Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    How did Arenanet know I like to go swimming in an evening gown before playing GW2!? Stalkery much?

It is a very stupid way to promote your game. Rather than focus on GW2, they try to be artsy and sell a side, paiting themselves as the "saviors" of the genre, and implying that playing anything else will make you a zombie. Their use of bimbos doesn't help to promote their idea.

Wanna know how to do A REAL live action trailer that helps sell the idea and theme of your game? Look at Deus Ex.

Here is the original trailer:

As you can see, its a regular CGI trailer that promotes the game. Now look at their live action trailer:

THAT is a true piece of art.

It doesn't have any flashy special effects, and nothing shown on that trailer is actually seen on the game, but the trailer itself is an in-universe add for a radicalist group you will fight within the game, and helps illustrate PERFECTLY the thematic of Deus Ex (Humanism vs Artificial Enhancement) while using great music, and evoking a large amount of feelings on gamers. I've seen that trailer dozens of times, and I still get goosebumps near the end due to how awesome it is.

Por que odiar si amar es mas dulce? (*^_^*)

Deleted
    I thought it was misnamed trailer for Secret World if not for the last twenty or so seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by Derah View Post

As you can see, its a regular CGI trailer that promotes the game. Now look at their live action trailer:

It doesn't have any flashy special effects, and nothing shown on that trailer is actually seen on the game, but the trailer itself is an in-universe add for a radicalist group you will fight within the game, and helps illustrate PERFECTLY the thematic of Deus Ex (Humanism vs Artificial Enhancement) while using great music, and evoking a large amount of feelings on gamers. I've seen that trailer dozens of times, and I still get goosebumps near the end due to how awesome it is.
    Damn, now THAT's a live action trailer that makes you wanna play the game.

Now look at their live action trailer:
    <snip>

Even as someone that hasn't played the Deus Ex games, from this I get a feeling. A solid theme that translates into emotion. I may not know which side I'm on (I'm presuming the ad's from the PoV of the antagonists?), but I'm pulled into the universe and through that it's made real.

Someone else pointed out the Wrath trailer, and it again has a theme, an emotional response. A visual effect it's going for. It paints us a world, and tells us a story.

The GW2 ad? Far too abstract to actually have something to hold onto. A bunch of mishmashed things crammed together to feel trendy, "artsy" I see getting thrown around here, and it just doesn't work.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by peterpan007 View Post
    I think the EverQuest Online Adventures commercial was even better

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-CHG_To7Ag
    Actually, You re right this old one have more feeling, that GW2 one.

It is a very stupid way to promote your game. Rather than focus on GW2, they try to be artsy and sell a side, paiting themselves as the "saviors" of the genre, and implying that playing anything else will make you a zombie. Their use of bimbos doesn't help to promote their idea.

Wanna know how to do A REAL live action trailer that helps sell the idea and theme of your game? Look at Deus Ex.

Here is the original trailer:

Wow. My mind is seriously blown.

Quote Originally Posted by Zom View Post
    Damn, now THAT's a live action trailer that makes you wanna play the game.
    hehehehe :P Yes, even people who didn't liked Deus Ex (The game isn't for everyone) can't deny that's one of the finest trailers ever made.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    Even as someone that hasn't played the Deus Ex games, from this I get a feeling. A solid theme that translates into emotion. I may not know which side I'm on (I'm presuming the ad's from the PoV of the antagonists?), but I'm pulled into the universe and through that it's made real.
    Yeah =D (I fully recommend anyone the Deus Ex game, its truly amazing, though I'll warn right now that even though its in first person, playing this game as an FPS "call of duty" style is gonna result in a LOT of game-over screens. This is a brutally hard game that empathizes stealth over brute force)

They really nailed every concept of their game into their trailer, and they did it without flashy special effects (at best there's some make up effects for the artificial limbs) and without flashy models (seriously, as proven by games like Evony, using paid bimbos to sell a product is the cheapest and laziest form of publicity ever) and without abstract, artsy, over-the-top slogans. Not only they manage to fully describe the main theme of the game and make you potentially wanna play it, but it also evokes an emotion on the viewer. Anyone who doesn't get even a slight goosebump near the end, is almost not human.

