (no instant smart heals or DH) when the raid spikes hard and low other classes get most of the healing. When you actually at our healing potential too, its really really low compared to other healers. If a fight is all about being able to do X amount of healing, rather than being able to keep people up through heavy burst damage, then disc is really really bad.

The second big problem is the playstyle. In order to maximise healing as disc you have to maximise your burst healing. That means setting up the highest absorption stacks that you can and blowing your short term CDs during those burst phases. That basically means synching your archangel and spirit shell with the incoming damage. Unfortunately archangel and spirit shell don't stack, so if you are using spirit shell on CD you have to synch a 45seconds per minute and a 30s CD archangel. To maximise archangel uptime you need to use it 1.5 times per minute. I.e. you spirit shell then immediately after use AA, then restack evangelism and use AA again before spirit shell is off CD. After spirit shell you then have to quickly stack AA and use archangel again, then restack evangelism and keep it alive until after the next spirit shell restarting the cycle.

To do that you need to use holy fire and penance on the boss pretty much on CD. Smite is bad so you want to avoid using it if poss. If you are also helping with the tank you need to keep grace up on him, because if you lose it you can't restack it easily (penance is used to stack evangelism). Then you have your aegis stack, which you need to keep alive until the big spike hits and at the same time ensure that it does not expire when you are stacking spirit shell. Aside from that you need track rapture and weakened soul. So here is what you need to pay attention to

Evangelism stacks and archangel (30s CD)
    Spirit shell (1min cd) must not be up at the same time as archangel
    Inner focus (45s CD modified by gheal casts) must not be used during archangel since it wont affect it
    Grace (15s buff if you are healing a tank part time)
    penance (10s cd) must be used on boss
    holy fire (10s cd)
    weakend soul/rapture (15s debuff, 12s cooldown) and PWS usage (must pick a good target so its used up)
    Aegis (15s buff) must not be stacked if you are going to use a full 15s spirit shell before the damage hits
    Mindbender (1 min CD) must try to minimise clashes with archangel and spirit shell
    Cascade (45s cd) should ideally be used when archangel is up.

Basically you have a ton of short term CDs and spells all of which must not really be used during spirit shell and you are going to be using spirit shell extremely frequently and three (grace, aegis, evangelism) short duration buffs that you have to constantly stack and keep alive.

In other words its damn near impossible to not trip over yourself. You have to maximise spirit shell and that means you won't be able to use everything else to its full potential. Almost every single CD disc has clashes with something else and you are constantly forced to make the least worse rather than the best choice. For example if you are going to stack the full spirit shell before the damage spike starts you are going to use any aegis stacks you have built. The vast majority of players is probably not going to use everything, but rather focus on a simplified sequence and potentially just using archangel once a minute instead of 1.5 per minute. Although that simplifies the playstyle it comes at an HPS cost. So actual HPS for almost all players will be noticeably below the theoretical maximum which is already low.

Nerfing penance was the worst thing that could ever have happened to disc. When penance stacked 3 evangelisms stacking archangel was dead easy. You could do it without casting a single holy fire or smite if you wanted to and it only took two casts per 30s, leaving us more time to synch the rest of our CDs and some penances to use for stacking grace.

Disc needs a number of changes.

1) We need archangel to be usable at 10% mroe healing without evangelism and each evangelism stack should give 3%.
    2) Penance should stack more than one evangelism. Three is great, but two is ok.
    3) We need to be able to stack evangelism from some heals as well.
    4) Spirit shell needs to refresh aegis duration on the target.
    5) Inner focus needs to increase spirit shell healing.
    6) The mana cost of PWS needs to go down a bit.

With these changes I think disc will be ok. Throughput will still be lower, but our great CDs and OP tank healing will make up for it. Without these changes. Disc will be either a tank healer or a CD whore.

Power Infusion if you have it
    Mindbender if you have it

15+ Year Old Account
    The reason Disc feels suddenly much weaker in the beta than before is that effectively - disc didn't need spirit before the patch - so all the item level invested in spirit gear was instead Crit or Haste or Mastery or Int (enchants, gems). Suddenly, Disc needs a 2k-4k spirit to be able to heal like it used to - so that's 2k-4k lower item level (worth of spirit) that every disc priest lost as of the patch. The old rapture model successfully covered Disc's mana needs entirely while building int (our strongest throughput and mana return stat), we can reforge to spirit to fix this of course - but it costs us now.

