Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Does GW2 have any competitive gameplay ?

I just don't get whats any good about guild wars 2. Just doing BGs and puzzles ?
    Can someone help me out here because i really don't understand why anyone would bother to play this game.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...tiated-READ-ME!

Hint: Tournament sPvP.

Lock this thread.

Admittedly, I do not have an 80 in GW2 yet but my reason for playing the game is simply that it's fun. The enjoyment of GW2 comes from exploring the world (which you don't realize just how big it is until you do start exploring) and finding things to do. The game gives you something that hasn't really existed in an MMORPG in years: options. Before WoW, MMORPG's were not all about racing to max level and farming the same dungeon over and over again. They were about immersing yourself in the game world, exploring, and discovering. Today, most MMORPG's are basically the same; you race to max level in the most direct route possible (most developers have even reduced the amount of zones you go through while leveling, taking away options but making your path shorter and more direct), you gear up through one level of dungeons only to clear and farm the same raid dungeon for months on end. This isn't exclusive to WoW, it's what MMORPG's have become and what many players expect from them.

GW2 on the other hand, is a step closer to the way games used to be. Granted, if you are the type of player who only likes raiding, you're probably not going to be very happy with GW2. There are dungeons and they have 2 difficulties, but there are no end game raids as far as I know. For me, I like it so far. The game not having a monthly fee means I can play alongside another game without feeling like I'm not getting my money's worth if I don't log in 24/7. I'm enjoying casually leveling through the massive zones, which are beautiful and have a realistic feel to them imo. I like that you can see the results of a world event laid out in front of you (for example a battle over a bridge can result in the bridge being repaired or lost) and I like that crafting actually serves a purpose in this game. And I like that with size of the world, I have incentive to level an alt and see the stuff I don't see the first time through.

...because the only reason people play games to show off their epeen. I really pity the OP, must be a very sad life.

P.S. Competitive gameplay is PvP

Yea, that's not really needed. Mind the passive aggressive BS.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-09-09 at 04:11 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mafao View Post
    ...because the only reason people play games to show off their epeen. I really pity the OP, must be a very sad life.

P.S. Competitive gameplay is PvP
    You don't have to be a dick just because the OP would like some competition while playing the game. Do you pity soccer players that try to advance to a higher league? Do you pity Starcraft players than strive to perfect their gameplay? Hell, do you pity those that follow an extra class in university because they want an edge over others when applying for a job? A great part of life is about competition, and it always has been. It's pretty much in our nature to compare ourselves to others. So next time, try not to be the ignorant prick.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Naemesiz View Post
    You don't have to be a dick just because the OP would like some competition while playing the game. Do you pity soccer players that try to advance to a higher league? Do you pity Starcraft players than strive to perfect their gameplay? Hell, do you pity those that follow an extra class in university because they want an edge over others when applying for a job? A great part of life is about competition, and it always has been. It's pretty much in our nature to compare ourselves to others. So next time, try not to be the ignorant prick.
    To be fair 'I don't see why anyone would bother to play this game' is a pretty ignorant statement considering, oh, not everyone has the same preferences and not everyone wants to do the same stuff? I'm all for competitive play, but I like PvE (Shoot me.)

Deleted
    The same reason most people play most games for...fun.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakash View Post
    I just don't get whats any good about guild wars 2. Just doing BGs and puzzles ?
    Can someone help me out here because i really don't understand why anyone would bother to play this game.
    What's wrongs with puzzles ?

Quote Originally Posted by Naemesiz View Post
    I have no problem with people wanting to compete. I like competition myself. But please, read his post again. He clearly suggest that any non-competetive activity is not worthwhile and the only reason people play games (and probably do anything else) is to show that they are better then others. Moreover, he suggests that any activity which does not involve competition and people who enjoy said activities are not worth his attention. You don't have to be a psychologist to learn a few things about the OP (unless he is trolling/baiting, which is also possible). His post is extremely ignorant, insulting and limited. Now, if he asked the same things along the lines of 'What I enjoy most is competitive gameplay, and I am unsure if GW2 has something to offer in this department', my answer would have been different.

Because it's a game, it's meant to be fun, not show off how "awesome you are".

@OP

There is tournament PVP and server rivalry. We have a good thread on the specifics of PVP here: link.

All PVE content in the game is designed to be cooperative.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever the Regent-Lord needs me to be
    my PvP for WoW and SWtOR, I play GW2 just to lvl on my off hours.

Quote Originally Posted by VibrantViolet View Post
    Because it's a game, it's meant to be fun, not show off how "awesome you are".
    Why does it reward you with unique cosmetic gear then?

10+ Year Old Account
    There's a thin line between being competitive and a douchebag, I think you're aiming for the second one, but yes there is a competitive scene, tournament bg's.

Infracted
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-09-09 at 04:17 PM.

Okay. Listen up, there is no need to insult the OP at all. It's fine if ya'll disagree. But direct or indirect name-calling is the opposite of posting awesome. Make your arguments sans the bull****

Also, stop reminding others you play for "fun". That's going nowhere fast.

--Fencers

Fencers, why don't you just lock the thread? The question has been answered and I don't believe that there is anything more constructive to add.

It's not part of policy to lock threads which have been "answered". Administration frowns on it. And in truth someone will bring this up again. Better to let these threads burn off naturally.

Here's a tip that I am not currently following: These type of threads die quickly without responses. Disengage~! XD

More seriously: play nice ya'll.

15+ Year Old Account
    I believe the 'End Game' in this game is the WvW and Spvp. I think thats why this game will be turned away by several people. they want Raiding, as we are all use to the way games are designed by WoW, Rift, Etc. this game is different which is why people are having a hardtime getting into it. because even like the Designers said, if you plan to play the game like every other mmo, then you will have trouble.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Doing even a shred of your own research could easily answer that question for you, OP.

-In Rift you start doing the worthwhile and interesting stuff at level cap.
    -In GW2 you do the interseting and worthwhile stuff while getting to level cap.

But yea, endgame is PvP.

(OP plays Rift so that's why I made the comparison/contrast)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by HBpapa View Post
    Doing even a shred of your own research could easily answer that question for you, OP.

-In Rift you start doing the worthwhile and interesting stuff at level cap.
    -In GW2 you do the interseting and worthwhile stuff while getting to level cap.

But yea, endgame is PvP.

(OP plays Rift so that's why I made the comparison/contrast)
    Just because there are no raids doesn't mean endgame is only pvp.. I mean did anyone here complete 100% map + all puzzles + all dungeons sm + em (3/4 paths)?
    If no then it's the same as wow/rift/etc where you play your pve contents until you complete all.. I haven't even started on dungeons yet (well did 2 while lvling).. just sayin' bro's.