Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    csu-en I'd pronounce it. It is probably not right, but this is how I imagine it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Constellation View Post
    clickie on the male Pandaren NPCs wandering around and they say "Xuen watch over you"
    Which way do they pronounce it?

Quote Originally Posted by Constellation View Post
    clickie on the male Pandaren NPCs wandering around and they say "Xuen watch over you"
    I only ever hear them say "White Tiger watch over you."
    When in doubt, simply ask yourself: "What would Garrosh do?"

#wwgd

X-Wing

:P

Deleted
    I would pronounce it "ksu-en", that's how it's spelt... Why would you spell it with an X if you don't want it pronounced as one?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivin View Post
    I always pronounce it "zoo-en.
    This. But as English isn`t my mother tongue, I always think I pronounce it good, while it`s actually off by a mile.
    Pokemon Y / Pokemon OR
    Friendcode: 0791-2124-3938 (IGN: Michiel)

Deleted
    for my TTS is XUN

Shu-en. Emphasis on second sylable
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

Shu-en I guess.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaozu View Post
    I would pronounce it "ksu-en", that's how it's spelt... Why would you spell it with an X if you don't want it pronounced as one?
    In English, X doesn't make a "ks" sound if it's the first letter in the word. It makes the same sound as Z, such as in xylophone.

(And yes, I'm aware that it's supposed to be a Chinese pronunciation, but I can't think of any word that starts with an X pronounced "ks" in English so all of the comments saying "ksu-en" are a bit baffling.)
    Last edited by Rivin; 2012-09-05 at 07:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaozu View Post
    This is pinyin latinization. Just so you know, there is more than one language that uses latin letters. For example in italian "ch" would be pronounced as "k" and "cc" would be pronounced as "ch". And if you think this is illogical, think back to english and how you pronounce "Knight".
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

Based on the fact that it's a name from the heavily Chinese-based class/race/expansion, I'd say that the people who are either native Chinese or who speak Mandarin/Cantonese well and are all agreeing that it's "Shoo-EN" are the ones who have the correct pronunciation.

Remember, even though most of us speak English, that doesn't mean the name is derived from English and pronounced in an "English" style.

Hi I am a chinese from Singapore, long time reader of MMOC. There are 2 ways to pronounce this name depending on what Blizzard intends to use. There is no such word 'Xuen' in chinese pinyin, its either Xuan (玄) or Xu En (徐恩).

1. Xuan (玄) is pronounce as Sh-when, Shwen ~

2. Xu En (徐恩) is pronounce as "She (with lips forming an 'o')" "Urn (yes the vase)"

zu-en, two syllables. maybe blur it into one as kind of sounding like "zwen" hardly thought about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    zoo-enn, I guess my ignorance is showing

Quote Originally Posted by Rivin View Post
    I always pronounce it "zoo-en", although the X makes more of a "sh" sound in Chinese so it's probably meant to be more like "shoo-en" or "shwen".
    thats right, except the sounding of shoo-en is actually spelled Xuan, not Xuen. so not really sure, maybe similar to shoo-an. then again, im not 100% accurate to sounding to writen, i just know a small ammount of written chinese

I still haven't figured it out yet.

I'd go with zhu-en. Like Zha Zha Gabore.

Definintly NOT a kss sound, nor a hard Z sound (not saying that's accurate, just that it's what my brain natters at me if I think upon it at length).

Alright, how should I be saying Quilen? Something tells me I've been saying it wrong, too.

"Thank you" in Chinese is xie-xie (pronounced shay-shay). I'm assuming it's pronounced shoo-en.
    Anyone else think Jaime Lannister only has the Kingslayer title because he was just too lazy to kill the king on heroic mode?