The best use for Disc right now is as Switch DPS - in fights where you don't need a healer for most of it - but when things get bad toward the end of the fight you definitely will need another healer or two - Disc can bring some dps and pretty good healing just via Atonement, and then go full healing when the time comes. For example, before solo healing Ultraxion was possible, disc priests filled a niche very well where they could add a pretty solid chunk of raid dps until they were needed. The same was true when Beth'ilac was challenging - sending a disc priest up with the tank and a dps meant getting another 15-20k dps on Beth each time before she came down - that made the final phase much easier - and that was pretty well unique amongst the healers.

I like that Disc has that unique niche, I'd like to see it used more often. I don't think Blizzard realized that swapping Rapture to spirit based regen would have such an effect on disc's performance - but it makes sense in retrospect and I hope they recognize it and fix the gap. Disc certainly isn't bad right now, but in a raid scenario - it's not quite as good as other healers at healing is all (its better than them at dealing damage AND healing though!
    Last edited by Yvaelle; 2012-09-06 at 10:16 PM.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SkillOverKill View Post
    The reason Disc feels suddenly much weaker in the beta than before is that effectively - disc didn't need spirit before the patch - so all the item level invested in spirit gear was instead Crit or Haste or Mastery or Int (enchants, gems). Suddenly, Disc needs a 2k-4k spirit to be able to heal like it used to - so that's 2k-4k lower item level (worth of spirit) that every disc priest lost as of the patch. The old rapture model successfully covered Disc's mana needs entirely while building int (our strongest throughput and mana return stat), we can reforge to spirit to fix this of course - but it costs us now.

The best use for Disc right now is as Switch DPS - in fights where you don't need a healer for most of it - but when things get bad toward the end of the fight you definitely will need another healer or two - Disc can bring some dps and pretty good healing just via Atonement, and then go full healing when the time comes. For example, before solo healing Ultraxion was possible, disc priests filled a niche very well where they could add a pretty solid chunk of raid dps until they were needed. The same was true when Beth'ilac was challenging - sending a disc priest up with the tank and a dps meant getting another 15-20k dps on Beth each time before she came down - that made the final phase much easier - and that was pretty well unique amongst the healers.

I like that Disc has that unique niche, I'd like to see it used more often. I don't think Blizzard realized that swapping Rapture to spirit based regen would have such an effect on disc's performance - but it makes sense in retrospect and I hope they recognize it and fix the gap. Disc certainly isn't bad right now, but in a raid scenario - it's not quite as good as other healers at healing is all (its better than them at dealing damage AND healing though!
    Sry but you got it wrong. Monks are pretty damn good at DPSing while healing too, shamans can do it too. In fact shamans are great at it, because they get tons of healing from just rain and their totem. Disc is no longer the only spec able to heal while DPSing and in fact we not even the best at it anymore.

Having to use spirit, is neither here nor there for disc. The throughput we lose from having to stack spirit is next to nothing. Where we do lose tons is because a lot of our CDs don't work with each other, so they end up being much worse than they appear to be on paper. Even if we had the regen that we do now without using spirit, we would still have exactly the same problems. Blizzard didn't realise that the switch to spirit would affect our performance, because it doesn't.

Having PWS become so expensive hurts us 100x more than switching rapture to spirit.
    Last edited by mmoc58baca37e6; 2012-09-06 at 10:37 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Havoc12 View Post

Disc at level 90 right now has serious problems: 1) Low sustained aoe throughput (great burst though), 2) Extremely clunky gameplay, because synching our CDs is a total pain and you have too many short term buffs CDs to track.

s for monks.... I have personally clocked monks at 70+k HPS with 40% overheal. Paladins and druids are also roughly 20% more than disc.