The GW2 ad? Far too abstract to actually have something to hold onto. A bunch of mishmashed things crammed together to feel trendy, "artsy" I see getting thrown around here, and it just doesn't work.
    My main gripe is their use of models, I know sex sells, but come on......... the last thing we need is game ads becoming like the perfume/make up/jewelry ads. What's next? calvin klein deciding the next trailer of Assassin's Creed?

Plus that trailer seemed more interested in selling a side (JOIN THE REVOLUTION, REBEL AGAINST THE OPPRESIVE EVIL CORPORATIONS SUCKING YOUR MONEY) than selling a game. Its kinda sad that the only bit of the trailer even remotely good is the few scarse seconds that actually show in-game footage.

Plus that trailer seemed more interested in selling a side (JOIN THE REVOLUTION, REBEL AGAINST THE OPPRESIVE EVIL CORPORATIONS SUCKING YOUR MONEY) than selling a game. Its kinda sad that the only bit of the trailer even remotely good is the few scarse seconds that actually show in-game footage.
    Just curious, can you actually pick the corporation side in Deus Ex? Without spoiling too much. I honestly kinda wanted to side with the corporations rather than the rebels after watching that clip, but I suspect that like many other story driven games, you're locked into one side?

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow that Deus Ex live trailer was AMAZING. I've never played the games, but wow, def makes me want to. Or at least cross my fingers the concept is made into a movie.
    Last edited by ayimera; 2012-09-11 at 08:44 PM.
    Tarnished Coast [CRZY]
    Kumorii - 80 Mesmer
    Chärity - 80 Guardian
    Calinë - 80 Elementalist

Quote Originally Posted by Eiserne Drossel View Post
    Unsure if I should post this one here but, uhm.. I posted it in the video thread as well. If mods think this thread should be removed, or locked, it's all fine, obviously.

So, what do you think about this one? I think it started out odd, but it was unqiue, in some way.
    At first I thought it was a fan made trailer but I guess not. I am very suprised at how much ANET is pushing their philosophy for what MMO's should be like and to be on the same page with them is like riding a real good wave. That trailer is totally not for the normal gamer, it is for their target audience and its for those of us that have grown tired of these skinner box MMO clones and want something that has community, a sense of exploration and competitive PvP along with a ton of fun. This game has true soul and its going to be better than anything out there for the true MMORPG gamer.

ITT: people thinking that their opinions matter.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggoman View Post
    At first I thought it was a fan made trailer but I guess not. I am very suprised at how much ANET is pushing their philosophy for what MMO's should be like and to be on the same page with them is like riding a real good wave. That trailer is totally not for the normal gamer, it is for their target audience and its for those of us that have grown tired of these skinner box MMO clones and want something that has community, a sense of exploration and competitive PvP along with a ton of fun. This game has true soul and its going to be better than anything out there for the true MMORPG gamer.
    Yeah but about half of their target gamers don't like it. I'd be embarrassed to admit I play this game if I showed my mate the trailer.

I know I'm not the only one.

I like the game, but the trailer was.....errr what?

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    hehehehe :P Yes, even people who didn't liked Deus Ex (The game isn't for everyone) can't deny that's one of the finest trailers ever made.
    I'm going to go ahead and piss everyone off, but this is the most unoriginal pile of garbage I've ever seen.

Now with that being said, it was executed very well. It's 'pretty' in the way it sticks to a thematic element and story. But there's the catch...the story is a complete rip off of things that have been done hundreds of times, not to mention a cult Musical that basically wrote this game.

Repo, The Genetic Opera was original and amazing. This trailer takes that idea and like 10 other movies to make a video game trailer. Color me unimpressed. At least the GW trailer is honest about how cliche its themes are. It doesn't try to hide that it is calling you to 'revolt' in your gaming. It's the whole point. Here are beautiful people who you want to be, doing things you want to do.

You know what the scientific term for that is? ADVERTISING.

ANet is going against the current not only with game design but also with its trailer. I think they tried to get non-gamers interested in an MMO too, and it worked. Our Time is Now shows a bunch of young people rebelling and doing things against the odds - together. And then it mixes it up with a video game... nice, original idea.