Evangelism stacks and archangel (30s CD)
    Spirit shell (1min cd) must not be up at the same time as archangel
    Inner focus (45s CD modified by gheal casts) must not be used during archangel since it wont affect it
    Grace (15s buff if you are healing a tank part time)
    penance (10s cd) must be used on boss
    holy fire (10s cd)
    weakend soul/rapture (15s debuff, 12s cooldown) and PWS usage (must pick a good target so its used up)
    Aegis (15s buff) must not be stacked if you are going to use a full 15s spirit shell before the damage hits
    Mindbender (1 min CD) must try to minimise clashes with archangel and spirit shell
    Cascade (45s cd) should ideally be used when archangel is up.

Basically you have a ton of short term CDs and spells all of which must not really be used during spirit shell and you are going to be using spirit shell extremely frequently and three (grace, aegis, evangelism) short duration buffs that you have to constantly stack and keep alive.

In other words its damn near impossible to not trip over yourself. You have to maximise spirit shell and that means you won't be able to use everything else to its full potential.

Nerfing penance was the worst thing that could ever have happened to disc. When penance stacked 3 evangelisms stacking archangel was dead easy. You could do it without casting a single holy fire or smite if you wanted to and it only took two casts per 30s, leaving us more time to synch the rest of our CDs and some penances to use for stacking grace.

Disc needs a number of changes.

1) We need archangel to be usable at 10% mroe healing without evangelism and each evangelism stack should give 3%.
    2) Penance should stack more than one evangelism. Three is great, but two is ok.
    3) We need to be able to stack evangelism from some heals as well.
    4) Spirit shell needs to refresh aegis duration on the target.
    5) Inner focus needs to increase spirit shell healing.
    6) The mana cost of PWS needs to go down a bit.

With these changes I think disc will be ok. Throughput will still be lower, but our great CDs and OP tank healing will make up for it. Without these changes. Disc will be either a tank healer or a CD whore.
    I don't want to be a tank healer, I want to be a raid healer like I was in cata

I agree with most of what you said. I don't agree with your suggests #4 or #5 because SS is borderline OP as it is, and anything more will require a nerf

-IF and AA should not be castable while SS is up so that we don't accidentally waste them.
    -I found heroic DS healing difficult still. There is too much to manage to be able to focus on really difficult or unfamiliar boss mechanics. In Heroic DS I was 15% below a Druid healer I'm usually within 15% of. This is going to trip me up when learning new dungeons/raids so I rolled a Paladin
    - I don't like required AA/A, but if we must have it healing should build stacks too. Holy Fire and Heal have the end result of healing, and Holy fire has the "bonus" of being a smart heal and fun for those who like to dps + does damage and can be glyphed to be instant. There is no reason why Heal shouldn't give a stack of evangelism
    -In a perfect world, I'd make AA/A like a paladin's seal - a toggle on and off that we can select on and off at whim. Then we can chose to dps or not depending on our preference. I propose that non-AA/A should give us back the PoH glyph (20% of the healing becomes heal over time over 6 seconds), since it will give us more steady throughput. Then have Archangel on a longer cooldown (2 mins sounds about right) so that we'd have less frequent and lower burst to balance against AA/A. In sum, PoH will be a little bit stronger, we'd lose the Evangelism buff, and Archangel would be on a longer CD. (my dream for this is that PoH and Archangel appear different when not in AA/A, perhaps being pink and orange like a sunset or aura..it would be pretty)
    "Healing is a game of Hungry Hungry Hippos. All the healers try to gobble all the marbles up. Disc priests take the marbles off the board."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Havoc12 View Post
    Nice rant. This was helpful. (Seriously, it may be complaining, but it reads like a spec guide also.)

Disc is fun right now, the only thing left to fix is numbers. I'd say the spec is in a healthier state than Shadow is right now: boring, but balanced.

Disc priest will always be "needed" during heroic progression, so as long as you're doing "heroic" progression you should be fine, it's not the disc priest job to heal through damage, it's their job to keep damage from happening! And Spirit Shell SCREAMS it!

Is blizzard going to address these issues? Every day when class changes or class discussion is released on MMO, I always expect there to be SOME mention of disc priest. There never is any. Is blizzard just ignoring this? What is their stance? If they are supporting the current build, is there anywhere that says so?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saladface View Post
    Is blizzard going to address these issues? Every day when class changes or class discussion is released on MMO, I always expect there to be SOME mention of disc priest. There never is any. Is blizzard just ignoring this? What is their stance? If they are supporting the current build, is there anywhere that says so?
    From what I have observed, they cycle through different classes. There are usually one or two classes that are being ignored at a time, but blizz eventually comes back to them.

I'm not worried about low throughput that much, providing that the wow community recognizes us as necessarily having lower hps than other healers. My complaints are mostly about not enjoying how complicated the "rotation" is because it has a stop-start healing feel due to required dps and so many short cds that we have to maintain, yet don't heal themselves. Hitting a button like mindbender every minute, for example, doesn't feel meaningful it just feels like maintenance. Pair that with everything the above poster listed, and it feels more like we're hitting buttons for the sake of hitting them (because we have to) rather than making intelligent decisions about how/when to use them. The new IF is better imo, but Archangel and Power infusion are too powerful to not use on cd most of the time and so on...

I like to heal as fast as my hands will let me and flow from one move to the next. I like my CDs to be meaningful and deliberate. SoS/ToT felt like that to me in cata. Disc is just frantic now, and all it would take to fix this is to give us back an option that we had previously

I will say that Spirit Shell saves the new patch/spec for me atm. This is what Disc is all about.
    "Healing is a game of Hungry Hungry Hippos. All the healers try to gobble all the marbles up. Disc priests take the marbles off the board."

I agree with Havoc12 about the clunky playstyle. We have more Cds to track than a dpser, which I don't particularly mind but is probably too complicated for your casual player to understand. There are a couple of posts on the bnet forums about this but the blizz devs seem stubborn to hammer down our throats their definition of "fun".

Heaps of people are looking at level 85 35% nerfed DS and going "spirit shell is OP". Its true for now with low, predictable aoe damage, which is handled easily by spirit shell, which skews the numbers.

In level 90 raids, where there is an X amount of damage going out, spirit shell is just not enough to justify disc priests' extremely low throughput. I mean, you are rarely going to get an encounter where the boss only does one large aoe per minute and nothing else. Well, heroic Nefarian is as close as it gets. However, note that once that single big hit goes out, you'll need to /cancelaura your spirit shell buff to actually heal up the raid (or your absorbs will get wasted). Spirit shell is seriously clunky and restrictive despite being wrongly perceived as the best thing since sliced bread.

As for our "niche" of bringing some light dps to the raid, that feels like a terrible excuse to justify a raid spot. And its not like disc priests are the only healers with offensive capabilities as mentioned in earlier posts.

Other healers have on-par dps, while bringing outright more sustained healing and throughput. And I don't particularly like the idea of being brought to a raid just for a CD or buff, ie wrath shamans and tbc spriests. Its degrading to have your only contribution to the raid be a button you press once every 3 minutes.

No serious raid leader will go "hey we need more dps lets bring in a disc priest". Instead, they'll drop the weakest healer for a hybrid dps, especially with the now mega-buffed offspec healing. Heck, you don't even need to be healing-specced to bring a powerful raidwide CD (without the range constraints of barrier either). Monks, pallies, warriors and spriests can fill that niche really well. There are certainly more classes that I might have missed, but my point still stands. Fortunately, disc priests can switch to holy if they don't want to reroll or dps.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wish I could better explain why I hate to dps as disc, but mainly it just impacts the feel of the rotation in a way that bothers me. I don't like casting anything that doesn't heal, and when it does I want it to have a real impact instead of bringing us up to the same level as other healers. SS, Barrier, Divine Hymn, Shadowfiend (on a longer cd), Hymn of Hope (longer cd) and Archangel (on a longer cooldown) feel good to cast. Put anything on a short cd and balance us around that, and then we just have to mindlessly hit the button and interrupt our healing. Not fun

I don't like having to face the boss. I found myself in heroic spine facing the wrong way due to penance (and naturally got spammed with "you are facing the wrong way) and had to turn in circles while healing until I got one to cast. I almost got thrown off Deathwing when he turned because I was disoriented, but I needed AA to survive upcoming phase. I would much rather be hitting a healing spell with that time. In cata I had that choice.

I don't like RNG. Smart heals are not interesting because you simply hit the button without thought (other than which way you're facing I guess). I like to have control over the players I heal and when. It's a small detail but it adds to my grumpiness.