10+ Year Old Account
    Was not impressed with it to be honest, I thought they could of done a lot better.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can see where they were wanting to go with this commercial, but its execution was terrible. The Deus Ex trailer is a much better example of a trailer that paints a picture of the world and its political climate, and actually gets you invested in the world within a matter of minutes. The first 2/3 of the GW2 trailer is spent trying to figure out if this is an add for a shoe, anti-persperant, or a car. Once they get around to it, the transition from RL to ingame is cool but that's about it. This is a definite stinker, and I wouldn't even call it "artsy" unless that is a term you want to shield it from criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    I'm going to go ahead and piss everyone off, but this is the most unoriginal pile of garbage I've ever seen.
    Well, you're entitled to your opinion, but know you're in the vast minority here, just about everyone who's seen it agrees its mindblowing. About whether or not its original, its debatable, but the quality can't be denied.

Now with that being said, it was executed very well. It's 'pretty' in the way it sticks to a thematic element and story. But there's the catch...the story is a complete rip off of things that have been done hundreds of times, not to mention a cult Musical that basically wrote this game.

Repo, The Genetic Opera was original and amazing. This trailer takes that idea and like 10 other movies to make a video game trailer.
    Now I have to ask: How old is that exactly? because the Deus Ex Franchise goes back to 1999, its a very old game, this just happens to be a prequel of the first one, which shares the same theme. Also yes, this game is heavily inspired in Blade Runner and other Cyber-punk classics. At least it did a great job at doing a homage, rather than go copy&paste mode without any substance. If you haven't tried it, don't judge it. There's a reason why all Deus Ex games (Except Invisible Wars maybe) were met with critical acclaim.

At least the GW trailer is honest about how cliche its themes are.
    Just because its honest, doesn't mean its good.

It doesn't try to hide that it is calling you to 'revolt' in your gaming.
    And that's the main reason why it sucks. Sell the game, not a side. Stop segregating gamers, and stop infusing hate and intolerance. Not to mention how incredibly cocky and arrogant it is to paint themselves as the saviours of a genre. Shouldn't those things be left to the public to decide? I dunno, that's just me thinking.

It's the whole point. Here are beautiful people who you want to be, doing things you want to do.

You know what the scientific term for that is? ADVERTISING.
    I have another term for that, ready for it? its BULLSHIT. Its like putting those hot models in bikinis chasing guys on Axe perfume commercials. "Ohh use our perfumes and you will be a chick magnet". Here's the news flash: While having a nice perfume helps, it takes A HELL OF A LOT MORE than just that if you want an army of fangirls fawning over you. Weren't you praising how honest they were before? if you honestly believe playing this game will make you hot, and will make you hipster, and will make you popular, and will make you awesome, tough break buddy, those are things you gotta WORK for, and no game will do those things for you.

I said it once and I'll say it again, THIS is how you make a good live action trailer. For a game that is.

Quote Originally Posted by ayimera View Post
    Wow that Deus Ex live trailer was AMAZING. I've never played the games, but wow, def makes me want to. Or at least cross my fingers the concept is made into a movie.
    Heh, well its a game I can recommend with flying colors to anyone. Its fun, its challenging, it has a great story, great music, amazing concepts, and a very deep theme ingrained in it. There's talks about a movie, but honestly I dunno how they can pull that off, seeing as the story has a lot of variations depending on how you play.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashnazg View Post
    Just curious, can you actually pick the corporation side in Deus Ex? Without spoiling too much. I honestly kinda wanted to side with the corporations rather than the rebels after watching that clip, but I suspect that like many other story driven games, you're locked into one side?
    Actually, this is a story-driven game that allows a lot of freedom in how you wanna do things. But without spoiling anything, no, you don't join the rebels. Purity First is a terrorist organization, and they are your enemies for the first mission of the game. Plus the protagonist himself is augmented, meaning no "purist" rebel would take him. Of course, the endings are something else entirely, and how much you embrace or reject your own cyborg condition is up to you.
    Last edited by Derah; 2012-09-11 at 09:11 PM.

Deleted
    Well, you're entitled to your opinion, but know you're in the vast minority here, just about everyone who's seen it agrees its mindblowing.
    This kinda feels like omg 12 milion ppl are playing my game , that why it rocks while urs its 1 milion , that why sucks and ur wrong :P