I enjoy healing the most when I can move from player to player in the raid frames as fast as my hands will let me, deciding within a fraction of a second which heal to apply for the quantity of damage received. Eventually I reach "flow" and become very relaxed, in spite of how crazy fast I'm healing damage. Stopping to hit short cds and dps prevents me from reaching that state of intuitive natural flowing healing. That's what a lot of people refer to as clunky

I also don't enjoy dpsing thematically as it feels gimicky. I get pleasure dpsing when I'm dps, but when I'm healing that's all I really care about

I am not a happy priest. I really hope I enjoy my paladin, but it's hard to tell until 85 :/

SS is great because it WILL get better with our gear. I was reading about it and apparently it was still very strong in beta at level 90 *hopes that is true*

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirse View Post
    I don't like having to face the boss.
    This, so many times.

Quote Originally Posted by Gurushockin View Post
    Disc priest will always be "needed" during heroic progression, so as long as you're doing "heroic" progression you should be fine, it's not the disc priest job to heal through damage, it's their job to keep damage from happening! And Spirit Shell SCREAMS it!
    That's what I think as well, but it's still sad to be "underpowered" compared to other healers.
    Damage prevention is extremely good, but I don't think that Disc should be punished for that with a much worse heal throughput.

That said, I think it's just an easy-to-fix issue via number tweaking. Leave the healing as it is maybe and crank up the absorb values. Who cares about current 85.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirse View Post
    I wish I could better explain why I hate to dps as disc, but mainly it just impacts the feel of the rotation in a way that bothers me. I don't like casting anything that doesn't heal, and when it does I want it to have a real impact instead of bringing us up to the same level as other healers. SS, Barrier, Divine Hymn, Shadowfiend (on a longer cd), Hymn of Hope (longer cd) and Archangel (on a longer cooldown) feel good to cast. Put anything on a short cd and balance us around that, and then we just have to mindlessly hit the button and interrupt our healing. Not fun

I don't like having to face the boss. I found myself in heroic spine facing the wrong way due to penance (and naturally got spammed with "you are facing the wrong way) and had to turn in circles while healing until I got one to cast. I almost got thrown off Deathwing when he turned because I was disoriented, but I needed AA to survive upcoming phase. I would much rather be hitting a healing spell with that time. In cata I had that choice.

I don't like RNG. Smart heals are not interesting because you simply hit the button without thought (other than which way you're facing I guess). I like to have control over the players I heal and when. It's a small detail but it adds to my grumpiness.

I enjoy healing the most when I can move from player to player in the raid frames as fast as my hands will let me, deciding within a fraction of a second which heal to apply for the quantity of damage received. Eventually I reach "flow" and become very relaxed, in spite of how crazy fast I'm healing damage. Stopping to hit short cds and dps prevents me from reaching that state of intuitive natural flowing healing. That's what a lot of people refer to as clunky

I also don't enjoy dpsing thematically as it feels gimicky. I get pleasure dpsing when I'm dps, but when I'm healing that's all I really care about

I am not a happy priest. I really hope I enjoy my paladin, but it's hard to tell until 85 :/

SS is great because it WILL get better with our gear. I was reading about it and apparently it was still very strong in beta at level 90 *hopes that is true*
    What you just described is a serious condition of tunnelvision blended with an unmatched urge to play whack the mole .

I enjoy downing bosses and if the doing dmg and turning towards the boss helps us do that then so be it!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Yilar View Post
    What you just described is a serious condition of tunnelvision blended with an unmatched urge to play whack the mole .
    When you have too many short CDs, that's exactly what it happens. If you pay attention to the environment, you will play your CDs in a sloppy way. Managing Rapture / WS, Grace, HF, Penance, Mindbender, SS, PoM, IF, AA/A as well as the longer PI, PW:B, PS feels a little as a whack-a-mole, and distracts from the fight.

If healing disc is too complicated for you, try something else. I honestly will not believe that disc priest are as bad as some people think it is. I'm sure that being reduced to a dps and on-call healer is not what Blizzard intended and I think it shows how little faith you have on your disc priests. I have always been able to manage AA, Grace and bubbles while topping the meters. I love that disc healing as complicated as it is, because if you are good at it, it really shows.